PDA

View Full Version : Easiest 100 miles

10-K
01-26-2008, 17:14
With all the talk about the hardest 100 miles of trail I was wondering where the easiest 100 miles is? Is there a 100 mile stretch that doesn't have a "strenuous" section?

Thomas

Footslogger
01-26-2008, 17:15
Somewhere in Virginia ...

'Slogger

map man
01-26-2008, 17:31
The trail in West Virginia, Maryland and southern Pennsylvania (from the southern border through the Cumberland Valley) has less severe ups and downs than just about anywhere else on the trail and the worst of the rocks, from what I hear, don't come until you get to the rest of Pennsylvania. That stretch I'm describing is about 128 miles long. But even that section will have some "strenuous" climbs -- just not as many.

Lone Wolf
01-26-2008, 17:32
SNP of course

Pedaling Fool
01-26-2008, 18:07
SNP of course
Copy that.

Kirby
01-26-2008, 18:27
I thought there were mountains in SNP?

Kirby

Pedaling Fool
01-26-2008, 18:30

Kirby
I guess you can call them mountains, but they are graded really well and nothing too steep. SNP is about 100 miles in lenght, there are other sections that are flat, but not at this lenght. Then there are other areas that have about the same elevation gain as SNP, but with a lot of rocks/roots/mud to contend with. That's why SNP gets my vote.

Tin Man
01-26-2008, 18:30
The 100 miles we walk between the fridge, the bathroom, and the cyber trail on the puter.

Lone Wolf
01-26-2008, 18:32

Kirby

nobody said there weren't mountains there

refreeman
01-26-2008, 18:55
SNP of course

what a crock o' *hit :D

Jack Tarlin
01-27-2008, 16:19
There are stretches of the Trail that are easier than Shenandoah National Park, but that wasn't the question. The longest "easy" 100-mile stretch of the Trail is certainly SNP, as Wolf and several others have pointed out.

After that, Harpers Ferry to Boiling Springs is pretty mild; so are New Jersey and New York; so are Connecticut/Massachusetts.

dessertrat
01-27-2008, 16:20
What about Maryland through Front Royal into SNP?

Jack Tarlin
01-27-2008, 16:22
Nope. Parts of Northern Virginia (the famous "roller coaster" section for example) are actually quite strenuous for many folks. In fact, for most folks, this is about the toughest part of Virginia.

Bearpaw
01-27-2008, 16:30
SNP leaped to my mind also. Very mellow grades, and they feel almost level after 850 of AT. Combine this with no need to carry more than a day or two worth of food due to campstores and waysides, and it is an easy walk in the park, quite literally.

Lion King
01-27-2008, 17:01
Port CLinton to DWG.:D

rafe
01-27-2008, 17:02
For my money, it's Pennsylvania. Typical hike: 700 feet up, 10 miles of dead flat, 700 back down. Rinse and repeat.

Bearpaw
01-27-2008, 17:47
For my money, it's Pennsylvania. Typical hike: 700 feet up, 10 miles of dead flat, 700 back down. Rinse and repeat.

You forgot: Ibuprofen with breakfast, walk up rocks, ibuprofen with morning snack, walk along rocks, ibu w/lunch, walk gingerly down rocky slope. Bruise and repeat.

saimyoji
01-27-2008, 18:07
Eastern PA. No contest.

travis71
03-11-2008, 15:57
How "crowded" is the SNP? I am a few hours away & was considering a fall trip there with a friend.

wilconow
03-11-2008, 16:11
How "crowded" is the SNP? I am a few hours away & was considering a fall trip there with a friend.

The Southern Section is less crowded than the rest, since it is further away from DC. Actually most of the northern section isn't too bad either, since there aren't as many grand overlooks there. It's the Central section, especially around Big Meadows where there are loads of people. You have a bunch of campgrounds, big overlooks with drive up parking, the lodge, etc.

clured
03-11-2008, 16:18

Agreed. Harper's Ferry to Delaware Water Gap, easiest piece (and one of my favorites; don't know why everyone always knocks PA).

Yahtzee
03-11-2008, 16:47
Eastern PA. No contest.

Agreed. From the border of Pa to Duncannon is most certainly the easiest section to hike.

I wouldn't even put SNP next. To my money, Mass (northbound) is also easier. Add on the last 15 of Connecticut and you've got a cakewalk 100.

But then, I have strong feelings about the trail in SNP. Damn thing seems tilted at an angle the whole way thru. Puts too much pressure on the ankles. So, it is not so easy for me.

DavidNH
03-11-2008, 17:28
My number one suggestion for you..

Do Shanendoah National Park. Trail is graded, smooth, and the woods there are gorgeous. There are beautifully laid out tent sites near each shelter and you can do a 20 mile day easy. You can also see a fair amount of wildlife.

Beyond SNP, consider Maryland. Also the first 30-40 miles of PA are pretty easy. I wouldn't redo Eastern PA (Duncanon eastward) for all the chocolate in Switzerland. Actually, I have no desire to see Duncannon again.

DavidNH

rafe
03-11-2008, 18:18
Agreed. Harper's Ferry to Delaware Water Gap, easiest piece (and one of my favorites; don't know why everyone always knocks PA).

I've got strong ankles from skiing -- that might be why the rocks bother me less than they do most folks. I'm not saying PA is the most beautiful piece of AT by any stretch, but I found it pretty easy, all things considered.

Bare Bear
03-11-2008, 18:23
SNP and you get to carry less weight as you hit a food stand three times a day.
In re The Roller Coaster....at least at the end you get Bears Den! Awesome place and great feed from Queen in 06

swift
03-11-2008, 18:28
There are so many ways to answer this question. In my case the most effortless 100 miles were the last 100 before Katadhin for physical reasons as well as pyschological. Those miles flew, i never felt tired or discouraged or out of energy.

clured
03-11-2008, 18:40
I've got strong ankles from skiing -- that might be why the rocks bother me less than they do most folks. I'm not saying PA is the most beautiful piece of AT by any stretch, but I found it pretty easy, all things considered.

Yeah, I guess it's not beautiful, but I feel like concerns like that pretty much melt away after 2-300 miles on a thru-hike. How many vistas of heavily wooded mountains can you see before they lose their punch? PA is great because its flat, easy, fast, and has lots of trail-side town food.

rafe
03-11-2008, 18:54
Yeah, I guess it's not beautiful, but I feel like concerns like that pretty much melt away after 2-300 miles on a thru-hike. How many vistas of heavily wooded mountains can you see before they lose their punch? PA is great because its flat, easy, fast, and has lots of trail-side town food.

I think for views, one might be better off on the CDT and PCT. The AT has its charms but there's just an awful lot of that long green tunnel. And I agree -- there has to be something more than views to keep ya happy on a long-distance hike. (One of the several things I had to learn along the way...)

rafe
03-11-2008, 18:55
There are so many ways to answer this question. In my case the most effortless 100 miles were the last 100 before Katadhin for physical reasons as well as pyschological. Those miles flew, i never felt tired or discouraged or out of energy.

But the 100-mile is just plain beautiful. Not too hard, lots of varied terrain. And I just love walking along lake shores and streams.

Blissful
03-11-2008, 19:42

Yeah, it was real nice. I didn't like the Chairback range much, but did a 20 through there, so was beat. But nothing like the last 100 miles of the trail.

quasarr
03-12-2008, 13:19

I was in the southern part for 4 days last week and we saw less than 10 people. For two days we didn't see anyone! :eek: Of course it was during the week, and early march is the off season.