PDA

View Full Version : Ping-Pong Balls!!

bladefreak
12-31-2003, 19:49
I recently discovered that ping-pong balls are quite flamable (don't ask me how) and some research has revealed that this is due to the fact that they contain magnesium. They weigh close to nothing ( 0.075 oz. by my scale) burn with a large flame for 20-30 seconds and I think they would make a great firestarter. Also, they won't go bad by getting wet, so you don't have to bag them sepratly. I'm going to try this out soon and see if my ideas are correct. Who would have guessed?

Streamweaver
12-31-2003, 20:10
I recently discovered that ping-pong balls are quite flamable (don't ask me how) and some research has revealed that this is due to the fact that they contain magnesium. They weigh close to nothing ( 0.075 oz. by my scale) burn with a large flame for 20-30 seconds and I think they would make a great firestarter. Also, they won't go bad by getting wet, so you don't have to bag them sepratly. I'm going to try this out soon and see if my ideas are correct. Who would have guessed?

Hmmmm!! Thats interesting! I wonder why ping pong balls have magnesium??!!
Since they are hollow you could cut a hole in em and store some other stuff like more fire starters etc,just plug the hole with a cork or something that could also be used as a fire starter. It would also be a good place to wrap some duct tape! Fill em with wax and saw dust and you would have a whopper of a fire starter that would burn a looong time!! If you carry some fishing tackle in your emergency kit ping pong balls would make a nice float in a pinch. Streamweaver

Kerosene
01-01-2004, 11:04
Talk about a multi-use item -- you could stage ping-pong tournaments on shelter floors!

jlb2012
01-01-2004, 21:31
yeah - it would drive the mice living down stairs absolutely NUTS

Valmet
01-02-2004, 08:39
I would think that with the other items they are made of there would be a chance of giving off some toxic fumes. I will stick with other ways, candle nub, cotton balls in vasoline, small dry sticks, etc.

chomp
01-02-2004, 11:17
Actually, Ping Pong Balls are made of Celluloid, not magnesium. Still, they are quite flammable and might be an excellent idea for a firestarter. They do typically cost more than a dollar a piece, tho. It would be very cool if you could somehow collect "dead" ping pong balls. That would be perfect.

http://yahooligans.yahoo.com/content/ask_earl/20021107.html

Shoe Leather Express
01-09-2004, 17:16
Potato chips are also flammable. The plain ones by Wise are the best. Whatever you don't burn to start the fire you can eat. Gear isn't the only thing that can be dual purpose. ;)

Dozer
01-09-2004, 18:10
If you're a tarp user--for those silnylon tarps that don't have ties on the centerline--try this for a secure storm-proof tarp pitch--place ping pong ball on the inside of the tarp and hold it in place by gathering the fabric around the ball on the outside (it'll look like a silnylon covered ping pong ball). Tie a guy line around the base of the ball to hold it in place then attach other end of guy line to a branch/tree above your site, and stake out corners. You can place the ping pong ball in a number of different positions on the centerline and diagonals to give yourself some headroom in what would otherwise be a very low pitch. Recommended reading--SGT Rock's Tarp Pitching page. If you don't like it then use the PP ball to start a fire. (I just torched one off--they burn like the dickens)

Blue Wolf
01-09-2004, 18:24
Damn don't any one just start out with small sticks and moss any more & a good bic lighter???

Streamweaver
01-09-2004, 20:32
Damn don't any one just start out with small sticks and moss any more & a good bic lighter??? I think the idea is to use the balls as EMERGENCY fire starters , not for a regular campfire. Streamweaver