PDA

View Full Version : Pump Solution for Big Agnes Dual Core Air Mattress

Summit
01-28-2008, 10:44
Having just bought, but not used yet, this mattress, I do not want to damage the inside insulation with moisture from my breath, nor have to top off blowing it up a couple of times due to temperature contraction of the air, let alone get a head ache from blowing it up.

I'm looking at the Big Agnes Pumphouse (new) and the Exped Pillow Pump. I don't really need another dry sack, while using the Exped pillow pump as a pillow along with my cushy Columbia jacket liner in a dry sack might make an excellent pillow. So I'm leaning toward the Exped. So what are suggestions/solutions being used by others?

cannonball
01-28-2008, 11:13
haveing used a big A aircore matress I found all the talk off blowing it up manually to be a form of sniveling. The time and effort are well worth the comfort. Don't by the pump- the weight and price are'nt worth it.
If one has climbed over 2-3,000 ft they certianly can blow something up. As far as moisture, I don't think there is much of an issue there.

Summit
01-28-2008, 12:24
Don't by the pump- the weight and price are'nt worth it.The solutions I'm looking at:

Exped Pillow Pump - 4.2 oz. - $18.95
Big Agnes Pumphouse - 1.5 oz. - $19.95

I consider either of those weights and prices well worth avoiding a headache, having to top off my mattress' fill two or three times, and possible damage over time to the interior insulation. Since both have alternate uses (stuff sack / pillow) that makes the weight trade-off even more of a mute point, IMHO. ;)

Summit
01-28-2008, 12:26
even more of a mute point, IMHO. ;)Where's my English today? Make that "moot point." :p:o

cannonball
01-28-2008, 12:47
If your point were "mute" you would have nothing to say:eek:

Frosty
01-28-2008, 16:48
Having just bought, but not used yet, this mattress,

I consider either of those weights and prices well worth avoiding a headache, having to top off my mattress' fill two or three times, You really need to use this mattress once before investing in a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

You don't top off an air mattress during the night. You let air out as your body heat warms it and makes it firmer.

What makes you think you will get a headache from inflating your Big Agnes? You'll be breathing a lot deeper going up Albert than you will blowing up a mattress.

Blow it up once. Start with 20 puffs of air. It will feel horribly underinflated, but lay on it with your entire body. Voila. If your hip just touches the floor, it is perfect. As you mattress gets firmer during night, your hip will come off the floor. If you need an extra puff or two, or less, you will discover that as you go along and will adjust.

To take advantage of the deep cushion of a Big Agnes, don't have it so firm that it only deflects a half inch as you lay on it. You can buy a lighter pa for a half inch. To get the full comfortable dflection, start with you hip/butt just touching the floor.

Summit
01-28-2008, 19:23
If your point were "mute" you would have nothing to say:eek:That pretty well sums me up! :D

wrongway_08
01-28-2008, 19:42
Dont buy the pump, not worth it, you wont mess up the insulation.
The AirCore only takes a minute or so to blow up.
The money/weight and bulk could be spent for more usefull gear. Plus it is just one more thing to look after and repack every day.

Then again, if it makes you feel better go for it, the pumps do work. Its your hike.

Summit
01-28-2008, 19:49
I see where REI carries the Exped Pillow Pump. I think I'll swing by there in the next day or three and see if they will let me play with it and an Agnes DAC mattress. If the pump action is good and easy and it feels like added value in making a pillow (I'd want to combine it with my silky/fluffy Columbia jacket liner in a dry sack) I just might get it. I appreciate others' opinions about not needing it, but there is "need" and there is "convenience," and some of us old foggies lean toward convenience fairly often! :) And I still don't like the idea of exposing the interior insulation to the moisture in my breath repeatedly.

ChinMusic
01-28-2008, 19:51
I've tried blowing it up right when I got to camp, when I'm breathing heavily anyway. It was a theory that did not work well in practice.........:D

It takes awhile to blow up but it's worth it. IMO don't get the pump.

hbower
01-28-2008, 20:07
I have the Exped Pillow Pump. I bought it to use with my BA pad. I wanted something easier than getting light-headed blowing the pad up myself. It has its drawbacks, in my opinion. It takes a while to fully inflate pad (anywhere from 60-90 pumps) The reason for the diference is that while hiking I keep the pump in its stuff sack and it takes a while for it to regain all of its loft. The less loft, the more pumps. Right now I am just blowing the pad up as I seem to have lost the little rubber connector that attaches to the BA valve. Without this the pump is useless. I think I could find a piece of hose similiar to the same size to cut off and use though. As far as using it as a pillow, it works, but I think a stuff sack w/clothes, or just a small lightweight camp pillow would do just as good, and a lot cheaper. In my opinion, a good idea, but not real practical.

Summit
01-28-2008, 20:31
Thanks for that feedback hbower! Hmmm, someone stated that the BA Pumphouse only takes about 6 open/seal/compressions to pump up a mattress, and it only weighs 1.5 oz. Might be the better way to go, or maybe I'll just try blowing it up on my first hike, but I do get light headed blowing it up here at home and a slight headache. Decisions, decisions. :-?

Summit
01-28-2008, 20:35
If anyone isn't familiar with the "Pumphouse," as it is a new product, you can peek at it here - 4th post:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32265