PDA

View Full Version : Bad Habits

Jack Tarlin
01-25-2008, 18:49
If my calendar is right, I just hit 100 days on my efforts to quit smoking.

As far as I recall, this is the longest I've gone since I started, back in college, which was during the McKinley administration.

Just wanted to tell you guys out there that if I can do this, ANYONE can (there are people who've known me for years who've told me they can't EVER recall seeeing me without a Camel in my hand or mouth).

Best of luck and best wishes to anyone making similar attempts to change their lives for the better!

And on that note, I think I'll go have a smoke! :D

(Um, nope!)

Cannibal
01-25-2008, 18:52
Wow, Congrats Jack! I'm still working on a tobacco habit; I know it ain't easy to kick. Great job!

mlkelley
01-25-2008, 18:52
Jack, if I may ask, did you just go cold turkey? Any helpful advice to a 23 year, 2+ packs a day smoker.

sloopjonboswell
01-25-2008, 18:53
way to go man, maybe theres still hope for me. best wishes bjack. -pike county

neighbor dave
01-25-2008, 18:53
:-?quittin's easy i've done it a million times:D
really though, nobody likes a quitter:jump

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-25-2008, 18:54
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/bounce014.gif http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/bounce014.gif http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/bounce014.gif http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/bounce014.gif http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/bounce014.gif
The whole forum is cheering!

Lone Wolf
01-25-2008, 18:55

As far as I recall, this is the longest I've gone since I started, back in college, which was during the McKinley administration.

Just wanted to tell you guys out there that if I can do this, ANYONE can (there are people who've known me for years who've told me they can't EVER recall seeeing me without a Camel in my hand or mouth).

Best of luck and best wishes to anyone making similar attempts to change their lives for the better!

(Um, nope!)

Cool. You're 100 days smoke free, Sgt. Rock retired from the Army today, and I'm one year older. Things come in 3s. Let's party! :banana

Miss Janet
01-25-2008, 18:57
I was sp proud of you but I knew you were being quiet about it! So now I can say it!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!! :clap:clap:clap:clap

Roland
01-25-2008, 18:58
Cool. You're 100 days smoke free, Sgt. Rock retired from the Army today, and I'm one year older. Things come in 3s. Let's party! :banana

Congrats to all three!

warraghiyagey
01-25-2008, 19:00

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/ad/bday.gif

weary
01-25-2008, 19:04
I'll come. And won't even talk politics. I'm truly pleased Jack. I know it is not easy. I never was a heavy smoker. But it still took three years.

And I had special incentives. I had pretty much lost my voice. And a friend was dying of throat cancer, and still couldn't quit. I just decided to see if it was possible. It was.

Weary

Tipi Walter
01-25-2008, 19:06
As a lover of fine tobacco in the form of pipe smoking, I can understand the allure of the humble nicotene plant. It had somethng to do with my hands, something burning like an incense stick, and the rich smell of burning pipe tobacco. I sure don't pack the pipe and pouch now, though.

I knew a homeless guy in Boone NC and we'd hang out together on the sidewalk. He was a chain smoker. I asked him what's the longest he went trying to quit. He said about 20 minutes.

Lugnut
01-25-2008, 19:25
If it has been 100 days I would say you've got it whipped. I just hope quitting doesn't make you grouchy! :D Seriously, congratulations!

Smile
01-25-2008, 19:28
Way to go, good news is nice to read on here :)

http://redravine.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/no-smoking-clock-from-quitsmokingcom-clock333w.jpg

A-Train
01-25-2008, 19:38
Congrats on continued progress and good health! This gives me hope and should do the same for you. Maybe you can one day resist the temptation to respond to some assinine political posts here :)

Keep up the good work. I'll have a smoke in your honor tonight!

SGT Rock
01-25-2008, 19:38

(Um, nope!)
Congrats man. So can you smoke cigars ;)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-25-2008, 19:40
::: Dino peeks over her trifocals at Sgt Rock (who is so tall I can barely see his head) :D :::

Lone Wolf
01-25-2008, 19:41
Congrats man. So can you smoke cigars ;)

sure he can. kinda like an alky havin' a couple of brews

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-25-2008, 19:51
sure he can. kinda like an alky havin' a couple of brews::: Dino looks at LW's toes and doesn't bite them only because it is his birthday :::

dixicritter
01-25-2008, 20:03
Congrats Jack. I know from experience just how tough this is my friend. I'm very proud of you!

cannonball
01-25-2008, 20:14
A smoker never quits. They just go into remission. props to 100 days of remission.

Two Speed
01-25-2008, 20:14
Keep up the good work, and congratulations!

