PDA

View Full Version : As little as possible....

T-Dubs
01-26-2008, 22:21
That's how much planning I'm doing for my first long section. I've got my maps and guide book. Other than that, I plan to show up on Springer, walk until I get tired of it and then go on home.

After reading some of these posts dealing with the minutia in planning a good hike, I almost feel as though I'm doing something wrong. The operative word there is 'almost'. April 15-June 5 is my time frame. I expect a slow, leasurely walk with the occasionaly blue blaze; especially if water is scarce. Hope to see some of you out there--chances are you're gonna pass me by as I amble along the Trail but I hope we'll have a chance to say 'hello'.

If things work out as I hope, I'll do a SoBo Virginia hike from HF to Damascus in the Fall. (Sept 15- Nov 1). Retirement, and life in general, is good.

TWS

Pedaling Fool
01-26-2008, 22:28
I do it the opposite, I think I over-plan. This year I'm doing it more like you are, it just may be the best way to do it. I don't think you're doing anything wrong. Just go out and walk.

smaaax
01-27-2008, 00:13
That's the way to do it; theres always the outfitter 30 miles up the trail if you forget something.

bloodmountainman
01-27-2008, 00:21
I like your style! Good old fashioned walk-about!

fiddlehead
01-27-2008, 02:05
Yep! throw out the schedule when it's time to take that first step.

You'll have a lot more fun that way.

We show a scene from our Nepal video from 2004 where we burn the schedule and so many people have asked me what we are doing and why?
Of course we needed a schedule to plan how much food and what to put on our trekking permits, but once the walking started, we didn't want one.

That's been my philosophy. If you are locked into something, you (all too often) will miss some of the amazing opportunities that will come your way. Especially with backbacking. but in all of life really!

Nearly Normal
01-27-2008, 09:22
Sounds like you will actually "hike your own hike".
Wish more had that attitude.
Have fun.

Lone Wolf
01-27-2008, 09:33
That's how much planning I'm doing for my first long section. I've got my maps and guide book. Other than that, I plan to show up on Springer, walk until I get tired of it and then go on home.

hey, i've been doing that for years! welcome to the club. you'll have a blast

SlowLightTrek
01-27-2008, 09:39
I always envied the section hikers because they weren't on a schedule and seemed to be more carefree. It would be a great alternative but me I'm planning another long hike. Maybe someday I will focus on section or shorter trails all over the country. There are alot of nice places to hike.

rafe
01-27-2008, 09:49
I always envied the section hikers because they weren't on a schedule and seemed to be more carefree.

That's true as long as you don't really care when (or if) you finish the trail. ;) I was only able to finish last year by virtue of a four week sabbatical, and by hiking on a very tight schedule.

mudhead
01-27-2008, 12:13
Have fun T-Dubs.

I can overcomplicate a three day.

Your plan is a winner.

Terry7
01-27-2008, 14:03
I go out on the trail to spend the warm months living free. If I do 500 miles or 1500 it does not matter, its all about the time spent enjoying life.

Bob S
01-27-2008, 14:44
Schedules are for the work and business world, not time on the trail.

JAK
01-28-2008, 08:45
Just don't forget your matches or lighter. Sucks when you can't make tea.
All the other stuff ain't so bad as long as you can make tea. :)

Mrs Baggins
01-28-2008, 08:53
We planned for 4 years - - - and were off the trail in 6 days. After all that build up not only was it incredibly heart-breaking for us, we felt humiliated in front of our friends and family. This time I'm going out and just telling people that I'll see how far I get in two weeks - period. We did a 3 month long road trip (after we had to leave the trail) with NO schedule, no planned route, no reservations anywhere, only knowing that we were headed for Alaska. It was the best time we've ever had on a trip. We didn't even plan it to be 3 months - that's just how long it ended up being from Maryland to Alaska and back.

snowhoe
01-28-2008, 12:52
I wish I would have done it like that. Next time I think I might.

Cannibal
01-28-2008, 13:03
After about 9 months of planning, I threw my plans out. I'm going walking, not marching. You won't be alone out there; there will be lots of us with no plan other than walking north.

Blissful
01-28-2008, 14:05
We did some planning ahead of time out of necessity - I was hiking with my 16 yr old and with my meds, plus food, etc I needed to plan drops and the food we both would need, whether mail drop or the store so we would not run out. Much of the gear I tried out beforehand to see what worked but still ended up changing things as I went along. If you have basic necessities for survival, that's what counts to start off. What really went out the window for me is when I tried to plan a few days hike and where I would be. Never worked. You just never know how the day will go. But I did decide where we would spend the night each day. If you're by yourself, it doesn't matter what you eat, where you sleep. But with someone else, it's good to know where to meet up and to know there's food waiting at the end of a long day.

tazie
01-28-2008, 15:06

TWS

T-dubs, that's wonderful..and such a refreshing change from the "gotta do it as fast as I can..." mentality. Good luck, have fun and I hope you enjoy your journey.

lonehiker
01-28-2008, 15:52
I agree with your methodology. I will have maps (will have additional maps mailed) and one of the Thru-hikers handbooks with me. That and a copy of (ATBound?) excel spreadsheet based upon Mr. Tarlin's re-supply article. That is pretty much all of the planning I intend on doing. I have a listing of when I could be at key places based upon a 5 month trip. But, that will just be so that I can track my progress. (I don't have to be done in 5, but if I can it will give me time to knock off a few CO 14ers this fall as well!

snuffy smith
01-28-2008, 18:22
I've been planing for 10 years to thru hike the AT.Now that I'm leaving in about a month I've decided that my only plans are to have fun.