PDA

View Full Version : Baltimore Jack as Inspiration!!!

Almost There
01-26-2008, 17:38
Alright, I know that there alot of us that still smoke, and many of us have tried quitting numerous times in the past. Now seeing as Jack has managed to quit (and buddy I believe you've done it for good seeing as you've made it over 100 days!) I have decided to give it a go again once and for all, and I wanted to see if anyone here on WB wants to give it a go as well at the same time. What I am thinking is starting on Monday or February 1st. Setting a date is a big part of success and so I am thinking Monday because work is a great distraction for those first 72 hours. Who needs those stupid nonsmoker forums when we got WB. We can encourage each other to stay quit and use the trail as a focus for why we are quitting. I just know I want to be hiking 30 years from now, and the thought of COPD, Emphysema, or Cancer just isn't something I want to deal with.

Now Orangebug has told me many times that the best way to do it is cold turkey as it gets the nicotine out of your system faster than anything, and that it also has the highest success rate. So I will be going cold turkey, although to each his own.

So the call goes out to see if anyone else wants to join me in making our lives on the trail better as well as our over all health. On the day we settle on I'll start a thread in the health section and whenever you're having a rough time, just go there and talk it out. I think together some more of us maybe can get this habit kicked and gone, heck if Jack can give it up, then why can't more of us?

Also I know this isn't straight forward, but please don't post anything mean spirited, try to stay positive or humorous. Non-smokers feel free to chime in as well, we need all of the encouragement we can get!

Lone Wolf
01-26-2008, 17:41
start today. right now. it's the only way. monday schmonday

warraghiyagey
01-26-2008, 17:42
[quote=Almost There;513256]Also I know this isn't straight forward, but please don't post anything mean spirited, try to stay positive or humorous. [quote]
Shut up!!
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/laughing013.gif

Smile
01-26-2008, 17:45
You can do it! :)

warraghiyagey
01-26-2008, 17:45
You can do it! :)
Smile, that avatar is really starting to freak me out.:D

Almost There
01-26-2008, 17:51

Yeah I thought about it, but I'm going with a doctor's advice to set a date, and seeing as I don't smoke during the day in a work week, it might be easier to get over that first three day hurdle. So I'm aiming for Monday, no more cancer sticks!!!

Lone Wolf
01-26-2008, 17:54
any doctor worth a **** would tell you to stop immediately. my opinion of course

warraghiyagey
01-26-2008, 17:55
My first time on the trail ('06) there was talk of people who started smoking on the trail. What a ridiculous concept I thought 6 weeks before I started smoking (for the first time in my 40 yr life).
So now I also have to figure out how to stop. A really nasty flue the last week and a half helped tremendously. Not that I'm suggesting to seek out a nasty flue bug, I'm just saying I've gone from about a pack a day down to about a cigarette a day in the last week and a half.

Footslogger
01-26-2008, 17:55
A story ...

Many years ago I was reading my daughter (now 31 years old) a bedtime story and tucking her in. As I stood up to leave the room she said ..."Daddy, when are you going to quit smoking ??" ...I paused and then explained to her that I wanted to quit but that I was under a lot of stress and cigarettes were my way to deal with it. She had a puzzled look on her face so I asked her why it was so important to her that I quit smoking. She looked straight in my eyes and said ..."because I want to have a Daddy when I grow up".

Call it what you want ...karma, timing, or maybe just her choice of words -- but I gave her a kiss on the cheek, reached in my pocket and pulled out a half pack of smokes and threw them away. I've never touched another cigarette.

True story. I needed a good reason and my daughter gave it to me. I probably owe her my life.

'Slogger

warraghiyagey
01-26-2008, 17:57
Great story 'Slog. :sun:sun:sun

Almost There
01-26-2008, 17:59
any doctor worth a **** would tell you to stop immediately. my opinion of course

Orangebug and I have talked some about this many times and the reason why is so that I can clean out my car, and wash most of my jackets, etc. The idea is to get rid of as many triggers as I can before quitting. The goal isn't to quit today only to start up in a week again, the goal is to do what is necessary in order to quit for good!!! That being said, I know you mean well and want me to be successful in this, so I appreciate what you are saying man!

Almost There
01-26-2008, 18:02
My first time on the trail ('06) there was talk of people who started smoking on the trail. What a ridiculous concept I thought 6 weeks before I started smoking (for the first time in my 40 yr life).
So now I also have to figure out how to stop. A really nasty flue the last week and a half helped tremendously. Not that I'm suggesting to seek out a nasty flue bug, I'm just saying I've gone from about a pack a day down to about a cigarette a day in the last week and a half.

Quit!!! Don't do it anymore, I have done what you are doing the last three times I tried to quit, and eventually a cigarette turned to 3 then to 5, and finally I was smoking like I had before. Trust me man, it will happen, I kick myself when I think about the decision to just have one after going almost a month the last time I tried to quit!!! If you are just having one a day, you don't need them at all! I know you can do it!

Lone Wolf
01-26-2008, 18:05
orangebug isn't an oncologist. quit now! **** triggers or other psychobabble. you either smoke or you do not smoke.

Almost There
01-26-2008, 18:07
orangebug isn't an oncologist. quit now! **** triggers or other psychobabble. you either smoke or you do not smoke.

Tell you what if I am still smoking when I see you again, I owe you a case of PBR!!! Hopefully the thought of buying you cheap beer will keep me honest!!!:D

Lone Wolf
01-26-2008, 18:09

Critterman
01-26-2008, 18:12
Setting a quit date is fine but if you get the idea to quit and fired up to do it right freaking NOW, then do it. I done it both ways and either works if you have the right frame of mind.

Tin Man
01-26-2008, 18:14
Quit today or Monday, makes not difference, just quit.

Um, are you wearing a sign? Something like: "Give me space, I just quit smoking!"

Almost There
01-26-2008, 18:17
The reason why I am setting Monday is because I haven't quite gotten the wife over the fence to quit, by starting on Monday, I am at work all day long, then I coach after school so I don't get home till later, it keeps me from biting her head off and fighting. After the first week, I still have those mood shifts but they're not as bad. If I quit right now, guaranteed we will fight tomorrow as I will be with her all day when she smokes. I need that around me as little as possible for that first three day period. I have quit three times now, and this has been the most successful method for me getting past the first week. After that I just gotta say no when thinking about just having "one" cigarette.

Distractions work best for me early on, and on this weekend distractions are at a minimum! If I have said I'm gonna do it, I'm gonna do it!!!

Pacific Tortuga
01-26-2008, 18:18
L. Wolf is right, any Dr. should tell their patient that no matter what they do for them, the smoking will screw up their work and kill ya, stop puffing first.

