PDA

View Full Version : Bear attack Webster, NC?

mystic
01-29-2008, 13:28
Has anyone heard about the 1st entry on this page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_bear_attacks_in_North_America_by_dec ade) (David Robinson)? I couldn't find anything on the net. So I'm thinking this is just a bad entry. It was added this morning from an address around Herndon, VA.

BR360
01-29-2008, 13:43
Quick Google News & Web search revealed nothing.
Search of the Asheville Citizen-Times revealed nothing.

ed bell
Never heard about it. Also, there are no brown bears roaming around North Carolina.

bigmac_in
I couldn't find anything on any search engines about this. That would be a problem with wikipedia - you can't count on everything being true.

While searching I did find this funny item -

http://socialitelife.buzznet.com/2008/01/21/paris_hilton_loses_fingers_in_bear_attack.php

dessertrat
01-29-2008, 13:49
The Wikipedia article does not cite to any sources for this "attack", so I'm thinking someone got bored and decided to see how long it would be before anyone noticed this fake entry.

mark.k.watson
01-29-2008, 13:56
There are several fatal Wyoming attacks missing from this list. The joys of Wikipedia. you can edit it to suit what you want it to say. Definitely not the best source for factual events.

dessertrat
01-29-2008, 14:00
There are several fatal Wyoming attacks missing from this list. The joys of Wikipedia. you can edit it to suit what you want it to say. Definitely not the best source for factual events.

Maybe someone at the Wyoming tourism board?:-?

bigmac_in
01-29-2008, 14:03
Ed makes a good point about the "Brown" bear. Maybe the guy that posted to Wiki is the same guy that designed the cover of Bryson's book.

Brown, Black, Grizzly - whatever...........

mystic
01-29-2008, 14:24
OK looks like it was just bad info. Wiki has already been update. You are safe hiking in NC again... for now.

Newb
01-29-2008, 15:48
Never heard about it. Also, there are no brown bears roaming around North Carolina.

comment removed. I didn't read the previous posts.

wilconow
01-29-2008, 16:05

Where can one find a good reference for more bear attacks?

CaseyB
01-29-2008, 17:14
Also that info from the '60's looks sketchy to me. Same day, 10 miles apart, 2 different bears? My 1st inclination would be toward bad info.

dessertrat
01-29-2008, 21:28
No, it really happened. Coincidences happen. I think Herrero mentions it in his book.

wilconow
01-29-2008, 22:14
Also that info from the '60's looks sketchy to me. Same day, 10 miles apart, 2 different bears? My 1st inclination would be toward bad info.

There's a whole book about this

http://www.amazon.com/Night-Grizzlies-Jack-Olsen/dp/0943972485/ref=cm_cr-mr-title

wilconow
01-29-2008, 22:17

There's a whole book about this

http://www.amazon.com/Night-Grizzlies-Jack-Olsen/dp/0943972485/ref=cm_cr-mr-title

the good articles on wikipedia will have references links. so if you ever doubt something written, lke caseyB did above, click on the reference link. the link for the event in question goes to a NPS page.

Ron Haven
01-29-2008, 23:17
Has anyone heard about the 1st entry on this page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_bear_attacks_in_North_America_by_dec ade) (David Robinson)? I couldn't find anything on the net. So I'm thinking this is just a bad entry. It was added this morning from an address around Herndon, VA.Webster,NC is less than 20 mile from Franklin.I'm sure if this had happened it would have been all over the local news.I haven't heard any thing here either.

Ramble~On
01-29-2008, 23:58
I live in Sylva...and Webster is so close it might as well be considered Sylva. The only bears around here dance and wear tie dyes, don't eat meat and are against all forms of violence.

Tinker
01-30-2008, 00:12
Bill Bryson's book has some hilarious bear stories in it. Bears are mainly baited by stupid people trying to "tame" them by feeding them. Then they poke around campsites, people see them and claim to have been "attacked". Bears sometimes bluff charge, hoping people will drop their packs and run, and, if they can, they will make off with your improperly hung food sack at night. Some folks sleep with their food, saying the bears are more afraid of humans than they are hungry for food. Shelter campers might bear that out (no pun intended). When I shelter camped in the 90s, I hung my food from the rafters and never worried about (or saw) anything but mice. I'm still waiting to meet "my" bear on the trail. I think I've heard them at night, but they haven't gotten my food (or me :)) yet.
There have been several black bear attacks on or near the trail, one fatal, a few years ago, but people get killed in cars every day. Which is more dangerous?

Big_I
01-30-2008, 00:22

It is now your wiki-duty to document those attacks. THATS the joy of wikipedia.

wilconow
01-30-2008, 00:41
It is now your wiki-duty to document those attacks. THATS the joy of wikipedia.

Nah, it's better to just criticize it and not give a better reference. :rolleyes:

HIKER7s
01-30-2008, 08:27
Ed makes a good point about the "Brown" bear. Maybe the guy that posted to Wiki is the same guy that designed the cover of Bryson's book.

Brown, Black, Grizzly - whatever...........

or he's color blind