sloopjonboswell
01-25-2008, 19:07
its totally the best!

Lone Wolf
01-25-2008, 19:10
i thought that was what they were for

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-25-2008, 19:12
Hmmm... is that legal? I know it is in bad taste, but anyone know if it is legal to do it?

AT-HITMAN2005
01-25-2008, 19:13
not really a big deal if your the only person there.

Lone Wolf
01-25-2008, 19:14
Hmmm... is that legal? I know it is in bad test, but anyone know if it is legal to do it?

no laws against it

spittinpigeon
01-25-2008, 19:16

It's always a big deal. We showed up at the shelter south of the NOC at about 9-10ish. Two tents in there with some poor bystander squeezed in the middle. All their trash unburned in a cold fire pit.

Lone Wolf
01-25-2008, 19:18
It's always a big deal. We showed up at the shelter south of the NOC at about 9-10ish. Two tents in there with some poor bystander squeezed in the middle. All their trash unburned in a cold fire pit.

gotta learn to not rely on shelters

spittinpigeon
01-25-2008, 19:23
Oh, believe me, I wasn't and I don't. I felt bad for the for the dude in the middle. The people tenting were clueless and inconsiderate. Nothing new though.

Appalachian Tater
01-25-2008, 19:34
There is nothing inherently wrong with setting a tent up in a shelter. The problem is in not taking it out the instant someone else shows up, without being asked. A Tarptent works great as a bug bivy.

AT-HITMAN2005
01-25-2008, 19:36
i think once its dark thirty you can safely assume no one else is going to show up at a shelter. not always the case i know but you should always have a personal shelter.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-25-2008, 19:46
A question for the shelter dwellers - is it OK to use one of those bug-nets that hangs from overhead and tucks under your mat (http://www.modernoutpost.com/gear/details/cg_bugtent.php) in shelters when others are present?

Smile
01-25-2008, 19:53
Wow, that's a cool little bugnet tent thing, would be nice for summer hiking :)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-25-2008, 20:17
It is wonderful under a tarp - I've even been known to cook inside this thing when the bugs are really bad. I've considered making a double size bug-net with a solid silnylon panel at the head using the same design and using that instead of our bivy tent with our monster 10' x 12' tarp. It would give the He-Dino that enclosed feeling and have awesome ventilation.

saimyoji
01-25-2008, 20:23
A question for the shelter dwellers - is it OK to use one of those bug-nets that hangs from overhead and tucks under your mat (http://www.modernoutpost.com/gear/details/cg_bugtent.php) in shelters when others are present?

duh?? you mean your skin isnt thick enough to repel mossies? :eek:

use that net dino....more power

SGT Rock
01-25-2008, 20:29
Feel free to put it up in the shelter. It won't be taking my space.

Just be advised - if I am hiking through and it is cold, they may catch fire.

Lilred
01-25-2008, 21:30
Had two women set up there tents at overmountain shelter. Took up the whole one side of the outside decks. And the place was packed and rain was coming. Boy scouts and all. They claimed it kept away bugs and wouldn't take them down even when asked. Thing was, it was really breezy and no bugs. Some folks are just plain inconsiderate of others.

winger
01-25-2008, 22:03
Sorry, but I find it pretty pathetic that someone would put up a tent inside a shelter. Man, that makes me even more likely to avoid the places altogether, I'll just hang in the trees......has anybody taken the trail name "NoShelter" yet? If not I got dibs on it.

Lone Wolf
01-25-2008, 22:06
...has anybody taken the trail name "NoShelter" yet? If not I got dibs on it.

nope. it's yours. add an S to winger then you're " NoShelterSwinger"

Marta
01-25-2008, 22:12
I don't see anything wrong with setting up your tent in a shelter, per se. To me the only issue is whether you are taking up more than your fair share of space.

I'd rather be sheltering with someone in a small tent than someone with a loose dog, or who wears their muddy boots onto the platform, or who stays up really late, or who gets up too early, or who drops food all around or who has an alarm watch that beeps in the middle of the night, or who sets an alarm so he/she can get up early and then doesn't hear the damned thing (but it sure will wake me up), or who...does lots of obnoxious things.

shelterbuilder
01-25-2008, 22:13

No laws against it - this kinda looks like something that I made for myself years ago - keeps the bugs out, but without a breeze, they get surprisingly warm in the summer. (The finer the mesh, the less the air moves through them.) This sort of net would be a whole lot more "hospitable" than the tent set up in the shelter, since it doesn't take up that much room, and doesn't separate you from the other shelter dwellers.

minnesotasmith
01-25-2008, 23:48
I used them extensively during my 2006 thruhike. They need not take up any more than your fair share of shelter space. However, if they aren't made of no-see-um mesh, IMO they're next to worthless. You'll still get chewed up and lose sleep if only the mosquitos are kept out, there are so many biting gnats along the AT.