10-K
01-25-2008, 20:18
Jack - that is great, both for you and the people who love you!

Thomas

Trillium
01-25-2008, 20:29
Jack, that's FANTASTIC!!! props to you.

gumball
01-25-2008, 20:39
That's great. My husband quit this past year, and if he could quit, so can you. He did a couple of rounds of Chantix, that really helped.

Also: HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, TOO, LW!

CaseyB
01-25-2008, 20:47
Good job! 25 days for me & the wife here. Gonna go test my willpower at Dot's.

Kirby
01-25-2008, 20:59
Congrats Jack.

Kirby

Bulldawg
01-25-2008, 21:05
Congrats Jack. It's a tough toad, but your a tough ole dude. Keep up the good work!!

rcli4
01-25-2008, 21:13
I have been 36 days. I think I'll make it. Jack do ya still want one ALL the time?

Clyde

trecker99
01-25-2008, 21:14
Congrats i've been 5 years now keep up the good work:)

Lilred
01-25-2008, 21:26
Way to go Jack!! I quit October of 2000 It get's a helluva lot easier. Every time I see folks huddled outside of a building, freezing cold, to have a smoke, I am sooooo happy I quit. The damn things control your life.

DGG
01-25-2008, 22:02
Jack, I'm a long-time lurker on WB. I have learned a lot; I just don't have much to contribute. But I do know about quitting smoking. I wanted to send you my best wishes. Also, at this point in quitting I found it easier & easier to get by. You have done the really tough part, so hang in there. Best wishes, Dennis.

PS I always enjoyed W.C. Fields' response to the blonde who asked him how tough it was to give up drinking: "Nothing to it. I've done it dozens of times."

Ron Haven
01-25-2008, 22:07

(Um, nope!)Jack,I am really proud of you.I have been quit smoking for over 20 years but I remember it sure was tough to stop.I did it cold turkey with out all this stuff they sell on tv.In about 3 days after I stopped I was shaking like a $2 ladder.

T-Dubs
01-25-2008, 22:22
Congrats to all three!

I think I'll go have a brew or two to celebrate those 3 events.
Goodnight all and congratulations to the 3 of you.

TWS

Mountain Maiden
01-25-2008, 22:40
Jack--That's a great accomplishment!

I've never smoked and I am grateful because I don't know if I would be able to quit. I am always proud for those manage to give it up.

Good for you!

See you up the Trail...

Sunny

TOW
01-25-2008, 22:50

(Um, nope!)
Right on Jack!

weary
01-25-2008, 23:10
A smoker never quits. They just go into remission. props to 100 days of remission.
Not always true. I was in remission for three years. But by the end of five years the whole idea of smoking was repulsive -- and has remained so for nearly 30 years.

Weary

Alligator
01-25-2008, 23:30
Congrats and keep up the good work.

peanuts
01-25-2008, 23:43
jack - congratulations on your milestone...
keep strong!!! and enjoy the fresh air:)

nitewalker
01-25-2008, 23:53
congratulations jak. smoking is a tuff gig to give up from what i understand. my mom and a gentleman that works for me both just got diagnosed with smoking related problems COPD,Emphesima and the gentleman has lung cancer. not good days over here but we all make the best of it.. i found out the gentleman had cancer the same day whiteblaze crashed.. well i hope things work out for all of you who try and kick that nasty smoking habit...........peace out, nitewalker

Frosty
01-25-2008, 23:53
Congratulations, Jack. You'll hike easier and live longer.

Stay vigilant. It took me a couple years before I no longer had a craving. It would appear at odd times.

Quitting smoking was probably the toughest thing I ever did. Again, good for you!

OregonHiker
01-26-2008, 00:37

(Um, nope!)

Good on you!!!:D

Tinker
01-26-2008, 01:33
Congrats, Jack. I tried to give up smoking numerous times. Finally, just before I got married, I told everyone I knew that I would. I got the usual "Sure you will" responses, but, if not for anything else than "keeping face", quit I did (26 years ago).
Keep it up. We're rooting for ya!

dessertrat
01-26-2008, 01:37
I quit in September 2007. Today makes day 125. It keeps going, and keepws getting better. Ditch the crap, you all! You know what I am talking about.

Footslogger
01-26-2008, 01:42
Stick with it Jack !! Been over 20 years for me and I often wonder how I ever got so hooked.

All the best ...

'Slogger

greentick
01-26-2008, 01:57
Nice Jack. Slave to the weed no more...

