PDA

View Full Version : New SPEED RECORD attempt: 29 day thru hike.

RITBlake
01-25-2008, 11:28
Not to be out done by Wild Cowboy, I am hoping to set the bar a bit higher this year and go for a 29 day thru hike and beat him to the punch.

I'm confident that I can hike at the required 75 mile per day pace because last week I walked from one end of the Palisades mall to the other in less then 10 minutes. That's an average of 5.5 miles an hour.

My training regiment has been tough. I'm trying to put some weight on before the hike so I'm on a strict diet of budweiser and burgers. This should help keep the weight on as I make my weigh down south.

By the way does anybody know how to set up a tarp? I don't have much backpacking experience but I grew in the south so I know how to walk in the mountains pretty well.

warraghiyagey
01-25-2008, 11:34
(In voice of Leslie Neilson) I just want to say good luck. We're all counting on you.

Hooch
01-25-2008, 11:34
Not to be out done by Wild Cowboy, I am hoping to set the bar a bit higher this year and go for a 29 day thru hike and beat him to the punch.

I'm confident that I can hike at the required 75 mile per day pace because last week I walked from one end of the Palisades mall to the other in less then 10 minutes. That's an average of 5.5 miles an hour.

My training regiment has been tough. I'm trying to put some weight on before the hike so I'm on a strict diet of budweiser and burgers. This should help keep the weight on as I make my weigh down south.

By the way does anybody know how to set up a tarp? I don't have much backpacking experience but I grew in the south so I know how to walk in the mountains pretty well.Don't worry about a tarp. If you hike fast enough, the rain will never hit you. JMHO. :D

Marta
01-25-2008, 11:41
I'm sorry, but you have already done too much hiking/research on this project for it to have quite the same flair as Wild Cowboy's hike. You need to set another, higher goal for yourself. Maybe something involving swimming? Swim across the Atlantic in 29 days?

RITBlake
01-25-2008, 11:44
I'm sorry, but you have already done too much hiking/research on this project for it to have quite the same flair as Wild Cowboy's hike. You need to set another, higher goal for yourself. Maybe something involving swimming? Swim across the Atlantic in 29 days?

Marta,

Funny you mention that, I had considered swimming across the English Channel without using my arms and legs but I thought that would be a better Summer time challenge.

For now I will concentrate on hiking.

warraghiyagey
01-25-2008, 11:52
Maybe you could summit Everest. . . in a thong.

Marta
01-25-2008, 11:56
In a roundabout way this brings up one of my pet peeves...this constant one-upsmanship about speed records, "purity," etc. Don't get me wrong--I greatly admire amazing athletes like Karl, who is going for a record this year, and the woman who is going for the women's record this year.

But come on, folks, if you are an ordinary person who is going to make a stab at thru-hiking for the first time, don't kid yourself, it's plenty hard enough without trying to make it harder than other people's thru-hikes.

Now I'll crawl back under my rock.

warraghiyagey
01-25-2008, 11:57
Now my goal is 28 days.:p

Hooch
01-25-2008, 11:59
But come on, folks, if you are an ordinary person who is going to make a stab at thru-hiking for the first time, don't kid yourself, it's plenty hard enough without trying to make it harder than other people's thru-hikes.

Now I'll crawl back under my rock.Agreed.

RITBlake
01-25-2008, 12:00
Now my goal is 28 days.:p

New Statement to the press:

After hearing of team warraghiyagey's attempt to thru hike in 28 days, I will be adjusting my schedule to thru hike the AT in 27 1/2 days.

All media inquiries can be directed to my PR manager UCONNMike

Freeleo
01-25-2008, 12:03
Marta,

Funny you mention that, I had considered swimming across the English Channel without using my arms and legs but I thought that would be a better Summer time challenge.

it is possible...it is called undulation...core body management
technically you could use your hands to skull while holding your arms still under the above mentioned means or transprtation..

it will take a while so wear a wet suit:p

yappy
01-25-2008, 12:05
Exactly Marta...Cowboy is probably in for a very rude awakening. I would think if he actually DOES 72 the first day he " won ". I will be amazed if he does even that.

mudhead
01-25-2008, 12:07
I wonder if this will deteriorate into a ford, or wind chill, or evils of motorized vehicle thread. People seem primed for some bombastic verbiage.

