PDA

View Full Version : First Hike

johnmartin
01-29-2008, 15:04
Hi all,

I am a new member as of today and I have been perusing the forums all morning and I must say there is a lot of information here. I mainly joined because my son, who graduates in May, has taken an interest in hiking. In an effort to spend more time with him I told him that as a graduation present I would take him on a hiking trip on the AT. He LOVED the idea and is very excited to get started. We will actually start the hike in Jun 08.

Living in SC we are very close to the southern terminus of the trail and I am tossing around ideas as to whether to actually start there or move north and start somewhere like Fontana Dam. I have been to GSMNP before but it has been some time. I love the area and want our first trip to have scenery galore, as well as make it a respectable hike as far as difficulty is concerned (something this 40 yo can do in 7 days). It looks like the distance is just over 70 miles and as I said we will have 9 days to make the trip (1 day each way to/from home and 7 hiking days).

Is this a good place to go or would we be better served starting at the beginning? I have no way of knowing whether we will want to continue each year until we do our first one, but I would say we would make it an annual trek. I also have a 13 yo that may want to come with us.

Questions arise like food for the trail (are there any places to resupply in the park), camping (I assume a permit is required in the park), etc.

I hope to spend a lot more time on here and if there is a message I have not seen but should read please let me know. I will read all the articles as I get the chance as they are full of information.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks a bunch and look forward to possibly meeting you on the trail.

John Martin
Fort Mill, SC

Lyle
01-29-2008, 15:20
Welcome.

I'm sure you will get plenty of advice here as well as suggestions. I have a couple of questions. Do either of you have any backpacking experience? Equipment? You mentioned your son has taken an interest in hiking, has this been from Scouts or some other group, or just with his buddies?

There are any number of great potential hikes for you to start with. The beginning is some of the more challenging hiking from what I have heard. I myself am close to 800 miles into the AT, but only about 7 miles of that have been south of Damascus. I will say, my first backpacking trip ever was in the Smokey's and it hooked be for life.

You may want to consider where the bulk of thru-hikers will be at that time of year and plan to hit that area if a goal is to expose your son to that possibility. Your 13 year old is plenty old enough to join you if you choose, but it could change the bonding experience you may have with your older son. It would make it a father/son situation instead of the potential of two adult men bonding. Just some things to consider when deciding what you want this opportunity to accomplish.

Whatever you decide, I'm positive it will be a GREAT experience for you both!

Lyle

johnmartin
01-29-2008, 15:41
Welcome.

I'm sure you will get plenty of advice here as well as suggestions. I have a couple of questions. Do either of you have any backpacking experience? Equipment? You mentioned your son has taken an interest in hiking, has this been from Scouts or some other group, or just with his buddies?

There are any number of great potential hikes for you to start with. The beginning is some of the more challenging hiking from what I have heard. I myself am close to 800 miles into the AT, but only about 7 miles of that have been south of Damascus. I will say, my first backpacking trip ever was in the Smokey's and it hooked be for life.

You may want to consider where the bulk of thru-hikers will be at that time of year and plan to hit that area if a goal is to expose your son to that possibility. Your 13 year old is plenty old enough to join you if you choose, but it could change the bonding experience you may have with your older son. It would make it a father/son situation instead of the potential of two adult men bonding. Just some things to consider when deciding what you want this opportunity to accomplish.

Whatever you decide, I'm positive it will be a GREAT experience for you both!

Lyle

Lyle,

He does not have any backpacking experience so we will probably go on some weekenders around the state between now and then as a prep course. I have some experience (if you count all the 20+ mile hikes through the woods and desert in the military LOL). His desire to hike stems from him loving the outdoors and wanting to be out more.

We bought him a nice pack from REI for Christmas and with the money he got he bought himself a nice 2 main tent, and good (read light) sleeping bag /stuff sack. I will have to get equipment but that is not really an issue or a problem. I planned on it anyway. Tax returns are coming soon :)

My other son coming along was his idea too. Sounds like a good outing for all of us and something that could continue for years to come.

Both of my boys are football players and wrestlers so they are in better shape than me for sure. My younger son took 2nd place in the middle school SC State Finals last Sat at 160lbs. My oldest is ranked #10 in SC at 215lbs (but he is really 189lbs but has wrestled up 1 weight class all year until last week) Undefeated at 189 this year.

