PDA

View Full Version : Procrastinators Unite!

scrabble
01-25-2008, 05:01
But it really doesn't have to be right now. You know, just sometime.

Anyway, I'm behind on gear acquisition and food preperation, but if all goes as planned, I'll be starting on March 4th (ha!) near Waynesboro, Va. headed south for a flip-flop thru-hike. I'll be hiking with a friend from high school who has yet to receive a trail name but I'm sure that won't take long. Anyway, I have my mostly cobbled together gear list ready for the input of the community, so have at it. Also, anyone want to give any input, anecdotal or otherwise about temps in virginia in march? I mean I know it will be cold, but something a bit more concrete and/or scary would be nice.

Guestimated wheights in (parenthesis)

Big Stuff
Tarptent and Accessories 2lbs 9oz
Granite Gear Vapor Trail 2lbs 1.5oz
Thermarest ProLite 3 Regular 1lbs 4oz
Marmot Pinnacle 15° Long + Dry Bag (2lbs 11oz)
Silk Sleeping Bag Liner 4.4
Leki Trekking Poles ???

Clothing
Capilene Boxers x2
Icebreaker Bodyfit short sleeve base layer (7oz)
Mountain Hardware Powerstretch fleece 10oz
Rain Shell ???
Capilene 2 Zip Crew 8.1oz
Capilene Bottom 5.9oz
Clothing Stuff Sack 0.8oz
MicroFleece Hat 0.9oz (maybe something a little bit heavier?)
Convertible Hiking Pants ???
Socks (Med. Wool or Light Wool + Liner) ???
Marmot Ama Dablam Down Jacket 1lbs 5oz
Camp Shoes ???

Misc.

Inova X1 Fashlight 3.8oz
Platapus Big-Zip 2.5L 5.9oz
Pack Towel 2.6oz
Toothpaste + Brush 2oz
Gelled Alchohol Hand Sanitizer 2oz
First Aid Kit 3.6oz.

2x 1L Listerine Bottle (2oz) (These fit in the pockets of my backpack better than gatorade bottles and are easier to use to scoop water.)
Lexan Spoon (.5oz)

Shared Stuff
Items split between me and my hiking partner
MSR 2.0L Aluminium Pot
Pot Lid
SimmerLite Stove
Wash Towel
Dr. Bronners
BIC Lighters
PolarPure Iodine
Bearbag cord ~40 ft.
Mini Caribiner

ScottP
01-25-2008, 05:06
sharing gear with a friend is always a mixed bag. It's usually better to be gear-independent so you can split up and get back together at will. 2 Liters for a 2-person pot might be a bit small

You have plenty of cold-weather stuff, I would say--just be psychologically prepared for an end of winter hike

Ramble~On
01-25-2008, 05:14
I was gonna comment on this sooner...but

t-bor
01-25-2008, 08:42
march is usally the worst month for winter weather in va also i find its never a bad idea to take a few extra caribiners they are almost as good as duckt tape you might want to consider buying a weather radio they dont add much weight and will let you know whats comming a few bandanas never hurt any body ethire

Thoughtful Owl
01-25-2008, 10:11
Yeah, March in VA is very unpredictable. We get a real mixed bag of weather. Plan for the worst would be my plan, you never know how it going to be along the Blue Ridge.

D'Artagnan
01-25-2008, 13:34
I don't know why, I just never thought about using Listerine bottles. It makes perfect sense, though. I'll be ditching the Gatorades since they are a beyotch to get back in my Atmos 50's side pouches. Thanks and good luck.

Deadeye
01-25-2008, 13:53
I'll get back to you on this.

Jack Tarlin
01-25-2008, 18:30
Looks good so far.

Some things to think about:

*Maps
*Trail Guidebook
*Diary/Journal
*Something else to read
*Camera
*Bandanas
*Extra batteries
*Gloves
*An extra long-sleeved shirt if you're leaving on 1 March
*Extra water bottles or a larger water bag; it could be a dry spring

scrabble
01-25-2008, 19:12
Thanks for the advice. Most of those things I was planning on bringing and just hadn't listed, but thanks for the suggestions for more water carrying capacity, and possibly another capilene top or something. In regards to gloves, do you think something made out of windstopper fleece or something like that would be sufficient, or do I need something with real insulation?

Tinker
01-26-2008, 01:58
"Procrastinators unite!"

Maybe tomorrow. :p

Jack Tarlin
01-26-2008, 15:12
I carry two pairs of gloves if I'm out on the Trail that early: A warm, waterproof pair (i.e. not just fleece cuz fleeece gets soaked thru eventually) and I also carry a very sheer, very lightweight pair of polypro liner gloves (they cost about six bucks) which come in VERY handy on cold mornings when you're packing up, breaking down a tent, etc. They keep your hands warm while also permitting you the mobility to do things with your hands that you can't always do if you're wearing thick gloves.

Cassiusblack
02-03-2008, 13:50
Jeez where do i begin...
I do have a few good items such as my new Meindl boots which i've worn in nicely. I've got a few other clothes but i still need to find some kind of waterproof hat or hooded jacket that can cover my head without me looking like some kind of insane nun.

The only thing that i should really have gotten by now is my US visa. Thats a little stupid by me but i will make the proper arrangements soon...ish...

wrongway_08
02-03-2008, 14:06
Dang, I am still waiting for my shoes to get here..... better be soon - only 26 days to go!!!

doggiebag
02-03-2008, 14:09
Dang, I am still waiting for my shoes to get here..... better be soon - only 26 days to go!!!
What did you do yesterday ... walk on your hands?:D Now that'll get you into the record books.

aaroniguana
02-03-2008, 15:03
Dyslexics Of The World: UNTIE!

camojack
02-03-2008, 16:11
I'll get a round tuit (http://www.myrtlewoodgallery.com/get_a_round_tuit.htm)... :D

Cassiusblack
02-03-2008, 18:41
I'll get a round tuit (http://www.myrtlewoodgallery.com/get_a_round_tuit.htm)... :D

I already have one of those in my bathroom!

troglobil
02-03-2008, 21:11
two people sharing one pot? might want to bring a mug or bowl, didn't see them on the list

Cherokee Bill
02-05-2008, 19:31
Just a word of warning: "Prepare for the worst, pray for the best". So far it has been pretty dry here in VA and mountain creeks are relatively LOW, now! Winter trout fishing is poor -- low-water--!

When you get to any decent looking water; drink ALL you have and fillup. This practice may your hike more enjoyable :D