PDA

View Full Version : New REI T1 and T2 tents for 2008

Rain Man
01-27-2008, 14:51
REI has come out with three really interesting tents for 2008. I have my sights set on a T2 for sure. These are re-designs of the recent Quarter Domes. I got in these tents yesterday at the Nashville REI and I really like the new pole design, which increases significantly the width of the headroom.

Here are links--
New T1 Quarter Dome (http://www.rei.com/product/761891)

New T2 Quarter Dome (http://www.rei.com/product/761893)

New T3 Quarter Dome (http://www.rei.com/product/761895)

The T1 (one man) is advertised to weigh 2 lbs. 12 oz. and lists for $179.00.

The T2 (two man) is advertised to weigh 3 lbs. 12 oz. and lists for $259.00.

The T3 (three man) is advertised to weigh 4 lbs. 7 oz. and lists for $289.00.

The innovative new pole design also is advertised to prevent rain from dripping into the tent when the rainfly door is unzipped.

Also, you can get a footprint and set up this tent with only the footprint and rainfly, to save weight when bugs are not a problem. The recent Quarter Domes did not allow that, though the original ones did, so this is a big retro improvement to me.

Even the color is an improvement, in my opinion.

I don't mind folks mentioning other tents' specifications for comparison, but if you want to launch a discussion of other brands' tents, feel free to start a new thread. This is a T1 and T2 thread only. Thanks!

Rain:sunMan

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-27-2008, 15:21
Interesting for sure - a free-standing, two man double wall tent with two doors and two vestibules weighing 4# 2ozs is impressive.

OhioNative
01-27-2008, 15:27
That T1 tent looks great! Unfortunately, a little too narrow for my chubby self. I had the same problem with the Hubba.

hurryinghoosier
01-27-2008, 18:15
There is a review in "Backpacker---gear for 2008" about these tents.

fonsie
01-27-2008, 18:27
I might get the 3 person one just to take out when I have my nephews with me. We can divide up the weight.

Rain Man
01-27-2008, 19:31
There is a review in "Backpacker---gear for 2008" about these tents.

So? What does it say???

hurryinghoosier
01-27-2008, 20:03
BACKPACKER REVIEW

REI Quarter Dome 1 TT. Stop surfing Craigslist for a tent steal. This is it: a freestanding, three-season shelter that weighs less than 3 pounds and costs less than two hundred bucks. Pitching is fast and simple the first time out, thanks to the color-coded setup and smart finger-pulls on the guylines that make tightening the fly a snap. The near-verticle walls and generous ceiling height (40 inches) mean a six-footer can sit up comfortably, and the large vestibule shelters pack, boots, and wet clothing. After a six-day trek through Olympic National Park, one tester reported sleeping dry every night despite strong winds and frequent, heavy rain. Two adjustable ventilation flaps and an all-mesh canopy also helped keep the tent free of condensation. Our only serious gripe: its narrow floorplan. "Lying on my back, my elbows were mashed up against the tent walls," reported one tester. $179; 2 lbs 12 oz.

REI Quarter Dome 2 TT. Welcome to Extreme Makeover: Tent Edition. This year's Quarter Dome has a new pole configuration taht creates more elbowroom and a higher ceiling than last year's version. Lots of mesh and two adjustable fly vents minimize condensation, dual vestibules each hold week's worth of gear, and weather resistance is as good as eer. Setup is simple the first time out: "I was able to assemble it alone, with a fading headlamp, in about six minutes," one tester said. Length is best for sub-six-footers. Bummer. The teardrop-shaped doors hang in the middle when open and can't be tied out of the way. $259; 3 lbs 12 oz.

BACKPACKER RATING OF 2008 TENTS
Best all around 1 person tent "Mountain Hardwear Stiletto", 2person tent "Big Agnes Cooper", 3 person tent "MSR Hutha Gubba", mountaineering "Nemo Moki"
Top Ultralight 1 person tent "Six Moon Design Wild Oasis", 2 person tent "Six Moon Design Lunar Duo", 3 person tent "GoLite Shangri-La 3", mountaineering "Marmot Alpinist"
Best Buy 1 person tent "REI Quarter Dome 1 TT", 2 person tent "Sierra Disigns Anu 2", 3 person tent "Kelty Gunnison 3.1" mountaineering "Sierra Disigns Stretch Tiros 2"

saimyoji
01-27-2008, 20:16

The weights you listed are for average minimum weights. This would be just the fly with footprint weight, not the full weight of tent, poles, fly and stakes. Still, a nice looking tent.

saimyoji
01-27-2008, 20:17
The weights you listed are for average minimum weights. This would be just the fly with footprint weight, not the full weight of tent, poles, fly and stakes. Still, a nice looking tent.

