PDA

View Full Version : Uncle Johnny's is listed in 2008 Companion

Kirby
01-29-2008, 19:26
Hi everyone:

I wanted to let everyone know that Uncle Johnny's is listed in the 2008 Companion, I know this is an icky subject for some people, which is perfectly fine. I know there was debate a little while back as to whether it should be listed or not, and it has.

Marta, it looks like they followed your recommendation.

Mods, feel free to move this to the right section of the site, I just posted it here to ensure as many people as possible saw it.

Hope this helps/settles arguments,
Kirby

Lone Wolf
01-29-2008, 19:49
a good political move. gotta sell more guides to keep up with the new Appalachian Pages and Bob's Thru-Hiker Handbook

Blissful
01-29-2008, 20:03
a good political move. gotta sell more guides to keep up with the new Appalachian Pages and Bob's Thru-Hiker Handbook

Aw man and I was gonna say LW won this round.

Just burning down shelters and losing trail magic and going SOBO or bust and using trek poles as curtain rods and sending mail drops to your mother and drinking staight out of mud holes with no treatment to go...and we will have the perfect Lone Wolf hike!

:D

(couldn't resist. I like Uncle Johnny anyway. He helped arrange our slackpack in the snow last year. Nice guy. And his gear prices were reasonable. Got our Nalgene canteen there, and it was the cheapest on the trail)

doggiebag
01-29-2008, 20:13
Wonderful news. Good for UJ's.

Marta
01-29-2008, 20:41
I'm pleased to hear it.

BTW, the biggest jackass I met in '06 was Doc, of The Barn at Libby House. And yet I would not want to cut the listing from the Companion.

A-Train
01-29-2008, 20:44
I'm glad to hear this. I've heard lots of encouraging positive reports from hikers who've stayed at UJ's the last 2-3 years. Sounds like he's gotten his act together after running a pretty crummy hostel for years (from the many instances I've heard, I didn't stay with him).

He paid the price for his actions (by having his hostel removed from the Companion and sounds like he's used it as a lesson to run the place more kosher. Sounds good for all.

Appalachian Tater
01-29-2008, 21:11
Not being in the guide was more symbolic than anything else because he is right on the trail. It is good to hear that he has changed his poor behavior for the better.

Lone Wolf
01-29-2008, 21:22
Not being in the guide was more symbolic than anything else because he is right on the trail. It is good to hear that he has changed his poor behavior for the better.

no it wasn't. there's other guides. it hurt the Companion. sales will be down this year

BooBoo
01-30-2008, 01:26
I'm pleased to hear it.

BTW, the biggest jackass I met in '06 was Doc, of The Barn at Libby House. And yet I would not want to cut the listing from the Companion.

That is certainly sad to hear. The former owners Paul and Maggie and good ol' Scavenger were absolutely wonderful pholks.

btw: Anyone have contact info for them?

Tennessee Viking
01-30-2008, 02:12
Ask UJ's about Lost Cove. Its a great history lesson.

Buddha Child hope to make the trip soon.

bfitz
01-30-2008, 02:16
It ought to be listed in the companion. Even though UJ is a jerk and did threaten to shoot me one time. :p

bfitz
01-30-2008, 02:16
Not that anyone can miss it companion or not.

DuctTape
01-30-2008, 02:34
good ol' Scavenger were absolutely wonderful pholks.

Absolutely. Could play a mean game of chess, too.

fehchet
01-30-2008, 08:18
what ever

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-30-2008, 08:23
It ought to be listed in the companion. Even though UJ is a jerk and did threaten to shoot me one time. :pI agree. Personally, I would never stay there because of how shamefully he has treated Miss Janet, but I do agree his facility should be listed if he is now reliability providing suitable accommodations.

dixicritter
01-30-2008, 08:32
Hi everyone:

I wanted to let everyone know that Uncle Johnny's is listed in the 2008 Companion, I know this is an icky subject for some people, which is perfectly fine. I know there was debate a little while back as to whether it should be listed or not, and it has.

Marta, it looks like they followed your recommendation.

Mods, feel free to move this to the right section of the site, I just posted it here to ensure as many people as possible saw it.

Hope this helps/settles arguments,
Kirby

Kirby,

Thank you for providing this information. You are correct this can be a touchy subject, however what's happened in the past is the past and can't be changed now. Miss Janet has repeatedly asked that everyone drop the negativity toward Uncle Johnny so I feel we should all respect her wishes on this and keep this thread from turning ugly for her sake.

Thanks again Kirby. :)

warren doyle
01-30-2008, 09:17
Finally, after many years, and unjust slight corrected.

MOWGLI
01-30-2008, 09:25
I'm glad to hear this. I've heard lots of encouraging positive reports from hikers who've stayed at UJ's the last 2-3 years. Sounds like he's gotten his act together after running a pretty crummy hostel for years (from the many instances I've heard, I didn't stay with him).

