PDA

View Full Version : Consistent availaibility of internet access along the trail?

T.S.
01-28-2008, 23:14
As I'm sorting through and figuring out all of the day-to-day things about life on the trail, one of the main things I've been wondering about is whether I can rely on regular internet access every time I stop in a town, possibly for extended periods of time. It's just a concern since I'm in the process of applying to grad school and by the time I would be heading out on the trail, there's still going be a ton of stuff up in the air, so I'll need to be able to spend a fair amount of time, at least early on in the trail, taking advantage of those town stops to work things out online. Is this a reasonable expectation? Thanks!

Appalachian Tater
01-28-2008, 23:34
The main places you'll find computers with internet access are at some hostels, in the lobby at some hotels, in libraries, and sometimes at a coffee shop or friendly outfitter.

However, I would not count on being able to use any of them for long periods of time as there are usually others waiting and there is often a posted or librarian-enforced time limit.

A-Train
01-28-2008, 23:41
You might wanna get stuff straightened out before hitting the trail. It'd be a shame to be altering what you wanna be doing on the trail to fit your school needs. Like sitting in town for a day or two waiting for the library to open back up. Or speeding ahead to get to town before it closes.

Lots of folks I hiked with had already sent in their apps when they hit the trail, so all they had to do was wait, and hike. I remember sitting in the outfitter in Hot Springs when my friend found out she got into all 3 of her choices.

You'd be suprised how many places you can access internet (and I haven't hiked in almost 5 years on the AT) BUT your sometimes sharing one computer with 10-15 other people and as mentioned, your sessions will be timed at libraries. I've had some pretty strict librarians in trail towns, not all of them love hikers:)

Pedaling Fool
01-29-2008, 00:19
You can get lucky here and there but computer time can be difficult, especially if your a NOBO, then it's much more competitive. I basically plan on not using the computer during my hikes, and generally don't.

Johnny Swank
01-29-2008, 12:37
If I were in your shoes, I'd figure out some way to access the internet without having to depend on libraries, etc. (Blackberry, cellphone, PDA, something else) I had few problems as a SOBO, and even wrote a newspaper column the entire time that required a few 2hr+ sessions, but I doubt you're going to have that kind of luck as a NOBO.

Your best case scenerio is to go ahead and apply now, then hopefully you're just dealing with a few emails and whatnot. Anything more is going to be a real burden on the trail.

ScottP
01-29-2008, 16:01
I had no problems getting a much internet access as I wanted as a NOBO