PDA

View Full Version : Here's a topic---DIY pee funnel?

desdemona
01-28-2008, 19:11
Here's a topic!! But here's the deal--I think it might be even worse peeing sitting down in the desert than on the AT. (At least you have a chance of not sitting in something really painful. ) But at least you would get it that I have never liked the whole idea of squatting to pee. For one thign it is messy. I read the archive and came up with the idea that one can stand up, but this takes some practice and control.

My hikes are by no means backpacks, but are getting longer.
I am planning to go out half day again next weekend. Eventually I'm sure I'll work up to all day. It means its getting inevitable.

I have seen these things you can buy that are basically, well, funnels. But the concept seems simple enough. Prices range from $12-26 with shipping. I don't know why it can't be diy.

I tried my own version today, uh er, practicing standing. I think there are flaws in it. Anyone see one online? Or have a good idea here? I tried doing a websearch and you get, uh,er, interesting sites.

BTW, my idea consisted of a piece of heavy cardstock shaped as a triangle and rounded up towards the top. The cardstock isn't too environmentally
friendly, but I have an idea if I get a working concept. It splashed
on feet but I'm not sure you can avoid this in the shower.

--des

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-28-2008, 19:31
SaniFresh Freshette (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39277920)
Lady J (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=13827)
Unisex Travel John (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=49571)

quasarr
01-28-2008, 19:45
you don't have to sit on anything, just squat. pull your pants down to your knees so you don't pee on them!

I can see the advantage of a funnel for nighttime though, so you don't get so cold

Blissful
01-28-2008, 21:37
I took a freshette on a hike and prompty lost the funnel part in the fog on the first night (it fell off). Never used it again. :)

AlwaysHiking
01-28-2008, 21:57
I tried the freshette once, and honestly I found it way more awkward than squatting. The best 'seat in the house' is three trees in a triangle. Back against one, and one foot each on the other two trees. It keeps everything up and outta the way of the 'splash'.

The only benefit to a freshette type contraption I can see is if it's really really cold out, but I didn't really like the idea of packing it around for sanitary reasons. Are there any environmentally friendly disposable versions of this out there?

quasarr
01-28-2008, 21:59
just realized I missed the part where desdemona said that squatting can be messy. how so? I have never splashed myself yet! :p

Boudin
01-29-2008, 00:02
Interesting thread. After 30 days on trail, my wife decided to learn how to do it standing up. Within just a few days had had the hang of it. Leave one foot on ground slightly outside of shoulder line while standing approximately 3 feet from a tree. Place the other foot about 2 and a half feet up the trunk of the tree.

The first couple of times you will need to rinse your socks, but you'll be neat after just a few more times. No funnel necessary.

For those of you starting a thru hike and learning this skill as you go, be careful...your trail name could be Yellow Socks!!!

Good Luck

desdemona
01-29-2008, 00:23
Interesting thread. After 30 days on trail, my wife decided to learn how to do it standing up. Within just a few days had had the hang of it. Leave one foot on ground slightly outside of shoulder line while standing approximately 3 feet from a tree. Place the other foot about 2 and a half feet up the trunk of the tree.

The first couple of times you will need to rinse your socks, but you'll be neat after just a few more times. No funnel necessary.

For those of you starting a thru hike and learning this skill as you go, be careful...your trail name could be Yellow Socks!!!

Good Luck

Yellow socks!!:D
I just liked this one so well, I am quoting it. But actually... I have seen a lot of devices. Yes, some of them are not so small and carrying them is an issue. (Sanitary and otherwise, esp. on a long hike.) I also feel that the concept is so simple that I shouldn't have to pay $10-20 for it. It's just a triangular type thing. Some have little hoses on them, to point where you want.

As for learning how to do this, without, perhaps I have not given myself the time to get the hang of it. NO WAY would I try to learn this outside the shower!!

OTOH, young man, your wife seems a brave woman to learn this on the trail or else didn't mind washing out socks!! However, you gave forth a useful description of this "skill".

I also think the type of outfit might matter. Winter hiking I wear elastic band everything including long johns.

As for squatting. Nothing much I want my butt to get that close to. As I said the trails I go on are perhaps full of more cacti and so forth than yours are. But I have heard of people getting a butt full of goat heads. (sharp prickly little devils.) NASTY!!

--des

River Runner
01-29-2008, 01:04
Here is a new product on the market that is supposed to be anti-bacterial and hydrophobic so that santitation isn't an issue:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/whiz_freedom.html

Haven't tried it myself, and I'm not sure I will since I don't normally have a splash problem.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-29-2008, 09:18
Thank you for posting the new product, River Runner. It appears to be made of silicon and that would be Ideal for sanitation and ease of use (Hard, cold plastic on the lady place is no fun.....) It would also be unbreakable, have no parts that could be lost and fold up or compress. I like the look of this product.

Before any says 'just squat' - I have a bum leg and am physically unable to squat without assistance. When I must squat (over a cathole), I find a large, slanting tree and hold on to it above with one arm. Being able to avoid that procedure to pee would be very liberating for me. YMMV

tazie
01-29-2008, 10:56
Here is a new product on the market that is supposed to be anti-bacterial and hydrophobic so that santitation isn't an issue:

Haven't tried it myself, and I'm not sure I will since I don't normally have a splash problem.

I like it! As a frequent squatter(looks around and hope no one's watching) this would be very handy. thanks for the link.

AlwaysHiking
01-29-2008, 11:00
Whiz Freedom, now there's a product I'd consider. Thanks River Runner for that link.

Dino, as to the squatting thing, have you ever tried sitting far back on a rock or log? You just have to be back far enough so the appropriate area is free and clear of whatever object you're sitting on. It's way more comfortable than relying on knees or any other part of the legs to support you. The other technique is to sit/lean against a large bolder and let the stream flow down the face of it. No splash that way and if the bolder is large enough, you're practically standing upright so no strain on the legs.

I've got ligament problems and my knees are known to just go out on me and I've had to take the time to find inventive ways to do what I gotta do cuz that would be a very bad time for my knees to go out!

wakapak
01-29-2008, 11:12
Wow...wish I knew about some of these products before my first thru!! I eventually learned how to pee without squatting much and still able to have my pack on (yes, i got lazy in a sort of way while out hiking everyday!). Some days I could pee standing up,and other days it, um, it didn't work so well!! Although, I do think squatting helped build my thigh muscles!! I can see though, if one has a problem with knees or leg that squatting is out of the question!!!
Thanks for all the info everyone! Now I know what to look into before i go on an extended hike again!! :)

tazie
01-29-2008, 11:16
Thank you for posting the new product, River Runner. It appears to be made of silicon and that would be Ideal for sanitation and ease of use (Hard, cold plastic on the lady place is no fun.....) It would also be unbreakable, have no parts that could be lost and fold up or compress. I like the look of this product.

