PDA

View Full Version : Critique my gear list!

jhomeresq
01-25-2008, 15:18
Hello White Blaze!

My wife and I are planning a 3 week hike of the AT from Glasgow, VA to Harper's Ferry. April 26-May 16. We're planning to resupply in Waynesboro and Lurray, Va. We have car camped and day hiked before, but are total neophytes to backpacking.

I've been doing lots of research the past 2 months, and this web site has been an invaluable help. Thank you!

I've just finished working up a gear list for our trip. As well, I've made a list of clothing I think we will need to take, although I have done no research into items we would actually buy.

I've attached my gear list as an excel spreadsheet, and you can also view it at: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pYqA4TPKfeGz8rFD6qPGWRA

Any thoughts you have on this list is greatly appreciated. This is EVERYTHING I plan to take, down to the last detail, with the exception of a few mesh bags / plastic bags, so any omissions you notice are of particular importance to me.

Thanks so much,
John

DesertMTB
01-25-2008, 15:30
I would ditch the playing cards and first aid kit.

Hotrod
01-25-2008, 17:03
I would ditch the water filter for Aqua Mira. It will save you a good amount of weight and the filters can be pretty annoying.

If possible, I would ditch the tent and just bring the rainfly/poles/footprint. (I am a tarp man myself) It will still be early in the season so bugs should not be a problem.

Compass - not necassary.

Leatherman - not necassary. A mini knife is all you need.
Matches - I would just go for a cigarette lighter.

Clothing - are each of you caring 2 SL shirts, 2 LS wool? Only one of each is necassary if you will be carying fleece and rain shell. As long as you are hiking you will be warm, and otherwise you always have your warm sleeping bag to get in. I generally only had shorts and rainpants. I cooked and hanged out at camp in my sleeping bag.

Underware - Also, I would ditch the underArmor underwear and get shorts that have mesh liners. Underwear can get stank in a hurry, the more airflow the better. I just carried one pair of boxers for sleeping purposes only.

Gloves - You do not need glove liners and mittens. Rembers you can always covert a pair of socks to gloves if necassary.

Camp Suds - not necassary. I started with camp suds but never used. A handful of leaves does the job. Sounds gross but generally I always boil water (to disinfect) for my next meal anyway.

Hotrod
01-25-2008, 17:09
I would ditch the water filter for Aqua Mira. It will save you a good amount of weight and the filters can be pretty annoying.

If possible, I would ditch the tent and just bring the rainfly/poles/footprint. (I am a tarp man myself) It will still be early in the season so bugs should not be a problem.

Compass - not necassary.

Clothing - are each of you caring 2 SL shirts, 2 LS wool? Only one of each is necassary if you will be carying fleece and rain shell. As long as you are hiking you will be warm, and otherwise you always have your warm sleeping bag to get in. I generally only had shorts and rainpants. I cooked and hanged out at camp in my sleeping bag.

Underware - Also, I would ditch the underArmor underwear and get shorts that have mesh liners. Underwear can get stank in a hurry, the more airflow the better. I just carried one pair of boxers for sleeping purposes only.

Gloves - You do not need glove liners and mittens. Rembers you can always covert a pair of socks to gloves if necassary.

Camp Suds - not necassary. I started with camp suds but never used. A handful of leaves does the job. Sounds gross but generally I always boil water (to disinfect) for my next meal anyway.

Seeker
01-25-2008, 18:06
1oz for a first aid kit is pretty light, unless i'm misreading and your's is 9 oz. (eyes are shot).

my biggest injury concerns while hiking are hot water or stove burns, small cuts, insect bites, blisters, sprains, and punctures, all of which i can treat with my small first aid and repair kits and other items i carry with me. i was fortunate to have spent a bit of time in the army, and my first aid skills are pretty good (ie, i can treat all of the above injuries.)

i usually just carry bandaids (the kind with the neosporin already in them), moleskin, and some aspirin. i carry a couple sizes of needles in my repair kit, duct tape, and a bandanna, and you always have extra clothes somewhere in your pack... the bandanna can serve as a sling, large bandage, sprain support, or burn covering. all you need is enough to get to the next road junction and get off the trail.

if it's worse than that, like a broken limb, there are plenty of natural materials around to make splints with, and i can use spare clothing to pad the splint and to tear into strips to tie it off. beyond that, i'm past my own first aid knowledge. i see no sense carrying anything i don't know how to use or can improvise from other gear.

i'd leave the footprint (just be careful where you set up, and don't abuse your tent floor).

water filter vs chemical. i use Aqua Mira drops, having decided a filter is too heavy for me. some people don't like the taste. i don't taste anything. i don't mind a few floaties either.:D

forget matches/spark makers. get 2 good lighters, name-brand Bic minis... one goes in your cookset, the other is your spare. even without fluid, you'll have sparks. and they're pretty indestructible, in my opinion. i found one once, buried for weeks in the mud to the point it was rusty, that still worked. i DON'T use cheapo brand ones though. just Bic. ymmv.

your other gear looks ok. you'll figure out whether you're comfortable without a compass, or a smaller knife, or whatever, and will make constant improvements to the list.

jhomeresq
01-25-2008, 18:43
Thank you for the advice so far.

