PDA

View Full Version : Well, this is is, my first practive hang in the homemade hammock

Bulldawg
01-26-2008, 16:36
OK, I finally got outside today with my first homemade hammock. Just some specs first, so you all know. I made it with 60" 1.9 ripstop. Once I hemmed it I didn't measure, but I'm confident of 57-58" width. I used 10 feet in length and after hems I am guessing around 9'10" or so long. I whipped it using zip ties. I am 5'11" and weigh around 230-235.

I went out and hung this thing in the woods behind the house. I tied it with what to my newbie eyes looked like a good bit of sag. I eased in her, she held. But as I laid there I realized my legs were a bit higher than my head. Now, I am thinking that over the course of a night, that not make for a good nights sleep. It wasn't too awfully tight on my shoulders, but I could definitely tell it was there. I tried to move my head up in the hammock to get my feet lower, but my head was almost at the whipping anyway (maybe 10"-12"). I turned over on my side (the way I sleep most of the time anyway) and things weren't any better.

I am thinking maybe I didn't hang it with enough sag from the get go. Now I am leaning towards a ridge line to make sure I hang with the right sag every time. What do you guys think? How many tries did it take most of you to create a comfortable hang? Is there anything any of you guys can suggest?

Let me say this though. Even with all this, the 30 minutes or so I laid there I can already tell this method is going to be much more comfortable than sleeping on the ground. I guess I just need some practice. Thanks in advance for all the help.

Skidsteer
01-26-2008, 17:26
If you plan to use the zip ties as a permanent whip, make sure they are the black, U.V. resistant zip ties. The white ones disintegrate much faster.

warraghiyagey
01-26-2008, 17:31
You have a picture of it hanging? I'm not a hammocker but it would be cool to see one someone made themselves.:)

Bulldawg
01-26-2008, 17:31
They are, thank you very much for that input though.

Bulldawg
01-26-2008, 17:32
You have a picture of it hanging? I'm not a hammocker but it would be cool to see one someone made themselves.:)

No, I meant to get one, but simply forgot. If I don't hike tomorrow I am going to hang it again and will try to remember to take a picture.

warraghiyagey
01-26-2008, 17:34
No, I meant to get one, but simply forgot. If I don't hike tomorrow I am going to hang it again and will try to remember to take a picture.
Cool.:sun:sun