PDA

View Full Version : who uses army surplus

dpage
01-28-2008, 19:55
Who uses and loves army surplus?!?! I have a army surplus store by my house and it has so much cheep/ quality gear,i bought a army surplus sleeping bag for $25, A.L.I.C.E packs large $12 and med for $7 and farmes $10 w/ sholder straps and kidney belt, gor-tex goves $5, p-38 are $0.50 some of its not the light'est gear but if it works for are fighting men and women over seas it will last me a lifetime...what items are in your backpack???

Pedaling Fool
01-28-2008, 19:59
We have one here in Jacksonville, forget the actual name, but it's an Army/Navy surplus store. It's actually pretty good (wouldn't make my top 10 list, but not bad) and has a lot of stuff you'd find at a regular outfitter, actually it's probably better than our local outfitter.

Seeker
01-28-2008, 20:04
not a huge surplus fan. the green sleeping mat would be a good piece of gear though, if i still slept on the ground. and i do like the wool glove inserts... very durable and warm (though i use fleece ones now). and i still have a field jacket liner that comes close to fleece in warmth and weight.

that said, there are some others here who love their army surplus gear... you'll hear from them, i'm sure.

Bob S
01-28-2008, 20:06
I have a big one ¼ mile down the road, I love the place; I have lots of stuff from there.
My son and I walk down there at least once a week. The place is always busy, lots of people going in & out.

I don’t think people that want super light items would be happy with military things. They tend to be a little heavier, but very well made & durable. I personally go for well made more then the lightest thing, I want something to work after it gets dropped or takes abuse.

shelterbuilder
01-28-2008, 20:06
I use some surplus gear - wool clothing, mostly...and a down sleeping bag (it's a little heavy, but it's warm down to 20* - used that one this past weekend).

JAK
01-28-2008, 20:10
I do. We have a Roy's Army Navy here in town. Excellent prices. Lots of good military clothing such as a various wool clothing, nylon ponchos and rain gear, gortex bivies, down sleeping bags. Also lots of stuff that makes no sense at all, like cotton parkas, but it still puts a grin on your face. :)

Bob S
01-28-2008, 20:14
We have one here in Jacksonville, forget the actual name, but it's an Army/Navy surplus store. It's actually pretty good (wouldn't make my top 10 list, but not bad) and has a lot of stuff you'd find at a regular outfitter, actually it's probably better than our local outfitter.

The one here in Toledo is like that, in spring and summer they are the place in the city to go for camping gear. Much better then Cabalas, Dicks sporting goods or Gander Mountain. They set up about 15 tents and have a diorama of camping gear set up around the tents to look like camp sites. Kids love going in the tents. OK so do I!

:cool:

dpage
01-28-2008, 20:27
lol me 2

double d
01-28-2008, 21:16
check out the prices on the army poncho's, i'll bet you can get a great deal on one.

JAK
01-28-2008, 21:18
I was looking at army poncho/tarps just the other day. They didn't look too heavy and they were something like $10. What do they weigh exactly? I'm guessing a pound.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-28-2008, 21:21
The polypro shirts, a poncho liner, field pant liner and used the ponchos before going to silnylon.

dixicritter
01-28-2008, 21:31
Got my polypro long johns at ours. (both top and bottoms)

dpage
01-28-2008, 21:37
check out the prices on the army poncho's, i'll bet you can get a great deal on one.
www.sportsmanguide.com (http://www.sportsmanguide.com) 5 swiss army poncho's for $14

hammock engineer
01-28-2008, 21:37
Man I need to start checking these places out. Hopefully I won't get a rash from all of the camo.

russb
01-28-2008, 21:39
Most of my surplus gear is used for winter trips.

Poncho and liner
Wool gloves
BedNet (Army surplus but made by Catoma)
Korean War vintage wool pants (my favorite)
US Army cookset
plus many other iitems, but these are the ones I have used in the last year.

dpage
01-28-2008, 21:42
www.sportsmanguide.com (http://www.sportsmanguide.com) 5 swiss army poncho's for $14
i got them last year and beat the crap out of em' in a few rain storms, caryin' wood and used as a shelter 1night, the swiss have good product!!! 5'stars

dpage
01-28-2008, 21:47
Man I need to start checking these places out. Hopefully I won't get a rash from all of the camo.
www.gunnyssurplus.com (http://www.gunnyssurplus.com) is were i get lots of my stuff from, ask for randy he is the owner and try www.military-mail.com (http://www.military-mail.com) and type "use" in the search box...lots of CHEEP CHEEP CHEEP gear, check it out!!!!

dpage
01-28-2008, 21:49
www.gunnyssurplus.com (http://www.gunnyssurplus.com) is were i get lots of my stuff from, ask for randy he is the owner and try www.military-mail.com (http://www.military-mail.com) and type "use" in the search box...lots of CHEEP CHEEP CHEEP gear, check it out!!!! sorry http://www.military-mall.com/

greentick
01-28-2008, 22:14
Poncho liner (use as a quilt ~50* nice) about 20oz. If you are fully clothed you can go lower.

