PDA

View Full Version : Mariposa durability

Tilly
01-29-2008, 14:01
Question for GG Mariposa (Plus) users, how durable is the pack? Any problems? I am considering taking that pack for a thru instead of my infinetely comfortable, perfectly fitting, and durable Osprey, all in the name of saving 2 pounds. Any feed back would be great.

Hana_Hanger
01-29-2008, 14:29
I loved mine...I had the Mariposa Plus and sold it thinking I would not need it again, and really it was the Large size and I needed the smaller one.
It worked great no matter what for me.

I personally think it is very durable...BUT I take care and do not throw down my pack or sit on my pack...I use a small section of a Z Rest for that. I also never overloaded it pass 30 -35 lbs. On the AT with all the shelters and places available to buy food and not having to carry a heavy bear canister, I would think this would not become a problem.
If you do a lot of side trails or bushwacking...I think you would need to be more careful though.

Many times my sons would come back and carry my pack when I got sick on the trail last year. They were none to careful with it ...that's for sure. I would find it hanging off a tree...wedged between rocks...whenever they got tired of waiting for me to catch up...I was finding it places I would not of left it!!!

At the end of two weeks it still looked new, no marks...nothing...I was very surprised.
So to me it durable for long hikes...many thru-hikers have used this pack on the PCT.

Warning:
Just my not so humble opinion! :)

Frosty
01-29-2008, 19:27
Don't know about the Plus. I have had the original for over two years and it's doing very well.

No signs of strain at seams or strap attachment points, etc.

I love the huge outside pockets.

It is very comfortable (for me) under 25 pounds or so. I had it over 30 twice, once with five days of food in the ADKs and it didn't hang right and was uncomfortable. I ate the heaviest dinner in my pack the first night, and put a bunch of snacks in my belly bag, and it was fine after that. The other time I carried a LOT of water. Again, it was okay after I drank some of the weight off.

dloome
01-29-2008, 20:31
^^Two years, but how many miles?

I have seen three on long distance trails, ALL with split or very strained seams, one with a big tear from it catching while crawling under a blowdown. Meh. Given the available alternatives, I think silnylon is a pretty insane material to make a pack out of.

I think there's just too many MUCH more durable and similarly designed packs out there for me to to buy something with the inherent fragility of the Mariposa. I would check out the Jam 2 or the Granite Gear Virga. I got @4,100 miles out of the Jam 2 before I partially tore a non-critical seam, and Golite had me a new one within a week.

Marta
01-29-2008, 20:35
I bought the Plus because the fabric seemed stronger. Mine has gone through 2/3s of an AT hike (I sent it home when I switched to heavier winter gear, and needed a stronger pack to carry more than 30 pounds) and a JMT hike. It's got plenty of life left in it.

Frosty
01-29-2008, 22:24
^^Two years, but how many miles?

I have seen three on long distance trails, ALL with split or very strained seams, one with a big tear from it catching while crawling under a blowdown. Meh. Given the available alternatives, I think silnylon is a pretty insane material to make a pack out of.

I think there's just too many MUCH more durable and similarly designed packs out there for me to to buy something with the inherent fragility of the Mariposa. I would check out the Jam 2 or the Granite Gear Virga. I got @4,100 miles out of the Jam 2 before I partially tore a non-critical seam, and Golite had me a new one within a week.Umm, I think you have your packs confused. Are you thinking of the Gossamer Gear Whisper. That is a fragile pack that most of us would find too delicate to use.

But the Mariposa and Virga are all made of the same basic weight (1.3 ounces per sq yard) silicon impregnated rip-stop nylon fabric. The Mariposa Plus is made of slightly heavier rip-stop (2.2 ounces per sq yard). (By comparison, the Whisper's fabric is only 0.97 ounces per square yard.)

The Jam 2 is a slightly different fabric, with a tougher thread used in the rip-stop grid. That makes it a bit heavier, though, and although my Race has held up well, Golite problems with stitching and strap attachment points are well documented. You pays your money and you takes your choice.

It's easy to get into "my gear is better than your gear" arguments, but in this case there just isn't that much difference between the packs to make material a consideration. Select by which pack's design and fit works best for you. And by what actual users of the packs have to say, of course, rather than salesmen, etc.

And remember that ultralight is not ultrastrong. Don't be dragging packs under spruce blowdowns and catching them on those pointy branch ends.

whiterockjock
01-30-2008, 09:57
I have had my GG Mariposa + about 6 months and LOVE it. I also only carry LIGHT gear (GG twinnspinn tarp, WM ultralight bag,GG torso pad). I KNOW it will make the whole trip on the AT and then some!