PDA

View Full Version : Bought 3 shoes for the thru-hike.

wrongway_08
01-25-2008, 20:23
Just ordered these for the thru-hike, New Balance have been the only
shoes that fit right, so I ordered these 3 in.

The 1100 stlye (last one) is on back order, I should have it 2/19/2008. At least I hope :)

New Balance MO1200GT
http://store.nbdelaware.com/merchant2/graphics/00000002/mens/outdoor/MO1200GT.jpg

New Balance MT908ORhttp://store.nbdelaware.com/merchant2/graphics/00000002/mens/trail/MT908OR.jpg

New Balance MT1110GT

http://store.nbdelaware.com/merchant2/graphics/00000002/mens/trail/MT1110GT.jpg

maxNcathy
01-25-2008, 21:25
I chose NB 810
Great grip and weight and ventilated well the way i want them.

NB makes great shoes
Have a great hike

Montego
01-25-2008, 21:31
Just got a new pair of New Balance 476 Trail Runners. Light weight, looks like good slip resistent sole, wide size, and inexpensive. I've always used the 'ol heavy leather hiking boots, so having a light, low trail runner will be a new experience for me.

Lilred
01-25-2008, 21:32
3 shoes?? not gonna ask where that third foot is....................:eek::p

wrongway_08
01-25-2008, 21:40

Man, just fell off the chair! :D:D:D

river1
01-25-2008, 21:59
Look like nice light weight shoes, are they waterproof gortex type?? You must of seen someone wearing light weight trail shoes lately..:)

The 1100 stlye (last one) is on back order, I should have it 2/19/2008. At least I hope :)

New Balance MO1200GT
http://store.nbdelaware.com/merchant2/graphics/00000002/mens/outdoor/MO1200GT.jpg

New Balance MT908ORhttp://store.nbdelaware.com/merchant2/graphics/00000002/mens/trail/MT908OR.jpg

New Balance MT1110GT

http://store.nbdelaware.com/merchant2/graphics/00000002/mens/trail/MT1110GT.jpg

river1
01-25-2008, 22:03
Ditto that, what the hell is he doing with a third foot and three shoes??:p:p

wrongway_08
01-25-2008, 22:35
Ditto that, what the hell is he doing with a third foot and three shoes??:p:p

I was going to fix the screw up but........ oh well already stuck my foot in my mouth - I'll let you all have your fun :cool:

Blissful
01-25-2008, 22:38
Super, enjoy them!

wrongway_08
01-25-2008, 22:39
Look like nice light weight shoes, are they waterproof gortex type?? You must of seen someone wearing light weight trail shoes lately..:)

The boots and one pair of the shoes are Gortex, didnt want Gortex but these shoes fit really good.

The other pair of shoes has no Gortex.

Hmmm, cant remember where the idea came from....:p

Tinker
01-26-2008, 01:39
Just hope that your feet don't flatten out and expand. Mine do that if I go out for a week (very flat footed). I've heard from thruhikers that this can be an issue.

dessertrat
01-26-2008, 13:14

There's a reason they call him Wrongway.

Lilred
01-26-2008, 13:49
There's a reason they call him Wrongway.

LOLOL ahhh it all makes sense now....

88BlueGT
01-27-2008, 03:55
Just hope that your feet don't flatten out and expand. Mine do that if I go out for a week (very flat footed). I've heard from thruhikers that this can be an issue.

Care to elaborate on that a little bit?

Also, why wouldn't you want Gortex?

Wanderingson
01-27-2008, 04:08

Hey, Hey, Hey--I'm not even going to go there.

wrongway_08
01-27-2008, 09:12
Care to elaborate on that a little bit?

Also, why wouldn't you want Gortex?

If you dont get the right support for your arch, your feet will "flatten out" due to the stress of a constant load on them. Mine use to do that but now I either buy a pair of shoes with a high arch or I get the insert for the arch support.

Gortex does okay in the spring and summer but sucks in the winter time. Your feet get wet, frozen and then the dang shoes take forever to dry out (even by the fire). The cold seems to make the gortex useless. Traps everything in and does not allow the moisture out.

