PDA

View Full Version : vid of me getting fire w/ bowdrill

bjj4287
01-25-2008, 17:56
i posted a vid of me getting coal a while back... i got some better wood and got better at and shot a a vid of me getting fire...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=x8_-NwaXDlw

jesse
01-25-2008, 18:05
bj - thats pretty cool

dessertrat
01-25-2008, 18:12
You are one 15 year old in a thousand, I'll bet, in today's terms.

RITBlake
01-25-2008, 18:28
GREAT VIDEO!

love the music rolling in at the end, cool touch.

makes me want to learn how

berninbush
01-25-2008, 18:52
Extremely impressive. I had no idea it could be so fast.

How long does it take you to "set that up"... to make the drill, etc?

BackTrack1
01-25-2008, 18:59
What kind of wood did you use?? :-?

Roland
01-25-2008, 19:00
Way to go, Alex. Nice work!

bjj4287
01-25-2008, 19:08
the wood is nothern white cedar on northern white cedar... that is a part of the reason it was that fast because the wood is very good... the coal was formed a lot earlier in the video but i kept going to make sure that i had one

spittinpigeon
01-25-2008, 19:27
I'll make sure to pack out earplugs if I ever use a bowdrill. That was like nails on a chalkboard.

Smile
01-25-2008, 19:36
EEEEEEEK! I had my volume turned WAY UP! My hair is now permed.....Very cool video, you did a great job, and really quickly too. What was the fuzz, cotton?
:)

bjj4287
01-25-2008, 19:46
yeah... before this video... i put some toilet paper in like an envelope of paper towel.... the coal just burned through it... this one was cotton bals torn up and put in a paper towel envelope

Fly Rod
01-25-2008, 21:18
Ya got skill dude

Montego
01-25-2008, 21:25
Great job :)

Wanderingson
01-25-2008, 21:32
Awesome stuff,

I recently went on an african safari and had some Samburu Warriors teach me how to make fire with a hand drill. That was some tough work. It took 3 of us to take turns with the spindle. It took a few minutes to make the hot coals and we dumped it in to dry donkey dung. It took another couple of minutes of blowing, but finaly got FIRE. I felt like superman for accomplishing this feat and it was a blast. It was the highlight of my 14-day trip.

TOW
01-25-2008, 22:42
i posted a vid of me getting coal a while back... i got some better wood and got better at and shot a a vid of me getting fire...

that's pretty dang dippy.................

scavenger
01-26-2008, 00:09
Nice job! I practice primitive living skills as well, and making bow-drill fires. I think my favorite kit uses a cottonwood spindle on cottonwood baseboard, or a cottonwood spindle on cedar/juniper baseboard. I have an Elk's knee bone that makes a perfect hand-hold for the top of the spindle. :cool:

You may try using finely shredded cedar or birch bark for your tinder bundle... Dryer lint works great too. If you blow on it from below you don't get that smoke or possibly little embers in your face. I think a squeeky spindle means either you should apply more downward pressure or the spindle's tip may need roughening up. Regardless, you busted that coal nice and fast, and had a flame in no time. Congrats.

Did I see a mora knife? Love them too.

berninbush
01-26-2008, 00:11
Say you start with three pieces of wood, kindling, and a knife. How long does it take to produce the drill setup, assuming you have to carve things into the correct shape? How hard is it to learn to do that?

doggiebag
01-26-2008, 00:30

Great video and I love the soundtrack. Nice fire.

Critterman
01-26-2008, 09:44
Say you start with three pieces of wood, kindling, and a knife. How long does it take to produce the drill setup, assuming you have to carve things into the correct shape? How hard is it to learn to do that?

I did it once just to see if I could with materials I found and a knife. I used a split cotton wood branch for the board and a willow stick for the drill. It took about an hour to get it to work. It was alot of fun. I think bjj4287 did a great job, I loved that flaming TP.

Hooch
01-26-2008, 10:08
Mad skillz yo! Nice to see a good kid in Charlotte on the right track! Hope you don't go to South Meck! :eek:

bjj4287
01-26-2008, 10:17
naw i dont go to that dirt meck... Myers park babay

bjj4287
01-26-2008, 10:32

really its just trial and error..

bjj4287
01-26-2008, 10:34
imo the mostimportant thing is the type of wood... make sure its soft... a good test is to puncture ur finger nail with it... if it makes a dent it should be good... it also has to be dry .. here is a list of woods that will work

hese woods will work when used as a spindle and fireboard for a bowdrill.

Cedar
CottonWood
Willow
Aspen
Sassafras
Beech
Sage
Alder
Buckeye
Box Elder
Sycamore
Viburnums
Tamarack
Juniper
Elderberry
Basswood
Sumac
Birch
Mesquite
Poplar
Maple
Palm
Ash
Mullien
Yucca
Any Fruit Tree
Mule-Fat
Big-Leaf Maple
California Bay
California Fan Palm
Coyote Brush
Desert Willow
Laural Sumac
Telegraph Weed

Lone Wolf
01-26-2008, 10:42
when you're 18 you'll be able to buy bic lighters.

oldfivetango
01-26-2008, 11:42
I like to use delaminated jute twine that I get in a small roll
at Ace Hardware.That way you have a dual use cordage that makes
a great fire tinder if necessary.

My board and spindle are sycamore but I carry a bic,a BlastMatch,
strike anywhere matches in a water proof container,and a candle.
You will find a candle saves alot of matches and bic gas since it
is so easy to light.

Nice video!
Oldfivetango

Nearly Normal
01-26-2008, 12:10
Awesome stuff,

I recently went on an african safari and had some Samburu Warriors teach me how to make fire with a hand drill. That was some tough work. It took 3 of us to take turns with the spindle. It took a few minutes to make the hot coals and we dumped it in to dry donkey dung. It took another couple of minutes of blowing, but finaly got FIRE. I felt like superman for accomplishing this feat and it was a blast. It was the highlight of my 14-day trip.

Highlight?
Where exactly did you go in Africa?

Tin Man
01-26-2008, 12:17
Awesome stuff,

So you admit to and were obviously excited about blowing smoke on ass dung? Interesting. :-?

88BlueGT
02-06-2008, 00:32
when you're 18 you'll be able to buy bic lighters.

LMAO, wow that made me laugh :D