I enjoyed my stay with UJ in 2000. In fact, I met Miss J there 'cause she was shuttling for him at the time. If I hadn't stayed with UJ, I never would have met Miss J.

earlyriser26
01-30-2008, 09:55
Good it is about time.

Skyline
01-30-2008, 10:00
I know from personal experience UJ can be a great trail resource and a nice guy. I also know from people I respect he can be the opposite. The Companion has taken the high road here, based upon several years of mostly good behavior by UJ. Good for them. And good for UJ.

From this point on, I hope everyone can let bygones be bygones and work together for the common good. Erwin is big enough, and important enough, to support more than one hostel. At prime time it certainly needs more than one.

Lone Wolf
01-30-2008, 10:04
The Companion has taken the high road here, based upon several years of mostly good behavior by UJ.

they probably caught a lot of flack and succummed to the pressure

Skyline
01-30-2008, 10:16
they probably caught a lot of flack and succummed to the pressure

Maybe.

But it's still a step in the right direction that may lead to something permanent and positive. I'm thinking UJ may be on some kind of probationary period. I hope all concerned do well.

A-Train
01-30-2008, 11:09
There are plenty of hikers to go around for both UJ and Miss Janet (when she starts hosting hikers again). Maybe things will change if she moves into a Center, but I believe by law she wasn't allowed to house more than 12 hikers a night. Anyone who's been in the southern Apps in april and May know there are a lot more than 12 hikers rolling through a day.

It's nice people have good options, and a motel too, should they want privacy. Still though, I couldn't imagine ever NOT staying with Miss Janet, The salt of the earth!

Grampie
01-31-2008, 10:33
Ask UJ's about Lost Cove. Its a great history lesson.

Buddha Child hope to make the trip soon.

If you really want to get a rise from UJ ask him who Miss Janet is. Am I right T.J.?:eek:

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-31-2008, 10:49
Seriously, if you want a prayer of having a good experience at Uncle Johnny's, do not under any circumstances mention Miss Janet. Probably 95% of the problems I've heard about with UJ have come about due to his reaction to the mere mention of her name. MJ has taken the high road and moved past the difficulties and does not contribute to threads or IRL convos that bash him nor does she encourage such things - perhaps UJ will do the same one day. Until he does, he off the Dinos list of providers regardless of what guides list him.

Lone Wolf
01-31-2008, 10:51
when i used to go to Shaw's i would bring up the Pie Lady while Kieth was cookin' breakfast. man that was funny! :D

Wanderingson
01-31-2008, 10:54
Seriously, if you want a prayer of having a good experience at Uncle Johnny's, do not under any circumstances mention Miss Janet. Probably 95% of the problems I've heard about with UJ have come about due to his reaction to the mere mention of her name. MJ has taken the high road and moved past the difficulties and does not contribute to threads or IRL convos that bash him nor does she encourage such things - perhaps UJ will do the same one day. Until he does, he off the Dinos list of providers regardless of what guides list him.

WOW--I have only been priledged to a few references to the UJ/MJ debate and do not know any of the details. I read read several posts about UJ mistreating MJ, but have not been privledged to any of the details. I would certainly been interested to here some of the specific details, but a public forum may not be the best place to air this information.

Skyline
01-31-2008, 11:00

Feedback I've heard from '06 and '07 hikers who stayed at Johnny's is that he didn't rant about Miss Janet or any other provider. And I asked, during conversations about various hostels, shuttlers, etc.. Maybe he's learned to take the high road too? If there is any credible evidence to the contrary, I guess I've been out of the loop.

If ATC or ALDHA were still getting the quantity of complaints about UJs that they were getting earlier this decade, it is doubtful that the Companion would be giving him a second chance. At least I want to believe that, so we can just all get along.

Pedaling Fool
01-31-2008, 11:04
WOW--I have only been priledged to a few references to the UJ/MJ debate and do not know any of the details. I read read several posts about UJ mistreating MJ, but have not been privledged to any of the details. I would certainly been interested to here some of the specific details, but a public forum may not be the best place to air this information.
Same here, I'm very new to the AT community and know really nothing compared to so many here. However, I'm done with these crazy infighting issues as well as this UJ/MJ issue. I don't doubt any of the stories, just getting sick of hearing all this.......

SGT Rock
01-31-2008, 11:24
Yes, lets not re-hash old history. Everyone should move on and forgive and forget.

Now when is the new version going to be on-line?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-31-2008, 11:43
Feedback I've heard from '06 and '07 hikers who stayed at Johnny's is that he didn't rant about Miss Janet or any other provider. And I asked, during conversations about various hostels, shuttlers, etc.. Maybe he's learned to take the high road too?
Yes, lets not re-hash old history. Everyone should move on and forgive and forget.Wonderful to hear that he has changed!!! And I'm not going to rehash it... but I won't ignore it either.