Pedaling Fool
01-26-2008, 00:27
Shelters are a great case study in communal living.

double d
01-26-2008, 00:57
Tents belong outside of shelters, after all, that is what a tent is, shelter. Theres alot of forest out there to tent in, so why pick a shelter and make an a** out of one's self?

CrumbSnatcher
01-26-2008, 01:02
Tents In Shelters ? I Dont Have A Answer, You Cant Fix Stupid!

take-a-knee
01-26-2008, 01:06

You can, however, get stuck on stupid.

Tinker
01-26-2008, 01:06
I don't think much of using a shelter to shelter tents, but I HAVE hung a hammock in a couple (empty except for 2 of us, and if others came, they could have slept underneath my hammock).
Now, if the tenters are willing to share their sheltered tents with other hikers, maybe they could stay in the shelter (but I doubt they would).

CrumbSnatcher
01-26-2008, 01:18
I don't think much of using a shelter to shelter tents, but I HAVE hung a hammock in a couple (empty except for 2 of us, and if others came, they could have slept underneath my hammock).
Now, if the tenters are willing to share their sheltered tents with other hikers, maybe they could stay in the shelter (but I doubt they would). SHELTERS PRETTY MUCH SUCK ANYWAY! AND YOU WANT ME TO SLEEP UNDER YOUR HAMMOCK? THANKYOU

Tinker
01-26-2008, 01:21
No, probably not.

CrumbSnatcher
01-26-2008, 01:28
I Too Will Try For The Speed Record, I Will Only Stop And Sleep At Shelters That Either Has A Tent Inside Or Hammocks Hung Up Inside. If They Dont I Will Hike On Til I Find What Im Looking For!

Dogwood
01-26-2008, 03:58
Traveling the AT or hiking in general is so much more enjoyable when people are considerate and respectful of each other. This should go without saying!

Is it not safe to assume that the purpose in carrying a shelter(tent, hammock, bivy,etc.)is so that U don't need to stay in a AT shelter? I can't imagine a tent not taking up more room in a AT shelter than one would normally take up without a tent. Seems like those who put up tents in a AT shelter want to take up more room than what is commonly held as respectful hiking/shelter etiquette. The few people whom I have come across with tents up in shelters have done so because it was somehow more convenient for them(ie; they don't want to take down a possibly wet or dirty tent in the morning). At the very least, people who put or want to put up a tent in a shelter should ask others occupying the shelter if it's okay. If others come along and want to stay in the shelter when a tent is already set up the shelter I think it is right for the people with the tent to either tent outside the shelter or take down the tent. Just be aware that others are out there hiking to also enjoy themselves.

Lone Wolf
01-26-2008, 04:20

just staying in a shelter is stupid. period

Survivor Dave
01-26-2008, 04:46
I just don't get the principle behind wanting to take a perfectly good tent or hammock and setting it up inside a shelter. How many roofs does one need? I assure you that if it annoys other folks, it will probably be the last time they do it.
Personally, I don't see why anyone would sacrifice their backs, sleeping pad or not, to sleep on a hard wood floor or a bunch of branches lashed together.

I will use them in bad weather, but not with a tent.

SD

My Kuntry Kondo........

fonsie
01-26-2008, 07:48
I'd seen tents up in shelters and I amit I'd thrown up my Hubba up in one. What is annoying is you get to a shelter and scout group 225 is there making the shelter there jungle gym and a bunch of kids saying "we got the shelter hike on hiker". The scout master did'nt say nothing to me just gave me a dirty look and another kid said this other person was a devil worshoper that I was hiking with. The sighn said in the shelter groups larger than 10 should tent,"That means Boy Scouts" <<----thats what the sighn said. So I maid a statment saying your parents, scout leaders, and you should learn to read the sighns to the kid that would keep violating my space.

mudhead
01-26-2008, 07:57
So report them.

Survivor Dave- Is that tent a Fling?

Hooch
01-26-2008, 08:01
I can understand and appreciate the arguements for and against putting up a tent in shelters. For those of you who are against, that's just a one more excellent reason to go to a hammock (http://www.hammockforums.net). :D

minnesotasmith
01-26-2008, 08:05
I can understand and appreciate the arguements for and against putting up a tent in shelters. For those of you who are against, that's just a one more excellent reason to go to a hammock (http://www.hammockforums.net). :D

When they make a hammock that has a perfectly straight/flat bottom when in use, I'll consider one. Til then, tents and shelters for me. Your bed at home doesn't have a big curve in it, does it?