Tin Man
01-26-2008, 18:20
Cool. It's a go (or quit) for Monday. Stick with it. We are rooting for you.

Lilred
01-26-2008, 18:22
The patch worked for me. The minute I put it on, I didn't even think about smoking. No cravings, no thoughts, no smoke in my lungs. After one and a half weeks, I got up one morning and forgot to put one on. The thought of smoking never entered my mind once all day. That was it. Haven't had a craving since and that was over eight years ago.

Funny, about two years later I was driving down the road and reached across the seat to grab my smokes, where I always kept them while I drove. I thought, 'what the **** was that about?' and laughed myself silly. I didn't have a craving, just on auto pilot, very weird.

I had quit twice before, each time I got pregnant, but resumed shortly after that. DUMB! Know in your heart if you pick up that first cig, it's over. Don't do it. Drive by the idiots that stand outside in the freezing cold to smoke, and be thankful it's not you.

Roland
01-26-2008, 18:24
~Drive by the idiots that stand outside in the freezing cold to smoke, and be thankful it's not you.

Spoken like a true, reformed smoker! Congratulations, you made it.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-26-2008, 18:43
::: Dino seen quaking at thought of Baltimore Jack as a role model :D :::

Lilred
01-26-2008, 18:44
Spoken like a true, reformed smoker! Congratulations, you made it.

Don't know if this is a jab at me or not. I'm not a snob about it. My smoking friends are more than welcome to light up in my house, car, whatever. I don't care. Smoke in shelters, I don't care. But ya gotta wonder at folks that would withstand freezing temps to be controlled by a cigarette. Maybe it's my independent spirit. I was controlled by an ex husband, nothing will have control of me now. Not a husband, not a cigarette, not the naysayers that say I 'shouldn't' hike alone cause I'm a woman.

Lone Wolf
01-26-2008, 18:45
[QUOTE=Almost There;513298]The reason why I am setting Monday is because I haven't quite gotten the wife over the fence to quit, by starting on Monday, I am at work all day long, then I coach after school so I don't get home till later, it keeps me from biting her head off and fighting. After the first week, I still have those mood shifts but they're not as bad. If I quit right now, guaranteed we will fight tomorrow as I will be with her all day when she smokes. I need that around me as little as possible for that first three day period. I have quit three times now, and this has been the most successful method for me getting past the first week. After that I just gotta say no when thinking about just having "one" cigarette.

warraghiyagey
01-26-2008, 18:49
I was controlled by an ex husband, nothing will have control of me now. Not a husband, not a cigarette, not the naysayers that say I 'shouldn't' hike alone cause I'm a woman.
As well said as I've seen in two years on this site.http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/basic/thumbsup.gif

refreeman
01-26-2008, 18:54

what a crock o' *hit :D

Kirby
01-26-2008, 18:56

I'm sensing a pattern here.

Kirby

Lone Wolf
01-26-2008, 18:58
what pattern?

OregonHiker
01-26-2008, 18:58
I was controlled by an ex husband, nothing will have control of me now. Not a husband, not a cigarette, not the naysayers that say I 'shouldn't' hike alone cause I'm a woman.

Good for you!

Lone Wolf
01-26-2008, 19:00

Kirby

yeah.refreeman is being a girl

Lion King
01-26-2008, 19:29
Apocalypse (Greek (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_language): Ἀποκάλυψις -translit. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transliteration) apoca'lipsis, meaning literally: the lifting of the veil), is a term applied to the disclosure to certain privileged persons of something hidden from the majority of humankind. Today the term is often used to mean "End of planet Earth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/End_of_planet_Earth)", which may be a shortening of the phrase apokalupsis eschaton which literally means "revelation at the end of the æon, or age".

:D

Montego
01-26-2008, 19:48

Kirby

You seeing that too, huh?

well, "what a crock o' *hit :D"

:D

A-Train
01-26-2008, 20:21
I don't wanna quit. I love smoking. I smoke when I want one, not controlled by them. Usually only when I'm drinking though, or at hiker events.:)

If I have too many I get grossed out and stop for awhile. I won't get addicted as I've been a casual smoker for 6+ years. Didn't have any cigs on the AT or PCT, but I lit one up as soon as I got to Manning Park, Canada!

refreeman
01-26-2008, 21:05
yeah.refreeman is being a girl

Roland
01-26-2008, 21:10
Don't know if this is a jab at me or not. ~

A jab? Nothing could be further from the truth. I was offering my congratulations, for quitting.

Because of the way you described smokers huddled outside in the cold, I know you'll never go back.

Almost There
01-26-2008, 21:11
I don't wanna quit. I love smoking. I smoke when I want one, not controlled by them. Usually only when I'm drinking though, or at hiker events.:)

If I have too many I get grossed out and stop for awhile. I won't get addicted as I've been a casual smoker for 6+ years. Didn't have any cigs on the AT or PCT, but I lit one up as soon as I got to Manning Park, Canada!

Yep, I used to tell myself that too, ten years ago, only smoke when I drink never more than 5 in a day, did that for the first 5 years I smoked, then the real world came crashing down and I've been up to a pack and a half a day in the past. Today I'm less than half a pack a day max, and during the week less than 5 cigs a day, but I know it's time to quit, no point in continuing. That being said I hope you're right A-Train, maybe you are, but my grandfather who is 83, never smoked much, quit in his thirties and got diagnosed with Emphysema last year. Granted he'll probably be dead before it gets bad, but still, makes you wince when you think about it.

Wolf, you know I love ya'!:D

I'm really not in that bad a shape I work out 4-6 days a week(just got back from lifting and had to get my WB fix), but the point is I wanna lose weight and I just think about how much easier certain things would be with a full lung capacity.

I appreciate some of your positive attitudes! And know that those giving me a hard time about doing it today, still would be happy for me if three months from today I'm going strong.

That being said, I know there are others of you still smoking out there, too many people I've seen puffing on the trail to know that everyone here isn't smoke-free, so who else is gonna join me in getting healthier for the trail...and life?

dessertrat
01-26-2008, 22:42

I quit, and I set a date. My doctor said that was fine. I've been quit for more than three months now after twenty years on 'em. My doctor still ain't worth a ****, but that's not why.

Lilred
01-26-2008, 22:47
As well said as I've seen in two years on this site.http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/basic/thumbsup.gif

Thanks, and where do I find all these cool smilies???

A jab? Nothing could be further from the truth. I was offering my congratulations, for quitting.

Because of the way you described smokers huddled outside in the cold, I know you'll never go back.

