PDA

View Full Version : Gettin to Springer Mountain Parking From Florida

whywoogy
01-25-2008, 14:48
Hi all, I am in need of getting to SPringer Mountain parking from South Florida. I am not going to park at the State park and do the approach trail. I would like to park my car at Springer Mountain parking lot. Anyone have directions or a GPS location they know of? Thank you for any help!

gearfreak
01-25-2008, 15:40
Give this (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=388678) a try. :cool:

max patch
01-25-2008, 16:02
Give this (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=388678) a try. :cool:

No no no. You don't want to go that way coming from Florida. Best way is to come up I-75 and then take I-575 54 miles north to Elijay.

I'll dig up my directions from that intersection and post later.

whywoogy
01-25-2008, 16:41
No no no. You don't want to go that way coming from Florida. Best way is to come up I-75 and then take I-575 54 miles north to Elijay.

thank you so much! i am looking for the most direct route...i would appreciate it greatly if you could post what you have....thank you

Amphibious D
01-25-2008, 18:11

Once you get to Elijay, head east on Hwy 52; same highway that takes you toward Amicalola. When you get near the Cartecay area, look for the Cartecay Church on your left and Roy Rd. Turn left on Roy Rd. Take a right at the second STOP sign. Keep going until you see a little white church on your left called Mt. Pleasant Church. The gravel road across from the church is the forest service road 42. Take that gravel road all the way up till you see the small Springer Mountain parking lot on the left.

whywoogy
01-25-2008, 19:22
Once you get to Elijay, head east on Hwy 52; same highway that takes you toward Amicalola. When you get near the Cartecay area, look for the Cartecay Church on your left and Roy Rd. Turn left on Roy Rd. Take a right at the second STOP sign. Keep going until you see a little white church on your left called Mt. Pleasant Church. The gravel road across from the church is the forest service road 42. Take that gravel road all the way up till you see the small Springer Mountain parking lot on the left.

is this the baptist church you are speaking of?

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=mount+pleasant+church&near=Ellijay,+GA&fb=1&cid=34704410,-84055920,7281246369027202944&li=lmd&z=14&t=m

whywoogy
01-25-2008, 19:35
i also found cartecay church next to roy rd.....where do i go from here?

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=mount+pleasant+church&near=Ellijay,+GA&fb=1&cid=34704410,-84055920,7281246369027202944&li=lmd&z=14&t=m

Amphibious D
01-25-2008, 21:11
Ok...that site of the church in Suches is NOT the church across from the forest road to go up Springer. As for the church next to Roy Rd., you'll turn onto Roy Rd. It's a two lane backcountry road....seems like it runs forever. While on Roy Rd., go forward on the first STOP sign. The second STOP sign will be at a fork where you will have no choice but to go left or right. Go right. You'll go about 2 or 3 miles until you'll see the small white church on the left at the top of a hill. It's called Mt. Pleasant Church. There will be a sign across from the church with Forest Road 42 and Springer Mt. Entrance on it. Just turn right onto the gravel road and make your way up to Springer. It's not difficult to find. If you do get lost, or have problems with the directions, you can always just head on to Amicalola S.P. and get an easy map to Springer. That's what I did.

minnesotasmith
01-26-2008, 00:16
1) Atlanta has a SERIOUS rush hour. Don't even think of being on interstates or any road important enought to have traffic lights within 30 miles of the Perimeter interstate between 6:45 A.M.- 9:30 A.M. or 3:30 PM-7:00 P.M. on weekdays. You'll regret it if you do.

2) The gravel road (USFS 42) that Springer is NOT a good place to go in a 2-wheel drive vehicle if the weather and road are anything but dry. If snowy, 4-WDs can find it impassable.

double d
01-26-2008, 01:06
I agree with Minnesotasmith, FS 42 is a rough road, just took it back in late Dec., '07 in the cold rain and I have a 4wd Jeep. The "parking lot" on FS 42 is a good place to park overnight, but make sure you leave within a few days because other people will need your parking space because space is somewhat limited. Also, I had alot of fun driving from ASP to Springer, my time was limited and I only got to hike to the top of Springer and back to FS 42, but it was fun to talk to a few hikers, everyone I met was very nice.

Ramble~On
01-26-2008, 02:14
On Roy Road there is a Y and it look as if Roy Road goes straight...it doesn't..it continues to the left...there's no sign at this junction.
There is a sign across from the church that says "Springer Mnt" and I think it lists the mileage....while I wouldn't want to drive a car up FS42 there are a lot of people that do...and make it but that's if the road is dry.

whywoogy
01-26-2008, 11:12
i thank everyone for their input, it is helpful but i think we need to get back on topic.

my question, which no one has really answered is.....what is the most direct straight route to get from south Florida to springer mountain parking lot??

I know i can go from Florida to ASP and then from there I know how to get to Springer, but is there a more direct way in which I do not need to go to the park first??

Lone Wolf
01-26-2008, 11:24
your best bet is to call www.hikerhostel.com and ask them. they know the area better than all these posters

Boudin
01-26-2008, 11:47
FS 42 is not that bad. If it is not snowing, you should be fine in a car with front wheel drive. I am on that road many times a year. While it seems that you are going to the middle of nowhere, you will be surprised by the number of other vehicles that you see. Just take your time. I have driven my wife's Focus thru there many times even in the rain.