FD, can I tell my joke about why men pee standing up and women don't? It's clean, but oh-so-funny...Still, I'll ask permission from you so I don't get my toes bit..:)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-29-2008, 11:27
Tazie, go for it if it's clean....

dixicritter
01-29-2008, 11:45

Yep count me in the group that's been looking for a product like this. With my RA, squatting is becoming more and more out of the question. Have tried FD's approach of holding onto a tree... let's just say that doesn't go very well. LOL.

Hanging my rear off a log works alright until time to try and haul myself back up. :o So I think this product would be a good thing to try out for me.

Thanks for the link!!

Boose
01-29-2008, 11:50
All right, I know you'll wonder how I came across this site... but I swear I was innocently searching for "pee funnels"!
http://www.ftmguide.org/bathroom.html#stp has directions for making funnels from coffee can lids or plastic medicine dosage spoons. I haven't tried any of these, so use at your own risk!

AlwaysHiking
01-29-2008, 11:55
All right, I know you'll wonder how I came across this site... but I swear I was innocently searching for "pee funnels"!
http://www.ftmguide.org/bathroom.html#stp has directions for making funnels from coffee can lids or plastic medicine dosage spoons. I haven't tried any of these, so use at your own risk!

I had no idea there were so many options out there... wow.

AlwaysHiking
01-29-2008, 12:18
hey desdemona, maybe you can use this product to get some DIY ideas: http://pee-zees.tripod.com/index.html

Obsidian
01-29-2008, 12:36
the whole idea of carrying something I peed in just doesn't seem kosher to me. Just practice learning to pee standing up it's an amazing skill to have

desdemona
01-29-2008, 15:52
Well this is turning into quite an interesting thread, but I guess the word pee in any thread would add some interest.

The Whiz freedom looks great actually, and NOT something I could make. The idea of it drying by itself is very appealing. So good find!

Thanks to someone for the diy thread. As I said I actually came up with an idea, not sure how it would work.

The idea of peeing on rocks is somehting I hadn't considered. (Most are on a bit of an elevation though...) Now that might work around here. We have a lot of those. But perfect trees? Well this time of year at the elevation I climb is limited to stuff like pinon and juniper, which wouldn't work too well.

As for one's "personal skills"-- seems you have to have some coordination.

BTW, doing a websearch has been, er, interesting.... Not altogehter things I would show my mom, let's just say (if she were still here. :-( )
Though since she just died this year, I know that she would be routing me on. (Hey stand up, des -- if that was my real name, which it isn't.);)

--des

Purple
01-30-2008, 03:51
Try these -but be warned about that Wiz Freedom "funnel" thingy (I do like the color) - I saw the same exact thing at the Fred's Dept Store in the automotive dept -its a "transmission fluid funnel" and only cost $1 -

http://www.freshette.com/index.html

http://outersports.com/urinelle-p-1481.html

tazie
01-30-2008, 11:36
God was putting the finishing touches on Adam and Eve.
"Ok", He said, "I've got only two things left so I'll let you two choose."
"What'cha got?" asked Adam.
"The first is the ability to pee standing up..." and before God could go on Adam's hand shot up.
"Oh, oh! I'll take that! I want that, yessir, that's for me God, please!!" he said excitedly.
"Fine," God replied. He turned to Eve with a smile.
"Eve, you get multiple orga*ms. :)

dixicritter
01-30-2008, 11:37
LMAO... I love it!!!

Creek Dancer
01-30-2008, 12:04
I agree. I don't want to carry something like a pee funnel. First of all, you would have to wash it often to prevent odor. Secondly, if I carried one, I wouldn't carry it on the outside of my pack - it would be inside my pack. On the trail, I would have to take off my pack to get it out. At that point, what is the point of carrying the thing. Too much bother. I would just squat and move on.

dixicritter
01-30-2008, 12:59
Some of us don't have the "just squat" option available to us though, so a product like this is necessary. Just saying.

Creek Dancer
01-30-2008, 13:02
I realize that. I was just posting my thoughts on what I would choose. Sorry to butt in.

dixicritter
01-30-2008, 13:04
No don't be sorry. You're thoughts were fine. :)

desdemona
01-30-2008, 23:58
Try these -but be warned about that Wiz Freedom "funnel" thingy (I do like the color) - I saw the same exact thing at the Fred's Dept Store in the automotive dept -its a "transmission fluid funnel" and only cost $1 -

http://www.freshette.com/index.html

http://outersports.com/urinelle-p-1481.html

The funnel idea is the same (actually might check this out), but I think part of the beauty of this particular piece is that it: can pack smashed and it resists being wet. So you are basically packing a dry item. Mind you that I *still* would put it in a bag or something. It isn't something I want next to my granola bar!!

OTOH, for a day hiker-- this little urinelle looks easy enough as a diy. I don't care for the idea of throwing things out after each use. But I would hope that that actually isn't all that often on a day hike! It would be easy to pack and easy to pack out.

I don't feel squatting is a great option in my case, and I haven't proven too trainable for the standing thing. :o

LOL! On the Eve story. That splains everything!!

--des

River Runner
01-31-2008, 01:08

Interesting - shaped the same way? The Wiz Freedom seems to have an anatomical shape at the top. This transmission fluid funnel had the same shape?

River Runner
01-31-2008, 01:44
Here is a link that shows the 'Urinelle' a little better:

http://www.urinelle.biz/html/en/About.shtml

Click on the 'how to use' at the top right for more information, and diagrams.

Purple
01-31-2008, 02:51
River Runner - Yes, the automotive funnel was as I said "identicle" in size and shape, anatomical too. I thought at the time it was an odd shape for a transmission funnel, but did not associate it with the Wiz Funnel until I followed the link posted in this thread and saw one for the 1st time. I got to thinking about it so I did an automotive search on the funnels at Fred's and was unable to find one like it. I think I will go check them out again because I do not remember them having any stickers on them saying what they were. They were just hanging on a rack, a dozen or so, stuffed inside each other and the only indication as to what they were was a very small sign 1"x2" at the top of the rack with the price and the words "transmission fluid funnel". It might be that they ARE the Wiz Freedom Funnel and when the store got them in, they did not know that they aren't transmission funnels. They would have come in to the store for the automotive dept because they are for "travel". I'll check it out. I might buy one, take a pic and post it here for everyone to check out.