I will keep reading and garnering more info. One of the guys in my office has been section hiking the trail for years and is up near PA now. He started at the south end. I would love to be able to do that.

John

Newb
01-29-2008, 15:45
If your yard is big enough have your son sleep in his tent and cook all his meals as if he were hiking for 2 days. You should join him.

If that seems dumb, just head up to the foothills trail for a long weekend.

johnmartin
01-29-2008, 15:55
I like that idea.

Pennsylvania Rose
01-29-2008, 15:57
As over-used as the AT in the Smokies is, it's one of my favorite places in the world. The Roan Mountain and Mt. Rogers areas are beautiful and have great views, too.

ScottP
01-29-2008, 15:57
Good for you and your boys. I'm also a former wrestler (197 lbs)--wrestling will get you in shape for pretty much anything, including hiking. If you can't keep up just put some of your gear in their packs.

You might as well just start from the southern terminus (Georgia). It's one of the easier parts of south 1/4 of the AT--people just think it's hard because it is their first section out.

Either that, or you might want to pick one of the most scenic sections (Smokies, Roan Highlands). I would recommend hiking during the thru-hiker off-season. There's already way too many people on the trails at that time of the year.

bigmac_in
01-29-2008, 16:03
How close to Springer do you live? There are plenty of trailheads from Springer north. You could do a couple weekend trips before June. After those you can decide whether to continue from where you are or jump up to Fontana. Either way, you can't go wrong. Most of the thru-hiker rush is over by June. I'll be hiking from Unicoi gap north for a week in June as well - maybe we'll run into each other.

bigmc

Dkeener
01-29-2008, 17:55
Start slow. Do a couple of day hikes with full gear to get a feel for how things go. Cook lunch on your stove and practice pitching the tent. Then move up to a couple of overnights and he should be an experienced hiker and ready for a long trip.

cowpoke
01-29-2008, 21:52
Welcome. Check out the Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega, GA www.hikerhostel.com That will give you some idea about where to park your car and shuttles. Since this will be your first hike with your kids you may want to keep re-supply fairly easy. I might suggest staying at the hiker hostel first night (drive day) and starting at either Springer or Woody Gap and walking to Dicks Creek Gap (Hiawassee, GA)..from Springer it's a good 6 day walk..a bit easier from Woody Gap. Just a thought...have a great hike. cheers...

bloodmountainman
01-29-2008, 21:58
Welcome to the real world John! I commend you on your parenting! You sound like the kind of dad this world needs! Backpacking adventures are excellant for forming bonds with your boys.
Come on down to Ga. and get a state section done. We have some pretty good hills here. Be glad to offer any advice or assistance.
Happy trails

Marty_Mcfly
01-29-2008, 22:10
John,

Don't write off hiking within the wonderful state of South Carolina. I am from South Carolina as well (Columbia). I don't know if you are aware of it, but there is a wonderful 86 mile trail in the upstate called the foothills trail. It runs from Table Rock State Park to Oconee State Park. It is beautiful and remote. I haven't hiked it, but I've been in the general vicinity and its a beautiful area. Hiking is a good way to connect with someone. Good luck on your hike.

DuctTape
01-30-2008, 00:50
I think you should start at the southern terminus, because it sounds like you eventually plan to do more of the AT in the future - what a better place to start than Springer Mountain? Although if you're looking for "scenery galore," I suppose Erwin, TN to Damascus, VA would fit the bill.

As far as beginner's backpacking advice, I'd say the most important thing is to make sure your shoes fit. I mean really fit. With your loaded pack on, walk up and down some inclines, kick 'em around a bit, etc. They wear much differently with a loaded pack.

MuddyBugger
01-30-2008, 22:58
Some things a boy never forgets.....learning to play catch with his dad.....working on the old car with his father.....hiking/camping trips through the years.

I think that while the southern terminus may not be the most spectacular piece of the AT it would be a good place for father and sons to begin a tradition, with hopes that possibly one day they could finish together on Mt. Katahdin......Don't know about you but I couldn't picture a much better place to have a memory that lasts a lifetime.

Good hiking to you and your boys!