I have been using my regular (non-Gortex) sneakers around the yard and doing shorter hikes. They get wet (a little faster then the Gortex) and cold like the Gortex but dry out much faster.

Lilred
01-27-2008, 11:34
If you dont get the right support for your arch, your feet will "flatten out" due to the stress of a constant load on them. Mine use to do that but now I either buy a pair of shoes with a high arch or I get the insert for the arch support.

Gortex does okay in the spring and summer but sucks in the winter time. Your feet get wet, frozen and then the dang shoes take forever to dry out (even by the fire). The cold seems to make the gortex useless. Traps everything in and does not allow the moisture out.

I have been using my regular (non-Gortex) sneakers around the yard and doing shorter hikes. They get wet (a little faster then the Gortex) and cold like the Gortex but dry out much faster.

~~picturing wrong way doing short little hikes around his yard with three feet......;):D

Furlough
01-27-2008, 12:59
I was going to fix the screw up but........ oh well already stuck my foot in my mouth - I'll let you all have your fun :cool:

Would that be Foot 1, 2 or 3??:)

wrongway_08
01-27-2008, 14:49
~~picturing wrong way doing short little hikes around his yard with three feet......;):D

Would that be Foot 1, 2 or 3??:)

Thats why I love you all, no matter how bad my day gets, I can come here and laugh my as$ off :) !

wrongway_08
02-04-2008, 19:26
Hmmm, seems I ordered 2 pairs of the MO1200GT by mistake ............ oh well, at least they are comfy. Wont need to buy more shoes for the hike, these 4 pairs should cover the 2,174 miles :)

doggiebag
02-04-2008, 19:34
Hmmm, seems I ordered 2 pairs of the MO1200GT by mistake ............ oh well, at least they are comfy. Wont need to buy more shoes for the hike, these 4 pairs should cover the 2,174 miles :)
Man you are one confident dude :D ... I really hope you do get to wear out all those shoes! What if you only wear down one pair? You'll have 3 pairs at home to mock you ... mock mock mock - you'll have to burn them like you did the last pair. Or wear them around your neck like a necklace of shame :eek::eek::eek:! That's 3 eeks for three pairs.

wrongway_08
02-04-2008, 19:39
HHmmm.... your shoes seem to last a long time, being that you cant remember what week the hikes are . .. . :) ;)

doggiebag
02-04-2008, 19:44
HHmmm.... your shoes seem to last a long time, being that you cant remember what week the hikes are . .. . :) ;)
Sorry my federal punching bag ... I'm on my third pair of Asolos since 03/07 :D:D:D! Three grins for 3 pairs.

wrongway_08
02-04-2008, 19:50
Hey man, it only took me 3 backpacking trips to wear out my last pair :sun ........ okay, maybe the melting them in the fire had something to do with that.....:o

fonsie
02-04-2008, 19:52
Yea these Asolo's are great Doggiebag. 2 thumbs up, hey you can always carry an extra pair. So when one pair gets wet you can hang the wet pair from your pack to dry and weir the dry the pair.

doggiebag
02-04-2008, 19:57
Yea these Asolo's are great Doggiebag. 2 thumbs up, hey you can always carry an extra pair. So when one pair gets wet you can hang the wet pair from your pack to dry and weir the dry the pair.
Actually Fonsie ... you treat the leather with snowseal to prevent them from getting soaked to begin with. The second pair you can wear over your gloves to act as field-expedient mittens or protection for your hands just in case you have to fight off wolverines.

Jack Tarlin
02-04-2008, 20:01
As others have pointed out, many people discover that from constant pounding, their feet have grown quite a bit after just several hundred miles.

What this means is that when your first pair of shoes is about to give out, and you have that already-purchased, already broken-in replacement pair sent to you somewhere out there, you may well discover that you end up with a pair of shoes that doesn't remotely fit, and furthermore, can't be returned, either.

Because of this, most folks buy their replacement shoes as needed while en route, and don't get them beforehand.