Pootz
01-31-2008, 12:12
Glad to hear he is listed. I stayed at UJ's in 2007. Could not have had a better time. UJ and his staff took care of our every need.

Pootz 2007

Pedaling Fool
01-31-2008, 12:16
...Now when is the new version going to be on-line?
I'm going to buy it, my latest version is 2005, but my local outfitter does not have it yet. Anyone know about how long it takes before outfitters start seeing them and is there an average timeframe of when they are uploaded on the ALDHA website?

chief
01-31-2008, 12:41
Seriously, if you want a prayer of having a good experience at Uncle Johnny's, do not under any circumstances mention Miss Janet. Probably 95% of the problems I've heard about with UJ have come about due to his reaction to the mere mention of her name. MJ has taken the high road and moved past the difficulties and does not contribute to threads or IRL convos that bash him nor does she encourage such things - perhaps UJ will do the same one day. Until he does, he off the Dinos list of providers regardless of what guides list him.Bull****, MJ pops in occasionally to stir the pot, then hops back up on her so-called high road, leaving her flock to do the dirty work.

The Weasel
01-31-2008, 12:50
FD and Chief (and a few others), I think it's time to let the topic of dispute, whatever it once was, between John and Janet, die. John doesn't post here, ever, to my knowledge, and Janet only infrequently; neither has an obligation to share the details of their relationshp with us, so I don't think we are in a position to expect one or hold it against either for not providing one. Each has and/or will provide a service to hikers, and all (including them, I'm sure) hope to make it satisfying for their customers. It's time to just stop making old and new participants here feel like they have to choose sides in a dispute that the disputants seem to have put behind them. Let's follow their example.

TW

A-Train
01-31-2008, 12:56
FD and Chief (and a few others), I think it's time to let the topic of dispute, whatever it once was, between John and Janet, die. John doesn't post here, ever, to my knowledge, and Janet only infrequently; neither has an obligation to share the details of their relationshp with us, so I don't think we are in a position to expect one or hold it against either for not providing one. Each has and/or will provide a service to hikers, and all (including them, I'm sure) hope to make it satisfying for their customers. It's time to just stop making old and new participants here feel like they have to choose sides in a dispute that the disputants seem to have put behind them. Let's follow their example.

TW

Great post. Agreed. Lay this one down.

warren doyle
01-31-2008, 13:00
And not let a situation like this (UJ's exclusion from the ALDHA Companion) happen again.

Miss Janet
01-31-2008, 13:08
Hello, Miss Janet just POPPING in to stir the pot... thanks for reminding me Chief!

Actually, I can't find my broom so I just wanted to say that I am glad that the Nolichucky Hostel is listed this year. The past is the past and things do change... very often for the better. The reasons the business was not listed are also in the past. The place is great for hikers and i was always proud of the thought that went into what was there for hikers.

Erwin is changing as a trail town. Hikers are changing and all up the AT things are changing. As it always has and always will.

There is plenty of business for those of us that choose to make Erwin our home. Those of you who don't LIVE here and do not understand the town or the people involved in the situations shouldn't be so quick to judge us.

Now, back to my high horse... I mean my high road. I do hope the flock all has a great day!

Alligator
01-31-2008, 13:11
Yeah, can we all just give it a flocking rest already;).

Pedaling Fool
01-31-2008, 13:19
...Those of you who don't LIVE here and do not understand the town or the people involved in the situations shouldn't be so quick to judge us....
I'll admit I'm not from there and I'm not judging, but why'd y'all have to hang that elephant;)

sherrill
01-31-2008, 13:32
A town full of democrats? :D

The Weasel
01-31-2008, 13:40
Janet:

I have wonderful memories of Erwin from 2000, including staying (twice) at Uncle Johnny's, having my daughter visit me there before she left for the Peace Corps, and my gratitude at the kindness of the library and the Chamber of Commerce when I needed their help.

It's a good town, and despite problems that all small towns have, one that I am sure will get better as days go by. Wish I was there now, since I see that Doc Watson will be performing up in Johnson City soon, too!

TW

Nean
01-31-2008, 13:48
And not let a situation like this (UJ's exclusion from the ALDHA Companion) happen again.

UJ exclusion was well earned and deserved. Lets hope UJs behavior doesn't warrant exclusion again.

The Weasel
01-31-2008, 13:51
UJ exclusion was well earned and deserved. Lets hope UJs behavior doesn't warrant exclusion again.

Let's hope people stop raising the issue, too.

TW

Nean
01-31-2008, 13:57
Let's hope people stop raising the issue, too.

