PDA

View Full Version : Pocketmail - Sharp TM-20

Peak-a-Boo
12-31-2003, 15:59
I just purchased a Sharp TM-20 pocketmail device. It has been previously used. Of course, I have bad luck, and this is no exception...

When I turned it on, the device was locked - password protected. The previous owner had not cleared out the device before sending it to me. So I followed the directions to reset the device.

After doing that, it is supposed to have a menu option to sign up with Pocketmail (in effect wiping out all previous account info). It does not. All of the previous owners account info is still in the system.

I spoke with another person who bought a used Sharp TM-20 - she said hitting reset on her device cleared everything out and she had no problems at all. Has anyone else bought this device used, and if so, how did you clear out the memory? Did you get an option to sign up with Pocketmail, or did the previous account info seem to stay 'stuck' in the device? How did you deal with it? I am trying to find out if this device is defective or if I can somehow work around this issue.

I have read the manual and no where in it does it address this particular problem - stupid manuals... also, I tried calling Pocketmail and they are closed for the holidays... I am impatient :)

Thanks for any advice/help.

MadAussieInLondon
12-31-2003, 19:55
i have a tm20 as well.. my manual says

hold the power button whilst pushing the reset button underneath at the same time will ask you about resetting the data in the device back to nothing...

Peak-a-Boo
01-01-2004, 00:37
Stu,

As I mentioned in my post, I have done that... about 300 times actually :)

Resetting it DOES NOT wipe out the old account info. Did you buy yours used? Did it get rid of the previous account info when you hit power and reset? That's what I am really trying to find out. There is no way, that I know of (or that is in the manual), for me to get rid of this info, beyond what I have done already (power-reset). I am just trying to see if this is normal (ie, old account/email info stays locked in - it did wipe out the old account password and such) or if I need to send this stupid thing back. What a pain this is...

brian
01-01-2004, 01:06
Not sure if this will work, but try taking out the batteries, and then hitting power\reset simultaniously. That sometimes works for some electronics.

Brian
Future Thru Hiker 2103

Peak-a-Boo
01-01-2004, 23:09
Brian,

Thanks for the suggestion... just tried it with no luck. Do you think throwing it off the balcony will help? Could it hurt to try? :)

Hopefully Pocketmail will have some advice tomorrow...

brian
01-01-2004, 23:18
Is there a backup battery in it somewhere? If you're up to it, open her up and look for anything that may store the information if the batteries die....

Brian

Peak-a-Boo
01-02-2004, 20:09
Brian, you are really helpful. Thanks!

It does have an internal battery, and I did go looking for it the other night. But I was sleepy and the Pocketmail 'guts' were a little scary to me. So I put it back together without ever finding that battery.

Can you give me any pointers on what it might look like? I was looking for something like a watch battery, but didnt see anything of that size/shape in there. Any ideas? Thanks again!

brian
01-02-2004, 21:25
Yes, it will definatly be smaller than 1" in diameter. I will also probably be silver in color (99% sure). Chances are that it will be a lithium "coin cell" battery, identical to the batteries used in the pulsar LED lights. Off the top of my head, they are around .8" in diameter.

Ive disected enough calculators, watches, old computer cards, and various other electronics to tell you these two things: 1) keep a spot for screws seperatly. Make sure you dont lose them! 2) Always remember the order in which things go in. If you think you cant remember, write it down. Im not sure how complex it is, but you may need to take some time and make sure you get things right.

Brian

brian
01-02-2004, 21:28
Also went to sharp's website and found this:

http://www.sharpusa.com/files/org_qguide_TM20.pdf

But you've already done what they said to do for wiping the memory....if you cannot find the backup battery, then give sharp a call (not an email, becuase ive heard that their email support sucks)

Brian
Future Thru Hiker 2013