Personally I like the Freshette with the disposible bags and the 36" tube and carry case. You could use the long tube to write your name in the snow like the guys do [joking .... or not!] or use it in your "shelter" at night and dispose of it the next morning and not have to go wandering around in the dark at night. Heck the guys could use it too. All though I bet they use soda bottles in the tents at night ... I know they do when traveling on the road .... I even bet all of them at one time or the other has forgotten to open the window or poured it on themselves, or the person next to them, when trying to toss the bottle out the car window. Grant it they were probably very young and following Daddy's instructions or "under the influence" but I still bet every one them has done it. I know you guys are reading this and ROTFLYAO!

Mrs Baggins
01-31-2008, 08:13
just realized I missed the part where desdemona said that squatting can be messy. how so? I have never splashed myself yet! :p

I've taken squatting "bush wees" in New Zealand, Australia, England, Wales, Guatemala, Chile, and Argentina as well as 22 states and 3 Canadian provinces. It's never been a problem and I've yet to "wee" on myself. The biggest problem was finding privacy. I'd rather squat in the pitch dark somewhere away from my tent (and others) than trudge down a dark path to a dark privy, even with a head lamp.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-31-2008, 09:08
I made a foray to several auto supply places. The transmission funnel is shaped like the Wizz freedom. The only difference is the Wizz is made of medical grade silicon and the auto part is made of hard plastic. The Wizz Freedom is made in England and is an allowable prescription item for those with mobility issues in that country.

desdemona
01-31-2008, 16:59
I made a foray to several auto supply places. The transmission funnel is shaped like the Wizz freedom. The only difference is the Wizz is made of medical grade silicon and the auto part is made of hard plastic. The Wizz Freedom is made in England and is an allowable prescription item for those with mobility issues in that country.

I actually don't think that's so serious an issue (re: the medical grade thing). The idea of a water resistant thing is nice but for $18 difference I coudl settle! The medical grade woudl be really important if you had serious medical issues like spina bifida. These folks have very serious frequent and even life threatening bladder and urinary tract infections. Washing thoroughly between trips shoudl be good enough. The hand cleaner type spray might be very good, fast, and kill odors. The alcohol would help dry it out rapidly. But I am still not putting it up against granola bars. One other thing is that this is a hard plastic vs something that can be bunched up. I dont' know for $18 I can deal with that too. :-) BTW, urine is sterile. I know it doesn't actually smell great, but it is sterile in healthy people. Not that I am recommending this but some cultures drink their urine. EW!!

I can't believe that the auto transmission thing is actually "anatomically female shaped"!! :) Perhaps the makers of this item were a little bored! LOL!!!

--des

Purple
02-01-2008, 15:42
I actually don't think that's so serious an issue (re: the medical grade thing). The idea of a water resistant thing is nice but for $18 difference I coudl settle! The medical grade woudl be really important if you had serious medical issues like spina bifida. These folks have very serious frequent and even life threatening bladder and urinary tract infections. Washing thoroughly between trips shoudl be good enough. The hand cleaner type spray might be very good, fast, and kill odors. The alcohol would help dry it out rapidly. But I am still not putting it up against granola bars. One other thing is that this is a hard plastic vs something that can be bunched up. I dont' know for $18 I can deal with that too. :-) BTW, urine is sterile. I know it doesn't actually smell great, but it is sterile in healthy people. Not that I am recommending this but some cultures drink their urine. EW!!

I can't believe that the auto transmission thing is actually "anatomically female shaped"!! :) Perhaps the makers of this item were a little bored! LOL!!!

--des
I am glad I am not the only one with this opinion ... After looking at it again I decided to buy a couple. I got to thinking - (gotta be careful here "thinking" gets me in trouble a lot) about the 'medical grade' Wiz - I don't care how hydrophobic they claim the Wiz is, if it is "soft and flexible" it is "porous" - IMO. Which means bacteria build up and liquid retention. I have been in the hospital several times and gotten infections from "medical grade" apparatus because they DO retain bacteria. Although there is a comfort facture. They also have a short life span. On the trail it would be use several times a day, everyday for several months. I don't the Wiz would last a month. At $18-$25 per unit I think I would rather have one that does NOT hold or soakup fluid (if transmission fluid won't stick to it urine isn't going to). I think the flexible Wiz would stay collapsed and have to be reshaped every time before you use it. The ads for it do not say that, but think about, everything we STUFF into our packs is going to be crushed. If it is soft it will stick to itself and any damp or closed up, when stored in a hot, dark area like our packs, builds bacteria fast, even us. Ladies you know what I mean. MEN don't ask! With the hard plastic funnel just run about an eigth a cup of water thru it after use, or use your hand sanitizer or alcohol (not denatured) pat dry and stick it in the pack. It is not going to collapse unless you sit on it, then you may get an extra "crack" instead of the funnel cracking. Before re-use just wipe off the the edges that will touch you again.

Some refining will be needed with the automotive funnel .... smoothing, rounding and sanding of the hard edges. 1000/1500 grit "automotive metal sand paper" would work. You certainly do not need scratches. It would take only a double sheet of toilet paper or your pee rag to blot yourself dry and to dry the edge after use. I do not recommend using the edge of either funnel to dry yourself. One sratch and your done for. You could make a custom dry sac to pack it in or if your brave use a ziplock or even braver just stuff in the corner of your pack ..... maybe not.

Tell you what, I will be the guinea pig and let you know how it works .... anyone else care to experiment with this idea?? or have another opinion?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-01-2008, 16:10
My Wizz Freedom arrived today - excellent product. It is made of a substance similar to the silicon baking pans now available. It can be squashed down and pops back into shape when released. Because the material is flexible, it conforms to the contour of you body to form a tight fit that prevents leakage. The tube part is ends in a small rectangle - it can handle considerably more flow than the transmission funnels I saw. The tube is flexible enough to do some 'aiming' if needed. I was able to pee in the toilet standing up using only one hand. I was also able to pee by unzipping my jeans and moving my underpants aside - a real plus if some situations - and did not have any leakage at all.

warraghiyagey
02-01-2008, 16:11
The tube is flexible enough to do some 'aiming' if needed..
Snow art??