Survivor Dave
01-26-2008, 08:07
MSR Hubba Hubba

So report them.

Survivor Dave- Is that tent a Fling?

Hooch
01-26-2008, 08:12
When they make a hammock that has a perfectly straight/flat bottom when in use, I'll consider one. Til then, tents and shelters for me. Your bed at home doesn't have a big curve in it, does it?It's funny you mention that. I'm glad you did. Here ya go (http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/BMBH.htm). Hammocking has a learning curve to it (maybe that's why you don't like them :p) and so the only way to learn is to do, plain and simple. When the weather is decent, I sleep outside in my hammock on the back porch. I'm able to lay flat in my hammock on the asym without any issues whatsoever. As a matter of fact, there are several folks who sleep in their hammocks full time at home. Bottom line? Don't knock it til you've tried it.

Roland
01-26-2008, 08:17
I~Hammocking has a learning curve to it (maybe that's why you don't like them :p) and so the only way to learn is to do, plain and simple. ~

You'll catch more bees with honey, than with vinegar.

Hooch
01-26-2008, 08:21
You'll catch more bees with honey, than with vinegar.*Hooch's Disclaimer: Some portions of this program may or may not necessarily be based on or in reality. In other word, relax, it's just a joke for chrissakes. Jeez.

Topcat
01-26-2008, 08:26
I am sorry you had that experience, fonsie, i have actually had hikers come up to me and compliment me on the behavior of the scouts in my group at shelter areas ( even a couple of thru hikers at Ed Garvey who my kids fed all night while they listened to trail stories). I always tent but if the shelter is empty, the scouts have stayed in them. We all carry tents, though, and if there is a crowd, we all tent.

No big deal, but if you get the units number and the behavior is as you said, you should make a complaint to the council where they are chartered. there is no excuse for rudeness or bad behavior.

Terry7
01-26-2008, 09:30
I never sleep in shelters. I always carry my tent. I do not go out on the trail to sleep in a small room with a bunch of snoring, farting, and sometimes rude people. In 2007 I met a lot of scouts, they where all great people.

Lone Wolf
01-26-2008, 09:31
:D some will never "get" it. shelters are for the lazy and unprepared

AlwaysHiking
01-26-2008, 10:07
Wouldn't a tent be more effective on the ground anyhow? If there's any air passing below the floor boards in the shelter, aren't you going to sleep warmer on the ground?

I don't know, just thinking...

dessertrat
01-26-2008, 12:39
It's nice to have a privy and a fire pit. Other than that, I wouldn't mind if they did away with the shelters and just had tentsites.

Tinker
01-26-2008, 13:00
According to Lone Wolf, shelters are for the lazy and unprepared.

I disagree.

They're for cooking and writing in the registers. :)

Lone Wolf
01-26-2008, 13:02
According to Lone Wolf, shelters are for the lazy and unprepared.

I disagree.

They're for cooking and writing in the registers. :)

you got me there. plus they're good for leaving books, pamphlets and other junk for the sheeples

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-26-2008, 13:18
While I don't mind shelters being there I do mind being forced to use them - I feel that having legal tent sites with privies between the shelters would make a lot of sense in high-use areas like the GSMNP and the Whites, but I'm not a member of any of the organizations that make such decisions and don't have strong enough attachment the AT to try to make that happen. My efforts and $$$'s go toward other eastern trails.

If He-Dino still wants the ATC patch and the only way to get it is to hike the AT thru the GSMNP and the Hut area up north, then I will have to stay in some shelters - nasty and despicable as they are. He's warming up to the corridor idea as being saner than the current everyone walks the exact same path idea so we may bypass the formal AT on both of those sections. Neither of us wants to stay in a shelter. I gave up sleeping with rodents when I divorced my first husband :D

Lone Wolf
01-26-2008, 13:23
If He-Dino still wants the ATC patch and the only way to get it is to hike the AT thru the GSMNP and the Hut area up north,

you can just buy it. lots of people have them

Mad Hatter 08
01-26-2008, 13:31

Well obviously they weren't the only ones there then. And obviously they were not the considerate type like here on wb bcuz they wouldn't have left their trash out.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-26-2008, 13:32
you can just buy it. lots of people have themIf we hike an alternate route and the ATC doesn't approve it, we will either buy one or get a similar patch from another organization. By the time we finish, it wouldn't surprise me if the GET has such a patch. To me, the AT is just a trail - not the trail. I've hiked all of the AT thru the GSMNP several times as part of loops with other trails - never stayed on the AT there because of those damned shelters.

dessertrat
01-26-2008, 13:34
Does it occur to anyone that if the tents back in the 1930's didn't leak or weigh a ton, they might have never built the shelters? I think if silnylon had existed back then, it would be tentsites all the way.