Where's Woodsy? Might as well get the dog and pony show started!

Dang but it is chilly here. Imagine bare hands in the wind, filtering, while talking on a hands free cell phone. With your dog, who carries your gun.
You'ns have fun.

envirodiver
01-25-2008, 12:09
Marta,

If you read my previous post I am currently in training to swim the English Channel in 30 min. I started my swimming lessons Tuesday night and did very well. I can dog paddle like you wouldn't believe. But, I think I would be faster doing that laid out flat overhand thing. So I'm going to try and learn it. I plan to make my swim at the end of February. I'm hoping that the cold water will make me want to swim faster.

I'll be posting my info and training regimen on www.imsofullofit.com (http://www.imsofullofit.com)

dessertrat
01-25-2008, 12:10
Maybe you could summit Everest. . . in a thong.

It's safe if you do it before 7 a.m. I heard L.Wolf say that, anyway.:)

envirodiver
01-25-2008, 12:11
I wonder if this will deteriorate into a ford, or wind chill, or evils of motorized vehicle thread. People seem primed for some bombastic verbiage.

Dang but it is chilly here. Imagine bare hands in the wind, filtering, while talking on a hands free cell phone. With your dog, who carries your gun.
You'ns have fun.

At the spring in the shelter you are staying in, with your trekking poles leaning against you.

Marta
01-25-2008, 12:12
it is possible...it is called undulation...core body management
technically you could use your hands to skull while holding your arms still under the above mentioned means or transprtation..

it will take a while so wear a wet suit:p

Wet suits are not allowed by the rules of English Channel swimming. Sorry, sissy.:D

RITBlake
01-25-2008, 12:19
Wet suits are not allowed by the rules of English Channel swimming. Sorry, sissy.:D

ya really. I forgot to mention that before hitting the water you must cross ther french country side on a jetpack

STEVEM
I will attempt to set a new world record in each of these categories:
http://www.ifoce.com/records.php

mudhead
At the spring in the shelter you are staying in, with your trekking poles leaning against you.

Because you asked someone with a tent to vacate, and wanted to read poetry to the rest of them.

Nean
01-25-2008, 12:21
I guess you guys didn't hear. My friend Ed found out that 3 Boy Scouts set the record back in 19 and 27 :eek: 21 days it took em, but then again the trail was shorter. One must consider that they went northbound as well.:-?

I mean really, shouldn't there be a northbound and southbound record? Whiteblaze vs Blueblaze? Same as supported vs unsupported.:):p:rolleyes:

envirodiver
01-25-2008, 12:21
8.31 lbs of Vienna Sausages in 10 min. now that is impressive. I couldn't do that in 2 months.

envirodiver
01-25-2008, 12:24
Because you asked someone with a tent to vacate, and wanted to read poetry to the rest of them.

While smoking a cigarette and waiting for your freezer bag meal to cook in your cozy.

mudhead
01-25-2008, 12:36
While smoking a cigarette and waiting for your freezer bag meal to cook in your cozy.

That you bummed.

While asking if anyone knew what time it was...

Well I'm tapped out. Woodsy must be stoking the stove. He has the magic touch. Gonna be vile doing cal in this weather. Damn wind. Two puffs of breeze, and it hurts. But that is cuz I dress funny...

woodsy
01-25-2008, 12:36

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/outdoorwoodenfurniture_1984_9608603 (http://www.cedarwoodfurniture.com/xlargedoghouse.html)

envirodiver
01-25-2008, 12:39
That you bummed.

While asking if anyone knew what time it was...

Well I'm tapped out. Woodsy must be stoking the stove. He has the magic touch. Gonna be vile doing cal in this weather. Damn wind. Two puffs of breeze, and it hurts. But that is cuz I dress funny...