TW

As long as unsaid issues have been resolved, agreed.:)

bfitz
01-31-2008, 14:18
I dunno. I know everyone wants peace and reconciliation, and I'm down with that, but I never got a personal apology and I doubt anyone else ever has either. Fact is, some of us who personally experienced something both threatening and frightening (as well as pathetic) imagine that such behavior would have a tendency to recur (and other stories seem to support that it does recur...) and maybe others should be warned. That's the point here, warning people so they don't have a bad experience, not bashing UJ just for fun. Maybe only a small percentage of visitors were ever threatened with an axe or told they will be shot, but seriously, how many does it take for that to be a serious issue? If MJ's is full up or not happening there's alway Holiday inn and you get a free ice cream and they have a hot tub. Just my two cents. Sorry if it seems like I'm just dredging up rancor, but I'll never forget my experience and If you were my friend I'd recommend you stay somewhere else.

Mountain Dew
01-31-2008, 14:21
UJ deserved everything bit of his ban and then some. He was a jerk then and most likely is still one unless he has stopped drinking. I wouldn't stay there if his hostel was the only one in the middle of a 200 mile wilderness. He has the worst reputation of any of the hostel owners that I know of. Mr. Contra Trail Cancer himself endorses him....go figure.

There are alot of people on here that don't know all the bad things UJ did, but yet think the past shouldn't be remembered. He is a mean spirited person and I don't believe he has or ever will change that. He's the second biggest TRAIL CANCER we have at present.

Chief..You're wrong. Miss Janet takes the high road because she has one fault in life, in my opinion. She is toooooo nice. If she was driving down the road and saw UJ with a flat tire, with no way to change it, then she would stop to assist him in anyway she could. Who could honestly say that UJ would do the same for her ?

He should be banned until he states that he is truly remorseful for what he has done. To all those who stay there i say this. Keep an eye on your gear ...especially the packages you have mailed there. I know several hikers who.....well you get the hint.

DavidNH
01-31-2008, 14:23

It is a good thinkg Uncle Johnny's hostel is listed. It's a fine place. IN 2006 I was originally going to go to Miss Janets, attempted to hitch the wrong road and got a lift by a van from Uncle Johnny's. I mentioned Miss Jannet being in middle of Town but the Lady told me that UJ gives three free shuttles a day for guests. And they charge only like 12.50 per night for dorm space. few more bucks for laundry. WOW great deal!

I will venture a guess that Uncle Johnny is not real cordial towards Miss Janet simply because they are in competition with each other. But hey..there are plenty of hikers to go around. Plus Uncle Jonny's is right off the trail!! I have no complaints!

DavidNH

SGT Rock
01-31-2008, 14:45
Lord here we go again. This is the sort of crap that needs to stop. Were arguing the same old stuff over and over again. Leave it alone. Picking at a healing scab only makes it worse.

the goat
01-31-2008, 15:00
Picking at a healing scab only makes it worse.

but then you can eat it, which is delicious.

Mountain Dew
01-31-2008, 15:03
Lord here we go again. This is the sort of crap that needs to stop. Were arguing the same old stuff over and over again. Leave it alone. Picking at a healing scab only makes it worse.

Who says that it is old ? He hasn't changed. He's still really friendly to some and a trail cancer to others Rock

SGT Rock
01-31-2008, 15:13
I'm talking about all this taking up sides against one in favor of the other. It has the ring of a schoolyard argument where everyone's friends get in and egg the thing on. Everyone getting on and egging the battle over UJ vs Ms Janet doesn't help either of them.

bfitz
01-31-2008, 15:54
Sorry Rock, this isn't about Miss Janet at all!! If she never existed (the world would be a far sadder place, obviously, and it's true, I can't help loving her...but...) UJ would still have the problems he has. Everything I have against UJ he did to me personally. Until I met him I had no preconcieved notion of him. If anyone wants to hear the whole story I'd be happy to tell it... I've posted it on WB before in ages past. I was a newbie and didn't know anything about the rift between MJ and UJ when it happened. I know how you hate this back and forth stuff, but if a bad egg lived in your neighborhood shouldn't you tell your new neighbors? Isn't it an obligation to warn people about such things? If something really terrible happened wouldn't we feel guilty if we overlooked the past over and over again? Yeah, UJ's is there, probably the best spot on the trail for a hostel and super convenient and the vast majority of folks who stay there have a great time, but Whiteblaze is a place where others come to hear what their fellow hikers have experienced so they can plan for a good trip. I'm not being a friend to anyone if I keep quiet. Forget the past and someone is doomed to repeat it.

That being said, your stay if you choose to stay there will likely be pleasant and your nap by the river will be awesome, your nights sleep (if that's you're only concern) will be restful, and when you wake up you're right on the trail, no hitching, no waiting for a shuttle to get organized, breakfast to be over or any of that...you're up and outta there for a full day of hiking as early as you want. It's a perfect spot, and snickers bars are 35 cents.