Terry7
01-26-2008, 13:34
It's nice to have a privy and a fire pit. Other than that, I wouldn't mind if they did away with the shelters and just had tentsites.
Me too. One thing that used to get me ticked off is these shelter areas that dont have any tent sites. I know you trail maintainers do a great job, but why are so many shelters areas with out tent sites?

warraghiyagey
01-26-2008, 13:37
I have yet to come across a shelter and not have a place to put up my tent in the area, usually a number of spots to choose from.

winger
01-26-2008, 13:50
Well, its reassuring to know that others feel the way I do about shelters, that said, I wonder how many have been able to avoid a shelter in the Smokies, and what is the penalty if caught not using a shelter? I am tempted to do a clandestine bivouac in the trees (made much easier by using a hammock).

warraghiyagey
01-26-2008, 13:54
Well, its reassuring to know that others feel the way I do about shelters, that said, I wonder how many have been able to avoid a shelter in the Smokies, and what is the penalty if caught not using a shelter? I am tempted to do a clandestine bivouac in the trees (made much easier by using a hammock).
If it can be done in the White's (it can) it should be possible in the Smokies.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-26-2008, 13:56
I have yet to come across a shelter and not have a place to put up my tent in the area, usually a number of spots to choose from.The problem is that GSMNP requires section hikers to use the shelter system along the AT and the hut system forces people to camp away from privies and fire rings (not a big deal to me, but may be for some). When I backpack, I prefer to stay in the shelter I am carrying and away from other people - Dinos are sociable enough critters during the day, but the snoring Dinos like their privacy at night. You won't catch us at group campsites very often - probably why few here have ever camped with the Dinos on a trail.

warraghiyagey
01-26-2008, 13:59
The problem is that GSMNP requires section hikers to use the shelter system along the AT and the hut system forces people to camp away from privies and fire rings (not a big deal to me, but may be for some). When I backpack, I prefer to stay in the shelter I am carrying and away from other people - Dinos are sociable enough critters during the day, but the snoring Dinos like their privacy at night. You won't catch us at group campsites very often - probably why few here have ever camped with the Dinos on a trail.
When I get down near your area this fall will you (the Dinos) join me and another WB SOBOer for a campfire?

minnesotasmith
01-26-2008, 14:00
I am sorry you had that experience, fonsie, i have actually had hikers come up to me and compliment me on the behavior of the scouts in my group at shelter areas ( even a couple of thru hikers at Ed Garvey who my kids fed all night while they listened to trail stories). I always tent but if the shelter is empty, the scouts have stayed in them. We all carry tents, though, and if there is a crowd, we all tent.

No big deal, but if you get the units number and the behavior is as you said, you should make a complaint to the council where they are chartered. there is no excuse for rudeness or bad behavior.

But IMO your scouts should already be out of the shelter before lone and pairs of other hikers arrive. They shouldn't be put on the spot with having to remind your mob that shelters aren't for large groups, nor to have to wait for the horde to go tent, as they should have in the first place. Don't tell me your Scouts will cheerfully go set up tents after dark...

Terry7
01-26-2008, 14:08
I have yet to come across a shelter and not have a place to put up my tent in the area, usually a number of spots to choose from.
Well I guess you are just one lucky dud. When I say a tent site I mean a level spot of ground. I have pitched on the slant many times. But I have done all my hiking in the south.

warraghiyagey
01-26-2008, 14:12
Well I guess you are just one lucky dud. When I say a tent site I mean a level spot of ground. I have pitched on the slant many times. But I have done all my hiking in the south.
Lucky dud?? That's not very nice.:p
I have had a couple stays where I wasn't on the perfect level but, hey, that's part of being on the AT I guess.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-26-2008, 14:14
When I get down near your area this fall will you (the Dinos) join me and another WB SOBOer for a campfire?Check your PMs

Lilred
01-26-2008, 14:16
When I hiked through Kincora two summers ago, Bob Peoples told me that the new 'wave' of shelter building is to build shelters on a slope so that you couldn't tent near them. Somehow that is supposed to stop the area from being overused. That's why he built that (relatively) new shelter that is named after some waterfall, on that steep slope. Nowhere to tent nearby.

Shelter builder??? any comments on this???