Seeker - My First Aid kit is 9 oz, not .9. It was a typo. I just received the kit today and am very impressed with it. It has a large assortment at a light weight.

Thanks for the advice on the lighters. I think I will keep the matches for an emergency, and will replace the fire-starter with the bic lighters.

Hotrod-

I have a follow up to your suggestion about clothes. One of the Big 10 is extra clothes, and so I was thinking it would be wise to have an extras shirt or 2 each in case we get soaked and need something dry and warm. With the amount of clothing we are bringing is this unnecessary?

Thanks for the advice so far!
John

Hotrod
01-26-2008, 01:59
In regards to clothes, I am going to assume all of your clothes are synthetic (cotton kills). In my opinion, having the extra SS shirt and LS shirt would be more to maintain "clean" clothes rather than for warmth. You would never actually wear 2 SS, 2 LS, fleece and rain gear. If your clothes are wicking, getting wet should not be a big problem. The biggest problem you will have with rain is keeping your boots/shoes/socks dry.

The weight of your fleece may also weigh into your need for additional clothing. A mid to heavy fleece should be plenty warm to only need one pair of SS, SL. Such a fleece would primarily be used just for camp, as it would be too hot for hiking (other than the first 15 minutes of the day).

If you are a clean freak, you may want to keep the extra pair. If you are not comfortable with this notion, you may want to bring it and mail/bounce it at the first post office you come to (or not start with it and pick up at the first PO if you do need it). Unless it is going to be unseasonbly cold, I think you should be fine w/o.

On a side note, a good lightweight emergency clothing to bring is thigh-high panty hose. It weighs nothing and can be used on the legs or arms. It may not look very manly but it works.

Seeker
01-26-2008, 09:14
Seeker - My First Aid kit is 9 oz, not .9. It was a typo. I just received the kit today and am very impressed with it. It has a large assortment at a light weight.

Thanks for the advice on the lighters. I think I will keep the matches for an emergency, and will replace the fire-starter with the bic lighters.

ok, yeah... 9 oz is a little heavy for just a first aid kit...

pyroman53
01-26-2008, 10:45
You're right to worry about extra clothes, but with SS & LS shirt, you just make sure the "extra" one (the one you're not wearing) is dry. No matter what, if its raining, doesn't matter how wet you get, just make sure you have something dry to change into when you get to camp. This could also be your other shirt or the fleece. Then you always have your sleeping bag as the final guarantee. As long as you're hiking, you can be OK in wet clothes. Often this means putting on your still wet clothes from yesterday. Now that's a treat you just gotta expereince!

warraghiyagey
01-26-2008, 10:48
Critique your gear list?
OK. Your gear list is stupid.

:p

Nearly Normal
01-26-2008, 12:26
Add a cheap plastic table place mat.
You always need a dry place to sit or a clean place to stand while washing off and changing.
Lose the excess stuff you won't use everyday.
If you don't you can always send it home at the first PO you come to.

Lone Wolf
01-26-2008, 12:28
Hello White Blaze!

My wife and I are planning a 3 week hike of the AT from Glasgow, VA to Harper's Ferry. April 26-May 16. We're planning to resupply in Waynesboro and Lurray, Va. We have car camped and day hiked before, but are total neophytes to backpacking.

I've been doing lots of research the past 2 months, and this web site has been an invaluable help. Thank you!

I've just finished working up a gear list for our trip. As well, I've made a list of clothing I think we will need to take, although I have done no research into items we would actually buy.

I've attached my gear list as an excel spreadsheet, and you can also view it at: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pYqA4TPKfeGz8rFD6qPGWRA

Any thoughts you have on this list is greatly appreciated. This is EVERYTHING I plan to take, down to the last detail, with the exception of a few mesh bags / plastic bags, so any omissions you notice are of particular importance to me.

Thanks so much,
John

your list is fine. go with what you got. doesn't really matter what folks think

warraghiyagey
01-26-2008, 12:36
Amen.:):)

refreeman
01-26-2008, 18:58

what a crock o' *hit :D

ChinMusic
01-26-2008, 20:33
Ear plugs, if you even THINK of staying in/near a shelter.

quasarr
01-27-2008, 21:32
Here are things on your list that I would leave home

spare batteries - if they run out, you'll be fine for a day or 2 until you get to town to buy more
star map
vasoline
Deodorant - face it, you're gonna stink! also, deodorant can attract bugs
REI towel - bandanna can do this
Sanitation trowel - just use a stick/rock/heel to dig a hole
sunscreen - not much sun under the trees!
Cards
Gaiters
Liner gloves - you only need one pair
sunglasses - again, not much sun under the trees
1 short sleeve and 1 long sleeve shirt - you only need 1 of each
10 ft of duct tape each is a bit excessive!
1 lighter - if you have matches as backup, no need for 2 lighters

Are you treating your water with chlorine or a filter? Are the chlorine tabs for emergencies?

