PDA

View Full Version : socks stretching?!

SC Ryan
01-26-2008, 11:44
They fit fine the first day or so, but inevitably stretch out and get loose and bunch up after a while. I wear a size 10 1/2 boot, so I usually get large socks (Columbia merino wool, Smartwool) but they get too big between washings. Medium socks are too small at first then just right after about a day. Any body else suffer from this crippling delimma?:datz:-?:p

SC Ryan
01-26-2008, 11:46
* Anybody:rolleyes:

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-26-2008, 12:04
Are you putting them in the dryer? If so, the heat is probably trashing the spandex. Drip them dry and they will last longer. Eventually, your body oils will erode the spandex and you have to replace them.

Tipi Walter
01-26-2008, 12:08
I've notice with the Smartwool Mountaineer(thickest)that if I went ahead and bought the size recommended for my shoe size they'd be way too big, so I opt for the smaller size(5-9??), though sometimes they aren't easy to find.

Tinker
01-26-2008, 13:07
I usually buy my socks a tad on the small size. I'm between large and XL, so I buy large, and in most cases, it works for me. I think I may wear out the toes and heels a bit faster, but there's no bunching up. I used to by XL socks, but got bunching which led to blisters.

Terry7
01-26-2008, 13:50
They only sox I hike in are "Darn Tough" brand.

Mother's Finest
01-26-2008, 14:36
try using an acrylic sock, Thorlo or Feetures are two very good brands. I have never heard of the problem you are talking about happening with Smartwool...usually that occurs with cotton socks.

peace
mf

mudhead
01-26-2008, 20:55
You could also try another brand that breaks the sizes at a different line. If that makes sense.

Ignore the shoe size and try them puppies on in the store. (The only place that refused me a try on was Dick's.) But I have paid extra for that pair, if they did fit... Fair to me. (Take non smelly feet with you!)

Turtle2
01-26-2008, 21:07
Bridgedales work best for me. I have a pair with over 1500 miles on them and they still have their elasticity and no holes or worn spots. My Smartwools with only 300 miles are wearing thin at the bottom of the heel and ball of the foot. I guess what I am saying is to try Bridgedales and see if their elastic will resist stretching. Sierra Trading Post usually has some on sale for $5.95 or 7.95. Good luck

Blissful
01-26-2008, 21:29
I don't like Smartwool socks. My son got holes in his with little use. I like Bridgedale too, excellent socks. And I like Ultimax (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=939500&memberId=12500226&storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1) by Wigwam. I used these kind of socks for half my hike last year (got different verisions of them at NOC and at Hot Springs, then another pair up north). They went in the wash and dryer, no problem.

Skidsteer
01-26-2008, 22:53
As FD said, don't put them in the dryer.

margo
01-28-2008, 17:54
I wear smartwool socks and have big feet for a gal but I get medium smartwools. If they are snug, or at least not loose, then the material will not bunch when I put boots on.

I have some thinner smartwool socks that are large but I reserve them for when I don't want tight material on my feet, like when lounging in bed.