PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol scene at Fontana?

DesertMTB
01-28-2008, 11:37
Is there a general store at Fontana to buy beer and/or bar?

Also, is Fontana Village far from the trail?

Lone Wolf
01-28-2008, 11:40
yes beer. 2 miles

Lion King
01-28-2008, 11:48
The Marina now sells beer and wine as well, so when you step off the trail into that parking lot before that nice little 1.5 surprise climb, you can relax first.

Lone Wolf
01-28-2008, 11:51
The Marina now sells beer and wine as well, so when you step off the trail into that parking lot before that nice little 1.5 surprise climb, you can relax first.

it's only a mile to the Hilton. and a real blue-blazer would take the road to it which is shorter :)

DesertMTB
01-28-2008, 11:59
Right on. Thanks for the info. I won't worry about hauling some brews from the NOC.

Lone Wolf
01-28-2008, 12:07
Right on. Thanks for the info. I won't worry about hauling some brews from the NOC.

DO NOT drink at The Hilton shelter or anywhere on TVA property. Strictly forbidden

DesertMTB
01-28-2008, 12:24
Thanks for the heads up. I can't afford a fine. What does TVA stand for?

Lone Wolf
01-28-2008, 12:25
Thanks for the heads up. I can't afford a fine. What does TVA stand for?

http://www.tva.gov/

DesertMTB
01-28-2008, 12:28
Oh, ok. They are the power company.

Pedaling Fool
01-28-2008, 12:29
DO NOT drink at The Hilton shelter or anywhere on TVA property. Strictly forbidden
Oh, now you tell me:D

Pokey2006
01-28-2008, 12:52
Drink at the resort, then take the shuttle back to the Hilton when you're done. Just be sure to set up your tent before you go (if you're tenting). Learned that one the hard way, by trying to set up my tent after, er, imbibing.

cannonball
01-28-2008, 13:45
Notice how L Wolf knows all about the drinking thing:)

Newb
01-28-2008, 14:27

Do NOT be CAUGHT or SEEN drinking ....:D

Lone Wolf
01-28-2008, 14:28
Notice how L Wolf knows all about the drinking thing:)

i've only been doing the trail 21 years so i know a few rules

ScottP
01-28-2008, 16:04

Hikertrash

cannonball
01-28-2008, 17:03
This is true. Your wealth of AT knowledge is encyclapidia like. Could'nt resist the "booze shot":D

Kirby
01-28-2008, 19:34
I would most likely request, where applicable, for drinking not to happen, IMO, it ruins the trail.

Go to town if you want to drink, not a shelter/campsite.

In fact, I would most likely pack up and camp somewhere else.

Kirby

Lone Wolf
01-28-2008, 19:38
I would most likely request, where applicable, for drinking not to happen, IMO, it ruins the trail.

Kirby

a couple of adult beverages around a campfire while on the trail ruins nothing. you're gonna see a lot of that. most of the drunken BS happens in towns

Jack Tarlin
01-28-2008, 19:56
I have actually been present when the Hilton shelter was "raided" by local law enforcement (they were county, and not TVA, and technically, they probably had no jurisdiction).

Several hikers had their packs turned inside out, and a drug dog was turned loose on people's packs and sleeping bags.

One hiker was cited for drug possession.

Now that there is beer closer to the Trail, and now that Rangers and TVA police know that there's a greater likelihood of people bringing beer to the
Hilton shelter, this shelter will probably see MORE patrols and evening visits in 2008. In short, Wolf is right. If you want to party, this is not a wise place to do it.

Appalachian Tater
01-28-2008, 19:56

Kirby

You're going to be better off not staying near shelters if you want to avoid drugs and drug users and drug addicts. There's a good deal of alcohol and marijuana use on the trail.

Kirby
01-28-2008, 20:11
You're going to be better off not staying near shelters if you want to avoid drugs and drug users and drug addicts. There's a good deal of alcohol and marijuana use on the trail.

Which is upsetting, but something I suppose I will need to learn how to deal with, and fast.

Kirby

Skidsteer
01-28-2008, 20:13
Which is upsetting, but something I suppose I will need to learn how to deal with, and fast.

Kirby

It is what it is, like life in general.

Hold to your convictions, judge not, and be happy.

Doctari
01-28-2008, 21:44

AND: the TVA police DO CHECK, at all hours Day & Night. 3:00 AM for me, fortunatly I wasn't drinking, sadly I was sound asleep.

The fine can seriously cut into your hiking budget.

Appalachian Tater
01-28-2008, 21:50

Kirby

"No, thank you" usually does the trick if you're offered something you don't want.

Bearpaw
01-28-2008, 22:10
Jack, was this incident in '99?

I have actually been present when the Hilton shelter was "raided" by local law enforcement (they were county, and not TVA, and technically, they probably had no jurisdiction).

Several hikers had their packs turned inside out, and a drug dog was turned loose on people's packs and sleeping bags.

Now that there is beer closer to the Trail, and now that Rangers and TVA police know that there's a greater likelihood of people bringing beer to the
Hilton shelter, this shelter will probably see MORE patrols and evening visits in 2008. In short, Wolf is right. If you want to party, this is not a wise place to do it.

spittinpigeon
01-28-2008, 22:47

lol, drug addicts. You're more likely to find hiking addicts than drug addicts.

whitelightning
01-28-2008, 23:15
Jack's right about law enforcement raiding the Hilton. The only time I stayed there was about 4 yrs ago. A friend and I stayed there after mtn biking in Tsali. We'd brought a cooler of soda and hot dogs for trail magic to any hikers who might be there. Turned out, nobody was there except us that night. About the time we were trying to go to sleep, some law enforcement men came by and hassled us. Nothing serious, but they just asked us questions about our car and what we had in our cooler. When my friend used the term "trail magic", they didn't know what that meant and seemed more suspicious. We had to explain that concept to them. We didn't have any drugs or alcohol. It was a strange experience.