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-01-2008, 16:22
Below are the directions that come with the Wizz Funnel. I figured they might come in handy for those planning to use the transmission funnels:
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/WizzFreedom.jpg

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-01-2008, 16:23
Snow art??Pee on inquisitive fellows :D

warraghiyagey
02-01-2008, 16:32
Pee on inquisitive fellows :D
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/ad/hiding.gif

bfitz
02-01-2008, 17:00
The title of this thread was so interesting I had to read it... I dunno how well it would work for ladies, but if I lean my back or backpack up against a tree it will kinda support me in a near sitting position even if I'm not sitting on anything. If you bend your knees a little and support your back against a wall, put your hands on your hips and lean you'll see what i mean. That eliminates the need for squatting, and especially if you're a kilt or skirt wearer you're pretty much set, I would imagine. I usually do #2 in the woods this way.

warraghiyagey
02-01-2008, 17:03
Doesn't count for those of us with built-in funnels.http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/laughing021.gif

Purple
02-01-2008, 21:38
Ok this is what you will be looking for. The FloFunnel Multi-purpose Flow Tool from Fred's Discount Store. Appropriate name. It works great! Use it in the same way that FD posted the instructions. It aims more away from your feet than the Wiz does so stand so the end of the funnel is just inside the front edge of the seat the 1st time, then you can adjust the distance next time. I like the firmness of the funnel because you don't have to worry about it slipping or have to hold it in place. I did have to shake it like the fellows do and be sure you are done before removing it.:rolleyes: having a piece of tissue or pee rag ready before using makes it easy. I rinsed it with just an eigth cup water and patted it dry after a swift shake to empty the tube part. It is just the right size IMO to nest comfortably between the legs without pinching or binding. I am 5'9" 180 lbs. A much smaller woman may not find it as comfortable, but I think someone larger than me would be very comfortable and easy to use. You don't have to "see" it to adjust it so even a pregnant woman could use it. It is rigid so it goes and stays where you put it. It has a loop on the backside (it's & yours) so you could hang it from your pack if you feel a little brazen. Unless some guy listening in tells them different you can always say its a fuel funnel to any one that asks .... you would not be lying;).

:bse to the guys listening in .... I apologize to all the men I have cursed when they wet the seat. Those last dribbles are hard to aim.
BUT THAT DOES NOT STOP YOU FROM WIPING THE SEAT WHEN YOU ARE DONE! :clap

Did I yell that loud enough ladies?

tazie
02-01-2008, 22:11
Ok this is what you will be looking for. The FloFunnel Multi-purpose Flow Tool from Fred's Discount Store. Appropriate name. It works great! Use it in the same way that FD posted the instructions. Unless some guy listening in tells them different you can always say its a fuel funnel to any one that asks .... you would not be lying;).

:bse to the guys listening in .... I apologize to all the men I have cursed when they wet the seat. Those last dribbles are hard to aim.

Loud and clear Purple. Where's Fred's Discount Store? Sounds easy enough to use, and I do so appreciate the info. Thank you!
I hearby dub you, Ms Queen Sweet "Pee" ! :)

Purple
02-02-2008, 00:33
FD, let us know if there are any problems with smell build up or visible bacteria or any other unpleasant occurrences with the Wiz Funnel. You know the manufacturers are not going to tell us. I will experiment with different conditions for the FloFunnel and keep everyone informed on it also.

Purple
02-02-2008, 01:01
Loud and clear Purple. Where's Fred's Discount Store? Sounds easy enough to use, and I do so appreciate the info. Thank you!
OH! NO! :eek: ya'll just forget ya'll heard that - that is NOT going to be my trailname. LOL

I'm PURPLE, ya'll hear that .... PURPLE:D

Here is the link to Freds Discount Store Locator - looks like it is not available in the Mid Atlantic and New England states- sorry
http://www.fredsinc.com/buyersspecials/ncs/storelocator/storelocator.html
maybe it can be found at a locale auto supply store in ya'lls neck of the woods??

I'm trying to figure out how to do a hose/reservoir thingy so I don't have to leave the tent at night to WEEEEEE! If I come up with something I'll let ya'll now ... yes, I have a heavy southern accent.:rolleyes:

warraghiyagey
02-02-2008, 01:34
OH! NO! :eek: ya'll just forget ya'll heard that - that is NOT going to be my trailname. LOL

I'm PURPLE, ya'll hear that .... PURPLE:D
:rolleyes:
Hiiiiii Sweeeeet Peeee!!

:p:p

desdemona
02-02-2008, 04:14
Ok this is what you will be looking for. The FloFunnel Multi-purpose Flow Tool from Fred's Discount Store. Appropriate name. It works great! Use it in the same way that FD posted the instructions. It aims more away from your feet than the Wiz does so stand so the end of the funnel is just inside the front edge of the seat the 1st time, then you can adjust the distance next time. I like the firmness of the funnel because you don't have to worry about it slipping or have to hold it in place. I did have to shake it like the fellows do and be sure you are

This is interesting, as I saw this at the auto parts shop and thought. NO WAY!! The hose is not soft, so I saw no way that you would not have to pretty much undress to use it. So perhaps I was wrong. I don't see the hardness per se a problem, just the fact that the thing sticks straight down.

I think the Whiz looks good, just not sure I would pay $20, but if alternatives don't work I would. I don't think that the medical grade thing is a bad thing, just not so necessary a thing. (I do know that there are people with these serious issues, but then they will be doing serious disinfecting and not putting a little water or hand sanitizer on it.)

I have doing experimenting with my own little designs. Last try was a small paper plate. Actually works ok, but does need two hands. Obviously not a multiple shot deal, lol! Maybe go get one of those transmission fluid babies.

Sorry that I may have named this thread too well. Guys go start your own pee thread. :D :D

--des

dixicritter
02-02-2008, 10:11
I have doing experimenting with my own little designs. Last try was a small paper plate. Actually works ok, but does need two hands. Obviously not a multiple shot deal, lol! Maybe go get one of those transmission fluid babies.

Sorry that I may have named this thread too well. Guys go start your own pee thread. :D :D

--des

Paper plate may actually be about the right weight of paper for your DIY project des. Don't know what "brand" of paper plate you are using but there are some that have like a light wax type coating on them that could come in handy here. Something to think about. ;) I think they are made by Dixie Brand or something like that, not too expensive either.

Just thought that might be something useful you might not have thought of and it just popped into my head when I was reading your post. :D

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. :sun

Pringles
02-02-2008, 13:11
... I did have to shake it like the fellows do and be sure you are done before removing it.:rolleyes: having a piece of tissue or pee rag ready before using makes it easy.

Stuff cut

It has a loop on the backside (it's & yours) so you could hang it from your pack if you feel a little brazen. Unless some guy listening in tells them different you can always say its a fuel funnel to any one that asks .... you would not be lying;).

I was thinking, instead of hanging the funnel on my pack for "display," why not take an old bandana and make a little bag to hang off the back of the pack. If you have a pee rag, a little bag wouldn't look too out of place.

As to the final bit of Purple's comment, I remember a bit of restroom poetry:

If you sprinkle while you tinkle,
Please be neat and wipe the seat.

Beth

desdemona
02-02-2008, 15:05
Paper plate may actually be about the right weight of paper for your DIY project des. Don't know what "brand" of paper plate you are using but there are some that have like a light wax type coating on them that could come in handy here. Something to think about. ;) I think they are made by Dixie Brand or something like that, not too expensive either.