And asking if you could borrow their map or better yet have them tell you where you actually are.

warraghiyagey
01-25-2008, 12:50
It's safe if you do it before 7 a.m. I heard L.Wolf say that, anyway.:)
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/laughing020.gif

warraghiyagey
01-25-2008, 12:55
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/outdoorwoodenfurniture_1984_9608603 (http://www.cedarwoodfurniture.com/xlargedoghouse.html)
That building looks alot more like Peirce Pond Lean-to than the pooch looks like you. I don't remember you being that pretty.http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/laughing013.gif

swellbill
01-25-2008, 12:56

Drink Yuengling. Alot better than Bud and it'll make you add pounds too

warraghiyagey
01-25-2008, 12:58

After hearing of team warraghiyagey's attempt to thru hike in 28 days, I will be adjusting my schedule to thru hike the AT in 27 1/2 days.

Sweet. Now that team Warraghiyagey is off the hook, I just want to say RITB that there once was a fellow that tried to hike the AT in 30 days, and well. . . we all know what happened to him.http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/confused009.gif

But you go!!!!

mudhead
01-25-2008, 13:00

I am glad that for a grand, you get a free nameplate! I didn't think they would give away a rig like that, but yikes!

You know you want to start a thread...

UCONNMike
01-25-2008, 14:41
Press Release: January 25, 2008 - 1:24pm EST

Nyack, NY - Today is a great day in American exploration, in the same spirit that lead the Americans to conquer the moon before the Russians, Blake has adjusted his record breaking schedule to further separate himself from his long distance adversary Wild Cowboy. As he mentioned, the training will become more intense, the walk thru the mall will be moved up to completing one full length of the palisades mall, and then walking up and down every isle of the home depot that is adjoined to the mall. He will also add fresh buttery pretzels to his training diet, in order to compensate. His AT pace of 80 miles each day (and then on the final day he will hike the final 15 miles) in order to complete the trail in a blazing 27 1/2 days.

"Blake is a great athlete, he's regimented, dedicated...he is the model for which every other athlete is measured. Wild Cowboy doesnt stand a chance." - Sgt. Rock, shared these words with the media when he heard rumors about Blakes record attempt.

"Blake will beat Wild Cowboy in this time trail record, no if and or buts...and don't any of you question it." Lone Wolf in a rare meeting with reporters sharing his views on the story.

"This is the ultimate goal, it's like trying to do the C2C route and the Great Western Loop blindfolded and with one leg, it's that hard...I would never attempt something this huge. When he finishes he will have reached the pinnacle of the long distance hiking world" - Andrew Skurka, speaking to the press outside of the Golite headquarters in boulder Colorado.

We are confident that Blake will fulfill his dream of holding the World record for fastest thru hike of the appalachian trail. We hope that everybodys logs on to www.Maine2Georgia.com/recordattempt (http://www.Maine2Georgia.com/recordattempt) to view exclusive content on Blakes trip. Membership to access his excusive online blog is only $56.95 a month leading up ot the hike, and once he starts you can gain access to special "on the trail web chats" conducted via cell phone for an additional $28.95 per week.

Any questions about his Hike can be sent to UCONNMike care of Record Attempt at [email protected]

Thank You

bigboots
01-25-2008, 22:00
I will attempt to set a new world record in each of these categories:
http://www.ifoce.com/records.php

MMmmm...
I think I just found my new trail menu...
I particularly like the 7 quarter pound sticks of butter in 5 min. (at least it will go down smooth) great for a quick on the go pick me up!

Bigboots

Mad Hatter 08
01-25-2008, 22:26
MMmmm...
I particularly like the 7 quarter pound sticks of butter in 5 min. (at least it will go down smooth) great for a quick on the go pick me up!

Bigboots

yeah but it comes with a side of clogged arteries and a nice fat heart attack.

