PDA

View Full Version : The Appalachian Trail: Calling me back to the hills

Uncle Wayne
01-02-2004, 07:48
We got one of these for Christmas and have really enjoyed it. Excellent photography and the story taken from Earl Shaffer's journal of his 1998 thru hike. A little history of the trail, Earl's journal accounts and several selections of his poetry make it a very enjoyable read. A little pricy, around $30, but worth it imo and it makes a good "coffee table" book.

Hikerhead
01-02-2004, 11:21
We got one of these for Christmas and have really enjoyed it. Excellent photography and the story taken from Earl Shaffer's journal of his 1998 thru hike. A little history of the trail, Earl's journal accounts and several selections of his poetry make it a very enjoyable read. A little pricy, around $30, but worth it imo and it makes a good "coffee table" book.

I have this also and I agree with you, it is a nice book with some awesome pictures.

Kerosene
01-02-2004, 15:01
My wife gave me this book for Christmas, and I've spent several hours just perusing and dreaming at my local coffee shop on my days off. I would have liked to have seen more pictures from various sections of the Trail, but the included pictures are beautiful and Earl's trail notes are fun.

Riprap
02-03-2004, 15:42
If you go to the Earl Shaffer web site (maintained, I think, by his brother), you can still get copies of "Walking With Spring," Earl's book about his 1948 hike. It's then great to read "Calling Me Back to the Hills" and see his impressions 50 years later!

Both books are fantastic...and there's no way you can look through "Calling..." and not get the urge to put the pack on your back and go...

Riprap