That's cool. I wasn't sure, I know how some quitters get all Nazi on other smokers and I didn't want people to think that's what I meant.

warraghiyagey
01-26-2008, 22:49
Thanks, and where do I find all these cool smilies???

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys-ad-007.php
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/ad/wootrock.gif

Almost There
01-26-2008, 23:11
Lilred, I don't think anyone thought you were going Nazi, but I do know what you mean, they're almost as bad as some people who have never smoked who simply don't get how hard it is to quit. Monday is the date!!! I know some of you will keep me honest!!! My wife asked why I told anyone I was quitting, and I said it's because that's one of the ways I get motivated.

Lilred
01-26-2008, 23:58
I'm rootin for ya, I once used swizle sticks, the kind you put in cocktails to stir, to quit smoking, kept my hands and mouth busy.

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/ad/flowers.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org) Thanks Warraghiyagey

superman
01-27-2008, 00:26
I smoked from one to three packs a day for 35 years. My sons were in high school and I gave them my lecture about not using drugs. One of them pointed out that I was doing drugs by smoking cigarettes. I checked it out and there is all kinds of junk in cigarette smoke. So if I was going to ask them to not use drugs I had to walk the walk...not just talk the talk. I used the nicoderm 6-2-2 program and it was still tough. My last smoke was last 6 December 12 years ago. In hind sight was it worth it...hell yeah. My sons didn't get into drugs and I've been healthier for quitting. There is no down side.

Almost There
01-27-2008, 00:40
Well we'll see if anyone decides to jump on the wagon with me, but the positive support is nice so far, thanks all!

dessertrat
01-27-2008, 02:29
I smoked from one to three packs a day for 35 years. My sons were in high school and I gave them my lecture about not using drugs. One of them pointed out that I was doing drugs by smoking cigarettes. I checked it out and there is all kinds of junk in cigarette smoke. So if I was going to ask them to not use drugs I had to walk the walk...not just talk the talk. I used the nicoderm 6-2-2 program and it was still tough. My last smoke was last 6 December 12 years ago. In hind sight was it worth it...hell yeah. My sons didn't get into drugs and I've been healthier for quitting. There is no down side.

Agreed. The downside is an illusion created by addiction. Once you get through that you find it doesn't exist.

ed bell
01-27-2008, 03:00
Monday will come. I've been free for 8 years. I hope the cold turkey works for you. I quit one habit at a time: smoking in the a.m.; smoking in the car; smoking inside; smoking during work breaks; and last but not least, smoking in bars while drinking. When it came down to the last one, I knew I had it kicked. I gained a lot of weight afterwards and I struggle with that today.

Almost There
01-27-2008, 03:41
Already have kicked smoking during the week before 6pm, so it's smoking at night, starts on Monday and then smoking on the weekend, the hard part as my wife isn't ready to quit, but I think if I can make it till Friday then the weekend should be possible!

jrwiesz
01-27-2008, 05:41
::: Dino seen quaking at thought of Baltimore Jack as a role model :D :::

Does that mean, Almost There has to, now, wear a dress?:eek:

[Dino inserts, "the" Baltimore Jack photo, here]

Where did that photo go? I did a search; somebody remove it?:-?

jrwiesz
01-27-2008, 05:50
Well we'll see if anyone decides to jump on the wagon with me, but the positive support is nice so far, thanks all!

I would, but, "been there, done that".

Take Lilreds' advise, get some swizzle sticks or butterscotch candy, I used Jolly Ranchers. Something to keep the hands and mouth busy.
Never give up, mind over matter, and all that stuff.

Go out and take more walks, especially when you're on edge, and feel like lashing out at your loved ones.

Good luck!!:sun

CaseyB
01-27-2008, 05:53
Kick it, boys & girls!!! Smoking sucks, how the hell did we start anyway?? Nobody under the age of 60 has any excuse for having ever started, myself included. Grrrrr...... be our smoke-free Bear. Efff Philip Morris.

Clean since New Year's here, good luck to all quitters.

atmooney
01-27-2008, 08:59
You can do it!!! I started running when I quit, which sounds stupid, but it showed me how much damage smoking was doing. I'm not much of a runner, but I don't smoke anymore... Do something totally opposite to smoking. Stay positive about it! The things you'll be able to smell while hiking that you couldn't before is something to look forward to. If you have kids, THEY won't smell like smoke anymore either. Good luck!!!!

NICKTHEGREEK
01-27-2008, 09:50
I smoked for more than 40 years, and enjoyed every cigarette. I quit cold turkey right before Easter last year and I've been pretty good with it. I did fall off the wagon for a week, one smoke turned into one pack a day within a 4 day span, but I'm a non-smoker again.

Only thing I can add is there's lots of solid reasons why you should quit and only lame excuses why you haven't. Good luck kicking it.

superman
01-27-2008, 10:39
"Only thing I can add is there's lots of solid reasons why you should quit and only lame excuses why you haven't. Good luck kicking it."

The two healthiest things that I've done in my life for me was quitting smoking and hiking the AT.

Some people have an easier time of quitting smoking and some folks have more determination. It is worth what ever effort you have to use to get it done. Just do it...now...the sooner the better.

Newb
01-27-2008, 11:15
Tell you what if I am still smoking when I see you again, I owe you a case of PBR!!! Hopefully the thought of buying you cheap beer will keep me honest!!!:D

I'll set your shoe on fire and point out the smoke. You'll have to pay!

I quit smoking last year. It was hard at first but come April 20th it will be 1 year. The best part is I'll be on the trail when the day comes.

Lilred
01-27-2008, 11:16
If you have kids, THEY won't smell like smoke anymore either. Good luck!!!!

I teach, and it's terrible when a student walks into school reeking of cigarette smoke and it's cause of their parents habit. So sad.

Almost There
01-27-2008, 11:55
Thanks all! I'll keep you posted and see how it goes. Yeah I thought about Jolly Ranchers or Dum Dums. I think when I come home instead of that first cig I always crave, I'll have a beer. The hardest thing is gonna be dealing with the fact that there are cigs in the house, hopefully the wife will quit before summer but I know I gotta do it first.

Lone Wolf
01-27-2008, 12:01
http://www.quitsmokinghelp.net/smokers_lungs.html

GGS2
01-27-2008, 12:43
Funny, about two years later I was driving down the road and reached across the seat to grab my smokes, where I always kept them while I drove. I thought, 'what the **** was that about?' and laughed myself silly. I didn't have a craving, just on auto pilot, very weird.