Best bootfitters I know of out there:

*Winton Porter at Neels Gap
*Wayne at Bluff Mountain Outfitters in Hot Springs
*Tom or Jeff at Mount Rogers Outfitters, Damascus
*Laura Wright at The Outfitter at Harpers Ferry
*The folks at the Mountain Goat, Manchester Center VT
*Dave at Eastern Mountain Sports, West Lebanon NH

doggiebag
02-04-2008, 20:16
Looks like you have the shoe issue covered Wrongway ... unless your hobbit feet keep growing. Do you want to test that video file transfer thing we were talking about in NY? Where you'd upload the file into a site and I could download it so I can use your segments with my footage? Vid files are sometimes too big to transfer over email. I'd love to get that segment you took of everyone crossing the bridge before Little Dam Lake.

wrongway_08
02-04-2008, 20:20
Oh yea, let me try to upload it to photo bucket and see if that works for you, if not I can always stop by and let you down load the card to your computer.

doggiebag
02-04-2008, 20:22
My offer still stands with your trailjournals - I promise to project you in a positve light ... most of the time.

Amphibious D
02-04-2008, 20:36
Hey wrongway...i ordered me a pair of the NB 908's. Should get them on the 7th. How do you like them? I plan on using them on my thru-hike.

Marta
02-04-2008, 20:53
As others have pointed out, many people discover that from constant pounding, their feet have grown quite a bit after just several hundred miles.

At the SoRuck, Ginny Owen mentioned that her feet are still growing with every hike. :rolleyes:

wrongway_08
02-04-2008, 20:57
I like them, they fit great and have a sturdy sole. Plenty of arch support for me and they felt broken-in from day one.

I only tie them up to the next-to-last lace hole. They dig in to my foot if I tie them all the way up.

The shoes feel good on dry rock, wet dirt, dry dirt, roots and gravel. I have not used them on wet rock yet but from how they have performed so far, thinking they will be fine.

I usually toss gel inserts in all my shoes. This has been the first pair that I have not put the inserts in and the shoes feel comfy. I might try the extra thin gel inserts over the stock ones, just to help on those long milage days.

JAK
02-04-2008, 21:18

New Balance MO1200GT

New Balance MT1110GT

http://store.nbdelaware.com/merchant2/graphics/00000002/mens/trail/MT1110GT.jpgIf they work out order three more for the other foot.:banana

Cindy from Indy
02-05-2008, 08:32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_style/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=523562#post523562)

At the SoRuck, Ginny Owen mentioned that her feet are still growing with every hike. :rolleyes:
So, I understand about the feet flattening out, swelling and growing while hiking, but, do don't they return to normal after the hike????

Cindy from Indy
02-05-2008, 08:34
What do you think of the idea of wearing trail shoes to Pennsylvania, then switching over to the hiking boots for the rocks and hard climbing??:sun

Good Idea? Bad Idea? Anybody care??? lol

wrongway_08
02-05-2008, 09:01
I dont see any problems wearing trail runners on the A.T., as long as they fit right and your foot is supported well.

I usually wear boots but lately I have been hiking in my trail runners and besides the weight difference (runners are lighter of course), no difference.

As long as the soles of your shoes are stiff, the rocks wont be a problem either. I was suprized at how well the soles on my New Balance 908's handled them.

Only advantage I can see for boots is in cold weather - keep your feet warmer.

wrongway_08
02-05-2008, 17:55
I just starting wearing the MO1200GT boots, they are higher then my current set (the ones I melted), no seams on the inside for your feet to rub against and are 1 ounce lighter then the old set (Danners - mid cut).

The shoes are not bottom heavy like the Danners were. Almost feels like I am wearing sneakers, they are so well balanced.

MO1200GT Boots:
Weight of each boot 1lb 4.4 oz. or 20.40oz each
Weight of pair: 2lb 8.8oz or 40.80oz

MT908OR sneakers:
Weight of each sneaker - 11.55 oz
Weight of pair: 1lb 7.10oz or 23.10oz