PDA

View Full Version : Backpack for short torso

hbower
01-25-2008, 17:01
Hello, I am a new poster here. Been lurking for a while though. I am loking for a different pack for my 10 y/o. His torso is a little over 13in. He is currently using a womans Kelty that adjusts from 12-16 inches. It's a good pack but even with doing some razor blading of unnecessary stuff weighs in at 4lb. My 13y/o son has a GG Vapor Trail short that is perfect for him but still too long for the 10y/o. I would really like to stay 2lb or less. We looked around at REI recently, but their Comet pack was almost as heavy as what he has. Wanted to look at a GG Virga, but they didn't have one in stock. His pack weight with the Kelty is around 12lbs. He done well with that on a 4 day 40 miler earlier this summer. We are planing a June hike and just looking for a lighter/smaller pack for him. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

gumball
01-25-2008, 18:05
How about a GG Vapor Kia. Nice light pack, made for a woman's short torso. I'm not exactly sure how short, but I have a pretty short torso and I am very comfy in it. I think its about 2 lbs.

hbower
01-25-2008, 18:24
I'll check it out next trip to REI. Looking at the GG website, the Vapor Ki short model is 15-18 inches just like the Vapor Trail. Maybe the woman "specific" hipbelt has a higher fit ? The Vapor Trail doesn't work for him, since the hipbelt falls just slightly below the crest of his hips. It's funny though, all of the packs that were adjustable enough to fit his torso were either too heavy or too bulky. This was at REI though. We have to drive about 90 miles to get there. There are no gear shops any closer. Thanks for any advice.... Harold

gumball
01-25-2008, 18:34
Well, I will tell you that, on me anyway, the Vapor Ki does ride higher on me than my husband's GG Vapor Trail. It actually bothered me for awhile, b/c I was used to an Osprey, which rode more around my hips--but I quickly adapted to its comfort.

I went through a bunch of packs before I found one that was comfy for me. I'm sure there is something out there for your youngster. We were in the same spot, no gear stores nearby. I did a lot of mailing and returns of those before I found one--it makes it very hard when you can't try it before you buy it!

Good luck.

Hoop
01-25-2008, 22:08
Check out the Granite Gear Vapor Ki Pack for sale, just listed today (by Spork). It's fits a short torso.

hbower
01-26-2008, 01:14
I checked it out, thanks. That's a great price too. I guess we need to go back to REI and let him try one on. I don't know if he will go for the purple though. The pictures on the GG website make this pack look quite a bit shorter than the Vapor Trail beside it. It may be just 2 pictures taken at different focal lengths.