PDA

View Full Version : More on abandoned gear

Purple
01-26-2008, 20:33
I can't believe Stumpknockers find of abandoned gear on 1/15/08 has gone uninvestigated :eek:....... I have searched the internet and found that at least one person is missing in this area. They have just reopened the search for John Bryant who went missing in NC, but have moved it south because of Merrideth. Who is to say that Hilton did not abduct a young person at Locust Cove Gap before heading south (or after) and the camp Stumpknocker found is the result. Stumpknocker should have contacted the authorities immediately. The site did not look that old to me though. :-? Notice how the leaves had been removed from in front the tent in a "perfect line" so as to not track them inside and the water in the bladder is not frozen at the tube end. The leaves covering the cooking gear could have been kicked there by other hikers "checking out" the site or as the result of a scuffle during an abduction, it had to be resent(at that time) considering no new leaves had dropped in front of the tent. Don't you think that even a young inexperienced person would take the hand warmers with him/her even if he/she was leaving the woods. The camp site is very suspicious and should be investigated. I am guessing no one has reported it because they do not want to be investigated themselves or don't have TIME to answers questions. Is THE HIKE more important than helping a fellow hiker. I thought thru hikers look out for each other ... it makes me think twice about doing my planned hike. I would hate to be out there injured or worse and know that other hiker pass by and just shrug their shoulders. I guess I am making enimies here. It's been 11 days since his find yet no one has reported it. I don't know who to contact to report it. Can't someone near there report this. Or give me a number to call and I will report it! Does anyone besides me even CARE!:(

warraghiyagey
01-26-2008, 20:36
I think most of us share your concern, but your questioning of Stumpknocker is overboard and is an obvious sign that you've never met him. He is one of the great people you will ever meet on the trail.

Purple
01-26-2008, 20:49
No I have never met him but I have been reading his journals for over a year. That is why I could not believe he did nothing. He is a very concerned person about "things" on the trail. For him to ignore such an obvious situtation knowing that this time of year there are FEW hikers that would come across this I just feel it was his RESPONSIBILLITY to report it or to have his transcriber report. Who else is out there???? He said he has only seen one other hiker at that point so wasn't up to him to make sure someone was not hurt or needed help. He said nothing about looking around to make sure someone wasn't injured he just ASSUMED it was abandoned. How is he going to feel later if it turns out it was something bad that happened and he just SHRUGGED it off. I personally use his journals as a learning tool and will continue to do so but I say "shame" on him. If he did more but did not say so in his journal then I apologize- but he should have reported it.

Lone Wolf
01-26-2008, 20:52
you're out of line. get in your car and drive to the area and check it out if you;re so concerned. or call the ATC

warraghiyagey
01-26-2008, 20:52
Sounds to me like you could learn alot more from his journals than physics. Starting with Grace.
Til then, take a pill, get over yourself a little, breathe, maybe PM him and inquire nicely what the specifics are beofre you go judging. If after you have ALL the specifics and you think there is more you can do, pick up the phone and do your best.:)

Pedaling Fool
01-26-2008, 20:59
I'll have to re-read, but I thought I read that he mentioned it to someone at a store or something. I got the impression they reported it.

Lone Wolf
01-26-2008, 21:03
I'll have to re-read, but I thought I read that he mentioned it to someone at a store or something. I got the impression they reported it.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=214688

refreeman
01-26-2008, 21:04
you're out of line. get in your car and drive to the area and check it out if you;re so concerned. or call the ATC

what a crock o' *hit :D

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-26-2008, 21:07
LEOs are aware of this abandoned campsite as a result of Stumpknocker's report.

Jan LiteShoe
01-26-2008, 21:14
Why voice your concerns here? Are you expecting someone else to make a call?
I agree, report it if you feel the need.
"Shame" is a pretty strong word.

Purple
01-26-2008, 21:20
concerning Lone Wolf's remark ... I have been reading your comments here for a long while ... you have no concerns for anyone but yourself, not even the AT and your sarcasm is reknowned so you have no room to speak to me in any such matter. NUF SAID TO YOU!