Dances with Mice
01-26-2008, 12:14
i thank everyone for their input, it is helpful but i think we need to get back on topic.

my question, which no one has really answered is.....what is the most direct straight route to get from south Florida to springer mountain parking lot??

I know i can go from Florida to ASP and then from there I know how to get to Springer, but is there a more direct way in which I do not need to go to the park first??Yes. I'm assuming you're not coming from the Panhandle:

I-75 N. to Atlanta
I-285 North (or east, whatever. Follow signs to "Greenville".
GA-400 North until it ends

(Alternatively, stay on I-75 through downtown Atlanta, then I-85 North and take the GA-400 exit. I'd do it that way at night.)

GA-60 West towards Dahlonega.

In Dahlonega follow signs to "Camp Frank D. Merrill". There will be a couple of turns.

Immediately in front of Camp Merrill turn right onto Cooper Gap Road.
It's a gravel road.

At Cooper Gap turn left onto FS 42. It'll be the first road intersection.
The Springer lot will be on your right, about 6 - 8'ish miles.

gearfreak
01-26-2008, 15:44
I travel from South Florida to this area every other month. I think these two routes are the best you'll find:

Turnpike to I-75 N through downtown Atlanta, then I-85 North and take the GA-400 exit), GA-60 West towards Dahlonega. In Dahlonega follow signs to "Camp Frank D. Merrill". There will be a couple of turns. Immediately in front of Camp Merrill turn right onto Cooper Gap Road. It's a gravel road. At Cooper Gap turn left onto FS 42. It'll be the first road intersection. The Springer lot will be on your right, about 6 - 8 miles.

or

Turnpike to I-75 N through downtown Atlanta, then I-575 N north to Ellijay and Hwy 52. Take Hwy 52 S until you see a power substation on the right and Cartecay Church on the left, turn left onto Roy Road. Follow Roy Road for 9.7 miles. You will go thru one stop sign and will turn right on Doublehead Gap Road at the second stop sign. Follow this road approximately 2.2 miles until you see Mt. Pleasant Church on your left. Turn right on the dirt road directly across from the church (USFS 42). You should see a large sign indicating that this is the entrance to the Blue Ridge Wildlife Management Area and another sign "Springer Mt. 6.5 miles". Follow the dirt road 6.5 miles to a parking area on your left. The Appalachian Trail to Springer Mountain is across the road from the parking area. The trail to the summit of Springer Mountain is .09 miles (one-way). This route is generally suitable for most passenger vehicles. :cool:

peanuts
01-26-2008, 16:23
no parking fee to pay any longer:)

whywoogy
01-26-2008, 19:35
thank you so much gearfreak and danceswithmice! this is what i was looking for.

gearfreak....where in south florida do you travel from and how long approx does it take?

gearfreak
01-27-2008, 10:50
I live on the east coast in Palm City, about 30 miles north of West Palm Beach. After traveling this route for over 12 years, I can tell you that I always plan my trip to miss the Atlanta rush hour and NEVER take the I-285 bypass (I used to). Not to say you won't occasionally hit some delays, but this more direct route works best more often than not. If you're traveling with someone, use the HOV lane and pay very close attention to the signs that will keep you on I-75. You'll want to use the I-475 bypass around Macon. I always take a look at traffic conditions here (http://www.georgia-navigator.com/) before I leave. This route for me is anywhere from 9 1/2 to 10 hours at the speed limit. A little less if my wife's not with me! :cool:

Mountain Man
01-27-2008, 11:52
Ok...that site of the church in Suches is NOT the church across from the forest road to go up Springer. As for the church next to Roy Rd., you'll turn onto Roy Rd. It's a two lane backcountry road....seems like it runs forever. While on Roy Rd., go forward on the first STOP sign. The second STOP sign will be at a fork where you will have no choice but to go left or right. Go right. You'll go about 2 or 3 miles until you'll see the small white church on the left at the top of a hill. It's called Mt. Pleasant Church. There will be a sign across from the church with Forest Road 42 and Springer Mt. Entrance on it. Just turn right onto the gravel road and make your way up to Springer. It's not difficult to find. If you do get lost, or have problems with the directions, you can always just head on to Amicalola S.P. and get an easy map to Springer. That's what I did.

I hope your not getting to confused with all these directions. They will all get you there, but Amphibious directions are right on. With you coming from Fla. I work at Amicalola State Park and maintain the trail in the area plus hiked it for years and it's the best way to get there plus the Forest service road is better shape going that way.

walks to fast
03-16-2008, 18:57
Hi all, I am in need of getting to SPringer Mountain parking from South Florida. I am not going to park at the State park and do the approach trail. I would like to park my car at Springer Mountain parking lot. Anyone have directions or a GPS location they know of? Thank you for any help!

my husband will be heading to springer mtn. this june we are planning on leaving our car there and getting a shuttle up to dicks creek i called amicalola falls state park 706-265-4703 they are sending me a list of shuttles. we did the approach trail last nov. and hiked to stove creek and back our second hike of 07 if i can be of any help let me know lisa