Lone Wolf
01-26-2008, 14:22
no shelter was "needed" in that area. might as well pave the trail too

dessertrat
01-26-2008, 14:24
When I hiked through Kincora two summers ago, Bob Peoples told me that the new 'wave' of shelter building is to build shelters on a slope so that you couldn't tent near them. Somehow that is supposed to stop the area from being overused. That's why he built that (relatively) new shelter that is named after some waterfall, on that steep slope. Nowhere to tent nearby.

If the roof is anywhere near flat, I might find a place to tent regardless. . .

Terry7
01-26-2008, 14:29
Thanks for the info. That sorta makes since. I would see all the hard work that was done on these areas and wonder why they did not level any spots.

minnesotasmith
01-26-2008, 14:30

Just in the Eastern half of PA where the people in charge of trail and design have f'-all understanding of what differentiates a TRAIL from random bushwacking. (Hint for them: it's more than occasional, 10-YO blazes and decent shelters...)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-26-2008, 14:35
no shelter was "needed" in that area. might as well pave the trail tooWhere is this shelter? How far is it from other shelters / camp sites?

Lone Wolf
01-26-2008, 14:41
Where is this shelter? How far is it from other shelters / camp sites?

tennessee. 9.5 miles past apple house shelter. 10 miles before moreland gap shelter. there's 3 campsites in that 20 mile stretch

weary
01-26-2008, 14:54
Charlie Gilman, who designed most of the recent Maine shelters, has died. A retired Navy Lt. Commander, he is scheduled to be buried in Arlington National Cemetery on Monday I believe.

He was the designer of the last shelter I worked on, the East Branch shelter north of Whitecap in Maine. The detail of his work was amazing. Each tree to be cut down was marked and the precise location of each chainsaw milled plank noted.

REgardless of what you think of shelters -- and I think they are an anachronism -- a lot of loving care by very dedicated people have gone into their design and construction.

Weary

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-26-2008, 15:23
tennessee. 9.5 miles past apple house shelter. 10 miles before moreland gap shelter. there's 3 campsites in that 20 mile stretchSounds like the shelter rats complained they were having to {gasp} tent in this area :rolleyes:
Charlie Gilman, who designed most of the recent Maine shelters, has died. ..... Regardless of what you think of shelters -- and I think they are an anachronism -- a lot of loving care by very dedicated people have gone into their design and construction.Noted, Weary, and may Charlie rest in peace.

Pedaling Fool
01-26-2008, 17:44

That's an interesting theory. Is this just in Bob's area or is this a principle from the ATC for the entire trail. Will need a lot of big shelters to accomodate all the hikers in the congested areas. The "shelter rats" need tenters/hammockers or else there will be no room in the shelter, especially in Georgia. Although that would be kind of funny to film 100 hikers at a shelter fighting for a space.

refreeman
01-26-2008, 18:56

what a crock o' *hit :D

winger
01-26-2008, 20:20
Maybe you should be a bit more specific? I use the phrase quite frequently in response to others statements, but then its usually clear as to what I am responding to.

warraghiyagey
01-26-2008, 20:21
Maybe you should be a bit more specific? I use the phrase quite frequently in response to others statements, but then its usually clear as to what I am responding to.
It's OK. you missed the theme. It's actually quite funny and can be found in a number of threads.

Topcat
01-26-2008, 21:10
MS, our large group is always kept under 10 by choice on backpacking trips. I wouldnt worry though, we would never have dreamt of overcrowding you in a motel or hostel for multiple 0's.

sloopjonboswell
01-26-2008, 21:52
my opinion holds that one shouldnt set a tent up in a shelter. if you dont like shelters, wonderful, more room for dusk arriving hikers like myself. i would also like to point out that sleeping at an angle in a shelter, so your poor feet dont hang off the end, while you take up three spaces, is also rude. using speakerphone on your cell in the morning while other people are still asleep also takes the cake. i enjoy a great campsite as much as the next person, but sometimes, shelter stays are the money! go hiking!

winger
01-26-2008, 22:05
Its curious how everyone has an opinion about the proper etiquette regarding shelter use, yet I wonder why those same hikers just don't bypass them altogether and do what is the most logical solution and camp self sufficiently.

Lilred
01-26-2008, 22:27
That's an interesting theory. Is this just in Bob's area or is this a principle from the ATC for the entire trail. Will need a lot of big shelters to accomodate all the hikers in the congested areas. The "shelter rats" need tenters/hammockers or else there will be no room in the shelter, especially in Georgia. Although that would be kind of funny to film 100 hikers at a shelter fighting for a space.

I was under the impression that this was an ATC principle. Not just Bob's area. Mountaineer Falls, I believe, is the name of this shelter if my feeble memory serves me right. Wasn't there one near this spot previously that was burned down?

