PDA

View Full Version : Stock up on Pringles

Doctari
01-27-2008, 14:54
I just read an article in the Wall Street that said that P & G (Known as "Proctor n God' in their home town) was considering dropping Pringles as being a "Slow growth product". Duracell batteries & Folgers Coffee were also mentioned as possibly being "on the block".

So far, this is only a "from an un-named source" rumor, but if you like to carry Pringles on your hikes as a tasty snack that is in a neat & sturdy container, it's something to keep an eye on.

FYI: Pringles are a double duty item; you can eat them, or start a fire with a Pringle or 2 as tinder. Yep, they burn :D

History lesson: Pringles were invented by Mr Fred Bauer, who still holds the patent on them. I think it was in 1956 that he invented them (& the can they come in) as a engineer / supervisor for P & G.

dessertrat
01-27-2008, 14:57
Dropping them, meaning stop making them, or selling off the brand? I can't believe they would stop making them, unless they are literally losing money on them. Ditto with Duracell batteries and folgers coffee.

max patch
01-27-2008, 15:02
They want to sell them to another company. They will still be around.

Montego
01-27-2008, 15:04
They want to sell them to another company. They will still be around.

OMG, don't tell me, McPringles? :eek::D

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-27-2008, 15:10
Don't several companies make the stacking chips now? Personally, I prefer crackers or the compact cheetos (which are also a good fire starter :D) as snacks while backpacking.

jesse
01-27-2008, 16:25
don't care for them on the trail. Peanuts, apples, and chocolate bars are my favorite snacks.

troglobil
01-28-2008, 08:59
They burn real good, just ask any arsonist about trailers.

johnny quest
01-28-2008, 17:30
i dont know any arsonists.....

Jaybird62
01-28-2008, 17:32
i dont know any arsonists.....
You don't say?!?!:eek::p

Two Speed
01-28-2008, 17:36
I lost the urge to eat potato chips, Doritos, Fritos, Pringles, etc when I found what good tinder they make. Something about that nasty, greasy smoke they emit while burning kinda turned me off.

I'll get my carbs from good beer, thank you very much.

Lanthar Mandragoran
01-29-2008, 17:32
As typical, managers toss out buzz words and have no idea what the financial ramifications are. Slow Growth =/= unprofitable.

The only thing that could be making pringles unprofitable is their forays into new crap... guess why everyone buys the same darn flavors (plain, cheez-ums, sour cream 'n onion, and pizza)? because pizza's the only GOOD flavor they've come up with after the triumvirate. they'd probably be more profitable if they stopped churning out crap flavors...

Miss Janet
01-29-2008, 18:42
"triumvirate"

Now THAT is a word that is hard to work into a conversation...

"...Do you plan to become a triumvirate crowner??

cowboy nichols
01-29-2008, 21:14
I had a friend that worked where they make Pringles-- after he discribed the process I couldn't even look at a can without my stomack turning ; I never ate or touch another one.

A-Train
01-29-2008, 21:28
This summer it became my ritual to pack a can of Pringles out of town on each resupply. Without fail I'd always eat the entire can on day 1 (along with my other snacks) and have a great garbage can for my other trash for the rest of the stretch to the next town.

Lanthar Mandragoran
01-29-2008, 22:37
"triumvirate"

Now THAT is a word that is hard to work into a conversation...

"...Do you plan to become a triumvirate crowner??

:D Products of a misspent youth. I read books while the other kids watched TV.

I had a friend that worked where they make Pringles-- after he discribed the process I couldn't even look at a can without my stomack turning ; I never ate or touch another one.

I think they featured the Pringles plant on Food Network or Discovery ("How It's Made")... I suspect they may have glossed over some details your friend was privy too...

This summer it became my ritual to pack a can of Pringles out of town on each resupply. Without fail I'd always eat the entire can on day 1 (along with my other snacks) and have a great garbage can for my other trash for the rest of the stretch to the next town.

So, now pringles are triple use? Sweet!