SGT Rock
01-31-2008, 16:10
Bfitz, the issue is as long as this sort of thing goes on it never quiets down. We are not ever going to change either party by arguing it here, but we can make it worse by arguing it here. Think about it.

Skyline
01-31-2008, 16:21
I'm going to buy it, my latest version is 2005, but my local outfitter does not have it yet. Anyone know about how long it takes before outfitters start seeing them and is there an average timeframe of when they are uploaded on the ALDHA website?

You can get it now by calling ATC at 1-888-ATSTORE.

bfitz
01-31-2008, 16:47
Bfitz, the issue is as long as this sort of thing goes on it never quiets down. We are not ever going to change either party by arguing it here, but we can make it worse by arguing it here. Think about it.
Not trying to change any party, just making sure that those seeking info will see the warning. I know people get uppity about their opinions, myself included, but I really have no agenda other than to warn other hikers so they don't experience what I experienced. If you tell me to stop outright I will, but I think the new hikers on the scene have a right to know, that's what this is all about, sharing experiences so others can have better hikes.

Lone Wolf
01-31-2008, 16:50
same with Dave's Place hostel and wally. that thread got whacked. maybe this one needs whacking

The Weasel
01-31-2008, 16:52
Brendan, you've said it plenty. Anyone here searching about Uncle Johnny's is going to see your, and other, posts. And if someone asks you, you can respond. But it's time to give this a rest. Neither you, nor anyone else, is saying anything that they haven't said before and that hasn't been said in an abundance. Further dredging of the past only is likely to worsen a situation that seems like it is trying to heal.

The Weasel

SGT Rock
01-31-2008, 17:01
same with Dave's Place hostel and wally. that thread got whacked. maybe this one needs whacking
Maybe, but it would be nice if occasionally folks got over it all by themselves instead of someone having to play grown-up.

Brendan, you've said it plenty. Anyone here searching about Uncle Johnny's is going to see your, and other, posts. And if someone asks you, you can respond. But it's time to give this a rest. Neither you, nor anyone else, is saying anything that they haven't said before and that hasn't been said in an abundance. Further dredging of the past only is likely to worsen a situation that seems like it is trying to heal.

The Weasel
Exactly what I was thinking Weasel. UJ doesn't even post here, and Ms Janet herself has asked everyone many times to drop it. Lets all do the same.

Frosty
01-31-2008, 17:05
Brendan .....You need to honor people's screen names. If people take a screen name other than their real name, and don't sign with their real name, it is unseemly and a breach of netiquette to post their real names.

bfitz
01-31-2008, 17:06

The WeaselWell okay, you're right. I guess when a new thread comes up it reminds us of the past. I said I'd quit it if asked, guess I'm being asked. Anyone who wants any info feel free to PM me.

chomp
01-31-2008, 17:31
Everyone makes mistakes, and UJ has made some big ones in the past. Big enough, in my mind, to warrant him being removed from the ALDHA book. However, people also should be allowed to make up for their mistakes, and be given a chance to show that they have changed. I haven't heard any of the overwhelmingly bad stories about his hostel like I heard and experienced from years ago.

ALHDA including him in the Companion isn't righting a wrong, its recognition that the situation at the hostel has changed for the better. I would hope that, in the future, if a different trail service provider was to get a similar reputation that ALDHA would remove them as well. If anything, this proves to me that ALDHA is in touch with the trail community.

earlyriser26
01-31-2008, 17:33
Lots of old bagage. I have had no problem with UJ, some have. why don't we see what people have to say in the class of 2008???

The Weasel
01-31-2008, 17:36
You need to honor people's screen names. If people take a screen name other than their real name, and don't sign with their real name, it is unseemly and a breach of netiquette to post their real names.

Thank you, Mommy. I'm sure it was important to you to mention this. Does this mean that when people start a post direct to me as "A**hole," or variations on "Weasel" ("Weasy, Weezil, etc.) you'll give them the same lecture? Thank you in advance.

TW. Or Rusty. Like it matters.

The Weasel
01-31-2008, 17:37
Well okay, you're right. I guess when a new thread comes up it reminds us of the past. I said I'd quit it if asked, guess I'm being asked. Anyone who wants any info feel free to PM me.

Classy response, Brendan.

Rusty

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-31-2008, 17:39
Maybe, but it would be nice if occasionally folks got over it all by themselves instead of someone having to play grown-up.::: Dino kisses Sgt Rock on the toes :::

bfitz
01-31-2008, 17:39
Classy response, Brendan.

RustyThanks, weasy.

SGT Rock
01-31-2008, 17:41
FWIW, I've never minded my friends calling me Ernest.

bfitz
01-31-2008, 17:45
FWIW, I've never minded my friends calling me Ernest.I've always found you to be quite ernest.