I am expressing a serious concern and I have read Stumpknockers Guest Book - others who he knows have expressed concern and he has not answered their remarks - why would he answer mine .... someone he has never heard of before. I am trying to get someone - IN THE AREA - to either investigate this themselves or CALL SOMEONE that can check it out. I am too far away to do anything but raise a stink strong enough to get something done! And I repeat give me a number to call and I'll do it myself ... I just don't know who to call IN THE AREA that can get there SOON. I have definitely learned from this to get emergency numbers for each area I will be hiking through. IF Stumpknocker were having to wait to do his journal like he normally did than I could understand his delay in reporting ... but he has boasted about his new phone and the ability to instantly transmit data ..... so why would he not call 911 when he found the site ... herhaps he didn't want to look foolish to the police... it is NEVER foolish to report a possible accident. If he were on the streets instead of the trail it would be consider criminal to leave the scene of an accident. All I am asking is that someone HELP ME get a report to the correct authorities to have this "abandoned" campsite investigated ...THERE MAY BE ANOTHER MERRIDTH OUT THERE SOME WHERE!!!!

warraghiyagey
01-26-2008, 21:25
concerning Lone Wolf's remark ... I have been reading your comments here for a long while ... you have no concerns for anyone but yourself, not even the AT and your sarcasm is reknowned so you have no room to speak to me in any such matter. NUF SAID TO YOU!

I am expressing a serious concern and I have read Stumpknockers Guest Book - others who he knows have expressed concern and he has not answered their remarks - why would he answer mine .... someone he has never heard of before. I am trying to get someone - IN THE AREA - to either investigate this themselves or CALL SOMEONE that can check it out. I am too far away to do anything but raise a stink strong enough to get something done! And I repeat give me a number to call and I'll do it myself ... I just don't know who to call IN THE AREA that can get there SOON. I have definitely learned from this to get emergency numbers for each area I will be hiking through. IF Stumpknocker were having to wait to do his journal like he normally did than I could understand his delay in reporting ... but he has boasted about his new phone and the ability to instantly transmit data ..... so why would he not call 911 when he found the site ... herhaps he didn't want to look foolish to the police... it is NEVER foolish to report a possible accident. If he were on the streets instead of the trail it would be consider criminal to leave the scene of an accident. All I am asking is that someone HELP ME get a report to the correct authorities to have this "abandoned" campsite investigated ...THERE MAY BE ANOTHER MERRIDTH OUT THERE SOME WHERE!!!!
Did your prescrition run out. After you've refilled it try doing something productive about your concern other than finding an internet website to join and immediately start belittling it's long time members who are the best of folk.
Or just piss off.

Lone Wolf
01-26-2008, 21:28

wrong honey. if you knew me in person, you'd laugh at me. i'm a good person. maybe you are too. selfish? just the opposite. don't take me or the stupid internet so serious. you said some stupid stuff about stumpy. period. Call the ATC if you're so concerned

10-K
01-26-2008, 21:30
...THERE MAY BE ANOTHER MERRIDTH OUT THERE SOME WHERE!!!!

Well, actually... there *are* a lot of Merediths out there.

Thomas

Purple
01-26-2008, 21:53
ARE YOU NOT LISTENING TO MY PLEA - GIVE ME A NUMBER TO CALL!!!! you keep telling me to call but NOONE IS GIVING A NUMBER! If someone had called the right number when Merridth disappeared maybe she would have been found sooner. Or maybe someone else just shrugged it off. This has nothing to do with the ATC I need a LOCAL NUMBER around Stecoah or Cheoah to call IF SOMEONE ELSE HAS NOT ALREADY REPORTED IT!

Lone Wolf - I AM NOT YOUR HONEY! you are too young for me :-)

warraghiyagey - it's people like you that think "a PILL is the cure for everything", that don't have clue as to what is going on in this world! Maybe YOU need to take PILL!

Ms Liteshoe - I did not mean to offend anyone. I admire your accomplishments but you must admit even you have "put a few stones in Stumplnockers pack!" I can not quote right now where you said it but I remember reading in a past journal "years ago" where you told Stumpy "shame on you". I am sure he is going to get a kick out of the thread as I am sure HE realizes I meant no personal insult to him.

