PDA

View Full Version : Thrift Store

partinj
01-25-2008, 13:39
Well just come the local thrift store found a Gregory Mirage hydration pack brand new total cost $1.00 also found a really warm llbean lambwool sweater total cost $1.00 total cost for both $2.00. This is not first time i found good deals at this store
also found a new REI goose down jacket for $3.00 and a llbean primaloft jacket for $2.00 new total cost i save on this stuff around $425.00 not to bad. Have any of you found any good deals at your local thrift store :sun

peakbagger
01-25-2008, 13:43
The goodwill store in Portland Maine used to get returned articles from the LL Bean employee store. I have a friend who has picked up a couple of tents that way (usually missing a pole)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-25-2008, 13:56
Too many good deals to even begin to list them all - lots of Salomon clothing, wool sweaters, base layers.... a ripped / burnt fairly new down jacket with 750 fill that ended up as fill for two down sweaters... more tents than I can remember (used mostly for parts on my homemade projects).... trail runners for practice hikes.... wool leggings !!!.... beanies...fleece tops and bottoms... used one part of an old aluminum canister set for years as my only pot... got more car camping equipment than I can remember.... a Go-Lite wind shirt with a stain (like I care when I'm hiking).... nylon wind pants with DWR finish

fivel
01-25-2008, 14:00
When I bought my first pack, I got it for $0.01. It was the strangest thing. It was a Kelty Redcloud(?) from EMS. They had brought out last year's model by accident - and this was the pack I decided I went to buy - and I went to go pay for it and they said, "well actually, this pack is coming up as $0.01! There must be a mistake" and they went and checked in the back....and they came out and said "our mistake, we were not supposed to show this pack. but since we did and you want it, we will sell it to you for the price shown: $0.01"
my Dad bought my first pack for me and gave the cashier a 9900% tip, 99 cents! It was AWESOME!!! I still almost cannot believe this happened and fear that one day someone will tell me it was a dream!!!

BR360
01-25-2008, 14:01
I've also gotten many great deals. I always stop in stores when I'm on trips...you never know. The thrill of the hunt.

Best buys so far: two NorthFace synthetic bags, no name 600-fill down bag, Patagonia rain shell.

Also a Lava lamp, fondue set, and some killer platform shoes! :D

LIhikers
01-25-2008, 22:21
I've gotten several packs from my local thift store.

Wilson
01-25-2008, 22:38
Lots of nice wool items....they'll usually have a moth hole, but who cares.

Recently a Perfect Orvis lambswool sweater, new with $66 price tag still on...cost me $3. Some nice Gap merino wool shirts.

berninbush
01-26-2008, 00:33
Ha ha, since i work for Goodwill Houston, I have to put in a plug. :) When you shop at Goodwill, you can get good bargains but the money you do spend goes to a great cause, too. The stores hire people with disabilities and barriers to employment, and give them a chance to work and learn job skills. Plus, profits from the stores are used to fund a lot of other great programs, like career centers that help people find jobs. So it's kind of a triple benefit.

Of course, profits from other thrift stores can also support good causes, depending on who's running it. ;)

It's always fun when you find a really great bargain. One man's trash is another's treasure, I suppose.

gungho
01-26-2008, 00:44
We have always found good deals at local goodwills as well,especially living around the area we do. It is rare but when you make that discovery it is sweet:)

River Runner
01-26-2008, 02:08
Everytime I stop at a Goodwill in our area, I find a bunch of out of style rejects from Wally World or Kmart. On a good day, they MIGHT have something from Penney's or Sears.

I've never found good camping gear or outdoor clothing. :mad:

fiddlehead
01-26-2008, 05:51
I've found that some thrift stores are great (prices, quality and variety) and others suck.

I think it really depends on WHERE it is. If it is a poor neighborhood of a fair size city, it won't be so good. Get's shopped out and doesn't get much quality to begin with.

But, if it is in a rich, small town where people aren't really down and out, then you find the real bargains (and on quality stuff too)

I recently was in the best one i've ever seen with tons of stuff, i got a patagonia shirt for $2 (that was later reduced to one at the counter) the place was almost the size of a wal mart and had one other shopper in there at the time. (near Ephrata, pa)

On the other hand, i was in one in jersey city, nj that was full of shoppers that had about 2% of the stuff in that one near Ephrata.

i usually go for clothes and when i need a new cookit or something. don't really need any hiking gear so don't look anymore. My garage is full and i think i have 8 different kinds of backpacking stoves already.