Just thought that might be something useful you might not have thought of and it just popped into my head when I was reading your post. :D

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. :sun

Actually that is exactly the kind of plate I used (waxy coating-- don't know re: brand). I am packing a couple today for an emergency-- though actually I am only going out a couple hours.

Someone suggested if you got silicon you could cut it, though where you'd get that, I don't know.

"Haha, keep us posted on your progress". Very cute. I imagine the guys are all loving all this. :p

--des

dixicritter
02-02-2008, 15:16
Actually that is exactly the kind of plate I used (waxy coating-- don't know re: brand). I am packing a couple today for an emergency-- though actually I am only going out a couple hours.

Someone suggested if you got silicon you could cut it, though where you'd get that, I don't know.

"Haha, keep us posted on your progress". Very cute. I imagine the guys are all loving all this. :p

--des

They actually sell silicon baking sheets at WalMart. I'm not sure how much they cost, it could be not worth it, but you could try there.

And if the guys are bothered by this conversation they can look elsewhere as far as I'm concerned. ;) :p This is exactly why this forum was created, let's use it with pride ladies! :sun

desdemona
02-02-2008, 20:09
They actually sell silicon baking sheets at WalMart. I'm not sure how much they cost, it could be not worth it, but you could try there.

And if the guys are bothered by this conversation they can look elsewhere as far as I'm concerned. ;) :p This is exactly why this forum was created, let's use it with pride ladies! :sun

Yeah, I have bought this type of thing online--larger ones being about $10 and smaller ones (which I think are about $5-- they aren't the cookie sheet size--probably would work. You could even get some garish color. :-))
I am not sure what sticks to silicon-- but there are sites on the net that tell what sticks to everything. A smaller one might be worth it. However, I might try that auto transmission fluid thing-- despite might my first impressions. They are $1-2.

Yes, I feel this is the kind of discussion that is great for a gal's only forum.
And this is a great thing to have around. This White Blaze is quite a jewel for just tons of info, whether I ever hike the AT or no.

---des

Frau
02-02-2008, 21:50
Boose--

WOW! I just spend and hour going from link to link--all from the ftm link you posted. I teach a unit on sexuality inb my psych classes and this REALLY got me updated. I honestly didn't know how archaic my information and vocab. had become.

On Topic: I don't mind squatting, except when the temp is below about 35. It isn't the squatting it is the cold backside I hate.

Thanks all around,

Frau

Penne
02-02-2008, 23:57
A pee rag? I haven't heard about this one before. I take it, this is a reusable rag, but isn't that messy?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-03-2008, 00:23
A pee rag? I haven't heard about this one before. I take it, this is a reusable rag, but isn't that messy?I rinse mine out at least once a day - more often if water is available - it really helps me keep the lady place much fresher while hiking.

Mrs Baggins
02-03-2008, 08:47

Hey Tazie, we have a Fred's here in Aiken. I can get one for you and mail it up (or you can come down and visit me! :rolleyes:). Let me know!

Your old hikin' buddy :(

quasarr
02-03-2008, 21:27
purple,

thank you very much for your report!!! Now I decided to try a funnel. Next chance I get I'll check out an auto parts store for the funnel. I would be fine hanging it on my pack, it's not like anybody would know what it is!!

And penne, my pee rag is just a bandanna (if you have more than one bananna, make sure the pee rag is a different color!!!). it's an alternative to using toilet paper every time you pee.

LOL Freud would have a field day with this thread.

AlwaysHiking
02-04-2008, 08:38
Does anyone know what type of plastic the auto store funnels are made out of?

The reason I ask is my vet, and several other pet owners I know have confirmed this with their vets, says that plastic bowls are not good as feeding dishes since plastic is porous and holds bacteria. What happens is it causes redness, swelling, and sometimes acne on the pet's nose and lips. If it can do that to pets, then I don't think I want anything like that against my body.

If the auto store funnel is made out of a grade of plastic same as those approved for use as dishes, water containers, etc... for humans, then it might be OK, but if it's not, I wouldn't want it anywhere near my body after the first few uses.

Mad Hatter 08
02-04-2008, 13:09
As to the final bit of Purple's comment, I remember a bit of restroom poetry:

If you sprinkle while you tinkle,
Please be neat and wipe the seat.

Beth

growing up one of my friends had something similar posted on her bathroom wall.

If you sprinkle while you tinkle
Be a sweetie and wipe the seatie.

Penne
02-04-2008, 16:22
Interesting about the pee rag. Wish I know that on my attempted thru last year. I always hated having to take off the pack and dig for the t.p. Next time maybe I'll give it a try.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-04-2008, 19:29
Took the purple whizz freedom to a store today and took a picture of it with a transmission funnel for comparison:
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/WizzFreedomTransmissionfunnel.jpg

Appalachian Tater
02-04-2008, 19:44
Took the purple whizz freedom to a store today and took a picture of it with a transmission funnel for comparison:
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/WizzFreedomTransmissionfunnel.jpg

Does size matter?

AlwaysHiking
02-04-2008, 21:34
Does size matter?

It might...

Hey F. Dino, how's the range on the stream? Is the tube long enough so that there's no splash back on shoes, socks, pants?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-04-2008, 21:44
It might...

Hey F. Dino, how's the range on the stream? Is the tube long enough so that there's no splash back on shoes, socks, pants?Haven't had it out on a trail yet and I'm not about to give my neighbors that much amusement :D. (My (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=10894&highlight=cone#post10894) neighbors really (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=471149&highlight=lawn#post471149) love me (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=367276&highlight=neighbor#post367276)) I was able to aim at the back of the toilet bowl with ease so I don't anticipate any problems.

AlwaysHiking
02-04-2008, 21:57
Haven't had it out on a trail yet and I'm not about to give my neighbors that much amusement :D. (My (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=10894&highlight=cone#post10894) neighbors really (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=471149&highlight=lawn#post471149) love me (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=367276&highlight=neighbor#post367276)) I was able to aim at the back of the toilet bowl with ease so I don't anticipate any problems.

Hahaha! That's why I sneak out after dark, stealth camping in my own backyard!

I think I'm going to order a Wiz tomorrow. I like the small size of it and the fact it can be folded up. I'll come up with something, I'm sure, that I can keep it in and keep it in a cargo pocket then I won't even have to take the pack off!

I'm most looking forward to telling my male hiking buddies I need to "step off the trail" and only going in a few yards and hiding behind a tree with my back to them exactly the same as they do. Then not letting them know I've got the Wiz! I may get a new trail name after that!

