PDA

View Full Version : Sierra Designs Lightning - $148!

Summit
01-27-2008, 20:23
The price reduction did it! :) I just ordered one yesterday from altrec.com. Now I really can't wait for my spring hike with new:

1) Tent - Sierrra Designs Lightning
2) Komperdell C3 trekking poles
3) Big Agnes Air Coil mattress
4) Shoes - Merrill Moab Ventilator

I made reservations today with Mountain Harbour House to spend first night after drive up (US19E). They will shuttle me to Sam's Gap and 69.2 miles later I'll walk back to my car there! Planned dates are 4/18 - 4/26. Can't wait!!! :banana

shades of blue
01-27-2008, 20:31
You're going to really love that section! I especially love Unaka, Beauty spot, Roan Mt. to Doll Flats....awesome hike. Have fun!

mlkelley
01-27-2008, 20:52
I love my SD Lightning. Would love it more if i could have gotten it for that price.

Summit
01-27-2008, 23:17
I had been looking at tents like crazy for a couple of months and the Lightning was on the short list. A couple others under consideration were cheaper but heavier. When I saw that price I freaked. It instantly pushed the Lightning to the top of my short list and into the winner's circle! :)

I've been using an 11 lb. Eureka four-season three-man dome tent going mostly solo for the last 14 years. Dropping down to under 4 lbs is going to feel awesome. While I'll lose some "spread space" the Lightning should still provide plenty of room for me and my gear without having to use the vestibule (except maybe wet stuff after rain hiking). The Eureka is still in great shape (see my gallery), but I will only use it for non-solo hikes, car camping, or possibly winter hiking.

I ordered the "footprint" for it from another supplier for $27 (Retail is $35). For some reason, altrec didn't even have it.

tlw08
01-27-2008, 23:45
I love my SD Lightning. Would love it more if i could have gotten it for that price.

No kidding. Great tent though. Gonna use the fastpack version on my AT thru.

Toolshed
01-28-2008, 09:44
No kidding. Great tent though. Gonna use the fastpack version on my AT thru.
Great Price!!! I did hear there is a new model coming out. I am curious as to what it will look like, but a the time tested lightning for $148 is phenominal.

mudhead
01-28-2008, 11:51
Has anyone had zipper issues with this tent?

$148 is sweet. Bargain.

cannonball
01-28-2008, 13:08
Has anyone had zipper issues with this tent?

$148 is sweet. Bargain.
I have a SD lightning and think its a great tent for myself and one of my kids. You'll find that you have alot of room if you use it solo I promise.

Cuffs
01-28-2008, 13:15
Before graduating to a hammock, I had (and still have) a Lightning. Love it! No zipper issues.

I used Tyvek for a ground sheet and it worked great, saved some weight and cost over the footprint too...

Summit
01-28-2008, 19:28
Not to rub getting a great deal in, but I discovered the SD Lightning elsewhere for $4 less. Altrec has a guaranteed best price deal that if you send them the link of same product priced lower, they will match it plus 5% more off. I did and tonight they acknowledged that I'll be getting a $9.47 credit, making my SD Lightning cost to me $139 (rounded). From all the "I love this tent"s I'm hearing from you guys, I can't wait to try this baby out. I believe I've talked my two sons and my daughter's boyfriend into going on a weekend hike much sooner than my planned week-long April hike! :D

Summit
01-28-2008, 19:34
I used Tyvek for a ground sheet and it worked great, saved some weight and cost over the footprint too...Yeah, I've read here at WB of people doing that, but I like the "fastpack" idea with the footprint actually being kept in place and stretched out by the grommet corners, plus I'm thinking that with a little practice, if you need to set up your tent in a steady rain, you could set it up fastpack style, get inside and hook the tent in without it getting soaked. Thanks for the suggestion though. ;)

Cuffs
01-28-2008, 22:09
I am so excited for your bargain buy!

I bought the grommet kit from WalMart and added them to the tyvek... real cheap solution! Setup in rain with both fast pack and full tent can be accomplished. Practice at home first! (trust me on this!)

We expect a full report upon your return from your first trip!!

Anziano
04-28-2008, 00:51
Did that deal end? I see if for $232 at altrec.com. I was looking for a Big Agnes seedhouse sl2, or REI t2, but a lightning for around $150 would take the cake!

Nonny
04-28-2008, 06:23
Anziano -

Check out Sierra Trading Post.
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,29879_Sierra-Designs-Lightning-Tent-2-Person-3-Season.html
Their SD Lightning is $115.57 right now if you use a 20% off coupon code.
I believe that one of the current 20% off codes is 64310.
Fantastic deal!

Summit
04-28-2008, 06:38
Just got back from my first week-long 80-mile hike of the Foothills Trail this weekend, and the SD Lightning was pure joy. It's very light weight, simple to set up and take down, and provides all the protection from the weather (except extreme cold - thus it is not designed to be a 4-season tent) one needs. Great tent at a great price! I hope others can do even better! ;)