Wanderingson
01-26-2008, 07:13
...i think i have 8 different kinds of backpacking stoves already.

Doesn't everyone have about 8 stoves?:sun

Terry7
01-26-2008, 09:59
Thats one of the things I miss about living in South Florida. Thrift Stores eveywhere. But I am still glad that I moved out of there.

atraildreamer
01-26-2008, 13:54
I live in Providence near Brown University & the RI School of Design. When the kids are ready to go home, they dump all kinds of good stuff. I got 2 packs, free, from the curb. I also got a nice office chair that I use when I am surfing the WB site! :)

Landshark
01-26-2008, 18:29
TJ Max, while not a thrift store, has some good bargains for hiking clothes. Duofold shirts for 5 bucks, ems zip-offs for 15 bucks and that sort of thing.

River Runner
01-27-2008, 03:11
I've found some good things at TJ Maxx too. And they have nice children's outdoor clothing too.

Bob S
01-27-2008, 03:17

i usually go for clothes and when i need a new cookit or something. don't really need any hiking gear so don't look anymore. My garage is full and i think i have 8 different kinds of backpacking stoves already.

Only 8 stoves, I passed that a few years ago. I don’t use them all, but if I find an interesting or one at a good price I will pick it up. Why? I don’t know……..

Wanderingson
01-27-2008, 03:33
Why? I don’t know……..

Because it is such a good deal.

My ex-wife was known as the "Coupon Queen". One day she came home with two cases of cat foot. She got them at half price. The funny thing is--WE DIDN'T have a freaking cat.

Wanderingson
01-27-2008, 03:33

My ex-wife was known as the "Coupon Queen". One day she came home with two cases of cat foot. She got them at half price. The funny thing is--WE DIDN'T have a freaking cat.

Whoops--I meant cat food.

oops56
01-27-2008, 05:13
Doesn't everyone have about 8 stoves?:sun
Yep me a shop full about 100 lost count all off e bay:eek:

gollwoods
01-27-2008, 10:51
gore tex pants by boatmen $3.50 I don't use rain pants but I could not pass them by never heard of boatmen either

dpage
01-28-2008, 18:58
My gf and i go every wed...thats family day and all merch is 50% off. Lots of camp cook stuff,2 LL Bean frame packs $3 ,Coleman lanterns and flashlights, we found 3 new mt.pie makers for $2 each and ton's and ton's of great army surplus, canteens/ gor tex pants.... If you have one in your town check it out, it like a mini treasure hunt

doggiebag
01-28-2008, 19:03

Do you recall her serving you any form of pate in immediate period following her shopping binge?

atraildreamer
01-30-2008, 17:12
Every month I go to Walmart to stock up on household items. I always go to the outdoor section and check out what is available. They often deeply discount items that are not in season to clear them out and make room for the new seasonal stuff.

Bob S
01-30-2008, 19:33
Every month I go to Walmart to stock up on household items. I always go to the outdoor section and check out what is available. They often deeply discount items that are not in season to clear them out and make room for the new seasonal stuff.

I do the same thing, last year they discounted Permethrin from $5.00 a can down to $1.50 a can, I bought 11 cans (all they had.)

atraildreamer
02-02-2008, 13:20
Quote:
Originally Posted by atraildreamer http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/styles/wb_style/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=517725#post517725)

I do the same thing, last year they discounted Permethrin from $5.00 a can down to $1.50 a can, I bought 11 cans (all they had.)

WOW!...2 positive posts about Wally World :eek:...and no one has cussed us out...yet! :D

aaroniguana
02-02-2008, 13:30
I got all my DIY fabrics at Wallyworld. When you can get smoke grey silnylon and green/orange/grey or white non-treated ripstop for $1/yard, why cuss?

atraildreamer
02-02-2008, 15:26
I got all my DIY fabrics at Wallyworld. When you can get smoke grey silnylon and green/orange/grey or white non-treated ripstop for $1/yard, why cuss?

I think that there are a lot of people who knock Wal-Mart due to their aggressive approach to getting the stuff they sell manufactured at rock-bottom prices. I know that this had led to abuses, which I don't condone. :mad:

Others have the $$$ to live a Nordstrom', Whole Foods, Lexus lifestyle...more power to them! :D

MANY others...(like me)...have a budget that only allows a WallyWorld, PriceRite, 2nd hand Chevy lifestyle. I have to look out for the bargains. :o

(PS-Don't overlook the yard sales and flea markets! :banana)

rafe
02-02-2008, 15:34
Others have the $$$ to live a Nordstrom', Whole Foods, Lexus lifestyle...more power to them! :D

I call it Whole Paycheck. ;)

fiddlehead
02-02-2008, 15:46
Only 8 stoves, I passed that a few years ago. I don’t use them all, but if I find an interesting or one at a good price I will pick it up. Why? I don’t know……..