CrumbSnatcher
01-25-2008, 23:49
29 days, why so long? are you doing a yo-yo.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-26-2008, 00:00
Maybe you could summit Everest. . . in a thong.This is a photoshop waiting to be sold to the Enquirer.
::: Dino seen in gallery looking for a pic of RITBlake :::

double d
01-26-2008, 01:17
Speed Record? Whats the point? Why not just fly over the whole AT from Ga. to Ma.at 35,000 feet? You'll see about the same from a 747's window as you would trying to set some kind of "speed" record on the AT. The AT was intended as an alternative from our industrialized, fast paced, mass consumer and overcrowed urban society. The AT was not created so some hyper guy can brag about some stupid speed record. You should read Walking With Spring, that will show anyone how to respect and love the AT. Ok, now I sound like some old, bitter guy, but really, try and love the AT, and not race from one whiteblaze to another, because we all get put in a box someday, so why not enjoy the journey?

River Runner
01-26-2008, 01:30
MMmmm...

Bigboots

Also great for speed attempts as it greases everything as it goes through the digestive tract. Really cuts the privy time down, which we all know is essential for this type of endeavor. :banana

:eek:

Ramble~On
01-26-2008, 02:00
Speed Record? Whats the point? Why not just fly over the whole AT from Ga. to Ma.at 35,000 feet? You'll see about the same from a 747's window as you would trying to set some kind of "speed" record on the AT. The AT was intended as an alternative from our industrialized, fast paced, mass consumer and overcrowed urban society. The AT was not created so some hyper guy can brag about some stupid speed record. You should read Walking With Spring, that will show anyone how to respect and love the AT. Ok, now I sound like some old, bitter guy, but really, try and love the AT, and not race from one whiteblaze to another, because we all get put in a box someday, so why not enjoy the journey?

C'MON....This is a serious thread...why all the negativity.
HYOH or Run your own Run...either way it is a running path for those who seek fast paced fellowship with the wilderness. Plus....geez! it isn't like everybody can afford a regular thru or take that much time off from their regular slow paced lives. With the current Ultralight trend the new standard
for a thru hike is now 2 1/2 months....Plus I recently heard that the AMC doesn't want anybody (who isn't a donating member) to remain within the Whites for more than 2 hours...."to reduce impact".:D

Wanderingson
01-26-2008, 02:03

If you are serious about this attempt to swim across the English Channel without using your arms and legs, we will just call you "BOB".

Miss Janet
01-26-2008, 03:08

That will not give you enough time for touch football on the police parking lot!!

Just think of all the things you would miss!

mudhead
01-26-2008, 07:54
C'MON.....Plus I recently heard that the AMC doesn't want anybody (who isn't a donating member) to remain within the Whites for more than 2 hours...."to reduce impact".:D

Or enter NH.

Now Woodsy, you know you want to address the fact that you know where a $1000 doghouse can be had. Come out and play. It won't blow up on you.

Much.

Brisk this morning. Good thing it is calm. Two puffs of breeze would hurt.

STEVEM
01-26-2008, 08:36
After making a statement like this, how can anyone take RITBlake seriously.

RITBlake:

"wow this is a first, agree 100% w/ MS."

RITBlake
01-26-2008, 12:37
That will not give you enough time for touch football on the police parking lot!!

Just think of all the things you would miss!

Your probably right Miss Janet, that was a great night and a lot of fun. :)
http://www.maine2georgia.com/TENNNC/slides/PA200422.JPG

However, my focus now is on breaking the 28 day mark! I'll wave to you as I run through Erwin

warraghiyagey
01-26-2008, 13:11
Honestly RITB, what were you thinking.:rolleyes:
But I've got some PMs with aforementioned 30 day hiker that kind of take the 'sentiment' of the hiking for mom concept and throw it right out the window. He's just a dude crying out for attention and using 'mom' as a ruse to tug at our heart strings and get him to be noticed.
It's sas but in a different way than we're being led to think.:(

RITBlake
01-26-2008, 13:13
He's just a dude crying out for attention and using 'mom' as a ruse to tug at our heart strings and get him to be noticed.
It's sas but in a different way than we're being led to think.:(

That's what I figured from the start.

Tinker
01-26-2008, 13:16
Are there rules regarding this ambitious attempt?
I would think that Gore-tex rocket powered running shoes should be illegal :p.