Thank you for your comment Refreeman

Purple
01-26-2008, 21:57
LEOs are aware of this abandoned campsite as a result of Stumpknocker's report.
Can you enlighten me as to this statement?
Are you saying you know for sure it was reported?

Bulldawg
01-26-2008, 22:11
Are you saying you know for sure it was reported?

Tomorrow is Sunday, it's not but about a 3 1/2 drive to where he saw it. Go to bed now and drive up in the morning and check it out yourself???:confused::confused:

Lilred
01-26-2008, 22:12
concerning Lone Wolf's remark ... I have been reading your comments here for a long while ... you have no concerns for anyone but yourself, not even the AT and your sarcasm is reknowned so you have no room to speak to me in any such matter. NUF SAID TO YOU

Well, it's quite obvious to me and everyone else that reads this that you don't know what the **** you're talking about.

Are you so computer illiterate that you can't do a search for the ATC phone number? You've got to come on here causing a commotion, belittling two of the best hiker friends a person could make? Making impassionate pleas for someone to please give you the phone number??? Well, it took me all of 5 seconds to do a search and find the phone number. here ya go

Phone: (304) 535-6331

Now, make the call if you're so concerned, and keep your trashing of hikers that are loved by many to yourself.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-26-2008, 22:16
ARE YOU NOT LISTENING TO MY PLEA - GIVE ME A NUMBER TO CALL!!!! you keep telling me to call but NOONE IS GIVING A NUMBER! If someone had called the right number when Merridth disappeared maybe she would have been found sooner. Or maybe someone else just shrugged it off. This has nothing to do with the ATC I need a LOCAL NUMBER around Stecoah or Cheoah to call IF SOMEONE ELSE HAS NOT ALREADY REPORTED IT!

GRAHAM COUNTY SHERIFF
Sheriff - Russell Moody Email ([email protected])
45 South Main Street
PO Box 622
Robbinsville, NC 28771
Office (828)479-3352, Jail (828)479-8650, FAX (828)479-6599

Are you saying you know for sure it was reported?Yes, I know for sure it has been reported.

Tipi Walter
01-26-2008, 22:16
If I reported every abandoned camp I found over the years, I'd be snitching out for the most part the local boys to Forest Rangers and that's definitely not something I want to get in the habit of doing. When I see a tent or a tarp or an air mattress left on the trail or in camp, it's only a cause for concern due to the LITTER. As in, who's gonna hump this garbage out?

Kirby
01-26-2008, 22:33
I understand your angered over the situation, but it seems that Stumpknocker(I've never met him), handled the situation properly, and I assume some sort of investigation is pending. I believe the ATC is open 7 days a week (that may just be the summer), if not, give them a call Monday morning and express your concerns, and perhaps point them to the relevant trail journal entry regarding the situation you are concerned about.

Also, don't take L.Wolf to seriously, he just raises hell from time to time. Every time I have seen a simple question asked that has a a definitive answer, Wolf, has given it (Ex:I need a shuttle to Springer, any thoughts). Without some humor, this site would be (with respect to everyone around here), a little dull.

I will now leave my soap box, hope this helps,
Kirby

Purple
01-26-2008, 22:33
Thank you to the person(s) who have been nice enough to PM me and inform me that they too were concerned and indeed did call the authorities and gave me a number that I can call to follow up on so I can report back here to those that are concerned.
That was all I was asking. The way some of you responded you would think ... never mind ... it will just set you off again. I sincerely apologize to those of you who meant no disrespect to me with your comments I certainly did not mean any disrespect towards anyone, least of all Stumpknocker (I am sending him a PM to apologize and explain).... as for the rest of you ... I don't normally use this kind of language but since you said it to me first ... you can kiss my ***.

