PDA

View Full Version : Raffle

attroll
01-02-2004, 04:30
Here a a serious topic. Former Easy has offered to give us a $125 gift certificate to be raffled off. We both have come up with some ideas. But I would like to here from some of you on ideas on how we should raffle this off.

We don't want to raffle this off to everyone that is registered on WhiteBlaze do to the fact that we have some people that have logged on only once and never returned. We would like to somehow make this for active users. But how active should the user be to be put in the raffle?

---More to come-->

MedicineMan
01-02-2004, 05:41
hmmmmm, is that active hiking or active on the board?

Uncle Wayne
01-02-2004, 07:07
Just include the ones who ordered patches. :D

DebW
01-02-2004, 09:54
You've got number of posts stats on everyone. Could use that. Then Chris would win (or have the highest probability anyway).

illininagel
01-02-2004, 10:23
You've got number of posts stats on everyone. Could use that. Then Chris would win (or have the highest probability anyway).

I don't know if you really want to reward the number of posts in the raffle. That might encourage people to start increasing their postings without as much consideration for the quality of the post.

Rather than just "giving the money away," I would suggest using it in one of two ways---for marketing or for a fundraiser. As a fundraiser, you could issue one chance per AT Patch ordered. Or, you could offer to sell the certificate for a discount and use the proceeds to help offset some of the expenses on the site. Or, you could sell the certificate on eBay and use the proceeds to help support this site.

Of course, I would make sure that Former Easy is OK with how this certificate is ultimately used. After all, it's a result of his generous donation.

I don't know if the gift certificate(s) come in smaller denominations, but if they do, perhaps you could spread the wealth by issuing 5 $25 certificates.

attroll
01-02-2004, 14:07
Illininagel

You are exactly correct. I did not want to do it as a reward for the amount of post like you said it would encourage people to post just to get there name in the raffle. Like you said it would it would change the quality of post. I did not want that. But that was the only thing we came up with at the time. But it would not have been for the person with the most post.

Our idea was to pick a number for the amount of post and pick everyone with that amount of post and higher and put there name in a hat and drawer from the hat. But that is not for sure yet. That was why I was asking for suggestions

As for using it for a fund raiser. From what Former Easy has told me it is already allotted from one company I believe for $125. I don’t remember which one it is. But I could be wrong.

I have been emailing with Former Easy back and forth a little on this and of course I will make sure he is OK with what ever it does get used for. I have not received it yet. I need to decide on how it is going to get done and then send him my address and he said he will send it to me. I am sure he will.

jlb2012
01-02-2004, 14:11
AT Troll - how about just setting up a poll - those that respond positively to the poll are entered; those who respond negatively to the poll are excluded and those that do not select either choice in the poll are excluded.

Jack Tarlin
01-02-2004, 14:25
My two cents:

First off, the raffle idea is a good one and it's very nice of Easy to have donated the prize.

As for participants, if the whole idea of this is to raise funds, presumably for the Website or other worthy causes, then it seems to me to be a mistake to limit the participants. I think ANYONE who's a member here should be able to take part in this if they want to, and here's why:

*Obviously, the more participants, the more succesful the fund-raising will be;limiting the participants limits the fund-raising, too!

*It's an error to "punish" or stigmatize folks because they haven't posted enough times

*It's an equal error to "reward" other folks for frequent postings; not all of the frequent posters, myself included, always have something to say that's worth reading; in many cases, we don't. So frequency of posting doesn't necessarily translate into something that should be rewarded!

*I've read some great comments here at Whiteblaze that were sent in by folks who very rarely contribute, in fact some of the best things I've seen here have been by folks who chose mainly to read and "listen" rather than speak up.

*On any Internet Forum like this, there will ALWAYS be folks who are here primarily to read and learn, and for various reasons, many of them don't post; maybe they have nothing to say; maybe they feel unconfortable because they're "new" to backpacking; maybe they'd just rather sit back and follow the threads rather than start them or contribute to them. In any case, this is fine by me, and I think it'd be a mistake to have special events and opportunities that are limited to those who post a certain number of times; to me, this would seem to reward the unworthy, and more important, it'd be unfair to our hundreds of members who observed the good Lord's object lesson when he provided us with one mouth, but with two ears----in some cases, in fact many cases, listening to dialogues and conversations is far more beneficial than taking part in them.