I noticed when I quit many years ago that there were many little temptations for a long time after the last smoke. The most dangerous ones were the almost mindless ones. Even after a year or more, "just this one" can creep up on you, and before you know it, you can be back to a pack a day. Now, many years later, the habits are all gone, and I never have a craving. I don't remember how long it took to get to this state, but it surely was more than a year. So be on your guard! After even one cigarette, it can be just as bad as quitting from a normal habit. Don't do it. I have to be frank: what saved me was the headaches. They got really bad, and after one too many relapses, I just figured out that it was not doing me any good, and I had to quit. Period. So I did. Going back is just playing mind games with yourself. All the best to all quitters and ex-smokers! By the way, what worked for me was cold turkey.

cheflovesbeer
01-27-2008, 13:17
He is right quit now.

Jack Tarlin
01-27-2008, 16:09
Thanx to Almost There for the kind words, but I feel compelled to point out that his comments were a bit pre-mature. I haven't "managed to quit" yet. What I've managed to do is to go just over three months without a smoke, and since I've been a smoker for something like 25 years or more, 100 days is not a whole lot in the vast scheme of things. If I make it a year, then I'll tell people I've "managed to quit." Til then, I still have a tobacco habit, and I'm still addicted to them, and I will be for the rest of my life, whether I pick them back up again or not.

But in any case, good luck to A.T. and anyone else who decides to try and kick their own habit. If I can do it, anyone can.

Almost There
01-27-2008, 16:16
Thanx to Almost There for the kind words, but I feel compelled to point out that his comments were a bit pre-mature. I haven't "managed to quit" yet. What I've managed to do is to go just over three months without a smoke, and since I've been a smoker for something like 25 years or more, 100 days is not a whole lot in the vast scheme of things. If I make it a year, then I'll tell people I've "managed to quit." Til then, I still have a tobacco habit, and I'm still addicted to them, and I will be for the rest of my life, whether I pick them back up again or not.

But in any case, good luck to A.T. and anyone else who decides to try and kick their own habit. If I can do it, anyone can.

Jack, not premature, but optimistic. You're a stubborn dude and I think if you have made it 100 days that your stubborness may carry you through. That being said, I know from past attempts that all of us who have smoked for years, whether 5 or 25 are addicts and so we are always in jeopardy of having a weak moment, but I have faith that you will stay "sober" and hopefully I can do that as well when I start my attempt tonight upon going to sleep!

camojack
01-27-2008, 16:23
Good luck quitting; it took me several attempts to give up the cigarettes, although I do still smoke a good cigar about once a month.

I just had one at the PA Ruck, on Friday night, in fact. The next one is planned for the Billville Winter Warmer...

Chaco Taco
01-28-2008, 01:28
I agree with LW, just stop. If you have truly decided to give it up, just stop. Its when you make the decision to quit, that you should quit.

Either way, good luck. It does get easier. Hell the smell of it now makes me sick.

Honey Dew
01-28-2008, 01:37
Hey there!

I commend you on your decision to quit smoking. I agree that it's easier to quit cold turkey. I smoked for 11 years and put those cowboy killers down last August. It was damn hard...but your will power and positive thinking are what will get you through. The first week is a bitch and you're gonna be moody and cranky and want to bite everyone's head off...but if you can make it the 1st week...you've got it made. The cravings will still be there..especially the habitual ones...but it's possible. If you need a support group...the people that have successfully quit are here for you. We know what you're gonna go through...but we're also here to tell you that it's possible and you can do it. Good luck and I hope you're successful! :sun

Almost There
01-28-2008, 01:59
Alright, had my last cigarette, time for bed, I'll let you guys know how I am doing tomorrow night! Thanks for all of the encouragement so far!

Jaybird62
01-28-2008, 02:37
You got it man---that's where the battle is won and lost--mental,just like the trail can be---just know you got it whipped!!!

Heater
01-28-2008, 05:12

Jack, I quit for over a year once. It only took one. :(

Heater
01-28-2008, 05:17
Alright, had my last cigarette, time for bed, I'll let you guys know how I am doing tomorrow night! Thanks for all of the encouragement so far!

I thought it was next Monday. :confused:

Almost There
01-28-2008, 09:59
I thought it was next Monday. :confused:

Naw, ok, now mabe I see why everyone was saying just quit now. I meant Monday, today, or start on the 1st of the month and decided to start today because it was the beginning of the work week when I am busiest and most occupied. So far so good. The hard part is when I go home tonight!

weary
01-28-2008, 10:01
Alright, I know that there alot of us that still smoke, and many of us have tried quitting numerous times in the past. Now seeing as Jack has managed to quit (and buddy I believe you've done it for good seeing as you've made it over 100 days!) I have decided to give it a go again once and for all, and I wanted to see if anyone here on WB wants to give it a go as well at the same time. What I am thinking is starting on Monday or February 1st. Setting a date is a big part of success and so I am thinking Monday because work is a great distraction for those first 72 hours. Who needs those stupid nonsmoker forums when we got WB. We can encourage each other to stay quit and use the trail as a focus for why we are quitting. I just know I want to be hiking 30 years from now, and the thought of COPD, Emphysema, or Cancer just isn't something I want to deal with.

Now Orangebug has told me many times that the best way to do it is cold turkey as it gets the nicotine out of your system faster than anything, and that it also has the highest success rate. So I will be going cold turkey, although to each his own.

So the call goes out to see if anyone else wants to join me in making our lives on the trail better as well as our over all health. On the day we settle on I'll start a thread in the health section and whenever you're having a rough time, just go there and talk it out. I think together some more of us maybe can get this habit kicked and gone, heck if Jack can give it up, then why can't more of us?

Also I know this isn't straight forward, but please don't post anything mean spirited, try to stay positive or humorous. Non-smokers feel free to chime in as well, we need all of the encouragement we can get!
I'd join, but White Blaze is my only remaining bad habit.

Weary

Almost There
01-28-2008, 12:08
I'd join, but White Blaze is my only remaining bad habit.

Weary

Weary,

You can most assuredly keep this addiction!!!http://www.theyo.com/yoyo/images/smilies/icon_super.gif

Pokey2006
01-28-2008, 13:07
Well, if you're going cold turkey, today and the next couple days are going to be the hardest -- hang in there! And if it doesn't work, set another date and try again, and keep going until you do it for good.

For those saying "quit now," setting a date is actually a good idea. It gives you time to prepare, time to get ready for what is essentially a huge change in lifestyle. I personally believing in actually setting a date further away, like a month down the road.

If I could do it after 18 years as a heavy chain-smoker (it's been 2 years now!), you can totally do this. Things that helped me, that you can try if you need additional help: a formal quit-smoking program with a support group, yoga, hypnosis, abstaining from alcohol for a while, lots of water and herbal tea, knitting and more yoga. Sounds flaky, but it worked for me.