Roland
01-31-2008, 18:27
You need to honor people's screen names. If people take a screen name other than their real name, and don't sign with their real name, it is unseemly and a breach of netiquette to post their real names.

Frosty,

I absolutely agree with you, if revealing someone's name results in a violation of privacy. However, in this case, bfitz has chosen to publish his real name in his public profile. Because everyone who logs-on can view his name, I don't believe addressing him by name is a big deal.

On the other hand, if one's preference is to remain anonymous and choose not to publish their real name, it would be improper to address them by name.

bfitz
01-31-2008, 18:40
Yah, I don't mind...only one thing makes me really mad.......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEr8SYqTc3s

ed bell
01-31-2008, 18:46
Yah, I don't mind...only one thing makes me really mad.......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEr8SYqTc3sWow. I had forgotten about Scatterbrain. Blast from the past.:)

bfitz
01-31-2008, 18:54
Yeah, I saw them back when they were called Ludichrist, (guitar player Tommy Christ) with a few different memebers. Here they are doing Barber of seville....whacky.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oVchVYfc4M

Dogwood
01-31-2008, 19:08
quote=Skyline I know from personal experience UJ can be a great trail resource and a nice guy. I also know from people I respect he can be the opposite. The Companion has taken the high road here, based upon several years of mostly good behavior by UJ. Good for them. And good for UJ.

From this point on, I hope everyone can let bygones be bygones and work together for the common good. Erwin is big enough, and important enough, to support more than one hostel. At prime time it certainly needs more than one.

TWTHANK YOU SKYLINE AND WEASEL!!! By all means let's be informed about the trail but this thread has been beaten to death. Let's move on!!! With all the great things happening on the trail and how the trail has positively effected so many people aren't there better things to talk about???

The Weasel
02-01-2008, 00:24
FWIW, I've never minded y friends calling me Ernest.

Well, if we can call you earnest, can we also call you determined, or just stubborn?

TW (you can call me rusty, too, and so can brendan, but frosty can't)

The Weasel
02-01-2008, 00:27
Frosty,

I absolutely agree with you, if revealing someone's name results in a violation of privacy. However, in this case, bfitz has chosen to publish his real name in his public profile. Because everyone who logs-on can view his name, I don't believe addressing him by name is a big deal.

On the other hand, if one's preference is to remain anonymous and choose not to publish their real name, it would be improper to address them by name.

"Roland" ----

Have no fear: I will never, ever, disclose your name, Shirley.

"The Weasel"

Lion King
02-01-2008, 01:19
I think its time for some forgivness.

I forgive UJ for kicking me out of the hiker room when I was trying desperately to warm up by the wood stove at 9 at night during a blizzard that I had walked in for about 12 hours straight from Hogpen Gap shelter .

I forgive him for not realizing that I was in the throws of basic hypothermia and in really bad shape, including major shivering, lack of cognitive thought and overall numbness.

I forgive him for getting really angry when he asked me if I was staying there and I mentioned that I had called MJ already, as I knew her, and then him shuting the door and watching me stand off his property for about ten minutes in the freezing blizzard and wind till MJ showed up.

Maybe he has realized that this and other acts that a lot of us from the years from 98-2003 especially know about are wrong and that there are better ways to handle things.

I've heard good and bad, but as with all things, each persons opinion differs.

Everyone has problems that they are dealing with maybe he is clear now and all things are super in his heart and mind and he wants to welcome folks back with love.

I say give him a shot, he screws the pooch again it will become evident rather quickly.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-01-2008, 08:54
Thanks for posting this, LK. I really didn't want to say just what sorts of things got UJ removed from the guidebook, but your experience is a prime example. Some have thought he was dropped just his bad-mouthing MJ and that it was a political thing. It wasn't.

earlyriser26
02-01-2008, 09:52
I think its time for some forgivness.

I forgive UJ for kicking me out of the hiker room when I was trying desperately to warm up by the wood stove at 9 at night during a blizzard that I had walked in for about 12 hours straight from Hogpen Gap shelter .

I forgive him for not realizing that I was in the throws of basic hypothermia and in really bad shape, including major shivering, lack of cognitive thought and overall numbness.

I forgive him for getting really angry when he asked me if I was staying there and I mentioned that I had called MJ already, as I knew her, and then him shuting the door and watching me stand off his property for about ten minutes in the freezing blizzard and wind till MJ showed up.

Maybe he has realized that this and other acts that a lot of us from the years from 98-2003 especially know about are wrong and that there are better ways to handle things.

I've heard good and bad, but as with all things, each persons opinion differs.

Everyone has problems that they are dealing with maybe he is clear now and all things are super in his heart and mind and he wants to welcome folks back with love.