Dogwood
01-26-2008, 04:07
So, Jack can we expect another 5-8 AT thru hikes out of U? At least, an attempted AT thru-hike speed record? HUH, HUH, HUH. With all the money you've been saving, maybe, U can finally afford that new pair of boots. Congrats!!!

fiddlehead
01-26-2008, 05:28
Didn't even know it was legal nowadays? oops, maybe it's not?

seriously, way to go Baltimore!

Jason of the Woods
01-26-2008, 07:49
Congrats. It's been 6 months for me and every day is a battle.

chiefduffy
01-26-2008, 07:54
Congrats Jack!! I quit while I was in the military, and I remember it took a year or so before I could run without almost passing out. But it just gets better - you will be amazed how far you can climb/hike/etc without getting winded as time goes on. The hardest part for me was learning to drink without a smoke (believe me - it can be done!)!

- Duffy

Critterman
01-26-2008, 09:18
Good job Jack. People who haven't smoked don't realize how hard it is to quit. I quit Sept. 8 2007. I have quit several times before, once for 8 years. Every now and then you get the urge to smoke but it only lasts a few minutes but if you light one up you will be right back at it even years later.

Lone Wolf
01-26-2008, 09:22
People who haven't smoked don't realize how hard it is to quit.

people who haven't smoked are smart enough to never start

hopefulhiker
01-26-2008, 09:40
Congratulations Jack, If you can hike the AT a bunch of times surely you can beat this addiction.. I used to smoke three packs a day myself, but I quit about 25 years ago. I actually went through the shakes like a heroin addict. Anyway good luck with it. You have made it over the toughest time I think.

I quit drinking too about the same time.. I found out that your body naturally produces its own alcohol.. about the equivilent of having a quart of beer a day.... So I thought it was a good deal to get a free quart of beer a day....

Terry7
01-26-2008, 09:44
This Easter will make 4 years for me. I smoked 2-3 packs for 35 years. I wont preach here but I have to give all the credit to the Lord. When I walked out of the movie theater after seeing "The Passion of the Christ" I went to lite up a smoke. Instead I thru the pack in the garbage can and never had any withdrawls.

weary
01-26-2008, 10:11
This Easter will make 4 years for me. I smoked 2-3 packs for 35 years. I wont preach here but I have to give all the credit to the Lord. When I walked out of the movie theater after seeing "The Passion of the Christ" I went to lite up a smoke. Instead I thru the pack in the garbage can and never had any withdrawls.
You're one of the lucky ones. A few people never get addicted. They smoke only because they enjoy it. And stop with ease. I never was a very heavy smoker, especially of cigarets. I quickly switched to a pipe and then cigars.

But the urge still persisted for three years. But Lone Wolf is right. Only a fool ever starts. My excuse was I didn't have the advantage of the surgeon general warnings. Those didn't arrive until 20 years later -- though we called them "coffin nails" none-the-less.

Weary

Critterman
01-26-2008, 10:35
people who haven't smoked are smart enough to never start

Smoking was the stupidest thing I have ever done.

theanthonys
01-26-2008, 10:35
Way to go, Jack!!! I quit Jan. 8, 2005 -- and am still glad every single day although the first few months were very difficult! I brainwashed myself to believe that if I backslid & had a cigarette, if I took more than 3 puffs I'd be violently ill. It worked like a charm -- only took a few times of sampling my ex's & getting horrible headache / throwing up before the habit was gone for good.

You should be at the point where your senses of taste and smell are starting to really come back strong and delight you, eh?

I think you've got it made after 100+ days without -- GREAT JOB, congratulations.

Jo Anthony

Rain Man
01-26-2008, 11:35
Congratulations Jack and ... (I never thought I'd be saying this) ... to all you quitters!

And ... Lone Wolf just called me smart! Thanks, LW!

Rain:sunMan

Tin Man
01-26-2008, 11:36
Missed this thread yesterday. Congrats Jack and happy 101!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-26-2008, 11:43
I quit twice - once for my first pregnancy (stayed stopped for 8 years) and the second time in 1992 because it was wrecking my health.

A word of advice - leave the cigars alone. That was what got me back to smoking after my first time quitting. I was at a bachelor party for one of my closest friends and and the guys fired up cigars -- so I did too....:datz http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/Frequently%20used/sheep.gif%5B/IMG%5D

Lone Wolf
01-26-2008, 11:45
I quit twice - once for my first pregnancy (stayed stopped for 8 years) and the second time in 1992 because it was wrecking my health.

A word of advice - leave the cigars alone. That was what got me back to smoking after my first time quitting. I was at a bachelor party for one of my closest friends and and the guys fired up cigars -- so I did too....:datz http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/Frequently%20used/sheep.gif%5B/IMG%5D

what were you doing at a bachelor party? :-?

