PDA

View Full Version : UL Espresso Maker ???

headchange4u
01-28-2008, 16:29
I was reading an article in a backpacking magazine (I can't remember which one) and there was a blurb from TV's Survivorman, Les Stroud. He was talking about some of the luxury items that he carries while camping. Mentioned an Espresso maker that you used with a camp fire that only weighed 3-4 oz.

I know REI sells an Espresso maker that weighs about 7oz and works with a stove, but does anyone know about this "3oz espresso maker"?

Bob S
01-28-2008, 17:47
I was reading an article in a backpacking magazine (I can't remember which one) and there was a blurb from TV's Survivorman, Les Stroud. He was talking about some of the luxury items that he carries while camping. Mentioned an Espresso maker that you used with a camp fire that only weighed 3-4 oz.

I know REI sells an Espresso maker that weighs about 7oz and works with a stove, but does anyone know about this "3oz espresso maker"?

I don’t drink coffee so I’m not sure how they work, but GSI makes them.

I just looked, they make several here is the address http://www.gsioutdoors.com/list.aspx?c=5&sc2=9 (http://www.gsioutdoors.com/list.aspx?c=5&sc2=9)

headchange4u
01-28-2008, 17:55
That's the one that REI sells, which is listed on the REI site at 7.5oz and the GSI site for 8.5oz?????

Bob S
01-28-2008, 17:59
I never checked the weight as I don’t drink coffee, I have GSI in my bookmarks as I like the quality of their stuff and use a lot of it.

If they have a web address for Survivor Man, maybe you can go there and see if they have a listing for the items he uses. Or if they allow you to search their site, or if that doesn’t work, e-mail them and ask.

hammock engineer
01-28-2008, 18:20
Great now I am going to start with esspresso. One of these days I swear my heart is going to explode. Wait, my coffee is just done brewing.

headchange4u
01-28-2008, 20:13
Okay. I found the article in the new Backpacker 2008 Gear Guide, page 18.

He says:

People think that because I'm Survivorman, it means I'm Mr. Rough-it.'you don't need a tent! You don't need food.' But when I'm not on the show, I like my creature comforts. My latest, and this is a little embarrassing, is a little espresso maker that you put over the fire. It weighs a couple of ounces.

Bob S
01-28-2008, 20:18
Okay. I found the article in the new Backpacker 2008 Gear Guide, page 18.

He says:
People think that because I'm Survivorman, it means I'm Mr. Rough-it.'you don't need a tent! You don't need food.' But when I'm not on the show, I like my creature comforts. My latest, and this is a little embarrassing, is a little espresso maker that you put over the fire. It weighs a couple of ounces.

It may be one of the GSI ones. He really doesn’t say what the weight is. A couple of ounces could be 7 or 8 oz. I noticed that the local Cabalas had one when I was there a few weeks ago, if you have a Cabalas store close to you, take a look at them to see if you like it.

Lanthar Mandragoran
01-29-2008, 17:02
Er... yeah, I'm not convinced that Survivorman would have measured it very precisely, I'm betting it's the GSI one (the smallest ones I've ever seen).

Lanthar Mandragoran
01-29-2008, 17:05
PS - rumor has it that the Aeropress (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/9051/index.html) is nearly as like and turns out a better espresso as it uses mechanical pressure (as all good espresso machines do) rather than boiling...

big_muddy
01-29-2008, 17:18
I have the Aeropress and it makes the best cup of coffee I've ever tasted. Not a good thing to lug about on a long trip, but for a short weekend it is great. The best part is that cleanup is a snap, or I should say a push.

Lanthar Mandragoran
01-29-2008, 17:32
er... that should have been nearly as lite... doh!

Kerosene
01-29-2008, 18:27
It weighs a couple of ounces.Right up there with, "It weighs next to nothing" in my book...worthless.

Dingus Khan
01-30-2008, 07:04
My brother has (thanks to me) the GSI espresso maker. Feels A LOT heavier than 7- 8 oz. I do not have access to it so I can't verify it's exact weight; I do remember thinking "what a heavy little bugger!!!"............

Until I had some espresso.... very tasty and very fast. I think he was able to make 3 cups before my stove heated up water for oatmeal (approx 4 mins) using his MSR pocketrocket. It only makes one shot at a time and it's a strong one. If you don't mind reusing, the grounds can be used for weak cowboy coffee when done.

For longer trails, look into a french press of some type - much lighter and if used properly you can make almost-as-strong espresso, it will just take a tad more grounds.

headchange4u
01-30-2008, 11:38
There are a couple of different sizes of GSI Espresso makers, including stainless steel and an aluminum model. You brother may have the stainless.

Lanthar Mandragoran
01-30-2008, 12:44
There are a couple of different sizes of GSI Espresso makers, including stainless steel and an aluminum model. You brother may have the stainless.

Probably the 4-Cup as well... EXPRESSO MAKERS (http://www.gsioutdoors.com/list.aspx?c=5&sc2=9)

headchange4u
01-30-2008, 12:55
I've been reading up on the Aeropress in the link in post #9. I think that it would be the best choice if it came down to it or the GSI. They both weigh ~8oz, which is still a little heavy IMHO, but I think that the plastic Aeropress would hold up better on the trail. I also bet you could trim some of the excess plastic off the Aeropress to reduce weight. I have read that there are problems with the spout on the GSI models.

It also looks like you could make a DIY version of the Aeropress if you could find something to make the seal. PVC might be a good candidate.

BTW there's a video (http://www.aerobie.com/Products/videos/Aeropress.wmv) of the Aeropress in use on the website.

Dingus Khan
01-30-2008, 21:14
he has the stainless 1 cupper...

aeropress looks great!! i'd love to see a diyer make a one-cup version that nests nicely with a walmart grease pot :-?

hehe let the fun begin!

oops56
01-30-2008, 22:10
Here some of mine the small ones when thay say i cup its not 8 oz. it a expresso cup i think 1-1/2 oz.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/oops62/stoves%202/th_espresso2.jpg (http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/oops62/stoves%202/espresso2.jpg)

headchange4u
02-13-2008, 23:08
Are those all GSI models oops56?

BTW,

I order one of the Aeropress espresso makers from Ebay for 26.99 w/ free shipping. I tried it out tonight and was VERY VERY VERY impressed on the quality of espresso it made. It was really easy to use and clean up was super fast. Also makes coffee.

The bare minimum that you would have to carry on the trail weighed in at 7.8oz and includes the end cap, 1 paper filter (reusable), plunger and chamber. I also made my wife a latte and she thought it was great.

It's a great little unit and I can see that I will get a lot of use from it. Probably take it to work with me in the morning.