I recommend you replace a fleece layer with a poofy coat, either down or synthetic insulation. These jackets are warmer, lighter, and more compressible than fleece! It will be too warm to wear while hiking, but is good for camp or to add warmth to your sleeping bag.

You say you're bringing the extra shirts in case you get wet. You can use strategy to keep your clothes dry. Separate your clothes into "for camp" and "for hiking." For camp will include your sleeping long johns, poofy coat, and hat. For hiking is short sleeve shirt and extra layers. While hiking, you leave your camp clothes in your pack, wrapped in the trash bag with your sleeping bag. They will stay dry from sweat & weather.

And if your dry bag gets wet, having extra wet items won't do much to help you stay warm, so why bring them!

Hiking generates a lot of heat, so you can usually stay warm wearing only a few items. Layering a base shirt, a fleece, and rain jacket will keep you warm down to about 20 degrees.

Hope this was some help! these are just suggestions, as always hike your own hike! :)

Yahtzee
01-27-2008, 21:52
I second just about all of what Quasarr suggested but I would keep the cards. Don't carry them personally, but if you and yours are in the habit of playing cards to combat boredom they just might come in handy on a rainy day.

Programbo
01-27-2008, 22:01
I think everyone has covered the list fairly well but I will add..Carry what you are physically capable of which will make your trip enjoyable for yourself and your wife..Don`t get caught up in the "weight" game..Pack what you want and put the pack on and see if it feels like a weight you can handle...However I question a 3 week trip for a first hike...Most people start off with 2 day trips or 3 days max and from doing those shorter trips they learn what they can carry and what they do and don`t use and then when they start long distance hiking they already know what`s what

take-a-knee
01-27-2008, 22:28

Compass - not necassary.

Ignore this guy, bugs will be a problem.

Underarmor underwear is the best thing since sliced bread.

A pair of Mountain Laurel Design rain mittens weigh 1.4 oz, get them.

Anytime someone tells you that you don't need a map, your brow should furrow, anytime someone tells you that you don't need a compass then you KNOW he's a moron. It only figures he doesn' t care for soap also.

A large leatherman is overkill, but a little Micra is always with me.

I always have three sources of fire, a lighter, waterproof matches, and a magnesium block/hacksaw blade with vaseline soaked cotton balls.

You don't need to carry four shirts, he got that right.

taildragger
01-27-2008, 22:37
However I question a 3 week trip for a first hike...Most people start off with 2 day trips or 3 days max and from doing those shorter trips they learn what they can carry and what they do and don`t use and then when they start long distance hiking they already know what`s what

meh, if you're partner is dogmatic, then I wouldn't worry too much about that. My GF is going to do her first overnighter with me, which if all goes according to plan, should be followed by another 59 overnighters.

Lose weight where you can, but don't get too carried up in the weight and speed games, make sure that you enjoy what your out there for, unless its lightweight and fast, then its already to late to help you :D. Next thing you know you'll be cutting holes in your toothbrush, cutting misc parts off of your pack etc..

Panzer1
01-28-2008, 00:00
Camp Suds - not necassary. I started with camp suds but never used. A handful of leaves does the job.

A handful of leaves does what job???:confused::confused::confused:

Panzer
ps. bring the camp suds...

jhomeresq
01-28-2008, 00:22
Thank all for your continuing advice... I've cut a few things, and gone back and forth on others based on everyones advice. My most updated list is now here: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pYqA4TPKfeGz8rFD6qPGWRA My goal is a 20lb base weight skin-out. Looks like I'm going to miss that by a bit, but its a start. (I know, I know, my boot are freaking huge. I have bad ankles, so I want the support).

Taildragger, We are planning several weekend trips through March and April including a 4 night trip in mid-march to get us started. I doubt we'll really be ready for three weeks at that point, but its a start.

Best,
John

Hotrod
02-14-2008, 18:44
A handful of leaves does what job???:confused::confused::confused:

Panzer
ps. bring the camp suds...

Back me up here guys. Who else cleans their pot with leaves?

Lone Wolf
02-14-2008, 18:47

me. and/or sand. suds of any sort don't belong in the woods

Blissful
02-14-2008, 18:48

The finger and the edge of a spoon with some water worked for me. And a good cleaning when you get to town. I had a film canister of suds but only used it in outdoor showers at shelters when there was no soap. (Partnership and 501)

Lilred
02-14-2008, 18:53
no need for soap. First thing you're going to do with your pot next is boil water in it. That'll kill anything that might be growing. Just water and a finger is all you need. Now, if you burn the stuff to the bottom of the pan, number one, you're not doing it right, and number two, use dirt and leaves. ;)

dmb658
02-14-2008, 22:37
Dirt and leaves is a great way to clean things, (ESP. tree sap!!) but don't forget the bandana, i dont like boiling water with pieces of dirt in it.

ALSO, i would recommend bringing the cards, there is a lot of free time, and cards can keep you entertained for HOURS

Erin
02-14-2008, 22:56
Great suggestions. For a three weeker, I would take my camp soap. It was soo hot last year at the same time we did zip lock bag washing...away from the water source. Have a good time. Your partner may want to check out the female forum for some tips also. Those lite shirts, undies and even socks dry quickly overnight.