Why? i guess it's hard to get rid of memories.

I still have my optimus from my 1st hike in '77 (one of the best at the time)

Then there's the old Hank Roberts stove. anyone remember them? (the first butane or propane stove that came out i believe.)

Then i have 2 of the GAZ stoves, the ones where you puncture the propane canister (used those for years and even still have about 6 cans of fuel) (they were great in Europe as the fuel was available everywhere)

I have 2 old Zip stoves that one is burned completely through the sides, (don't know why i don't throw that one away) but the other one is still ok, and i'm sure i'll use it again.

Have an old Coleman Peak 1 that i never did take backpacking. I liked the idea of the white gas and it would even burn regular unleaded fuel they say, but it's just too heavy

I have some of those Esbit tablets around with a little metal box to burn them in. Tried that a few times but it took a long time. (sort of like Sterno, i think i have one of those somewhere too although i don't remember using it for backpackin)

Then of course there's the accumulation of homeade alcohol stoves that i sometimes use for up to a 3 day trip. (i've found that for more than 3 days, the pocket rocket with fuel is lighter and definitely easier)

And my trustworthy pocket rocket that gets used most all the time that i take a stove.

I must say, most of them were favorites at one time.

Now, lets see, how many tents do i have in there?

Bob S
02-02-2008, 15:53
I don’t buy Wal-Mart clothes, I have found them to be junk.

But an item that is sold everyplace is the same at Wal-Mart as it is Kroger or the local camping store.

A Coleman stove is the same both places other then the price. A bag of Lay’s potato chips are the same other then price.

I like to buy things that are made well (but you could then ask why I buy Coleman stuff? :rolleyes:) And generally do, but why not buy it for the lowest price.

Nest
02-02-2008, 16:13
Craigslist is another great place to look. People are always selling packs, stoves, tents, kayaks, and all kinds of goodies.

Purple
02-03-2008, 03:12
Goodwill ..... last week ... Patagonia Rubicon Ski/Rain pants ... new ... $4 ... retails for $260.00
In the last yr ...... North Face Down Jacket $3.50 - Patagonia Jackets 1 Synchilla(blue) & 1 Fleece (purple) $1.50 ea - 1 OR & 1 Gortex Rain hat $.50 ea - 3 pr Gortex insulated gloves $1.99 ea - Crocs(the real ones in pink swirls) $4.99 - Alpine-Tek Polartec fleece pants/shirt $6 set - LLBean Polartec Windbloc Series Coat 2.50 - Underarmour 2 LS Base 2 shirts 2.50 ea - 2 wool balaclavas $1 ea - 4 Coolmax Sport Bras $1 ea - 3 prs Convertible hiking pants $4 ea - 15 pr wool Euro boot socks in my size 3 for$1.25 - 3 Columbia fleece LS shirts $1.50 ea - boots like new ..... Columbia Sawtooth & NW Territory buy 1 get 1 free $1.50, Hi-Tec Lady Mauna Kea (purple) $4.99, LLBean Gortex $9.99, and my favorite are the Salomon Thinsulate Chem-dry winter boots $6.99, 2 pr New Balance All Terrains (803 & 806) and 1 pr NB 410 SLTrail Runners. $4.99 ea - 3 external frame packs s/m/l $5 ea - 1 internal frame L (purple) pack $3 all under 3.5lb- 3 2person tents(car camping) & 2 solo Texport tents $3 ea (still looking for that perfect purple UL solo tent)- and way too much more, summer/winter clothes, rain gear, kitchen, etc. to list here.

The most expensive gear I have was given to me for Christmas by my son .... BA Lost Ranger Down Sleeping Bag w/AirCore 3.5" Mat & a ground pad like Stumpknocker is using, from REI discounted to $184 for all. I have 3 pepsi stoves - 2 V8 and 2 converted Sterno for simmering. A 1 lb Coffee can wood stove, I'm like the guys on this, I love making stoves. BTW if you make the stoves in the summer you will need to retest them in the winter and adjust the vent sizes. I started with 15. 7 actually work yr round.