Hope you're finding what works for you. Good luck!

mudhead
01-28-2008, 13:51
Thanks all! I'll keep you posted and see how it goes. Yeah I thought about Jolly Ranchers or Dum Dums. I think when I come home instead of that first cig I always crave, I'll have a beer. The hardest thing is gonna be dealing with the fact that there are cigs in the house, hopefully the wife will quit before summer but I know I gotta do it first.

Be careful with this.

Stick pretzels, baby carrots for the eye/hand/mouth thing.

Lay in something for sore throat.

You need a project. Be well.

Almost There
01-28-2008, 14:11
Thanks Pokey and Mudhead, I got WB, the fitness center, video games, hiking, and...oh yeah, food to help me through it. I agree keeping busy or occupied will be the key.

Alligator
01-28-2008, 14:19
Ask your wife to smoke outside.

Almost There
01-28-2008, 14:20
Ask your wife to smoke outside.

We have never smoked inside, so that area is a safe zone already!

Nightwalker
01-28-2008, 14:39
Yeah I thought about it, but I'm going with a doctor's advice to set a date, and seeing as I don't smoke during the day in a work week, it might be easier to get over that first three day hurdle. So I'm aiming for Monday, no more cancer sticks!!!

When I finally quit for good, it was a spur-of-the-moment thing. I just got sick of them, wadded the pack, and tossed it. That was in 2000. :)

(Beware of switching addictions. I gained a lot of weight! Hiking is lots better now, though.)

Almost There
01-29-2008, 00:54
Quick check in on here! 24 hours gone!!! Time for bed! Was Jones'n a little tonight, but it wasn't bad and I ate a few cookies and had a beer instead of a smoke.

jrwiesz
01-29-2008, 03:50
Just a friendly reminder, and encouragement!:sun

Did you get some hard candies? Butterscotch, Jolly Ranchers, Pepermint?
Try to eat a lot of fruit, and make sure you cut up your apples, strawberries, bananas, etc. Gives your hand busy-work, plus your eating positive calories. They really helped me with the craves, and throat.

Keep-up the good work.

You're the greatest!!!

OK, you get the picture.:D

Never stop QUITTING!!!

Almost There
01-30-2008, 00:57
Quick check in, Now have made it about 48 hours, 24 more to go for chemical dependency! As for food, etc. I'm just working out right now and eating what I want so I figure it will be a scratch for the time being, no weight loss, but no weight gain!

The urges haven't been that bad, the come and I think how nice that buzz would feel, but know deep within that I have smoked my last cigarette and I am committed to that idea, so I just push the thought aside and plod on!

Honey Dew
01-30-2008, 03:56
Congrats on your success so far! You're doing awesome! Hang in there!!!! :sun

Almost There
01-30-2008, 09:50
Thanks Honey!

I'm hoping I'll start sleeping through the night within the next couple of days again.

Almost There
01-31-2008, 01:33
Three days down, nicotine out of system!!! I'll just give weekly updates from now on.

bfitz
01-31-2008, 02:21
'Cause I'd like to see you out in the moonlight
I'd like to kiss you way back in the sticks
I'd like to walk you through a field of wildflowers
And I'd like to check you for ticks...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KvHB4zpNX4&feature=related

bfitz
01-31-2008, 02:22
Oooops that was meant for the sex on the AT thread.

Good luck quittin smokin though. :p

Shadowmoss
01-31-2008, 08:02
Adding my congratulations and encouragement. I am not a smoker and so can't offer real life examples, but know that I am sending you positive energy.

Shadowmoss

JAK
01-31-2008, 09:09
Three days down, nicotine out of system!!! I'll just give weekly updates from now on.Hang in there. When my grandfather finally had to quit, years after his lungs were damaged at Paschendale, he did so by going for a long walk in the woods alone for a few days, fishing mostly. Even his dog was smart enough not to go with him.

Almost There
01-31-2008, 09:54
Wife went out of town yesterday, won't be back till Monday, it was an all of a sudden thing, but might be for the best! Actually feel pretty good, if I could just sleep through the night!

Alligator
01-31-2008, 10:39
Keep up the good work.

bfitz
01-31-2008, 14:00
Wife went out of town yesterday, won't be back till Monday, it was an all of a sudden thing, but might be for the best! Actually feel pretty good, if I could just sleep through the night!

Get some melatonin and theanine supplements. They have been very helpful to me when trying to get sleep while keeping away (or coming down) from various substances. All natural and good for you but very effective. Surprisingly so, especially together.

Almost There
01-31-2008, 14:09
Yeah, I'm gonna see, I've always been a real deep sleeper, hopefully by next week I'll start sleeping better. On a plus note, I have had more energy during the day, but that may also be due to my having worked out for three weeks straight now, always gives me more energy.

the goat
01-31-2008, 14:13
cigarettes are delicious.

smoke 'em every once in a while, just don't smoke 'em every day.

Almost There
01-31-2008, 14:37

Great idea, problem is, I'm addicted, can't smoke just one, better not to smoke at all.

Speer Carrier
01-31-2008, 15:32
Three days down, nicotine out of system!!! I'll just give weekly updates from now on.

Hey Almost,

I hiked with you a couple of years ago, form Dicks Creek Gap to Muskrat Creek Shelter. You got some bad blisters and had to get off the trail, or we would have gone on to the NOC.

I want to offer my encouragement to you like the other folks. I started smoking when I was nine years old. Bought a pack of Chesterfield unfiltered from a mom and pop store in Ohio. It took me a week to smoke the pack. By the time I got to high school I was smoking a pack a day. I even smoked while playing football and running track. By college I was smoking 2 packs per day.

Quit cold turkey as a birthday present to my six year old daughter when I was twenty-nine.

It took me about three weeks to get over the real need for smokes, and a few months to completely adjust to not smoking. I haven't had a cigarette since that day I quit. Thirty-six years ago. If I could do it so can you.

Watch out for the eating as a substitute. As I recall from two years ago, you are already a pretty big lad.

Again, best of luck. You'll never regret your decision.

Speer Carrier

JAK
01-31-2008, 15:53
Have you thought about getting out for a dayhike or a weekend hike?
First day might be tough if its a trigger, but like Lone Wolf said, there are no triggers.
A trail and fresh air might do you good. One hill at a time.

camojack
01-31-2008, 21:19
Yer not bein' helpful here... :eek:

Almost There
01-31-2008, 22:09
Hey Almost,

I hiked with you a couple of years ago, form Dicks Creek Gap to Muskrat Creek Shelter. You got some bad blisters and had to get off the trail, or we would have gone on to the NOC.