I don't like staying in shelters and wouldn't mind seeing most of them gone, however, being the hypocrite that I am, I do still use them when weather is bad. I do tent near them, only cause of the convenience they supply for cooking and gathering water.

Pedaling Fool
01-26-2008, 22:32
I was under the impression that this was an ATC principle. Not just Bob's area. Mountaineer Falls, I believe, is the name of this shelter if my feeble memory serves me right. Wasn't there one near this spot previously that was burned down?

I don't like staying in shelters and wouldn't mind seeing most of them gone, however, being the hypocrite that I am, I do still use them when weather is bad. I do tent near them, only cause of the convenience they supply for cooking and gathering water.
Yeah that's the shelter, I missed it last year, might check it out this year.

chiefdaddy
01-27-2008, 13:28
i think once its dark thirty you can safely assume no one else is going to show up at a shelter. not always the case i know but you should always have a personal shelter.

I have shown up at midnight to a lot of shelters.

dixicritter
01-27-2008, 17:21
what a crock o' *hit :D

It's OK. you missed the theme. It's actually quite funny and can be found in a number of threads.

Actually warraghiyagey... no it's not funny anymore. It is trolling and it needs not be encouraged.

warraghiyagey
01-27-2008, 17:34
Actually warraghiyagey... no it's not funny anymore. It is trolling and it needs not be encouraged.
OH. My B.:o
Sorry.http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/ad/hiding.gif
THink I need a good long hike.:rolleyes:

dixicritter
01-27-2008, 17:40

I think more folks need to be out hiking around here, cabin fever is setting in badly. Spring needs to get here soon. :)

warraghiyagey
01-27-2008, 17:41
I think more folks need to be out hiking around here, cabin fever is setting in badly. Spring needs to get here soon. :)
Yupperdoodle.:)

Kirby
01-27-2008, 18:42

Yupperdoodle.:)

Well....I leave to start the execution of my trip in 30 days:D.

Kirby

saimyoji
01-27-2008, 18:50
Did about 30 miles last weeekend, about 15 miles this weekend, and not once was it above 25*. :cool:

spittinpigeon
01-27-2008, 18:53
OH. My B.:o
Sorry.http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/ad/hiding.gif

Don't feel bad. These mods need you to act up. It fuels their authoritative behaviour. If they don't have anyone to bully around, then they can't play god. They should be thanking us.
Speaking of cabin fever, it's on both sides of the board. ;)

saimyoji
01-27-2008, 18:54
Oh, and I didn't stay in a shelter, didn't put my tent up in one nor saw any tents in shelters. Did see all kinds of crap in 'em though.

warraghiyagey
01-27-2008, 19:19
Well....I leave to start the execution of my trip in 30 days:D.

Kirby
You're going to kill your trip??
Bad Karma.:p

warraghiyagey
01-27-2008, 19:20
Don't feel bad. These mods need you to act up. It fuels their authoritative behaviour. If they don't have anyone to bully around, then they can't play god. They should be thanking us.
Tsk, tsk. Bad Beater. Sit. Stay.http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/sw022.gif

dixicritter
01-27-2008, 19:24

I'm not a mod.

peanuts
01-27-2008, 19:40
she's an administrator!!!

Kirby
01-27-2008, 20:00
You're going to kill your trip??
Bad Karma.:p

Yup, gonna walk all over it:p.

Kirby

spittinpigeon
01-27-2008, 20:52
I'm not a mod.
If it walks like a duck...

Lone Wolf
01-27-2008, 20:57

refreeman (boy) is mad cuz he can't handle the truth of SOBO being tougher than NOBO. wannabes feel that way

Lone Wolf
01-27-2008, 20:59

then you're a dick head duck

Alligator
01-27-2008, 21:09
refreeman (boy) is mad cuz he can't handle the truth of SOBO being tougher than NOBO. wannabes feel that wayHe's been following you around over that:datz:rolleyes:.

dixicritter
01-27-2008, 22:07

Can't you read? I'm an administrator, not a moderator. :D Little bit of a difference.

spittinpigeon
01-27-2008, 22:48
then you're a dick head duck

*yawn* I've trolled with the best. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you don't even make the top 100. Maybe next time! :D

spittinpigeon
01-27-2008, 22:49
Can't you read? I'm an administrator, not a moderator. :D Little bit of a difference.

Ya, that's great, but my remarks weren't just to you in particular, so don't flatter yourself.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-27-2008, 22:53
::: Dino gets out the popcorn :::

dessertrat
01-27-2008, 23:50
refreeman (boy) is mad cuz he can't handle the truth of SOBO being tougher than NOBO. wannabes feel that way

I've already told you, it's downhill SOBO. It is therefore easier.

dessertrat
01-27-2008, 23:54

I don''t think you'll have time for that popcorn, Dino.

warraghiyagey
01-27-2008, 23:59
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/ad/popcorn.gif

Panzer1
01-28-2008, 00:13

I just bought one. Haven't used it yet. The thinking is that when tucked under sleeping mat I still won't take more than my fair share of floor space and it will keep mosquito's off me when I sleep.