Meant to include that the T1 packed weight is 3 lbs 4 oz.

bulldog49
01-27-2008, 23:12

That 2 lb 12 oz weight includes fly, poles and tent body. Packed weight includes in addition the stakes, stuff sack and instructions that come with the tent.

envirodiver
01-29-2008, 14:28
I've been climbing in and out of them at the store and they are nice. Must say the T1 is too narrow to suit my taste, but the T2 rocks. Lightweight lots of ventilation, 2 doors, 2 vestibules. I guess I'll have to get one. That's just what I need is another tent.

Toolshed
01-29-2008, 14:47
Wow!! Less than 30 sqft for the T2? That's kinda tight for 2. I think if I were looking for another tent, I might just buy the SD Lightening for $148 and pocket $100here (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32268&highlight=lightning) I do think hands down, they are a much better built tent than anything REI can offer.

Hooch
01-29-2008, 15:03
....... I got in these tents yesterday at the Nashville REI..........Ok, as I understand it, does everyone on WhiteBlaze in Nashville work at REI? Is this some kind of requirement? :confused::D

envirodiver
01-29-2008, 15:17
Wow!! Less than 30 sqft for the T2? That's kinda tight for 2. I think if I were looking for another tent, I might just buy the SD Lightening for $148 and pocket $100here (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32268&highlight=lightning) I do think hands down, they are a much better built tent than anything REI can offer.

I have a SD Lightning and they are only 31 sq ft. so not much size difference. 1 door in the SD tent @ 9 sg. ft. 2 doors in the T2 w/ 6.7 sg.ft. vestibule for each. I do like SD tents, I've owned several. I do get a great deal on the REI tent and I like to get the new stuff and try it out. It's a sickness. Gear junkityss.

Ok, as I understand it, does everyone on WhiteBlaze in Nashville work at REI? Is this some kind of requirement? :confused::D

LOL...maybe, but anyone can come in and set-up any tent they are interested in, crawl around in it, I even found a woman taking a nap in a big car camping tent that had a cot and sleeping bag in it.

Toolshed
01-30-2008, 22:23
I have a SD Lightning and they are only 31 sq ft. so not much size difference. 1 door in the SD tent @ 9 sg. ft. 2 doors in the T2 w/ 6.7 sg.ft. vestibule for each. I do like SD tents, I've owned several. I do get a great deal on the REI tent and I like to get the new stuff and try it out. It's a sickness. Gear junkityss.

I spent a few years at EMS myself. Brothers of Affliction of GJ ;)
Thank goodness for Ebay, though (to sell stuff) !!!!!
Does REI allow Pro-Deals?

slow
01-30-2008, 22:37
REI has come out with three really interesting tents for 2008. I have my sights set on a T2 for sure. These are re-designs of the recent Quarter Domes. I got in these tents yesterday at the Nashville REI and I really like the new pole design, which increases significantly the width of the headroom.

Here are links--
New T1 Quarter Dome (http://www.rei.com/product/761891)

New T2 Quarter Dome (http://www.rei.com/product/761893)

New T3 Quarter Dome (http://www.rei.com/product/761895)

The T2 (two man) is advertised to weigh 3 lbs. 12 oz. and lists for $259.00.

The T3 (three man) is advertised to weigh 4 lbs. 7 oz. and lists for $289.00.

The innovative new pole design also is advertised to prevent rain from dripping into the tent when the rainfly door is unzipped.

Also, you can get a footprint and set up this tent with only the footprint and rainfly, to save weight when bugs are not a problem. The recent Quarter Domes did not allow that, though the original ones did, so this is a big retro improvement to me.

Even the color is an improvement, in my opinion.

I don't mind folks mentioning other tents' specifications for comparison, but if you want to launch a discussion of other brands' tents, feel free to start a new thread. This is a T1 and T2 thread only. Thanks!

Thank's for the heads up.
Have a q dome,h dome,bug hut,...and just great to see this from them.:)

Rain Man
01-31-2008, 11:19
Ok, as I understand it, does everyone on WhiteBlaze in Nashville work at REI? Is this some kind of requirement? :confused::D

Not me, sigh. But my daughter Grass does/did, till she transferred to Oregon, where she's now a full-time REI employee!