I say give him a shot, he screws the pooch again it will become evident rather quickly.
Sounds like you didn't want to pay to stay. If I was having a medical emergency, I would have ponied up the few bucks he charges and got a room. While service providers can, and do, take advantage of hikers, more often than not it is the other way around. I wonder how often other people hang out at UJ's without paying for services. I'm sure you felt he should have helped someone in need and he should have, but I bet he has had to deal with hundreds of people that were just trying to get something for free which has colored his view.

Lion King
02-01-2008, 11:18
Sounds like you didn't want to pay to stay. If I was having a medical emergency, I would have ponied up the few bucks he charges and got a room. While service providers can, and do, take advantage of hikers, more often than not it is the other way around. I wonder how often other people hang out at UJ's without paying for services. I'm sure you felt he should have helped someone in need and he should have, but I bet he has had to deal with hundreds of people that were just trying to get something for free which has colored his view.

You are an idiot.

Did you read where I had already called MJ and she was on the way to get me?

earlyriser26
02-01-2008, 11:26
You are an idiot.

I can see why you got tossed on your a$$. :-?

max patch
02-01-2008, 11:31
You are an idiot.

I don't think you understand the point that earlyriser was trying to make.

If I had a medical emergency - and I think the beginning stages of hypothermia qualifies - then I would stop at the first place I came to. I never would have made the call to the other provider.

I agree that being thrown outside in the cold was the wrong thing to do. But the first mistake was made by you.

earlyriser26
02-01-2008, 11:33
Exactly!!!!!

earlyriser26
02-01-2008, 11:36
Maybe we could avoid some of these problems if we tried to see the others point of veiw.

Appalachian Tater
02-01-2008, 12:01
Thanks for posting this, LK. I really didn't want to say just what sorts of things got UJ removed from the guidebook, but your experience is a prime example. Some have thought he was dropped just his bad-mouthing MJ and that it was a political thing. It wasn't.

I would be interesting in seeing all of the bad things Uncle Johnny did listed in a timeline, month by month.

It would probably be easier for people he treated poorly to forgive and forget if he actually owned up to his poor behavior and wanted to be forgiven.

The Weasel
02-01-2008, 12:15
People, these things are past. Let's let them remain there. It's time to let go of this topic.

TW

Appalachian Tater
02-01-2008, 12:20
People, these things are past. Let's let them remain there. It's time to let go of this topic.

TW

Every time you post to the thread it gains life. The best way in a forum to let a topic go is to leave the thread alone and let it get pushed farther and farther down the list. Or, it's the third-best way, after deletion and locking.

earlyriser26
02-01-2008, 12:37
Every time you post to the thread it gains life. The best way in a forum to let a topic go is to leave the thread alone and let it get pushed farther and farther down the list. Or, it's the third-best way, after deletion and locking.
I agree, no one is going to change their opinion.

Appalachian Tater
02-01-2008, 12:49
I agree, no one is going to change their opinion.

I've only noticed people actually change an opinion a very few times on this site, and I can't recall off-hand where anyone changed their mind about any dearly-held belief or even regarding anything truly important. If anything, I've seen people become more entrenched in their viewpoints.

Sly
02-01-2008, 13:15
I just changed my opinion again. UJ sucks (again) for tossing LK.

Miss Janet
02-01-2008, 17:04
I don't think you understand the point that earlyriser was trying to make.

If I had a medical emergency - and I think the beginning stages of hypothermia qualifies - then I would stop at the first place I came to. I never would have made the call to the other provider.

I agree that being thrown outside in the cold was the wrong thing to do. But the first mistake was made by you.

I've only noticed people actually change an opinion a very few times on this site, and I can't recall off-hand where anyone changed their mind about any dearly-held belief or even regarding anything truly important. If anything, I've seen people become more entrenched in their viewpoints.

You guys missed an important point in this story...

I WAS NOT a service provider at the time of this incident with Lion King. I knew Lion King from the year before when I was helping UJ around his place and I was still helping him at the time this happened. I invited a friend to stay with me and it made UJ mad. Simple as that.

I really do try to stay out of this but I felt LK was getting the short end of the stick. He was in really bad shape that night and I nearly took him to the hospital. I thought he was treated badly and even a little unethically...

bfitz
02-01-2008, 17:08
Not only that, but you don't have to rent a room to be at UJ's. You can visit with hikers there, browse the shop and services, or any number of reasons, such as looking the place over to see if you want to rent a room, even. You don't have to pay just to cross the property line. Of course it is still his property....

Frosty
02-01-2008, 17:35
If people take a screen name other than their real name, and don't sign with their real name, it is unseemly and a breach of netiquette to post their real names.

Thank you, Mommy. I'm sure it was important to you to mention this. Does this mean that when people start a post direct to me as "A**hole," or variations on "Weasel" ("Weasy, Weezil, etc.) you'll give them the same lecture? Thank you in advance.