Panzer

Lone Wolf
01-28-2008, 00:22
*yawn* I've trolled with the best. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you don't even make the top 100. Maybe next time! :D

huh? what's being trolled? *yawn* i just woke up

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-28-2008, 07:50
LW, while you were snuggled up next to Gypsy the wayward pigeon spat at Dixi - I predict feathers will fly followed by a pigeon being handed his tail feathers by the petite, but quite formidable, Dixicritter when she gets up and gets her boys off to school.

dixicritter
01-28-2008, 09:21
LW, while you were snuggled up next to Gypsy the wayward pigeon spat at Dixi - I predict feathers will fly followed by a pigeon being handed his tail feathers by the petite, but quite formidable, Dixicritter when she gets up and gets her boys off to school.

Ya know what... I've decided not to waste my time or energy on him. He's already admitted to being a troll though and we all know that trolling is against the TOS of the site.

As for shelters... I just don't get the big deal. The ones I've seen didn't impress me. I'll stick to my hammock thank ya very much. :)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-28-2008, 09:31
I've seen the hammock Dixi made for herself - sweet. The homemade hammock she made Rock and his winter set-up is really sweet. Some of you got to see it at SORUCK!

TripleG
01-28-2008, 09:37
Hi

What is trolling ? or troll ?

I have seen this mentioned in many threads, but I am not sure what people mean when they write it. The only troll I know of is a tiny old man in kid's books ??

NICKTHEGREEK
01-28-2008, 09:53
Ya know what... I've decided not to waste my time or energy on him. He's already admitted to being a troll though and we all know that trolling is against the TOS of the site.

As for shelters... I just don't get the big deal. The ones I've seen didn't impress me. I'll stick to my hammock thank ya very much. :)
Smart lady, but possibly misguided about the hammock.;)

Pedaling Fool
01-28-2008, 10:11
Hi

What is trolling ? or troll ?...

I don't know what it is either, but I think it's when someone baits hits on a thread, sort of like a "fishing trip" - trolling like you do when fishing. The "trolls" want to see how many "fish" they can catch. Hell I don't know, just a guess.

warraghiyagey
01-28-2008, 10:45
Hi

What is trolling ? or troll ?

I have seen this mentioned in many threads, but I am not sure what people mean when they write it. The only troll I know of is a tiny old man in kid's books ??
My understanding is a troll is someone who's main purpose is to stir up trouble and not add anything of real value to a discussion. Generally a Troll is also blind to other people's sensibilities.
Dixi Rocks!!!!
hu-hu-snort-hu-hu-snort.

Dixi Rocks. Get it?? Just made that up.
I crack myself up.http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/laughing013.gif

dessertrat
01-28-2008, 10:51
Dixi Rocks. Get it?? Just made that up.
I crack myself up.http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/laughing013.gif

You slay you.

shelterbuilder
01-28-2008, 10:51

Now that I'm back from my overnight trip (yes, I stayed at a shelter; no, I didn't put my tent up in it), I'll jump into this.

There's a LOT of thought and planning that goes into the construction of a new shelter. Whatever else a shelter becomes, it is, IMHO, a resource management tool - it draws people in to that particular location and concentrates resource use/abuse in that one site. (Yes, dispersed LNT camping is ideal, but we all know that will NEVER happen as long as hikers go out in groups larger than 2.)

NPS/ATC guidelines mandate a lot of planning and interaction between all of the management/landowning groups before construction ever begins. A sanitary facility must be provided before the shelter is brought on-line. A reliable water source should be nearby. Site access from the footpath needs to be planned in a way that the area isn't trampled with bootleg trails. Even ADA accessability needs to be considered. And for as much attention as thru-hikers get, the majority of the planning focuses on the larger user-groups like weekend hikers, who will hike less than 30 miles per trip.

My two construction experiences (Eagle's Nest in '87-'88) and William Penn ('91-'93) were about providing user-accessability while conserving trail resources. Eagle's Nest was sited 0.3 miles off the trail, near 2 reasonably dependable water sources on the ridgetop; William Penn was sited part-way down the mountainside (near an existing spring and campsite) on an old charcoal hearth. Eagle's Nest replaced an aging, first-generation shelter at a worn-out site; William Penn was placed about halfway through a 28-mile shelterless stretch of trail.