In my defense, I was an REI member for many years before any children came along and know my low-digit membership number by heart. I love impressing the cashiers by reciting it for them. LOL

BTW, I agree that the Quarter Dome 2-person tents are a tight fit, though I have been in mine twice with family members with no problem. The fact is, I use it as a roomy one-man tent.

Rain Man
02-01-2008, 16:50
BACKPACKER REVIEW .... The teardrop-shaped doors hang in the middle when open and can't be tied out of the way....

Actually, this isn't true. Perhaps it was a later design change, but these tents have a small pocket in the ceiling right above the door. When fully unzipped, the doors stuff neatly into these pockets, entirely out of the way.

glanton04
09-05-2008, 15:36
I bought the T1 a couple weeks ago. Plan to break it in on the Amicalola - Woody Gap section of the A.T. the 18-20 of September. Write back later to say how it went.

EMAN
09-06-2008, 22:49

Rain Man
09-07-2008, 08:15
Rainman-
I have one of the T2's I've used once. I would be most happy to sell it to you if you want. I will sell it to you for substantially less than the advertised retail price. I like it OK but I still have an original 1/4 Dome that I like better.

Sorry, but I have a T-2. Why don't you return it to REI if you are not happy with it?

Rain Man (not "rainman," who is another WBer)

Lyle
09-07-2008, 08:57
Actually, this isn't true. Perhaps it was a later design change, but these tents have a small pocket in the ceiling right above the door. When fully unzipped, the doors stuff neatly into these pockets, entirely out of the way.

When I saw that comment about the door I thought to myself, "there has to be a very simple fix for this". Glad they incorporated one.

Thanks for the heads-up Rain Man. I'm not in the market for a tent right now, but if I were, this would be very much in contention. My next purchase HAS to be a high-quality 15 or 20 degree bag! Been putting that off too long. :)

EMAN
09-07-2008, 19:56

Jason of the Woods
09-07-2008, 20:37
I have the three man quarter dome from last year and love it! I used it in every kind of weather and it never penetrated the tent. I am thinking of the two man for me now. I have a Hubba but it's just not very roomy.;(

Jason of the Woods
09-07-2008, 20:47
I'm curious what the difference is? It looks identical to the one that I have, only it's a two man.

Jason of the Woods
09-07-2008, 20:49
That T1 tent looks great! Unfortunately, a little too narrow for my chubby self. I had the same problem with the Hubba.
I have that problem with the Hubba and I wouldn't call myself chubby.

Rain Man
09-08-2008, 08:53
I don't hate the thing but I've mostly kept it around as a spare. Long story short, I got the tent quite by accident for way less than the advertised retail price. I just thought that if you were looking for one, I'd pass my savings on to you.

Okay, makes sense now. I know a new hiker just starting to get gear. I'll ask if she's interested in a T-2.

CherrypieScout
09-08-2008, 20:13
I'm going to "Hot 'lanta" soon. I will go to the REI store there and give them a look. Sounds like what I've been looking for. I'm 5'7" so I thing the size will be just right for me. Thanks for the information.

kauffee
09-30-2008, 02:12
Just a note on the height thing. I am 6'3 and have a T2 and I fit in it with plenty of room for my backpack next to me, albeit it snugly.

4Whatitis
10-11-2008, 17:08
I just received my T1 in the mail yesterday. First impressions while set up in my living room is it is truely a one person shelter. I am 5' 10" and weigh in at 155 lbs I find that it is a good for my size. The tent by itself seems the smallest but when I added my full length thermarest there were a few inches on the ends open. Laying flat inside I touched the tent very lightly with my shoulders but I could put my arms above my head as if hugging a pillow. This tent design does allow you to sit up with head room and sideways with an open door. The rain fly seems good and makes the tent feel much bigger and bright because of the colors used. With just the rain fly and foot print there seems to be plenty of room for a person and a pack in good weather if you don't mind bugs.
It weighs in at 3.6 lbs fully packed to include the footprint and set me back $178.47 total to include shipping. I am trying to go on the lighter side without feeling as if I am over compromising to much.

skinewmexico
10-12-2008, 01:08
I'm really pleased with my T3, but I only use it for 2 people. Replace the stakes and stuff sacks, and it weighs under 4 1/2#. Not UL like I wanted, but I do have a few comfort requirements.

Lyle
10-12-2008, 07:59
T1 is on sale now - 139.99

http://www.rei.com/product/761891