Field jacket liner(aka "the chinese smoking jacket") <16oz. The only one I weighed was size S at 11oz and pants

PolyPs

Jak, I think the army nylon poncho is just over a pound.

Amphibious D
01-28-2008, 22:17
in my backpack:
1. 100' of 550 cord
2. small Ranger Joe's mirror
3. OD poncho
4. Camelbak
5. knife
6. fleece watch cap
things that are usually in my backpack, but not taking on the AT.
1. 100mph tape
2. a good compass
3. pace counter

JAK
01-28-2008, 22:18
Thanks greentick. They looked rather rugged for ripstop, but not too rugged.
Way better than those ground sheets we used to make our hootchies out of. :)

Paul Bunyan
01-28-2008, 22:20
yea, i use a army surplus Camelback. 100 ounces, pretty nice.

capoken
01-28-2008, 23:40
I can't believe no one has mentioned the M65 jacket liner and matching pants.

Bearpaw
01-29-2008, 00:11
I can't believe no one has mentioned the M65 jacket liner and matching pants.

GreenTick, Seeker, and Frolicking Dino all mentioned one or the other.

Mags
01-29-2008, 01:15
WOOL LINER GLOVES - warm, durable and cheap. I like how wool is warm when damp. More forgiving if you sweat a little

LINER PANTS - colder weather camping mainly. Warm, light and cheap

P-38 - is always on my key chain

SWEDISH ARMY WOOL SWEATER (http://www.maddogonline.com/surplus/wholesale/32403.html)- For my ski touring, I've become a big fan of this wool sweater. More breathable, warm when damp, sheds snow and light moisture. $15! Plus, I love looking a little retro. :)

ARMY COLD WEATHER BAG - It is my car camping bag/emergency bag (it is always in my truck) of choice
Too heavy for backpacking..but when car camping, who cares?

EXP WEIGHT POLYPRO - Very warm and inexpensive. Use it for winter camping

dpage
03-04-2008, 21:28
i just got 4 army sleeping bag covers for $3 each!!!

bredler
03-04-2008, 21:47
Also, go to gun shows. Army surplus guys flock to those and even if it's just some guy who sets up a booth to sell his private stuff, you can find great gear. My government teacher senior year of high school came in one day with swiss hooded sleeping bag liners to give out to a bunch of people. He said he bought a couple dozen because they were $5 each.

KG4FAM
03-04-2008, 21:59
I am going to be carrying my thin polypros and a jeep cap like Radar wore on MASH this summer.

Wolf - 23000
03-04-2008, 22:14
Who uses and loves army surplus?!?! I have a army surplus store by my house and it has so much cheep/ quality gear,i bought a army surplus sleeping bag for $25, A.L.I.C.E packs large $12 and med for $7 and farmes $10 w/ sholder straps and kidney belt, gor-tex goves $5, p-38 are $0.50 some of its not the light'est gear but if it works for are fighting men and women over seas it will last me a lifetime...what items are in your backpack???

Don't you think our troops deserve better? Army equipment you know has been known to break including the A.L.I.C.E. pack.

Wolf

take-a-knee
03-05-2008, 00:49
Don't you think our troops deserve better? Army equipment you know has been known to break including the A.L.I.C.E. pack.

Wolf

I've seen a LOT of ALICE frames break...on parachute jumps with 90# of lightweight gear in them. Stacking them into a pyramid on an Air Force cargo pallet doesn't do the ones on the bottom any good either. Take care of it and it'll work fine. I admit I would prefer a Coleman Ram X frame though.

Wolf - 23000
03-05-2008, 01:33
I've seen a LOT of ALICE frames break...on parachute jumps with 90# of lightweight gear in them. Stacking them into a pyramid on an Air Force cargo pallet doesn't do the ones on the bottom any good either. Take care of it and it'll work fine. I admit I would prefer a Coleman Ram X frame though.

I see them break all the time in here in Basic Training land. I personal don't like a frame pack of any type but that just me.

Wolf