PDA

View Full Version : Back Issues

jzakhar
01-25-2008, 14:50
I've noticed lately after a long day walking with a pack on (I am just getting ready for March, not on the trial yet).

I sometimes get a very small numb spot in the middle of my back. There is no pain, or discomfort. It's just a small spot of numbness about the size of a walnut or something, not very big.. Anyone else ever get strange sensations in there back after a good day or two walking ?

I really don't want to see a doctor before my hike.

KirkMcquest
01-25-2008, 14:56
I get all kinds of aches, pains, numbness, etc.. after a long day of hiking w/a pack on. If I went to the doctor for everyone of them, I'd never see the light of day.

jzakhar
01-25-2008, 15:01
haha right on. Pain I am not so worried about, it was the numb spot. But if others get them then its no biggie!

DAKS
01-25-2008, 15:03
could be just a harmless ache or a pain, but if it bothers you it certainly warrants having it looked at by a medical professional. especially before a thru hike! IMO!:)

jhick
01-25-2008, 15:41
I sometimes get mild back pain. Hiking poles helped me. After hours of walking when I use poles, I stand straighter and this seems to help. May or may not help you.

jzakhar
01-25-2008, 15:42
I sometimes get mild back pain. Hiking poles helped me. After hours of walking when I use poles, I stand straighter and this seems to help. May or may not help you.

Yah I am gonna grab some poles and try to take some weight off my back.. I am kinda small framed so that should help. TYVM

jhick
01-25-2008, 15:47
Try the cheap Swiss Gear ones in Walmart, $10. There are surely lighter and better ones out there, but why spend a lot more to see if you like them... I've had my pair for about a year with no problems.

Blissful
01-25-2008, 16:30
My right hip would go completely numb. Just something I lived with on the hike. I wouldn't worry about it. Probably a pressure point. Just take your pack off when you rest to allow circulation, etc.

Blissful
01-25-2008, 16:37
Try the cheap Swiss Gear ones in Walmart, $10. There are surely lighter and better ones out there, but why spend a lot more to see if you like them... I've had my pair for about a year with no problems.

My son bent his in the Whites when we went a few years back (he just got them). Depends on the terrain and conditions. If you're only going for weekend hikes, I agree. Long distance, I might invest in a better pair that will be there for you when you need them. My Komperdells from Sierra Trading Post lasted until NH (but I had them three years before that). Then I got my Lekis in Gorham - love them.

gumball
01-25-2008, 18:07
My right hip would go completely numb. Just something I lived with on the hike. I wouldn't worry about it. Probably a pressure point. Just take your pack off when you rest to allow circulation, etc.

Same here. All numb. Sometimes, aside from taking off my pack, I rearrange the contents of the pack, and that will help.

But I agree, if you are going on a thru, it might be fruitful to see a doc!

gum

Jan LiteShoe
01-25-2008, 18:14
Same here. All numb. Sometimes, aside from taking off my pack, I rearrange the contents of the pack, and that will help.

But I agree, if you are going on a thru, it might be fruitful to see a doc!

gum

Good suggestions here.
Before I saw a doc, I'd look to the pack first - shift things around inside, as Gumball suggested. Also, pay close attention to the spot as you carry a load, because my first instinct was Blissful's - there's a pressure point.

Packs can do weird things sometimes.

A friend of mine in '03 developed a stroke in the Smokies from a very weird circumstance. Her shoulder straps did not fit her narrow frame, and created inflammation in some critical large blood vessels in the area, near the neck-shoulder. A little clot broke off and she began stumbling, etc; her companions knew something was off, and lit out for help. She recovered and is fine now, but the docs narrowed it down to friction from the pack strap in a place better not "fricted."

Her journal may be on Trailjournals. Serena was her name, AT Wanabe was her trail name.

mudhead
01-25-2008, 18:14
Does it do it without the pack?

Or with a different Pack?

Or with different shoes?

jzakhar
01-25-2008, 18:35
Does it do it without the pack?

Or with a different Pack?

Or with different shoes?

Ive gotten it with my day pack as well as my normal over night pack. I dont believe I ever tried a different pair of shoes though..

I've never gotten it w/o a pack either. It's always been after a cpl of hours of good walking. It does not hurt or anything, or cause any kind of discomfort.

I am gonna try a few suggestions here about redistributing my load and using 2 poles before I hit up the doc though..

Thank you all =)