I want to offer my encouragement to you like the other folks. I started smoking when I was nine years old. Bought a pack of Chesterfield unfiltered from a mom and pop store in Ohio. It took me a week to smoke the pack. By the time I got to high school I was smoking a pack a day. I even smoked while playing football and running track. By college I was smoking 2 packs per day.

Quit cold turkey as a birthday present to my six year old daughter when I was twenty-nine.

It took me about three weeks to get over the real need for smokes, and a few months to completely adjust to not smoking. I haven't had a cigarette since that day I quit. Thirty-six years ago. If I could do it so can you.

Watch out for the eating as a substitute. As I recall from two years ago, you are already a pretty big lad.

Again, best of luck. You'll never regret your decision.

Speer Carrier

Thanks Don! What are you saying I'm Fat?....:eek: Naw, that might have been the worst hike I have done on the AT,(I've done over 300 miles, close to 400 since then) my heel still shreds like paper because of it, so I switched to trail runners, and eventually a new pack, haven't had any blisters since. BTW, You're right I'm a big guy, although a bit more solid then when you last saw me. I would still be happy to lose a few pounds....that being said I am working out and I think the food thing is starting to come under control after 3-4 days. Right now I am playing the I get antsy, I go work out game. My weight hasn't gone up at all yet. So well see but thanks for your words.

Yeah, I have Jak, but I don't feel like spending the money to get up to the trail right now, I did do a hike at the beginning of the month between Woody Gap and Unicoi, and that sort of spurred this whole quitting thing on, but it's not a bad idea. Might try to do an overnight here soon. We'll see. Might park at Gooch Gap and hike into Gooch shelter, build a big fire and bring in some good food and just chill and enjoy the outdoors and other hikers. Not a bad idea at all!:D

Almost There
02-04-2008, 00:39
Well I am back, and I am getting better, although I don't get the fun phlegm cough, instead I get to blow all of it out of my nose!:eek: That and Insomnia are my remaining side effects at the moment.

So one week down, HOORAY, that deserves Dancing Bananas!!!:banana:banana:banana:banana

Idealist
02-04-2008, 03:05
Great job! That is wonderful to hear. I look forward to your next successful update.

superman
02-04-2008, 12:18
After I was smoke free for a while I realized my throat felt different. My perpetual sore throat was gone. I'd had a slight nagging sore throat for so long I'd just gotten used to it. It was one of the good changes that started happening after I quit 12 years ago.

Honey Dew
02-06-2008, 01:16
One week!!!! That's a huge accomplishment! Keep it up! Now you'll notice that your sense of smell is stronger and you're sense of taste is probably becoming sharper. The amazing thing is...when a smoker walks by you...it's so strong and you wonder to yourself...did I smell like that? Congrats!!! :banana

Pokey2006
02-06-2008, 01:32

I envy people who can do that. Unfortunately, some of us are like the alcoholic who can never have so much as a sip of alcohol again. One little drag of a cigarette, and I'd be chainsmoking two packs by tomorrow. Can never touch them again. What a bummer, because I did enjoy smoking.

BUT, it feels great being a non-smoker and healthy for once. Keep at it. The side effects of quitting do get better, and cravings eventually become nothing more than wistful sigh.

Maybe an herbal tea would help you sleep? The Sleepytime Extra always does it for me.

Almost There
02-06-2008, 01:35
Thx Honey,

Yeah, now I gotta get my wife to quit...she's smoking less now without me, as for taste, my belly isn't gonna disagree with you. Gotta go pick up some healthier snacks or I'm gonna start looking like a power lifter soon. My problem when I lift weights is I don't seem to lose weight w/o major dieting, I just bulk up, although I guess it's better to be big and strong than big and fat!!!

Almost There
02-06-2008, 01:40
I envy people who can do that. Unfortunately, some of us are like the alcoholic who can never have so much as a sip of alcohol again. One little drag of a cigarette, and I'd be chainsmoking two packs by tomorrow. Can never touch them again. What a bummer, because I did enjoy smoking.

BUT, it feels great being a non-smoker and healthy for once. Keep at it. The side effects of quitting do get better, and cravings eventually become nothing more than wistful sigh.

Maybe an herbal tea would help you sleep? The Sleepytime Extra always does it for me.

It's getting better, but I agree, I think I could have one and be ok, but not until I had kept away for months and then it would have to be a special situation, like sitting on a porch up in Maine this summer and I bum one, as a celebratory thing, sorta like smoking something else every once and while:eek:, but to do it around people I'm in contact with every day would just be asking for trouble. No, I think if I ever did, and if being the operative word, it would be a long long time from now, right now I'm actually too scared to think about doing something like that, so we'll just stay clean and sober and keep getting healthier!:D

Pokey2006
02-06-2008, 01:40
Worry about the weight later. You can always lose weight. You can't always grow another lung. Plus, it's easier to exercise when you can actually breathe!

Pokey2006
02-06-2008, 01:42
I have met some people who could smoke a cigar once in a while after quitting cigarettes. Everyone's different. Just be careful when you do! Like you said, though, definitely wait several months first. You might be surprised to find that you won't even WANT to smoke one after being "clean" for a few months.

Almost There
02-06-2008, 09:51
I have met some people who could smoke a cigar once in a while after quitting cigarettes. Everyone's different. Just be careful when you do! Like you said, though, definitely wait several months first. You might be surprised to find that you won't even WANT to smoke one after being "clean" for a few months.

That's pretty much what I'm thinking. It will be more like a, why bother?

Smile
02-06-2008, 10:01
Well I am back, and I am getting better, although I don't get the fun phlegm cough, instead I get to blow all of it out of my nose!:eek:

So one week down, HOORAY, that deserves Dancing Bananas!!!:banana:banana:banana:banana

Keep it up! You can do it! You ARE doing it!
Way to go to the quitters, it's one of those quitting opportunities that actually is good for you in so many ways! :)

As for the cough - visit the local health food store, get yourself some Mullein (most sell it in teabags) that will fix it after a few days. Be prepard to cough up some major blobs.:o

Almost There
02-06-2008, 10:07
Keep it up! You can do it! You ARE doing it!
Way to go to the quitters, it's one of those quitting opportunities that actually is good for you in so many ways! :)

As for the cough - visit the local health food store, get yourself some Mullein (most sell it in teabags) that will fix it after a few days. Be prepard to cough up some major blobs.:o

Naw, I got a special treat, I've been blowing it out my nose:eek: rather than coughing it up!!!