TOW
01-26-2008, 19:46
That's it, I am going to hike the entire width of the trail in less than five seconds. And I'm going to do it right after I post this!

TOW
01-26-2008, 19:49
I just did it! Without any support whatsoever except for my dog Sally greeting me when I returned! In fact I went across the trail and back in 4.89 seconds!

What about that, who can beat me?

RITBlake
01-26-2008, 19:52
I just did it! Without any support whatsoever except for my dog Sally greeting me when I returned! In fact I went across the trail and back in 4.89 seconds!

did you pass all the blazes?

Paul Bunyan
01-28-2008, 22:51
That's it, I am going to hike the entire width of the trail in less than five seconds. And I'm going to do it right after I post this!

Haha, just caught the jist. Lol, o man i wish i lived nearer the trail, i could beat 5 seconds.;)

minnesotasmith
01-29-2008, 03:04
After making a statement like this, how can anyone take RITBlake seriously.

RITBlake:

"wow this is a first, agree 100% w/ MS."

Which thread had that post?

ed bell
01-29-2008, 03:13
Which thread had that post?The other one. You can't be that lazy.:D

TOW
01-29-2008, 07:16
did you pass all the blazes?
Yes I did! And I even created a few new blazes as well........................:banana

2XL
01-29-2008, 08:09

:-?Ok, Try it again, but this time stop in the middle of the trail, turn left or right and continue. Check in when you get to the end.
That should keep him busy for a few more minutes

JAK
01-29-2008, 08:18
If the record keeps falling at this rate resupplies won't even be neccessary.

JAK
01-29-2008, 08:20
Which is the more difficult fantasy. NOBO in 30 days or SOBO in 30 days?

Has anyone claimed the SOBO fantasy hike yet?

maxNcathy
01-29-2008, 08:42
Remember to bring your meds.

JAK
01-29-2008, 08:51
... or maybe forage for them along the way. :D

RITBlake
01-29-2008, 09:09
Which thread had that post?

Something you said about Wild Cowboy I believe.

RadioFreq
01-29-2008, 12:53
Marta,

Anyone can swim the channel (with or without arms/legs).
Why don't you try jumping it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qvk2wNWmB20

4eyedbuzzard
01-29-2008, 13:49

After hearing of team warraghiyagey's attempt to thru hike in 28 days, I will be adjusting my schedule to thru hike the AT in 27 1/2 days...

I can name that tune in---oops, wrong game show

It's time to play WB's brand new exciting game show: Hike that trail.

I can hike that trail in 30 days

I can hike it in 29

[sigh]

Old Wolf
01-29-2008, 16:22
Just wanted to say Good luck on that and God's speed

fonsie
01-29-2008, 17:59
Why the H*ll would anyone try for a record of 30 or less days. That is not hiking trying to do 75 miles a day. Thats running the AT, and just watch out for people trying to stick out a leg or tieing up fish line. Just so they can watch you fall. I kno that would be *****ed up but im telling you all why the hell are you trying to do this thing in 30 or less days. start training with a 25lb pack on your back and run 75 miles in a day. I herd about this thing and I realy thought it was stupid but I cant wait till I see some fool run bye me on the trail.

Phreak
01-29-2008, 20:23
Why the H*ll would anyone try for a record of 30 or less days. That is not hiking trying to do 75 miles a day. Thats running the AT, and just watch out for people trying to stick out a leg or tieing up fish line. Just so they can watch you fall. I kno that would be *****ed up but im telling you all why the hell are you trying to do this thing in 30 or less days. start training with a 25lb pack on your back and run 75 miles in a day. I herd about this thing and I realy thought it was stupid but I cant wait till I see some fool run bye me on the trail.

Why do you care if someone wants to try to finish the trail in 30 days? If it's not for you, so be it. But why all the whining?

warraghiyagey
01-29-2008, 21:08
Did you happen to notice this is the humor forum??? I'm guessing not. Take a pill and relax Francis.

RITBlake
01-30-2008, 14:22
oh the thread got moved to the humor forum, I hope wildcowboys is moved there too because it's a pretty big joke