Mad Hatter 08
02-05-2008, 00:52
Hahaha! That's why I sneak out after dark, stealth camping in my own backyard!

I think I'm going to order a Wiz tomorrow. I like the small size of it and the fact it can be folded up. I'll come up with something, I'm sure, that I can keep it in and keep it in a cargo pocket then I won't even have to take the pack off!

I'm most looking forward to telling my male hiking buddies I need to "step off the trail" and only going in a few yards and hiding behind a tree with my back to them exactly the same as they do. Then not letting them know I've got the Wiz! I may get a new trail name after that!

Like Hermie????

desdemona
02-05-2008, 00:55
Does anyone know what type of plastic the auto store funnels are made out of?

The reason I ask is my vet, and several other pet owners I know have confirmed this with their vets, says that plastic bowls are not good as feeding dishes since plastic is porous and holds bacteria. What happens is it causes redness, swelling, and sometimes acne on the pet's nose and lips. If it can do that to pets, then I don't think I want anything like that against my body.

If the auto store funnel is made out of a grade of plastic same as those approved for use as dishes, water containers, etc... for humans, then it might be OK, but if it's not, I wouldn't want it anywhere near my body after the first few uses.

I have several plastic dishes and cups of various kinds that have never bothered me. Some of which I purchased for a $1 or less. I have also used them in my fish tank (salt water) without problems. (Salt water fish and critters are extremely sensitive.) I understand the problem with kitties and plastic (more so than dogs)is that there is more to it than the contact with the plastic. Many cats aren't affected at all, but I had one that had an acne like condition. (It is called cat acne). My understanding is that the food particles and oil in the food are part of the problem.My two cats now are totally not affected, nor is my dog.

In this case, I think the contact with the plastic is reasonably short, but I wouldn't use it if you have a known dermatitis type reaction of any kind.

Yikes though it does look LARGE. :o

BTW, I thought of practicing outside as well, after dark. The weather has not been conducive. I definitely don't want to be the female streaker...
:)

--des

River Runner
02-05-2008, 02:31

Thanks FD. Wonder what the store would have thought had they known... :D

From the picture, looks like the Wiz Freedom would be easier to use without clothing removal, which to me would be one of the important factors in using one of these on the trail - there are those places there are really no good places to completely hide.

The transmission funnel might work as well in the privacy of a tent.

I may have to consider one of these. It might even be nice for car trips...

Purple
02-05-2008, 15:19
I am going to ask a sensitive question for the guys to clear up the does "size" matter question. I raised 3 boys and according to the laundry (under shorts, socks and tennis shoes), I found that the shorter the "tube" the more "OOPS!" occurred. I did not want to tramatize my son so I only mentioned the OOPS! one time. Try to imagine a 8 yr old boy trying to explain why his aim wasn't better, this is the cleaned up version ..... his "tube'" wasn't long enough to reach over the edge of the seat and if he leaned he had to hold on to the lid so he wouldn't fall in and then he couldn't see where he was aiming and ..... you get the picture. I told him to sit like a girl (that upset him). Next time he "goes" I hear an "AHHH!" and crying coming from the bathroom. He had sat like I told him, but I didn't think to tell him to hold it down while he was going. He had soaked his shirt and face, bless his heart:o. He eventually figured it out on his own. Last I heard, from his girlfriends, he does not have the "short tube" problem anymore:clap.

That story told .... here is the question for the guys ..... because every male has gone through this ..... which of these "funnels" would be easier to use? Please keep your answer clean and all we want to know is which do you think would work better, from experience.

Sidenote: I did not realize the Wiz is so small. According to FD's comparison pic, I don't think the "anatomical part" at the bottom on the Wiz goes back far enough to avoid back splash under pressure (IMO) The anatonical part on the Flofunnel is large enough that only the rim touches your body and only the tube part gets wet .... luv the color ... but I think I will stick to the Flofunnel, for now. BTW, FD what is the weight comparison?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-05-2008, 15:35
I'm going to say this as delicately as possible. The part of the Whiz Freedom that is closest to the anus nearly enters the 'play pen' when this item is in use. There is no way your pee is going anywhere but down the tube with the Whiz Freedom. The tube on the Whiz Freedom so that it can handle at least the same amount of flow as the larger funnel - maybe more.

Appalachian Tater
02-05-2008, 15:37
Since Purple asked:

For women, I would recommend the purple one that curves on the wide end. The orange one with the sharp angles looks like it would either hurt at best or leak at worst.

If you are worried about aiming, it has more to do with flexibility than length. The smaller funnel pictured might be too small to easily handle, it is difficult to tell the scale in the picture.

AlwaysHiking
02-05-2008, 15:37
Sidenote: I did not realize the Wiz is so small. According to FD's comparison pic, I don't think the "anatomical part" at the bottom on the Wiz goes back far enough to avoid back splash under pressure (IMO) The anatonical part on the Flofunnel is large enough that only the rim touches your body and only the tube part gets wet .... luv the color ... but I think I will stick to the Flofunnel, for now. BTW, FD what is the weight comparison?

The wiz actually addresses this somewhere on their site, I don't have the link just yet, but they say the same as FD.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-05-2008, 15:47
Attached is a photo of the Whiz Freedom with a ruler

Appalachian Tater
02-05-2008, 15:52
That's much longer than the average flaccid male penis. Shouldn't be a problem to use and the orange funnel is way too long. Looks about like the Freshette except the Freshette has a flexible tube that is a little longer. Someone I hiked with who used the Freshette was very happy with it but she did get stuck with "Freshette" as a temporary trail name.

You also need to consider the pattern of spray leaving the nozzle because you don't want splashback.

Lone Wolf
02-05-2008, 15:54
That's much longer than the average flaccid male penis.

something you know a lot about obviously :)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-05-2008, 16:01
::: Dino peeks over her trifocals at LW and aims her whiz freedom in his general direction :::

warraghiyagey
02-05-2008, 17:23
Pee on inquisitive fellows :D

::: Dino peeks over her trifocals at LW and aims her whiz freedom in his general direction :::
Someone needs to take Dinos pee funnel away. It's giving her a power trip.http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/laughing013.gif

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-05-2008, 17:35
Darn you, Warrghy, I sprayed my monitor and keyboard with diet soda.

warraghiyagey
02-05-2008, 17:37
Sweet!!!http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/ad/wootrock.gif

GGS2
02-05-2008, 18:29

FD, never mind about funnels. Somebody better take your diet soda away.