Lone Wolf
01-26-2008, 22:41
as for the rest of you ... I don't normally use this kind of language but since you said it to me first ... you can kiss my ***.

warraghiyagey
01-26-2008, 22:45
What a sweet old lady.:sun

Lilred
01-26-2008, 22:52
Man she sure can dish it out but doesn't want to take it herself. Good Grief..... Sounds like the pot callling the kettle black to me. Sorry I'm being so rude, but I don't take kindly to people coming on here, dishing it out, then saying 'how dare you' when it's given right back.

warraghiyagey
01-26-2008, 23:00
Man she sure can dish it out but doesn't want to take it herself. Good Grief..... Sounds like the pot callling the kettle black to me. Sorry I'm being so rude, but I don't take kindly to people coming on here, dishing it out, then saying 'how dare you' when it's given right back.
You're not being rude. You're reacting to someone's world-class negative energy. I tried to be diplomatic in post 5 but she wasn't having any of it.
She's probably just practicing for her new TV series "When Nutbags Go Bad."

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-26-2008, 23:03
We've had enough negative energy for one night.... Could we just let it go.

warraghiyagey
01-26-2008, 23:04
Quote removed
Goddam you Beater, I just cleaned this screen!!http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/laughing013.gif

warraghiyagey
01-26-2008, 23:05
We've had enough negative energy for one night.... Could we just let it go.
Sorry ma'am.:ohttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/ad/arms.gif

Purple
01-26-2008, 23:08
Well, it's quite obvious to me and everyone else that reads this that you don't know what the **** you're talking about.

Are you so computer illiterate that you can't do a search for the ATC phone number? You've got to come on here causing a commotion, belittling two of the best hiker friends a person could make? Making impassionate pleas for someone to please give you the phone number??? Well, it took me all of 5 seconds to do a search and find the phone number. here ya go

Phone: (304) 535-6331

Now, make the call if you're so concerned, and keep your trashing of hikers that are loved by many to yourself.
IF YOU HAD actually read my comments you would know I have already tried to contact several authorities but none were the right ones and each referred me to a different department. I really do not want to see my long distance bill for this. The number you give would get me no where either, it is a GEORGIA number NOT NORTH CAROLINA where the incident took place. What good would that do? And why would I call a # that someone did not give me the pertinent info on. Like what Dept the # belongs to. With the smart remarks I've gotten for all I know its the # to 1-800-eat-s**t . Thanks but no thanks. What is so hard and curtious about giving info to a person with a serious concern. As I said before the situation is a local NC legal matter nothing to do with the ATC.

As for computer literacy - well let's see - I build computers and program software - but anyone that IS computer literate knows that you can't always get the info you need in "5 seconds" Look at the time I started this thread - has it been "5 seconds" just because I'm a "newbie" to WB everyone decided I didn't deserve any respect or the kindness of a sincere answer to my quest. I thank the persons who did PM me and give me a little respect as a "newbie". If the hikers I offended (in your eyes) are so loving why did they not answer my IMPASSIONATE plea (except Stumpy - I know he is on the trail)- WHY DID YOU NOT ANSWER MY PLEA before now??? It was also totally-uncalled-for for you to curse me. I did not start this commotion as you call it ... the MEN in this thread took my words personally and attacked me as they do ALL the women hikers. Go back and read the first 4 or 5 entries, and get educated before you go off on someone.

Jan LiteShoe
01-26-2008, 23:09
Quote removed

Out of line, IMO.

warraghiyagey
01-26-2008, 23:10
I really do not want to see my long distance bill for this. .
You've got to be kidding me.

warraghiyagey
01-26-2008, 23:11
Out of line, IMO.
Agreed Jan, maybe in poor taste - But - have you had a looksy at what and how she's written here??

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-26-2008, 23:13
OK, folks. I'm speaking this time as a moderator. Knock off the name calling. Personal attacks are forbidden by the TOS of the site (http://whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=agreement)

Jan LiteShoe
I don't care for all the assumptions, but I don't care for name-calling either.

Skidsteer
Purple,
FD settled your concerns in post # 9 but you didn't hear it.

You got attacked 'cause you questioned Stumpknocker's character. There's plenty of pissed off misbehavin' already in this thread. If you let it go, it'll let go and you might make some new friends.

Your call.