88BlueGT
01-28-2008, 23:23
Trail magic.... they probably thought you had ruck full of angel dust or something lol

Appalachian Tater
01-28-2008, 23:27
lol, drug addicts. You're more likely to find hiking addicts than drug addicts.

There certainly are plenty of alcoholics and some of them are surprisingly young.

My only problem with alcohol use is that it causes some people to behave poorly.

4eyedbuzzard
01-28-2008, 23:28
Might well be a situation of concurrent jurisdiction.

In short, Wolf is right. If you want to party, this is not a wise place to do it.
Sounds like pretty good advice.

Patrickjd9
01-29-2008, 00:27
Jack's right about law enforcement raiding the Hilton.
I walked by this shelter (just to look) on my last section hike. I wasn't comfortable with being so close to the road, but didn't realize it was the cops I had to be concerned about.:-?

DesertMTB
01-29-2008, 09:23

Kirby

Sorry, but there are no laws prohibiting me from drinking in the woods.

DesertMTB
01-29-2008, 09:25

I think we will hike on and skip the Hilton.

Lone Wolf
01-29-2008, 09:26
good idea.

BigDaddy99
01-29-2008, 10:05
There certainly are plenty of alcoholics and some of them are surprisingly young.

My only problem with alcohol use is that it causes some people to behave poorly.

Hence why I quit 3 1/2 years ago.

Flush2wice
01-29-2008, 10:24
It's not just "drinking at the shelter" that is banned. Possession of alcohol on TVA property is banned. I got busted there because I had an unopened traveler in my truck while I was walking from the parking lot to the shelter.

spittinpigeon
01-29-2008, 13:32

Ya, and sometimes it causes people to become hilarious. People behave poorly with or without alcohol. Was Hilton wasted when he murdered that girl?

spittinpigeon
01-29-2008, 13:32
Hence why I quit 3 1/2 years ago.

Lol, keep telling yourself that.

clured
01-29-2008, 13:37

Kirby

Kirby:

I wouldn't worry about this. I think the amount of drugs/alcohol on the trail is a little overstated; it's certainly there, but by no means in your face. I think in large part it is a matter of who you hang with, and it will be very clear from the start who's of the substance-abuse persuasion. I pretty much stayed to myself, and I saw pot twice and liquor 3-4 times on the whole hike.

Skuter
01-29-2008, 13:40
Take a flask. It leaves no trace.

Heater
01-29-2008, 13:59

Kirby

You have led such a sheltered life... but this is different. ;)

BigDaddy99
01-29-2008, 14:02
creme de menthe

you drink that crap?

and ffs gimme a call dude or pm me your #.

Lion King
01-29-2008, 14:05
it's only a mile to the Hilton. and a real blue-blazer would take the road to it which is shorter :)

You're preachin' to the choir!!:D

I say that for all the purists who wouldn't want to miss that climb.

Once in 98' was enough for me,

Lion King
01-29-2008, 14:07

You can drink at the hotel which still is really cheap and right in the village, as long as you dont monkeyass around and get hikers banished from the Inn.

Lone Wolf
01-29-2008, 14:10
You can drink at the hotel which still is really cheap and right in the village, as long as you dont monkeyass around and get hikers banished from the Inn.

won't be long...

envirodiver
01-29-2008, 14:17
Is it all TVA properties that ban alchohol or just the Hilton? That doesn't extend to the lake does it? I've seen a lot of alchohol on and around the lake.

MOWGLI
01-29-2008, 15:00

They are pouring millions into the resort. I wouldn't expect the place to stay "really cheap" much longer.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-29-2008, 21:44
Reminder: Encouraging illegal drug use and pictures of illegal drug use are prohibited by the terms of service at this site. Those have been removed. Some additional posts were removed because they asked what was pictured or being discussed (collateral damage)

Appalachian Tater
01-29-2008, 22:42
People behave poorly with or without alcohol.

Lol, keep telling yourself that.

Your second post proves your first one true.

warren doyle
01-30-2008, 09:44
I consider the approximately one mile of wnite-blazed trail between Rt. 28 and Fontana Dam Shelter to be a pleasant footway with some views of Fontana Lake through the pine trees. The ascents and descents are relatively mild.

Kirby, if you avoid shelters, known campsites and hostels you should be able to limit your encounters with partiers. You probably will be able to walk yourself into groups of people whose behavior is more to your liking.

Wise Old Owl
01-30-2008, 10:25
It's not just "drinking at the shelter" that is banned. Possession of alcohol on TVA property is banned. I got busted there because I had an unopened traveler in my truck while I was walking from the parking lot to the shelter.

So what happened when you said "I got busted" just a simple conviscation? or more...

spittinpigeon
01-30-2008, 11:30
Your second post proves your first one true.

You know, life shouldn't be boring and mundane, I feel sorry for you. But then again, I can't tell you how to live, and vice versa.

Appalachian Tater
01-30-2008, 13:26
You know, life shouldn't be boring and mundane, I feel sorry for you. But then again, I can't tell you how to live, and vice versa.You know nothing about me except that I don't like drunks who are nasty or loud and people who make nasty remarks to someone who decided to stop using a drug.

Your presumptions and conclusions are incorrect and odd.