Smile
02-06-2008, 13:48
That's an olympic sport in many foreign countries :)

V8
02-06-2008, 14:56
I get really rebellious if someone, including myself, tries to tell me what to do. So, it doesn't work for me to say "you can never have another cigarette!".

But what gets around this little snare for me is this: "you can smoke all you want, just be ready to get the whole cigarette habit back - including having to go through withdrawal and quitting again."

"Just one cigarette" doesn't look the same to me anymore - I see it directly connected to possibly 10 more years of sneaking smokes, spending $, stinking up the house, bothering other people, keeping me hostage to the habit, etc. etc. So it is now actually easier to say no when the occasional temptation comes up than when I thought of it as "just one cigarette".

dessertrat
02-06-2008, 14:57
That's right-- if you could promise that "just one" would be my last one, I'd do it. But I know, of a certainty, that it won't be, so I don't.

superman
02-06-2008, 15:07
Even though it's been 12 years smoke free, there are days that if I had a cigarette I'd smoke it. The urge is still there but it's much less frequente and doesn't last long. Quitting was so hard for me that I'm afraid that if I smoked one cigarette that I'd just smoke for the rest of my life. Plus, I was told the other day that a pack of smokes cost $6.00...I'm way too cheap to pay that.:)

Jack Tarlin
02-06-2008, 16:36
Geez, this "Jack as inspiration!" thing is pretty funny, and kinda embarassing. I remember NBA star Charles Barkley a few years back admonishing people, "No! Not me! I am not worthy. Look to your own kids! I am NOT a role model!!" :D

In any case, best of luck, again, to those of you who are quitting. I'm up to 16 weeks now, and everything is fine. If I can do this, anyone can, so best of luck.

On the other hand, my condolences to any of you who have R.J. Reynolds stock. I hear they're tanking horribly.

neighbor dave
02-06-2008, 16:40
:-? "camel smoker" eh??:-?

why do they call the camel the "ship of the desert" ?
p.m. me for the answer

NICKTHEGREEK
02-06-2008, 16:57
Geez, this "Jack as inspiration!" thing is pretty funny, and kinda embarassing. I remember NBA star Charles Barkley a few years back admonishing people, "No! Not me! I am not worthy. Look to your own kids! I am NOT a role model!!" :D

In any case, best of luck, again, to those of you who are quitting. I'm up to 16 weeks now, and everything is fine. If I can do this, anyone can, so best of luck.

On the other hand, my condolences to any of you who have R.J. Reynolds stock. I hear they're tanking horribly.
Good man Jack!

superman
02-06-2008, 17:22
IMHO any thread that can help folks quit smoking is worth keeping going.

neighbor dave
02-06-2008, 19:44
IMHO any thread that can help folks quit smoking is worth keeping going.

http://www.elekta.com/assets/content/patient/abcancer.gif

Almost There
02-06-2008, 23:22
I freely admit, I was leaning towards quitting and saw Jack had done it, and I thought he was the type that would smoke till the day he died, no offense Jack! It really started to get to me and it came down to, hell if Jack can do it....then so can I! So I thought I would see if anyone wanted to do it with me, no one yet, but the encouragement has kept me going on a couple of days, so I appreciate everyone. I figure if I make it through my Maine/NH hike this summer without one then I should be good to go completely.

rcli4
02-07-2008, 00:32
I freely admit, I was leaning towards quitting and saw Jack had done it, and I thought he was the type that would smoke till the day he died, no offense Jack! It really started to get to me and it came down to, hell if Jack can do it....then so can I! So I thought I would see if anyone wanted to do it with me, no one yet, but the encouragement has kept me going on a couple of days, so I appreciate everyone. I figure if I make it through my Maine/NH hike this summer without one then I should be good to go completely.

I quit on the 20 th of Dec. but this thread has helped me. I agree if Jack can quit I kinow I can.

Clyde

shoe
02-07-2008, 01:37
I admire anyone going through the quitting process. It can be very difficult and frustrating, but in the end so worth it.
I have been smoke free for 446 days, 5 hours, 6 minutes after a 20 year habit.
I quit cold turkey but I had the help of Chantix which was a miracle drug for me.
I also gained 50 pounds in those 446 days :sigh:

Almost There
02-07-2008, 01:45
Great to hear it Clyde!!!

Mel, no weight gain really yet, but I started working out full go with weights and cardio 3 weeks ago, just like the old days. I haven't lost any weight, thanks to my food choices since quitting, but I have gone down a notch on my belt....Gotta start my healthy meal choices again with the shopping this week! Glad to hear you throttled the monkey!!!

Pokey2006
02-07-2008, 02:48
It actually took more than a year for me to put on the weight. That's because I was hiking for half of that first year... Then the slow-down in metabolism hit me hard when I finished my hike and settled into a desk job. Argh!

But, quitting smoking improved so many other things about my appearance, who cares about a few pounds? I hadn't realized how jaundiced I was. As soon as I quit, I noticed my eyes were white and actually sparkled. Whitening my teeth was no longer a futile effort. My skin lost its yellow tint and doesn't break out as often. And I no longer smell like an ashtray.

Focus on the things that have IMPROVED about your appearance. Seriously, look in the mirror and notice all those little changes on your face.

Almost There
02-07-2008, 10:26
It actually took more than a year for me to put on the weight. That's because I was hiking for half of that first year... Then the slow-down in metabolism hit me hard when I finished my hike and settled into a desk job. Argh!

But, quitting smoking improved so many other things about my appearance, who cares about a few pounds? I hadn't realized how jaundiced I was. As soon as I quit, I noticed my eyes were white and actually sparkled. Whitening my teeth was no longer a futile effort. My skin lost its yellow tint and doesn't break out as often. And I no longer smell like an ashtray.

Focus on the things that have IMPROVED about your appearance. Seriously, look in the mirror and notice all those little changes on your face.

The only thing different about my face at this point is that my nose won't stop running!:D

NICKTHEGREEK
02-07-2008, 11:25

No, repeat frequently. I know after I make it through my Maine/NH hike this summer without one then I will be good to go completely.[/quote]

Almost There
02-07-2008, 12:55
Nick, shouldn't be a problem as I have never smoked on the trail, but I agree thinking in the positive is the way to go!

superman
02-07-2008, 13:15

I had been smoke free for a month when a friend of mine stopped by my house. He had accepted that quitting was beyound his ability. He was resigned to smoking for the rest of his life. When he found out that I'd quit it pi$$ed him off. He spun his wheels down my driveway. He went home and fumed and sputtered. He threw his pack of unfiltered Pall Mall's in the trash and quit cold turkey. He couldn't deal with it that I could do it and he couldn't. The funny thing is that I couldn't have quit cold turkey...I needed the help of the Nicoderm 6-2-2 program to get it done.

walkin' wally
02-07-2008, 19:42
I quit several years ago after a heated dispute with a supervisor after he admonished me for smoking in a prohibited area. What really topped it off was right after that he performed the same rule violation because he was in a hurry to confer with another employee about something unrelated. So he walked through that prohibited area with a lit cigarette.

