PDA

View Full Version : water proof stuff sack

stickat04
01-02-2004, 13:14
I need a water proof stuff sack for my sleeping bag. Is it easier to just put the sleeping bag in the the bag it comes in and then a garbage bag?

Rain Man
01-02-2004, 13:21
I need a water proof stuff sack for my sleeping bag. Is it easier to just put the sleeping bag in the the bag it comes in and then a garbage bag?

Do it the other way around. IMHO.

Then put ANOTHER plastic bag over that. The general advice is you want your sleeping bag double sacked. Plus, you will have two plastic bags in case another real need comes up for one or both.

Rain Man

Blue Jay
01-02-2004, 13:25
I use a kayak bag for a stuff sack. Garbage bags get holes precisely at the exact wrong time. Sure it's a little heavy, but sleep in a wet bag and you may see it my way.

Peaks
01-02-2004, 16:48
Sil-nylon is waterproof and light. You might consider replacing the stuff sack that come with the sleeping bag with a sil nylon stuff sack.

However, sil-nylon is about as puncture resitant as plastic. If it's going inside your pack, then it will probably work. If it's going outside your pack, such as strapped to an external frame, then I suggest using the nylon stuff sack that come with your sleeping bag, and lining that with a heavy duty plastic bag.

No matter what, I still advocate a good rain cover for your entire pack. My solution for keeping things dry is layering. A good rain cover over the pack, and everything inside my pack in plastic bags or sil-nylon bags.

grant-cuz
01-16-2004, 18:03
I recently bought a waterproof compression stuff sack from Altrec.com made by Exped.com.

I think that there are Hydroseal waterproof compression stuff sacks made by orgear.com

Moon Monster
01-16-2004, 20:00
Another option, if you can find them, is the large Ziploc brand bags. Ziploc started test-marketing extra-large durable bags (up to 10 gallon, I think) in select Wal-Marts (camping aisle) and Bass Pro Shops a year ago. I imagine they are still being sold, and maybe in other places.

I have a down bag that is very compressible and the smaller of the two large sizes worked well for me to seal up my bag. The larger size seemed big enough to be a pack liner.

You get several in one pack and you can swap them out when one becomes worn. I've used two different ones over 2400 miles so far. Much much cheaper and lighter than OR's Hydroseal.

Footslogger
01-17-2004, 15:15
I used a silnylon stuff sack and had no problems keeping my down bag dry in 2003. One thing I did that probably helped a great deal though was to use a plastic trash compactor bag a liner in my backpack. Went from Springer to Katahdin and never had anything get wet inside my backpack ...and 2003 was a VERY wet year !!

uscgretired
01-17-2004, 19:06
Just purchased the extra large Ziploc bags at our local Basspro Shop. The Ziploc bag fits my Gregory Reality perfectly. I also purchased from REI (on sale) the Outdoor Research (OR) Hydroseal stuff sack to keep my NF Blue Kazoo sleeping bag in. I keep my clothes in a Granite Gear waterproof stuff sack and everything else in Ziploc bags. Not much more one could do to keep everything dry other than to not hike in the rain.

Crispi72
02-11-2006, 22:01
Outdoor Research makes some incredibly light stuff sacks for sleeping bags and anything else. You can get compression sacks, waterproof sacks and regular sacks. I find they are durbale and the lightness of them is awesome

Seeker
02-12-2006, 15:48
JRB sells a nice stuff sack for their hammock underquilt. it holds my down bag fine too... might be too tight for a similar synthetic bag though.

tailwind105
02-12-2006, 20:06
I have the GraniteGear Air Compressor compression sack for my sleeping bag. Even though GraniteGear is expensive, its a lightweight sack, which if compressed correctly, will keep your bag dry.

when i first got it i did a few tests to see how well it held up in wet conditions. After spraying it with a garden hose and than dunking it in the bath tub (for only a second), my bag was still nice a dry. I haven't hiked in the rain much and only have had the chance to use it once in the rain. However it did its job prefectly. I must warn though, that if the bag is not compressed properly, it will leak the same way a normal stuff sack would.

neo
02-12-2006, 20:14

i use ziplock and silnylon bags:cool: neo

Topcat
02-12-2006, 21:04
i use ziplock bags for everything and line my pack with plastic trash bag as well. I slip a plastic trash bag inside my sleeping bag stuff sack and my sleeping bag inside both and then a pack cover over everything.

I never thought about trash compacter bags, are they tougher? the size seems better than what i use now

Kerosene
02-12-2006, 21:27
I put a trash bag inside a silnyl stuffsack and stuff my sleeping bag inside the plastic trash bag. This arrangement puts lets stress on the plastic, which serves as the backup to the silnyl stuffsack.

verber
02-13-2006, 00:55
It's better to put the trash bag inside the stuff sack because the stuff sack is more durable and less likely to get holes. Other options:

Just use a plastic bag. I use size large (or was that extra large) oven roasting bag which is mylar. Rather durable, very light.

Use a pack liner like those sold by gossamer gear. Let your sleeping bag take up as much room as you can afford to minimize compression.

Sea 2 Summit makes some really nice ultralight drybags.

--mark

Weldman
02-19-2006, 20:19
Anyone checked out the dollar stores, they have PVC stuff sacks 22"x 30" great for spare clothing and a down sleeping bag fits in to one bag. If you want the added protection wrap it all in a garbage first.

Mike

Mike & Gloria Walsh
02-19-2006, 20:42
Has anybody used those space compression bags made out of plastic,
from WalMart?:-?
We use them in our luggage when flying, but never tried them hiking.

Mike and Gloria
Ga>ME 2007

River Runner
02-20-2006, 02:27
I would hesitate to store my sleeping bag only in a Zip-lock - they can easily fail.

DLFrost
02-22-2006, 04:12
Has anybody used those space compression bags made out of plastic,
from WalMart?:-?
We use them in our luggage when flying, but never tried them hiking.
I've used one or two for the Frog Toggs pro action suit I have. Since I'd have to have a plastic bag of some kind to store them when damp anyway I decided to try one of the Space-type bags so they'd also take up less space in the pack. Pressed flat and encased in slick plastic, they are easier store and retrieve down along the sides of the pack. I don't have enough experience to tell whether this is good for the long haul, however.

As discussed in another thread, I use OR Hydroseal roll-down bags for the down sleeping bags. One of those weighs less than a compression-bag + plastic liner combo.

Doug Frost

kyhipo
02-22-2006, 10:15
I also have used a kyak water proof bag for my last several hikes:D ky

khaynie
02-22-2006, 10:22
Our bags never got wet on our thru and we used the following technique:

Lined pack with lawn and leaf bag. Then stuffed/crammed sleeping bag in; the rest followed.

6 in one hand and 1/2 dozen in the other...

fishinfred
02-22-2006, 11:01
Our bags never got wet on our thru and we used the following technique:

Lined pack with lawn and leaf bag. Then stuffed/crammed sleeping bag in; the rest followed.

6 in one hand and 1/2 dozen in the other...

Yep thats what I found to be best also.Use a heavyduty Trash bag ,put the sleeping bag in (and close it) then pile everything else on top of it ,which compresses it nicely. Not like the compression sacs (which i found when used alone eventually soak thru ) not to mention the space of a Big Ball of Sleeping bag compared to a Flattened one this way.
It works , just keep a spare Bag or be extra careful with the one you're using.

'You can't git to Maine ....if you dont hike in the rain'
(8 yr old girl in shelter (smokeys) to a Thru Hiker when he was wimpering about Not goin out there in the rain.....) TRUE !