Tin Man
01-26-2008, 11:46

Better stay away from me around a campfire then! :) I never smoked cigarettes, but there is nothing like a cigar with a scotch and a campfire.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-26-2008, 11:48
what were you doing at a bachelor party? :-?The groom was one of my closest friends - and I was the designated driver for the evening since I don't drink....

Tin Man
01-26-2008, 11:53
The groom was one of my closest friends - and I was the designated driver for the evening since I don't drink....

Whew! I thought maybe you jumped out of a cake. :eek:

Lone Wolf
01-26-2008, 11:56

musta been a tame/lame party

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-26-2008, 11:56
No jumping out of the cake for me - but there was a strip-o-gram that evening. :o

dessertrat
01-26-2008, 12:16

(Um, nope!)

Congratulations. I am on day 125. I took Chantix for a while, but for less time than the prescription called for. And I feel the same as you about "if I can do it, anyone can." I was from 1 to 2 packs a day for twenty years, and on prior quit attempts, was brought literally to tears and punching the walls by withdrawal. If anyone out there feels that they "just can't" quit, give Chantix a shot.

Roots
01-26-2008, 12:34
My screen is now covered in orange....LMAO!! GOOD ONE, Tin Man:D

Roots
01-26-2008, 12:41
As a fellow former smoker, I know how hard this has been for you. I used to smoke about 2 packs a day for 20 years. I have been smoke free for about 4 1/2 years and love it. The biggest help for me was the Nicoderm CQ patch. I swear by it. One of things that blew my mind was how much time smoking took up. When I quit, it was the habit of it that bothered me more than the addiction part. My health was sucking. Now I feel great and haven't needed my inhalers since I quit. ( I used to use inhalers at least 2x a day when I smoked)

Proud of you, Jack!!! Keep it up!! :banana:clap:dance:jump:bse:)

Ewker
01-26-2008, 12:48
It is a hard habit to stop so congrats on doing it.

Almost There
01-26-2008, 14:09
Wow, You go Jack, now I guess I gotta quit, I think for me it's been more of a habit than addiction, they're both there, but I don't smoke all day long during the week, and never when I am hiking...and I don't think about it. My biggest hurdle is that my wife isn't ready to quit. Coming home to cigarettes makes it hard, but I figure now, if Jack has done it...I gotta do it!!!

Seriously, though, great job Jack!!!

dessertrat
01-26-2008, 14:30
I have found that the key to "staying quit" is that you cannot cheat at all. No nicotine of any sort whatsoever, ever. No cigars, no chew, no substitutes, etc. YMMV.

fehchet
01-26-2008, 14:47
I gave myself a Christmas present one year and stopped. Smoked Camels too or rolled them. Great news Jack. Actually Miss J. has been keeping me apraised about your quiting. Just think, now your pack weighs less because you can toss the Zippo and container of lighter fluid. OK now time to start working on what else gets tossed from your steamer trunk/backpack. Good luck. How many heads did you bite off during the first 14 days? Actually all the nicotine should be purged from your body by now. Stay away from closed rooms or cars where someone else is puffing. Unless it's pot. I'll keep you in my prayers.

brotheral
01-26-2008, 15:31
That's Fantastic Jack !!!!
I finally stopped on Jan 1st 1998. Told everyone I knew that Jan 1 was "the day". I'm sure that helped me get started... Boy was I moody for the first month or2. I usually don't cuss, but out of nowhere I'd tell my girlfriend to blow it out her %$*&^%%..... !! I can remember what it used to be like. Sitting there coughing in the morning and sucking in more of that poison. Walking out on a trail wheezing & looking for a place to stomp out a cigarette, nearly wrecking my car when the end of my cigarette fell between my legs (many times), smoking with my children in the car,... Thank God, I got sick of allowing it to destroy my life.
It wasn't long before I started to feel much healthier and younger. Had alot more energy and enthusiasm.... Stay Stopped Jack !! It will keep getting Better !!
Happy Trails........BrotherAL

Jack Tarlin
01-26-2008, 15:38
Wow, thanks for all the kind words!

A few folks had questions: Yeah, it was completelly cold turkey. No patches, nicotine gum, mad Russian hypnotists, etc. Just got up one morning and instead of lighting up, I threw the pack in the woodstove.

I'm chewing on wooden matches a lot, which seems to help; it gives you something to have in your hands and mouth. On occasion, tho, you end up with the "red" end in your mouth which is not pleasant. :eek:

And someone else asked if I still have the urge to smoke.

Well, sure.

But only when I'm awake. The other third of the day I'm just fine.

Once again, thanx again for all the kind words and best of luck to anyone trying to do the same thing!