I grabbed my smokes from my pocket and threw them in the waste barrel and that was it for me. I used my anger over the situation to help me quit. Cold turkey. I have thanked him personally several times since then for "helping me". :D

One more thing on this is that I am going to try a thru hike in 2010. I feel like I have saved a lot of my pulmonary stamina by not smoking all these years. I think that will help me in 2010. I feel that my non smoking for years is paying off now in my late fifties as I still am very active and don't feel restrained by my respiratory health.

Good luck, Almost There. The best is yet to come. :sun

Lone Wolf
02-17-2008, 12:16
Well, Almost There, have you stayed smoke free since you started this thread?

The Desperado
02-17-2008, 12:35
I just quit one day and never looked back [well maybe a few times] but never smoked again. That was over 40 years ago. As a few folks have allready said, when you really make up your mind--just do it! Best of luck!

Jack Tarlin
02-17-2008, 14:15
Just hit 4 months today.

Best of luck to anyone doing likewise.

dessertrat
02-17-2008, 14:31
Congrats Jack. I am on day 147. (I had to go over the calendar to figure it out-- I don't think about it much anymore).

brotheral
02-17-2008, 15:08
Congratulations Everyone !! Take it One Day at a Time..... I'm praying for you !!:banana What a Blessing !!!!

Almost There
02-17-2008, 21:04
Yes Wolf, three weeks today!!! I have been a workout fool since I started, unfortunately, I have been eating like I am in training for an NFL lineman. I gained 7lbs the first week since quitting, but have gained a notch on my belt, so I have thinned down a little bit. If I could just start eating less, I would start losing weight.

peanuts
02-18-2008, 11:48
congrats to the two of you!!!!!
keep up the good work!!!!

Almost There
03-13-2008, 19:04
Haven't posted in awhile, it's been almost 7 weeks!!!

hopefulhiker
03-13-2008, 19:09
Way to Go Jack! I think you might beat it.. You can start thnking of yourself as a non smoker.. now if you can only start thinking yourself as a liberal!

rcli4
03-13-2008, 19:13
been 12 weeks for me I think (Dec 20)

Clyde

CrumbSnatcher
03-13-2008, 19:18
i hope you can stick it out jack,my brothers getting ready to try to quit! he came home from the lung doctor two days ago. he'll be 42 yrs. old next month. he has smoked since he was 12. camel non-filters for at least the last 10-15 years 3 packs a day. he called me up to tell me broke all the records at the doctors office he has the lungs of a 118 year old. i'd like to see both of you stick around for awhile! maybe see you at hardcore...

mrc237
03-13-2008, 19:33
Hang in there baby!!!! You're Almost There!!!

Jack Tarlin
03-14-2008, 13:52
150 days today, feeling fine.

Best of luck to those doing likewise!

dessertrat
03-14-2008, 14:38
Go Jack. I'll hit six months next week.

Almost There
03-23-2008, 10:14
Eight weeks tonight!!!!!....or 56 Days!!!

solace
03-23-2008, 10:17
you can do it man! YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Almost There
03-23-2008, 10:23
It's weird, I go days now without thinking about it...but every once in a while I think it would be nice to just have ONE...don't know where the thought comes from, but it is easy to laugh off or overpower. It's just, like I said, weird.

peanuts
03-23-2008, 10:34
congrats almost there.....keep it up!!
jt, i hope you are still doing well in your quest!

brotheral
03-23-2008, 10:34
150 days today, feeling fine.

Best of luck to those doing likewise!
CONGRATULATIONS Jack and Others who are kicking this deadly habit !! :welcome I'll keep praying for you !! Happy Trails... BrotherAL:sun

rcli4
03-23-2008, 11:45
I quit on the 20th of december. I get that same feeling. It keeps getting easier for it to go away.

Clyde

peanuts
03-23-2008, 14:28
way to go clyde!!! congrats....

Pokey2006
03-24-2008, 03:20
It's weird, I go days now without thinking about it...but every once in a while I think it would be nice to just have ONE...don't know where the thought comes from, but it is easy to laugh off or overpower. It's just, like I said, weird.

Two years later I still get that every once in a while. But I promise it becomes more like a nostalgic sigh, a wistful memory, that actually barely even registers except in passing. Then you sit next to someone who's smoking and the thought of taking a drag makes you sick. Just remember that taking a drag now WOULD make you sick -- literally. You'd likely puke.

Way to go! Don't forget to give yourself a treat for doing so well!

Jaybird
03-24-2008, 06:53
Alright, I know that there alot of us that still smoke, and many of us have tried quitting numerous times in the past. Now seeing as Jack has managed to quit (and buddy I believe you've done it for good seeing as you've made it over 100 days!)

Way to go, JACK!:D

see U out there beginning Apr 26!

superman
03-24-2008, 07:26
My last smoke was last 6 December 12 years ago and there are still occasional urges to smoke. The urges are fairly rare now and pass much faster. When I get *issed off if I had a cigarette I'd light up. It took me twice on the Nicoderm 6-2-2 program and it still wasn't easy. The thing that stops me from going back to smoking (besides the price) is that I don't know if I could make it through the quitting again. I was determined to quit when my sons were in high school and I did it as an example for them. What ever your personal motivation is, it is you who has to me ready and motivated to quit. A common thing for ex smokers to say is that they wish that they'd done it sooner...I do. If it takes emulating Jack or the support of this thread on Whiteblaze that's great. It's worth the effort. I say that hiking the AT was the healthiest thing that I've ever done for myself, both mentally and physically, just for me. Quitting smoking is right up there with hiking the AT. I congratulate each one of you who quit this year and I encourage those who haven't quit yet to not give up on quitting no matter how many times you fell off the wagon before...it is worth it.

superman
03-24-2008, 07:29
:D and those who quit last year.

Newb
03-24-2008, 07:41
I'll be at one year on April 21st. I dont even think about it anymore nor do I have cravings. Last night, however, I had a dream in which I smoked a cigarrette and it was SO real...the nicotine effect, everything. In the dream I was mortified that I'd smoked and when I woke up I had to convince myself it wasn't real. Freaky.