IMHO, Eagle's Nest has seen more site-degradation than William Penn, and some of this is because it is on a flat section of the ridetop (although the best idea we had was to plant 1,500 evergreen seedlings to stop campsite sprawl and act as visual and sound barriers between different parts of the site). William Penn is on the only flat spot in the area, so if you want to tent, you have to go up on top, near the footpath. I don't know if building on a hillside is a new "policy" to discourage random tenting around the site, but it does work!

Every builder approaches every new project with a list of concerns that is unique to the area and the project - perhaps the "hillside approach" solved some problems better than any other method!

warraghiyagey
01-28-2008, 10:52
You slay you.
I can't help it.:o:o:o:p

SunnyWalker
01-31-2008, 16:20
Maybe we should all push for a section of the AT to be "shelterless"??!?
-SunnyWalker

rafe
01-31-2008, 17:02
-SunnyWalker

Or just walk one of those other long trails out west, where (as I understand it) there are no shelters. I sorta like the AT the way it is, warts and all. ;)

Kirby
01-31-2008, 17:32
-SunnyWalker

Yeah, we choose the section between Springer and Katahdin.

Kirby

88BlueGT
01-31-2008, 18:08
-SunnyWalker

But there are still many people who use shelters. I don't see why you would want to get rid of shelters? If yo don't like them, don't use them. Its very simple. I agree that there should be more campsites, DEFINITELY. But getting rid of shelters would just be stupid.

shelterbuilder
01-31-2008, 20:17
-SunnyWalker

As I said before, shelters are really just resource management tools. Without shelters, the enivironmental impact that occurs at these sites would be spread out over larger areas, and it is possible that much more of the trail would be damaged. Remember, the largest trail-user group is NOT thru-hikers - it's weekend hikers!

SunnyWalker
02-01-2008, 00:54
Good word Shelterbldr. I see that reasoning, its good. As far as putting up a tent IN a shelter-I could not do it. For me it would be pretty rude and selfish.

mweinstone
02-01-2008, 01:34
pike county is an ass. i love him.so does everyone.

mweinstone
02-01-2008, 01:36
i like to use shelters.i hate shelters. shelters suck. thank god for shelters.

mweinstone
02-01-2008, 01:40
if i could press a button and make all of civillization disapear,....i would. how bout yallski?

mweinstone
02-01-2008, 01:41
leaveing everyone naked in a warm feild.

Appalachian Tater
02-01-2008, 01:49
Matthewski, you seem like a nice drunk. If we ever meet, I'd like to buy you a couple of rounds.

DesertMTB
02-01-2008, 09:55
There is nothing inherently wrong with setting a tent up in a shelter. The problem is in not taking it out the instant someone else shows up, without being asked. A Tarptent works great as a bug bivy.

I agree 100 percent.

ki0eh
02-01-2008, 11:37
Or just walk one of those other long trails out west, where (as I understand it) there are no shelters.

Don't need to go far west - this footpath has exactly one shelter in over 300 miles, and that was built by a permitting landowner on its own initiative, not by the club: http://www.hike-mst.org/

sloopjonboswell
02-02-2008, 00:49
i love you too matthewski. im bursting with enthusiasm. basically, shelters are for the register, lazy low impact hikers, and sex parties. i mean, water sources.

rafe
02-02-2008, 00:58
Don't need to go far west - this footpath has exactly one shelter in over 300 miles, and that was built by a permitting landowner on its own initiative, not by the club: http://www.hike-mst.org/

Yeah, we have one of those in MA as well (a Mid-State trail.) I hiked it in sections last summer. Just under 100 miles overall, and I think maybe 4 shelters total. Here's the view from Muddy Pond Shelter, about 10 miles from the MA-NH border. This photo was taken during the "heat wave" in January 2007.

http://www.terrapinphoto.com/cpg143/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG_0441.jpg

Bare Bear
02-05-2008, 19:38
I have put up my tent where there was room. The one time I really worried it might offend I did not then finally gave in as the bugs were vicious. As soon as I did, three others put theirs up too and we all slept a lot better.

dragonfeet
02-05-2008, 23:51
what kind of nancy boy would put up a tent in a shelter

Programbo
02-06-2008, 00:18
Hmmm... is that legal? I know it is in bad taste, but anyone know if it is legal to do it?

Well on the ATC website it says....." Should I pitch a tent? You can usually pitch a tent near a shelter....." (Underlining mine)........Now being as so many people seem to want to take that Constitution thing literally, we shall apply the same reasoning here and see that it clearly states "NEAR a shelter"...That don't mean IN a shelter......But in all seriousness...What the hell is wrong with you people!?