PDA

View Full Version : Suwannee area weather in March

fehchet
01-27-2008, 08:35
I'm doing a section there and wondered about temperatures, bugs, and stuff like that. Is there any data base on this? Or first hand knowledge? Thanks.

cannonball
01-27-2008, 09:16
When are you walking? Go to FTA web site they have a wealth of info. I love that section as you are walking the banks of the river and there are a few ups and downs.

fehchet
01-27-2008, 15:56
I'm starting around March 6.

Hammock Hanger
01-27-2008, 17:05
Great time to walk or paddle the Suwannee.

In this FL girls opinion.

max patch
01-27-2008, 17:45
I remember padding thru the Okie one year, starting the last day in Feb. Since it was cold in N GA we didn't even consider what the temps would be in FL. We didn't bring sunscreen and got burned to a crisp.

We did the 3 day trail every year for about 5 years.

We also paddled the Suannee one year. Nice flat water trip.

Hammock Hanger
01-27-2008, 18:54
I remember padding thru the Okie one year, starting the last day in Feb. Since it was cold in N GA we didn't even consider what the temps would be in FL. We didn't bring sunscreen and got burned to a crisp.

We did the 3 day trail every year for about 5 years.

We also paddled the Suannee one year. Nice flat water trip.
I love the Okefenokee. We have done the 3-4-5 day route. Unfortunately last spring the Bugaboo fire burned a lot of the camping platforms down. Currently aare only allowed one night, until things are rebuilt.

We like to go in March and Nov.

max patch
01-27-2008, 19:07
Unfortunately last spring the Bugaboo fire burned a lot of the camping platforms down.

I didn't know that!! I hope they get those rebuilt ASAP.

Hammock Hanger
01-27-2008, 19:44
I think they have or are going to have a group from Americorp in there.

Gray Blazer
01-28-2008, 10:26
I'm doing a section there and wondered about temperatures, bugs, and stuff like that. Is there any data base on this? Or first hand knowledge? Thanks.

I don't know about the data base and I'm not a psychic so I can't predict the weather for March. First hand knowlege I've got. I did a little research for you this weekend by hiking a little section near Live Oak. Pics are on my WB Photo Gallery. Gainesville, where I live has about the same temps as Suwanee Valley (SV is usually a little colder than G'ville). By March, summer may be here. You never know......we had a big freeze on April 1 before and we have had ice storms in Mar, too. If it does get down in the 30's you can usually expect a nice warmup over the next few days and clear weather. We have had monsoon weather in Mar, also. Be prepared. Check the weather ahead of time. March is usually the best time on the FT. Trees and plants are usually budding by Valentine's Day. The Bugs shouldn't be too bad by then. My grandson had ticks on him from the Trail, but he manages to get ticks all the time. There were lots of camping places between 129 and Devil's Mountain with at least one beautiful beach. The trail follows the bluff and has lots of mini ups and downs. The bluffs go from 20' to 100' at Devil's mountain. Enjoy your trip.

Gray Blazer
01-28-2008, 11:12
Here's a coupla pics from that section.

Gray Blazer
01-28-2008, 11:13
Whoops......check my WB gallery.

cannonball
01-28-2008, 11:25
I concure with HH, a lovely time of the year to hike that area.
White Springs to Suwannee area music park+ 1 of my faverite secs.:)

fehchet
01-28-2008, 16:06
Thanks for all the info folks.