Slim aka Nancy
02-05-2008, 18:52
Hi,
Just thought I'd add my two cents with peeing in the woods. When walking I stand to pee, just bend the knee of one leg and pull the shorts to the side... But the very best is this...I was so jealous that my man Bogey could pee in a bottle when in the tent overnight. I cut off a 1 qt gatorade bottle which fits the female apparatus just fine. Its about 4" in diameter and is flexible enough to conform itself. So far I've never missed. It does help to be in frog position, on knees leaning forward with bottle firmly jammed against the pubic area.
Slim aka Nancy

Bluez4u
02-05-2008, 19:56
Is there a utube on this?

dixicritter
02-05-2008, 20:41
Is there a utube on this?

For goodness sakes I certainly hope not!!! ;)

warraghiyagey
02-05-2008, 20:46
FD, never mind about funnels. Somebody better take your diet soda away.
True, you take away one, you don't need the other.;)

desdemona
02-06-2008, 23:52
For goodness sakes I certainly hope not!!! ;)

I'm almost afraid to say this but...

I'm not sure re: the Whiz freedom (or the auto transmission fluid thingie) but I was looking around the day I asked this and found several, er, youtube features-- one showing a woman peeing in the woods standing up. So before you guys (and I do mean *guys*) rush to find it, I'd say it doesn't reveal anything.

BTW, re: the size of the tube (in the universal :) question does size matter), i suppose one could cut this.

--des

sstrickmo
02-07-2008, 00:15
http://www.gearfuse.com/the-whiz-for-women-who-want-to-pee-like-a-man/
I believe this is light weight and is right for hiking and camping, dirty restrooms or where ever you like.
sstrickmo

Erin
02-07-2008, 00:20
I got one of those funnels for a gift, but it is such a hassle. I decided I would not carry it and given the lack of water last spring, it would have been a hassle to clean. I am short and have stong legs. I am good at this business in the woods. All of it. But a good tip from my tall hiker friends is to dig that cat hole and put your back against a tree or dig a cathole under a log and sit on the log. Works for them.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-07-2008, 08:03
I believe this is light weight and is right for hiking and camping, dirty restrooms or where ever you like. This is the Aussie version of the Whiz Freedom - it does come in colors other than purple.

AlwaysHiking
02-07-2008, 10:14
I believe this is light weight and is right for hiking and camping, dirty restrooms or where ever you like.
sstrickmo

sstrickmo - your subject "pee like a man" isn't exactly what we're going for here. It's not you-know-what envy, it's about peeing more comfortably in the woods for those of us with knee or other problems that don't allow us to easily squat.

desdemona
02-07-2008, 17:28
sstrickmo - your subject "pee like a man" isn't exactly what we're going for here. It's not you-know-what envy, it's about peeing more comfortably in the woods for those of us with knee or other problems that don't allow us to easily squat.

Yeah, I thought the link was a bit insulting, for lack of a better word. It was written by a guy who clearly had some kind of "other" interest in the subject, likely a purient one.

The product is the same Whiz freedom discussed in many posts.

The problem for some of us, is squatting, either due to age, conditions (like arthritis) or just the terrain. I think portapotties would be nice to stand in. They are usually filthy. I am not worried about "time" or some kind of thing of acting like a guy. I have envied guy's restroom lines, I'll say that!! This product wouldn't help that anyway.

--des

--des

tina.anderson
02-07-2008, 17:49
I got one of those funnels for a gift, but it is such a hassle. I decided I would not carry it and given the lack of water last spring, it would have been a hassle to clean. I am short and have stong legs. I am good at this business in the woods. All of it. But a good tip from my tall hiker friends is to dig that cat hole and put your back against a tree or dig a cathole under a log and sit on the log. Works for them.

I am also good at going in the woods. You have to adapt because those funnels are so annoying.

quasarr
02-07-2008, 17:57
I have envied guy's restroom lines, I'll say that!!

LOL this reminds me ...

I went on a factory tour with my engineering class (about 30 people, only 2 girls). Afterwards I had to use the bathroom and I was waiting outside while the one other female was in there. Even at an engineering event there's a line for the women's restroom!! :p:p

redredrose
02-14-2008, 15:58
I think every woman in Europe and the Middle East owns some version of a pee-funnel. I got my first one in the Middle East. The customs officer in NYC had never seen anything like it and, if you can believe it, confiscated it. Oh well! Bet the FBI had a laugh over that one.

They are wonderful for all kinds of public rest facilities and I use the Freshette and have now taught my granddaughter to use one too. Much better for traveling with her.

arasjane
02-25-2008, 12:52
But a good tip from my tall hiker friends is to dig that cat hole and put your back against a tree or dig a cathole under a log and sit on the log. Works for them.

I had no idea these things existed!! Eeew.
I do the above it's so much easier & comfortable to once you get in the right position.

Spottzie
03-02-2008, 18:28
I have a question, a little off topic. On the AT, how much privacy can you find? At a shelter in the smokies a few years ago, there were a bunch of "cowboys" horse camping. I needed to go visit the cathole area but I felt like anyone could walk down there and see me. And I'm not a graceful squatter either! Anyway, I made my boyfried stand at the top of the hill just to be sure, but hearing all those voices gave me stage fright. I know that after months on the trail none of this will be an issue, but I need some reassurance to start out with.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-02-2008, 18:54
I've always just gone far enough over a rise that I couldn't see the shelter... never been 'discovered'. Most fellows will realize what you are doing when you go off toward the woods and give you privacy.

cathy
03-04-2008, 16:02
I pitched mine after a desperate need to go resulted in a back wash over the top of the funnel causing a wet mess. Had to change shorts and wash out the other ones. Guess it would be OK if it was a little tinkle.:)

desdemona
03-09-2008, 00:20
I was able to use my successfully today. My partner said I should go, and that he say a good place. He then hiked up the hill, which I thought was all very thoughtful.

The funnel (auto transmission fluid variety) worked very well. It is a little complicated to clean it, wash off hands and so on. I used a spray hand sanitizer to clean off everything.

--des

yappy
03-09-2008, 00:41
is this a joke ? please tell me it is..lol. Just PEE for heavens sakes..haha. i learned to pee standing up too it didn't take that long .. but, sometimes I still just cop a squat and pee ! I don't want to gross anyone out so i will leave out how i wipe....

rev_sunshine
03-09-2008, 01:18
I know I've posted this somewhere before, but I couldn't find it

There is a much easier and much cheaper way for women to pee standing up

Take the plastic lid from a coffee can, Cool Whip container, or the like

Cut the outer rim off of it

Fold it like a taco

Voila, you've created a pee funnel that's light, easy to keep track of, and easy to clean

It works a lot better than the funnels, and you can make a new one almost every day if you're concerned it won't get clean enough

And you don't have to get half undressed...just unzip your pants, and your good to...ahem...go

The Reverend

dixicritter
03-09-2008, 10:19
is this a joke ? please tell me it is..lol. Just PEE for heavens sakes..haha. i learned to pee standing up too it didn't take that long .. but, sometimes I still just cop a squat and pee ! I don't want to gross anyone out so i will leave out how i wipe....