I go to 5 local Thrifts stores and 2 church outlets 3 times a wk. You got to be there 1st thing on Mondays (new stuff just in) Wednesdays (half price day) and Thursaday (Senior Discount) and each week a different color code is used for .99 stuff at the Salvation Army. You have to beat the Dealers to get the good stuff. My car gets 30mpg and the fartherest store is 12 mi. I LOVE IT! :jump

I think the reason for all my luck in finding the expensive winter gear is the fact that I am in a Military town and the soldiers here, now, came in from Alaska.

Anyone have any requests??

I case ya'll haven't noticed I'm long winded :D

atraildreamer
02-09-2008, 16:25

Swung by the fishing section last Sunday and got an $11 fillet knife for $2!:banana
Has a nice sheath, and is extremely sharp! (Ouch...should have got some Badaids, too!:eek:)

Mongoose2
02-09-2008, 16:47
Hey Bob S.

I've bought a number of Colemen items in the last two years and find them to be very high quality, and at a great price!! I too have found great deals at Goodwill; hiking clothes, titanium cup and ccokware, etc. Great shopping!

LIhikers
02-09-2008, 21:24
Earlier this week I came home from a local thift store with 3 sweaters that are 100% wool for a total of $17 dollars :)

Bob S
02-10-2008, 01:16
Hey Bob S.

I've bought a number of Colemen items in the last two years and find them to be very high quality, and at a great price!! I too have found great deals at Goodwill; hiking clothes, titanium cup and ccokware, etc. Great shopping!

I have a Coleman 2-bay collapsible sink, it made of a clear plastic, and it does indeed collapse any & every time I put hot water in it. I have also gotten real tired of putting generators in Coleman stoves and lanterns every 2-years or less. Some things they make are OK, but I have found a lot of the things they make lacking. I have a Coleman 5-day cooler that keeps ice for only 2-days. My parent’s 5-day cooler made by Igloo does in fact work by keeping ice in it for 5-days. Why can’t Coleman make their cooler work this well?

One thing they make I’m impressed with is their camp shower, it’s a 4-d battery driven water pump with a shower head on the end of a hose. It works well; I have had it for 5-years and it works as good as when new. I go to a festival that last 5-days (6-days as we go 1 day early) and the camp shower provided 3 showers a day for 5-days on one set of batteries.

I love stopping by the Goodwill and Salvation Army stores, but I don’t seem to find a lot of camping items in them. But they have enough other items to keep me coming back.

I find a lot of camping stuff at garage sales, more then I really need You should see the camping stuff I have in the basement on shelves, it looks like a Boy Scout troop lives at my house…

kayak karl
02-10-2008, 06:29
there's a thrift shop in del on rt 13 opposite the blue rock statium on the chritina river. ive got 3 pairs of zip-off pants, silk shirts and sweats for like $1-2 each. i also got aluminum cookie sheets for 25 cents each. good for making pot stands an wood stoves.:-?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-10-2008, 10:17
Older Coleman stuff was good quality - the last five years or so the quality has declined dramatically. I wouldn't buy a new Coleman item anymore.

Mongoose2
02-10-2008, 11:17
Good Morning Dino

How funny, I thought just the opposite. In the past three years i've bought a Coleman F1 ultralight cannister stove, hiking poles, and even a backpack. I have many miles and nights on all and they are performing very well! On the other hand, the older stuff I found to be heavy and in need of frequent maintenance (generators, seams, etc). Luck of the draw perhaps?? I have been very disappointed by the lack of lightweight gear (bags and tents), and wonder how long the company can last without addressing this. Perhaps I'm a bit nostalgic from my Boy Scout days?

Ron Haven
02-10-2008, 11:29
There is a backpacking thrift store in Franklin called Kramers Out Post.The section of town is Heritage Hollow very close to Budget Inn.If you are coming in to Franklin ask me for directions and I'll help you to find it.Many hikers find great deals there.

River Runner
02-10-2008, 19:55
Good Morning Dino

How funny, I thought just the opposite. In the past three years i've bought a Coleman F1 ultralight cannister stove, hiking poles, and even a backpack. I have many miles and nights on all and they are performing very well! On the other hand, the older stuff I found to be heavy and in need of frequent maintenance (generators, seams, etc). Luck of the draw perhaps?? I have been very disappointed by the lack of lightweight gear (bags and tents), and wonder how long the company can last without addressing this. Perhaps I'm a bit nostalgic from my Boy Scout days?

