PDA

View Full Version : pack too heavy?

powderfinger
12-31-2003, 22:17
I'm planning on hiking the AT and I was wondering if I should get a new pack. My current pack is a Lowe Alpine Alpamayo ND70, 6 lb 13 oz, 4300 cu. in. I think this seems too heavy although I don't really want to buy a new one. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Streamweaver
12-31-2003, 23:52
I'm planning on hiking the AT and I was wondering if I should get a new pack. My current pack is a Lowe Alpine Alpamayo ND70, 6 lb 13 oz, 4300 cu. in. I think this seems too heavy although I don't really want to buy a new one. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

That pack is only too heavy if you feel that its too heavy!! If your pack weight (the entire load) is too heavy you might just want to work on getting rid of some unnecesary weight.Things that you really dont use much if at all that are just taking up space in your pack.I dont how much hiking you have done with that pack,but you need to ask yourself ,how did the pack feel? Did you carry a heavy load? was it comfortable? If your thinking of getting a pack say about 4-5 lbs or something like that ,why not first go through your gear and see if you can shed some weight by leaving out anything you really dont need like all those extra batteries,that extra cook pot that came with the set but that you really never use,extra clothes that end up just sitting in your pack etc,etc,etc.Pretty soon youve dropped that couple of pounds you would have saved by purchasing a new pack without spending another dime.Another thing is a lighter pack might not have as good a suspension as the heavier pack you have now ,so that new pack might lighten your load a bit but it could end up feeling heavier and less comfortable because the suspension sucks!! Im not trying to talk you out of or into anything ,but if it turns out that pack is working well for you and carries a load comfortably ,then the weight of the pack itself dont really mean much. one thing you could do is post your gear list on this forum and ask folks that have thru-hiked what things you might need and what you might not. theres usually at least some things you can leave at home and drop some weight .Good luck and Happy New Year. Streamweaver

uphillklimber
01-01-2004, 07:39
Yeah, what streamweaver said. There is another line of thought, also. (I did take this one.) Actually I did as Streamweaver said also. Minimize is the best way, you gotta ask yourself if you really need it.

My theory is that if you drop some 3-4 lbs. off the weight of your pack, and minimize all other weight, do you need the added weight of a better suspension system? Basically, if you go lighter, will the lesser suspension be adequate? A buddy had the pack I bought, and commented no problems. I had opportunity to try it out, and got one. Actually feels about as comfy as the old pack, and 4 lbs. are gone, so at the end of the day, I am not as fatigued. This pack did not fit my wife comfortably, so she had to pass. (It is an EMS Long Trails, $120.00) Well worth it to me. The pocket configuration actually worked out a bit better than my old pack. Only drawback, if you call it a drawback, is that there is no sleeping bag compartment. Everything goes in from the top. Which works for me, tent out first, then bed pad, then bag. (Yeah, I put EVERYTHING inside).

Anyways it works for me. I hope you find a good balance that works for you.

Peaks
01-01-2004, 09:23
Good posts above, but let's look at things this way.

I assume that you already have all your gear. Now your task is to reduce the overall weight. Your current pack weights 6 pounds, 13 ounces. Let's say that you have gone to your local outfitter to check out lighter packs. You find that the Gregory Forester feels good to you, and at 4 pounds 14 ounces, weights 31 ounces less . If you buy it, that 31 ounce savings will cost you $239/31, or $7.70 per ounce saved.

Now, can you spend the $239 on other equipment that will reduce your weight by more than 31 ounces? Lighter tent? or maybe tarp? Lighter sleeping bag? Less clothing? etc.

By the way, I'm not pushing Gregory backpacks, just using it as an illustration. While it's a good backpack, there are plenty of options out there. But, if you look around, I think that any pack over 6 pounds is on the heavy side by today's thru-hiker standards.