I suggest that ANY Whiteblaze member who wants to should be able to participate in this event, and if the prize is ultimately won by somebody who's posted 3 times......well so what? The idea is to have fun and raise some money, and it's immaterial to me who wins, or how often they visit here.

attroll
01-02-2004, 15:02
Yes you have a very good point Jack. The idea was not to make this a fund raiser. But now that it was meantioned I think that is a good idea. But now what do you all think would be a good idea on how to turn this into a fund raiser if that is something Former Easy is willing to do? I need to get with him on this though. He is the one donating it to WhiteBlaze.

Miss Janet
01-02-2004, 16:10
Hey guys, I am on this site every day... I read everything... I just do not post very often. I bet there are lots of us out here! Make it a contest or something then the winner can donate the 125$ to Whiteblaze to help with the cost of running this site! :p

attroll
01-02-2004, 20:20
I think Former Easy already has a gift certificate. So that can not work Miss Janet. The gift certificate is for $125 to a outdoor sporting company. I don't know which one. So the winner could not donate it to WhiteBlaze. It is already set in stone I believe so you have to spend it at the place.

Any other ideas?

illininagel
01-03-2004, 01:24
I think Former Easy already has a gift certificate. So that can not work Miss Janet. The gift certificate is for $125 to a outdoor sporting company. I don't know which one. So the winner could not donate it to WhiteBlaze. It is already set in stone I believe so you have to spend it at the place.

Any other ideas?

Why not auction the gift certificate off on a thread in this forum? The winning bidder will submit a check to you and then you would mail the certificate. You could then use the cash as a donation to this site.

I would suggest having a specified beginning and end date and time for the auction. And, maybe start if off at $50 or so.

Just a thought...

texashiker
01-03-2004, 08:49
Originally Posted by illiniagel
Why not auction the gift certificate off on a thread in this forum? The winning bidder will submit a check to you and then you would mail the certificate. You could then use the cash as a donation to this site.

I like your idea but I have a twist to it. Why not sell raffle tickets for like $10 or $20 and the people have to have their money into you by a certain date. Then, the raffle begins. The person that wins gets the certificate. The people that lose feel good because their chances (money) went to this website!

highway
01-03-2004, 09:37
Originally Posted by texashiker
I like your idea but I have a twist to it. Why not sell raffle tickets for like $10 or $20 and the people have to have their money into you by a certain date.
The raffle idea is great! But another twist: lower the raffle ticket so that many more may participate or even buy numerous tickets for more chances at the prize. The unit value is lower but you should make more on increased sales volume; it will also draw in those who perhaps think $10-$20 to high. Also, make it low enough and we can send the CASH :D in an envelope for our raffle tickets. I suggest we make each ticket at about $2.00-$5.00!

Let's see....2000 members and if only 25% participate with one $2.00 ticket will yield a gross income of $1000 :jump

It want be enough to make Attroll toss aside his GI pension check but it certainly would help with compensation for all his hard work. That was a great idea, the raffle.

Mr. Clean
01-03-2004, 13:51
I was thinking of picking a number, say 10,000 or whatever, and the first poster hitting that post number would get it, but this wouldn't raise any $, so I think I like the idea of the $5.00 raffle. Just my two cents.

illininagel
01-03-2004, 14:04
I think the raffle idea, provided that the entry fee is reasonable (no more than $5) has more potential to raise funds than my earlier auction idea.

Jack Tarlin
01-03-2004, 16:41
I think the 5$ raffle idea is a very good one, and I think it could definitely raise some money for the website; one other possible idea.....there's another thread on Whiteblaze in regards to "giving back" to the Trail and how we can do it. Perhaps a percentage of the raffle funds (say $1 from each ticket) could go to the A.T.C., the organization that takes such good care of the Trail for all of us. I can't think of a better way to give back to the Trail than by helping this organization, which does its job primarily thru the efforts of volunteers and charitable donations.

Just an idea........

sakkit
01-03-2004, 19:44
I like the raffle idea. I'm new to hiking and backpacking. This forum will come in handy for me. And five dollars sounds reasonable.

Sakkit :p

attroll
01-03-2004, 20:11
I will have to email or talk to Former Easy about this raffle idea and make sure he agrees with it since he is the one with the gift certificate. But what do you think of this idea.

$6 gets you a WhiteBlaze patch and one raffle ticket. Only one ticket per user. For those that have a patch already they just need to send $1 to get back in on the raffle.

brian
01-03-2004, 20:23
How about giving each person the chance to tell who he\she thinks deserves the prize, and it cant be them. I know of a person who I think deserves it. Someone should set up an account that people can PM with the person they think should get the $125 in the subject line.

Brian

Hikerhead
01-03-2004, 21:02
I don't think it should be a popularity contest. I've won too many of those all ready.

I like ATtrolls idea.