No yappy it isn't a joke. Glad to hear that you were able to learn how to do this, not everyone is this lucky believe me I've tried numerous times and failed miserably. I can only assume that I'm not built appropriately for the task, so I do happen to need the extra help. I'd absolutely love to not have to carry the extra weight to be perfectly honest with you, however if this is going to make my life on the trail just a tad bit easier then I'll carry it. :)

desdemona
03-09-2008, 17:21
No yappy it isn't a joke. Glad to hear that you were able to learn how to do this, not everyone is this lucky believe me I've tried numerous times and failed miserably. I can only assume that I'm not built appropriately for the task, so I do happen to need the extra help. I'd absolutely love to not have to carry the extra weight to be perfectly honest with you, however if this is going to make my life on the trail just a tad bit easier then I'll carry it. :)

No joke. I live in a "different neighborhood" and get to think about possibly peeing in (sitting, squatting in) cactus for instance. I also think there are people with arthritis or just don't want to try do squat down and wet their socks potentially. I know at one time all humans squatted, that our anatomy is made for it, so we are all pretty much capable of it. The funnel was nice to have and reasonably light and easy to use for a day hiker. Might be harder for a thru hiker!

--des

yappy
03-09-2008, 21:15
I peed on a rattle snake on the pct.. yikes ! i guess i always just figured girls just peed without giving too much thought. But arthritis, yeah that would make it harder for sure. The things we go thru to go into the woods... i knew a woman that peed while hiking ! i saw her do it with my own eyes ! we were taking a break sorta off the trail and she and her husband hiked by us and she just.. well, peed and didn't miss a stride. We were all like " did you see that ? "

dixicritter
03-09-2008, 21:31
I could tell y'all some pretty embarrassing stories on myself due to my arthritis issues...LOL. It's either laugh about it, or get upset... I choose to find it funny, otherwise I would have given up hiking by now out of frustration.

desdemona
03-09-2008, 23:57
I peed on a rattle snake on the pct.. yikes ! i guess i always just figured girls just peed without giving too much thought. But arthritis, yeah that would make it harder for sure. The things we go thru to go into the woods... i knew a woman that peed while hiking ! i saw her do it with my own eyes ! we were taking a break sorta off the trail and she and her husband hiked by us and she just.. well, peed and didn't miss a stride. We were all like " did you see that ? "

I imagine the snake wasn't too happy!? (Or maybe it thought it was a nice warm rain. LOL!)

Yes, it the privacy issue is a problem. It just is more trouble, no question.

Here there is cactus all over. Sometimes you dont' see all the various types til too late. Where I used the funnel there was some sort of stickers that stuck to my pants so I was happy as I didn't see the stuff. It hurt taking it out and was happy I only had to take it out of pants.

I like the lid idea. Though I don't eat too much that would give me such lids.

--des

Cindy from Indy
03-10-2008, 17:17
I just ordered the 'whiz master' for my thru. I'll let you know how it goes!! :D

RiceKrispy
04-16-2008, 12:29
Being a newbie, I have to admit to never having peed in the woods (yet). In the summertime, I don't foresee privacy being too much of an issue b/c the bushes are in full bloom, but early spring and winter concerns me b/c there is little ground foliage and the trails are so crowded, it's difficult to find anywhere that isn't in full view of the trails at some point. Being a rather modest girl, I admit to being a little freaked about being seen.
The funnel thing looks Whiz thing looks promising though... I wholeheartedly thank you for posting this! :D

AlwaysHiking
04-16-2008, 15:07
I have used the Whiz on one three day trip. It took a bit of a learning curve. I tried it at home first a few times, but it was definitely different for me on trail.

It doesn't shake off with a flick like it says. Fortunately there was snow so I was able to clean it out before stowing it. Not sure what I'd do in other seasons.

It is small enough to stow nicely in a small Aloksac in a cargo pocket. It folds up pretty flat so it doesn't bulge out of the pocket too much. Then it pops right back into shape when pulled out of the Aloksac.

The only downside I found is the small size. That first early morning trip to the little girls room -especially when it was so cold out during the night that I didn't want to crawl out of my sleeping bag so I held it for a long time- was too much 'flow' for the Whiz to handle. Every other time during the day is fantastic though since I don't even have to remove my pack.

I did injure my back on this trip and I was glad for the Whiz. I'll be trying it again in the future, not the immediate future though b/c I'd like to think a little more about how to clean it out after each use. The Aloksac is a good solution b/c of the convenient size (fits perfect in a cargo pocket), but I'm not sure that is what I will use longterm for storage.

All-in-all I liked it, I just need to get used to the idea of it I think.

Blissful
04-16-2008, 15:55
Being a newbie, I have to admit to never having peed in the woods (yet). In the summertime, I don't foresee privacy being too much of an issue b/c the bushes are in full bloom, but early spring and winter concerns me b/c there is little ground foliage and the trails are so crowded, it's difficult to find anywhere that isn't in full view of the trails at some point. Being a rather modest girl, I admit to being a little freaked about being seen.
The funnel thing looks Whiz thing looks promising though... I wholeheartedly thank you for posting this! :D

I can understand, it takes time to learn how to do it and where. But you will get very good at finding those concealed places, even in wintertime and early spring (and honestly, there aren't that many on the trail that time of year, esp when you are are hiking during the day. Shelter areas can get crowded). I liked it in the south as the AT goes by lots of rhododendron which maintain their leaves year round. Best thing to do is just do it. Practice makes perfect. :)

desdemona
04-19-2008, 17:23
I have used the Whiz on one three day trip. It took a bit of a learning curve. I tried it at home first a few times, but it was definitely different for me on trail.

It doesn't shake off with a flick like it says. Fortunately there was snow so I was able to clean it out before stowing it. Not sure what I'd do in other seasons.

All-in-all I liked it, I just need to get used to the idea of it I think.

I haven't found stowing it (I am using a transmission fluid funnel) a problem. Urine is sterile and doesn't have quite the smell you might think-- this might be more of an issue on a really hot day in a really hot pack or over days and days. But I have actually forgotten about it for a week. Took it off and cleaned it off. It didn't seriously stink and wasn't so gross. It cleaned off very well. I take two plastic bags and pack the funnel in one inside of another. After use I might even spray it along with my hands-- with a bit of hand sanitizer. Then pack it back.

It sure makes peeing outside easier and faster. Though not so fast as my male partner. The big problem is finding privacy. The second is getting out of the wind. You definitely don't want it splashing back in your face. EEEW!

--des