PDA

View Full Version : short gaiters for big boys?

walkinfool
01-25-2008, 16:50
I've been looking for some short gaiters but I have pretty thick calves and I can't seem to find any that will wrap all the way around my calf comfortably. Any other 'big boned' people who have found gaiters that work for you? I'd really like some waterproof ones that will keep most (some) of the rain out of my boots.

Thanks,
-walkinfool

hopefulhiker
01-25-2008, 17:34
The short OR ones worked for me but unlike the long ones they are not Gore Tex and can get wet after a while....

fivel
01-25-2008, 17:37
if the elastic is the issue (not the circumference of the fabric) then you could try taking out the elastic and replacing it with a bigger piece. i dunno, just a thought.

walkinfool
01-25-2008, 17:43
if the elastic is the issue (not the circumference of the fabric) then you could try taking out the elastic and replacing it with a bigger piece. i dunno, just a thought.

It's the circumference that's too small...thinking I might make my own out of Tyvek, but that's a lot more work than I was hoping for. Maybe I'll take a look at the OR ones hopefulhiker mentions above.

fivel
01-25-2008, 17:48
instead of making a whole new pair you could also try putting in a piece of tyvek as an expander with velcro on two sides connecting to the ends of the gators. i dunno, again, just a thought, not sure if this helps or is easy to do

Lion King
01-25-2008, 17:49
I feel your pain.

My calves are large as well and gaiters cut off my cirulation. Although this is the first hike I have ever worn them...and I have an XL set or OR's

walkinfool
01-25-2008, 17:56
instead of making a whole new pair you could also try putting in a piece of tyvek as an expander with velcro on two sides connecting to the ends of the gators. i dunno, again, just a thought, not sure if this helps or is easy to do

Great idea, fivel. Maybe I'll try that. I'll keep looking and think about how much work it would be to make some.

mudhead
01-25-2008, 18:02
The OR shorties are only about 5" (guessing) from the lacehook. Try them on in a shop, and try pushing the top down some. Depends where your calf flares.

walkinfool
01-25-2008, 18:06
The OR shorties are only about 5" (guessing) from the lacehook. Try them on in a shop, and try pushing the top down some. Depends where your calf flares.

mudhead,
Are you referring to these? ... link (http://www.rei.com/product/721674)

mudhead
01-25-2008, 18:09
Yes. I never used the bottom lace. Just the bootlace hook. They "accordian" pretty good, and I had room for a little up and down play. I see they have gone up $2. Course I need a new Ridgerest and I think that went up $5.

fehchet
01-26-2008, 15:01
or none.