Coleman survives more on selling car camping style gear than backpacking gear. There are few backpackers compared to the number of car campers (and hunters). Around here they probably sell more to the hunters than the campers.

gaga
02-11-2008, 11:15
got this- http://www.backcountry.com/store/LAF0050/Lafuma-CB-Camping-Chair.html -for 2 bucks ,older lighter model ;)

atraildreamer
03-03-2008, 18:55
I just "rescued" :rolleyes: an external frame backpack and an Army mummy sleeping bag from the trash man! The bag is labeled "1949" (date of manufacture?) and is feather (down?) filled. It is no lightweight (don't have the exact weight, yet) has a heavy duty aluminum full-length zipper which is designed to be quickly pulled apart (if anyone starts shooting at you, I suppose :eek:) and has a canvas strip with grommet holes running parrallel to the zipper (I'm speculating that this is to lace it up as a body bag in case you don't get up fast enough! :().

Anyone out there with any more info on this bag? :confused:

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-03-2008, 19:40
I just "rescued" :rolleyes: an external frame backpack and an Army mummy sleeping bag from the trash man! The bag is labeled "1949" (date of manufacture?) and is feather (down?) filled. It is no lightweight (don't have the exact weight, yet) has a heavy duty aluminum full-length zipper which is designed to be quickly pulled apart (if anyone starts shooting at you, I suppose :eek:) and has a canvas strip with grommet holes running parrallel to the zipper (I'm speculating that this is to lace it up as a body bag in case you don't get up fast enough! :().

Anyone out there with any more info on this bag? :confused:I answered you at Rock"s site (http://hikinghq.net/forum/showthread.php?p=23374&posted=1#post23374)

aaroniguana
03-03-2008, 19:57
My first day back at work and I sat on my butt all day. So on the way home I stopped at the Value Village in Brooklyn (South Baltimore) and got a nice Patagonia rain/wind shell in a lovely pale, tangerine color for $4. Yeah I'm gonna wear that. Giving to my daughter.

LIhikers
03-03-2008, 21:33
My first day back at work and I sat on my butt all day. So on the way home I stopped at the Value Village in Brooklyn (South Baltimore) and got a nice Patagonia rain/wind shell in a lovely pale, tangerine color for $4. Yeah I'm gonna wear that. Giving to my daughter.

Isn't Brooklyn still in New York ? :D

Frau
03-03-2008, 22:06
Best buy at GW--new Wilson black leather jacket, $20. Close seconds--2 Aerofresh Polyester spandex tops; LL Bean down barn jacket; Eddie Bauer heavy green plaid wool shirt; Jones of NY denim barn jacket. I have never seen camping gear at the ones I frequent, but then most of my shopping has been to replace my wardrobe after my weight loss. Guess I need to start checking different sections of the stores.

Frau

kayak karl
03-03-2008, 22:24
Well just come the local thrift store found a Gregory Mirage hydration pack brand new total cost $1.00 also found a really warm llbean lambwool sweater total cost $1.00 total cost for both $2.00. This is not first time i found good deals at this store
also found a new REI goose down jacket for $3.00 and a llbean primaloft jacket for $2.00 new total cost i save on this stuff around $425.00 not to bad. Have any of you found any good deals at your local thrift store :sun

check out the salvation army about 1 mile south of wilmington on rt 13. i got alot of good deals there. probably not far from u.

Erin
03-03-2008, 23:09
My friend in south Memphis kept showing and telling her thrift finds. I went to visit her and had to fly home with an extra suit case. I am hard to fit and found stuff for work and casual. Brand new Talbot's lined rain coat for five dollars, , nice pants, sweaters, blouses, etc. I believe some five foot tall Talbot's shopper lady died and all her new stuff got taken there. I thought I hit thrift store heaven. I am a digger, but these places were clean and sorted by color. But no camping type gear. Sounds as if I would love the hunt out east!

Pennsylvania Rose
03-04-2008, 10:35
The Goodwill and yard sales here never have any good hiking stuff. I think our town is too small and poor - I'll have to check out some Goodwills farther from home. I have found stuff (long underwear, hiking pants, shirts, and socks, rain gear, gore-tex gloves) at a huge discount at Gabriel Brothers stores, though.

Doctari
03-04-2008, 10:46
Last week at Goodwill, a Old Navy fleece vest for $1.89, including tax.
My hiking partner got 2 hiking* shirts for less than $4.00 total the week before.

*actually dress shirts, but very light & Poly cotton mix.

I havn't found any camping gear yet, but Hope springs eternal.