Kara
Oh my.... I've stumbled into something. Not sure what's going on, but I hope everyone's okay. I think I'll move along to another thread (or forum or whatever you call it), but before I go I saw something about needing NC authorities' information. Here's a site I just found. It might help maybe...

http://www.the911site.com/911pd/northcarolina.shtml

Kara
01-26-2008, 23:16
BTW... just did a search for "North Carolina Authorities"

Purple
apology accepted

dessertrat
I thank the persons who did PM me and give me a little respect as a "newbie". If the hikers I offended (in your eyes) are so loving why did they not answer my IMPASSIONATE plea (except Stumpy - I know he is on the trail)- WHY DID YOU NOT ANSWER MY PLEA before now??
It was also totally-uncalled-for for you to curse me. I did not start this commotion as you call it ... the MEN in this thread took my words personally and attacked me as they do ALL the women hikers. Go back and read the first 4 or 5 entries, and get educated before you go off on someone.

I have never observed any of the men you are referring to attacking women hikers. I think this whole rant sounds a bit delusional. Men took it personally? Why would they? What possible "personal" affront could they take from it?

I don't try to tell the mods how to do things, but I would encourage someone to close this thread. This doesn't seem helpful to anyone at this point, and is going to result in nothing but hurt feelings.

bigmac_in
01-26-2008, 23:17
After reading this thread, I've begun to feel extremely guilty. 3 years ago I found a hand held GPS abandoned on the trail. Although I reported it here on Whiteblaze (looking for the owner), I neglected to call the "authorities". There may still be some poor lost sole out there. What should I do????

warraghiyagey
01-26-2008, 23:17
I have never observed any of the men you are referring to attacking women hikers. I think this whole rant sounds a bit delusional. Men took it personally? Why would they? What possible "personal" affront could they take from it?

I don't try to tell the mods how to do things, but I would encourage someone to close this thread. This doesn't seem helpful to anyone at this point, and is going to result in nothing but hurt feelings.
This thread was wrong from the get-go.

Purple
01-26-2008, 23:19
Sorry ma'am.:ohttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/ad/arms.gif
oops! I repeat Apology Accepted

Jan LiteShoe
01-26-2008, 23:21
Or Google "Irene Bryant" + Pisgah - several news stories give the numbers of authorities to call at the end.

For example, here's one: "The U.S. Forest Service and the Transylvania County Sheriff's Office are hoping these vehicles (designated with red arrows) will recognize them and call 862-3645. They are seeking possible witnesses in the murder of Irene Bryant and the disappearance of John Bryant."

From the Asheville paper (area code 828):
http://citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071119/NEWS01/71119084/1119

Kara
01-26-2008, 23:23
Did that website help? I would think that it should...looks like they have every NC authority listed just about. You could always email and save long distance fees.

Purple
01-26-2008, 23:24
Or Google "Irene Bryant" + Pisgah - several news stories give the numbers of authorities to call at the end.

For example, here's one: "The U.S. Forest Service and the Transylvania County Sheriff's Office are hoping these vehicles (designated with red arrows) will recognize them and call 862-3645. They are seeking possible witnesses in the murder of Irene Bryant and the disappearance of John Bryant."

From the Asheville paper (area code 828):
http://citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071119/NEWS01/71119084/1119
and pray tell WHY did you not say this to begin with instead of jumping on my case

bigmac_in
01-26-2008, 23:26
PEOPLE - take a breath. FD said it has been reported.

warraghiyagey
01-26-2008, 23:27
and pray tell WHY did you not say this to begin with instead of jumping on my case
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/ad/nerves.gif

Jan LiteShoe
01-26-2008, 23:29

Because it was your horse to ride.

Why not google what you needed?
Why ask someone else to do what you wanted done.

Kara
01-26-2008, 23:30
http://www.the911site.com/911pd/northcarolina.shtml

Well bigmac... maybe you could use the site then.. I spent a lot of time researching this and would like my efforts to not go to waste. I mean, it took 6 seconds... Surely there's a GPS authorities site listed... :D

warraghiyagey
01-26-2008, 23:31
And a well deserved lock on this thread in T minus 3 . . . 2 . . . ??:)

Purple
01-26-2008, 23:31
PLEASE read POST#22 !!! I acknowledge that the LEOs have been notified and I now who to call to follow up with this ... there is no reason to continue unless you just "wanna have fun"

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-26-2008, 23:32
This is going nowhere. Thread Closed.