PDA

View Full Version : Best Phone & Service on AT

theanthonys
01-27-2008, 20:59
We are hiking NOBO beginning in late March and plan to keep an online journal. We are interested to know which service provider has the best reputation for reception along the trail and which phone has the best battery life and journal-friendly features. Please share your experiences.

Happy Trails,

The Anthonys

MyFeetHurt
01-27-2008, 21:40
I'm not sure, but it certainly is not T-Mobile. I carried my phone for the first month, and got no service at all, even at the road crossings and small towns. Used a calling card and pay phones the rest of the way.

I do recall some people having some success with Verizon though....

take-a-knee
01-27-2008, 21:46
There was a post on phone service a couple of months ago and, IIRC, Verizon was the champ and Sprint was the chump.

Patrickjd9
01-27-2008, 21:54
I've done well with Verizon on the trail between New Jersey and North Carolina. I have had issues with reception in parts of New York state (not on the AT, but not too far away).

Tennessee Viking
01-27-2008, 22:48
We are hiking NOBO beginning in late March and plan to keep an online journal. We are interested to know which service provider has the best reputation for reception along the trail and which phone has the best battery life and journal-friendly features. Please share your experiences.

Happy Trails,

The Anthonys
From the coverage maps, and my brother being a 911 project manager, Sprint and AT&T are not the best. Sprint and Cingular mainly stick to major highways in rural areas. But nothing in remote areas. I barely got a signal on Roan with Sprint. AT&T stops at Watauga Lake and doesn't pick up until Boone.

I had some good reception with prepaid Alltel, only problem is that it loves to roam in really remote areas. But I believe Alltel has no service around West Virginia and Maine.

I believe Verizon has total reception around the Smokies.

As for phones, Motorola has the best brand name phones. Pretty good battery life and reception.

For journaling, you might want something with a camera. And if one can encode audio.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-27-2008, 22:57
Verizon seems to be the best. Sprint has the worst coverage.

Cingular has issues with using it out of you normal calling area and may cut your service off in mid-hike for doing that. I really wouldn't suggest using them for a thru-hike.

Micky
01-27-2008, 23:25
PM Stumpknocker and see what he's using, he's been journaling and sending great pix with whatevev he's using.

rafe
01-27-2008, 23:41
Verizon worked well for me from MA to southern VA. Of course there were some places where I couldn't connect. Except for SNP, on most days, there was some place where I could.

bulldog49
01-27-2008, 23:47
I have AT&T, formerly Cingular, and have had good luck with reception from Springer to as far north as Bland. Haven't hiked any further north than that yet.

Cindy from Indy
01-28-2008, 10:07
So I'm trying to send Stumpknocker a PM or email and I guess, since he's out hiking, he's turned those options off.

Anyone know what device/phone provider he's using??

Cindy from Indy
01-28-2008, 10:08
I have AT&T, formerly Cingular, and have had good luck with reception from Springer to as far north as Bland. Haven't hiked any further north than that yet.

Where's 'Bland'?? :p

Thanks!

Lone Wolf
01-28-2008, 10:12
So I'm trying to send Stumpknocker a PM or email and I guess, since he's out hiking, he's turned those options off.

Anyone know what device/phone provider he's using??

http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=292776

Roots
01-28-2008, 10:16
I have Verizon and have never had a problem. Of course, their are spots that will drop, but I've never had to worry about it. The EnV phone is becoming a pretty big phone on the trail. I know Stumpknocker uses it and several other '08rs have them listed to take with them. It's got a great keyboard, camera, video, and phone--all in one and you can't beat it. My sister has had one for about 6 months and loves it.

CherrypieScout
01-28-2008, 10:20
I have ATT. Last summer between Black Horse Gap and Waynesboro, I had daily coverage from any hilltop. (North VA area)

Cindy from Indy
01-28-2008, 10:23
http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=292776

Thanks LoneWolf :D

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-28-2008, 10:59
I have ATT. Last summer between Black Horse Gap and Waynesboro, I had daily coverage from any hilltop. (North VA area)ATT / Cingular is OK for section hikers, but they have a history of dropping people who call from outside of their home calling area for months on end -- not a good choice for thru-hikers.

ARambler
01-28-2008, 11:21
ATT / Cingular is OK for section hikers, but they have a history of dropping people who call from outside of their home calling area for months on end -- not a good choice for thru-hikers.

I've heard this rumor back in the 90's about multiple providers. Two posts doesn't make it more accurate, just more vicious.

I did 2 thru hikes, at least 3 months in the west, trips to US Virgin islands (but not British Virgin islands) ... and did not loose service. I haven't even heard of this problem in the last couple years.

Furthermore, it is unnecessary to spread bad-negative information about ATT. Their service is significantly worse than Verizon. (There is a better service than Verizon in Damascus. Unfortunately, I think it is Sprint which is struggling and not likely to rise to the top.)
Rambler

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-28-2008, 11:26
I've heard this rumor back in the 90's about multiple providers. Two posts doesn't make it more accurate, just more vicious.

I did 2 thru hikes, at least 3 months in the west, trips to US Virgin islands (but not British Virgin islands) ... and did not loose service. I haven't even heard of this problem in the last couple years.

Furthermore, it is unnecessary to spread bad-negative information about ATT. Their service is significantly worse than Verizon. (There is a better service than Verizon in Damascus. Unfortunately, I think it is Sprint which is struggling and not likely to rise to the top.)
Ramblerhttp://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=29669

Kirby
01-28-2008, 14:54
Sprint is pathetic, I got a signal 15 miles into the wilderness, and that's it. Funny thing though, on top of Whitecap I had perfect roaming coverage, but could not make a call.

Kirby

fehchet
01-28-2008, 15:47
Earthlink works great for me.