Roland
01-26-2008, 18:16
~
And someone else asked if I still have the urge to smoke.

Well, sure.

But only when I'm awake. The other third of the day I'm just fine.
~

Perhaps the key to success is to get more sleep? :D

Kirby
01-26-2008, 18:26
Well... jack didn't bite my head of in Hanover or at Trashgiving, so he seems to he handling it pretty well:sun.

Glad to hear it's going well Jack,
Kirby

PS:
For the record, I don't smoke.

strnorm
01-26-2008, 20:06
Way to go Jack, I have been smoke free for three years now, just think of all the less stuff you will have to carry now, it gets easier on you every day hang in there:sun

two-step
01-26-2008, 20:26
Way to go Jack!!! It's a tough thing to give up. And best wishes to the Camel that has spent so much time in your mouth.

Jan LiteShoe
01-26-2008, 20:37
Hey, Jack just saw this, that had to be tough, and now here it is, Day 101.
Congrats!

And congrats to dessertrat and Clyde too - proud of you boys.

May you all live long active lives, with clear lungs with which to suck down the mountain air.

weary
01-26-2008, 20:53
....OK now time to start working on what else gets tossed from your steamer trunk/backpack. .....
Think REpublicans Jack.

Mountain Man
01-26-2008, 21:41
Congratulations Jack,
I started smoking in my early teens and it never seemed to affect me much then.
I was athletic and loved sports,hiking and hunting. "Fast forward about 30 years" It was Jan. 28 of 2001 I took a long hard look at myself and didn't like what I saw. Driving a truck for a living, I was smoking aroud 2 packs a day, weighed 270 lbs. and all I did all day was set in the truck and drive except to stop at a resturant to eat and eat and eat. The only exercise I got was walking to and from my truck and I would be out of breath. And working the remote control to the TV when I got home. Next week will be 7 years ago that I laid them down cold turkey and went back to hiking, playing sports and going to the gym. I lost 50 lbs also. Now I can run for miles and miles with no problem. The bad thing was I started dipping when I quit smoking so I just made my mind up today I am laying the snuff down too. I've been thinking about it, but quitting something like that you have to really make your mind up. I just made mine up!!!!!!:banana:banana:banana
Oh yeah I need to lose about 30 more lbs. too. I'm going to do that also.!!!!!:banana:banana:banana

Sorry for the dancing banana's but I couldn't help it.:D

ole slo
01-27-2008, 10:35
Welcome to the club Jack. One day at a time.

Mini-Mosey
01-27-2008, 14:32
Never met you personally, but congratulations. I've heard alcoholics say it was tougher to stop smoking than to stop drinking!! As another poster said, one day at a time.

Sleepy the Arab
01-27-2008, 15:30
You did this to save on pack weight, right?

Congrats and good health to you!

Grumpy Ol' Pops
01-27-2008, 15:34
Jack, if I may ask, did you just go cold turkey? Any helpful advice to a 23 year, 2+ packs a day smoker.

2 packs a day? Baby style! Try 4 packs of unfiltered Camels per day! I arrived home one afternoon (March 8, 1989) from work with only one left in my only pack. I had already quit smoking thousands of times before, but this day was different. Then and there, I decided that I would make dinner and enjoy it, then smoke the last cigarette I would ever have for the rest of my life.
It wasn't an easy thing to do for someone who was used to waking up several times a night to wander into the bathroom just to have a smoke!

I found that if I drank an 8-ounce glass of water and took three to four DEEP breaths of clean oxygen everytime I wanted to light up, it helped quite a bit. The breathing stimulated the brain into thinking I was smoking, so it became satisfied with that as a substitute. Three days of cold turkey and I no longer wanted to violently rip the heads from baby bunnies! I put a sign on my office door that I would probably kill anyone who bothered me unnecessarily!!! That got a few strange looks, but no was dared to bring up any subjects that would get me screaming!
One week to the day that I had that last one, I went into a bar to have a beer. Only smokers can appreciate the connection there -- but I made it! That was March 15, 1989. To this day, I have never had another cigarette or any other form of tobacco. Those were the days when a carton cost about $2.50 and a pack was 25 to 30 cents. At the end of the first year after I quit, I paid for a nice three-week vacation in Hawai'i just with the cost of what I could have spent on the old nails. The lifelong savings have been many times more than that, not to mention the health benefits of breathing clean air.
Now, I cannot stand to be in the same room with a smoker, even one who goes outside to smoke and simply has the Stench of cigarettes on their clothing.
So I don't want to hear anyone say they can't quit!!!

Chaco Taco
01-27-2008, 15:38
Im 85 days smoke free. Congrats Jack!!!