TW. Or Rusty. Like it matters.It wasn't a lecture, and it had nothing to do with name calling. It had to do with polite internet behavior, but I see your point and will defer to your reasoned response. I can honestly say that I understand now why you call Bfitz "Brendan" and everyone calls you an "A**hole."

Thanks.

The Weasel
02-01-2008, 17:44
It wasn't a lecture, and it had nothing to do with name calling. It had to do with polite internet behavior, but I see your point and will defer to your reasoned response. I can honestly say that I understand now why you call Bfitz "Brendan" and everyone calls you an "A**hole."

Thanks.

I'm so glad that your first point "had nothing to do with name calling," now that in this post you get into it. By the way, it's Mr. A**hole to you, Frosty, since you're such a hypocrite that you can say your lecture "wasn't a lecture" but you can "see [my] point" in the lead up to - yes - namecalling. Others who aren't hypocrites - which is pretty much most of the people here - don't need to use the "Mr." You do. You're not worthy. :D

TW

bfitz
02-01-2008, 17:53
At least you're not bickering about Uncle Johnny. We're making progress, all of us. :p

Appalachian Tater
02-01-2008, 17:57
Why is he called "Uncle" Johnny, anyway? It's a little creepy.

Jack Tarlin
02-01-2008, 18:06
Um, maybe cuz he's someone's uncle?

Geez, folks, give it a rest. The guy is in all the Handbooks; he's getting good reviews and feedback from folks who've stayed recently. I hope he has a good hiker season, and I hope everyone that opts to stay there has a great time and is happy with their stay there.

So let's move on, eh? Honestly, don't we have other stuff to talk about than the Erwin lodging situation?

Appalachian Tater
02-01-2008, 18:22
Um, maybe cuz he's someone's uncle?

Geez, folks, give it a rest. The guy is in all the Handbooks; he's getting good reviews and feedback from folks who've stayed recently. I hope he has a good hiker season, and I hope everyone that opts to stay there has a great time and is happy with their stay there.

So let's move on, eh? Honestly, don't we have other stuff to talk about than the Erwin lodging situation?

Like fording the Kennebec? Or maybe politics?

Kirby
02-01-2008, 20:31
My observations:

1. the **** has hit the fan on the thread I started, but that happens frequently on this site.

2. UJ has taken steps to warrant his return to the Companion, good for him.

3. MJ is trying to move forward.

4. LK had a bad experience

5. Billville (or at least Chomp, Mountain Dew, and Bfitz), have a distaste for the place.

If anyone cares, I will either stay there or the Holiday Inn Express.

Moving forward,
Kirby

ed bell
02-01-2008, 20:34
My observations:

1. the **** has hit the fan on the thread I started, but that happens frequently on this site.

2. UJ has taken steps to warrant his return to the Companion, good for him.

3. MJ is trying to move forward.

4. LK had a bad experience

5. Billville (or at least Chomp, Mountain Dew, and Bfitz), have a distaste for the place.

If anyone cares, I will either stay there or the Holiday Inn Express.

Moving forward,
KirbyI have not undertaken a thru-hike, but sometimes I wonder if you might be better off with your journey by avoiding some of these contentious threads.

Lone Wolf
02-02-2008, 01:09
im just drikn in beer **** y'all :sun

OregonHiker
02-02-2008, 01:11
im just drikn in beer **** y'all :sun

Have a nice hangover:sun

The Weasel
02-02-2008, 01:30
Why is he called "Uncle" Johnny, anyway? It's a little creepy.

Tater, you're the one who said "stop posting" and let the thread die. No, it's not creepy, and it's time for you to give it up. Say goodnight, Gracie.

TW

the goat
02-02-2008, 10:54

I'm so glad that your first point "had nothing to do with name calling," now that in this post you get into it. By the way, it's Mr. A**hole to you, Frosty, since you're such a hypocrite that you can say your lecture "wasn't a lecture" but you can "see [my] point" in the lead up to - yes - namecalling. Others who aren't hypocrites - which is pretty much most of the people here - don't need to use the "Mr." You do. You're not worthy.

yeah, you're never one to beat a dead horse, weasy.:D

The Weasel
02-02-2008, 13:40
yeah, you're never one to beat a dead horse, weasy.:D

Would never beat a dead goat, either. So I won't comment further about you. ;)

TW

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-02-2008, 13:44

I say give him a shot, {he treats others badly} again it will become evident rather quickly.UJ deserves a chance to show what he is made of.... let's see how he does this year instead of rehashing the past as evidence of the present.

Kirby
02-02-2008, 17:11
I plan on staying there, MJ is closed(as of now), and UJ is right on the trail.

Kirby

Jack Tarlin
02-02-2008, 17:15
Kirby: Keep an open mind; my guess is that Miss J. just might have something going on by April, i.e. by the time most folks are in Erwin.

Which is fine, there's plenty of room in town for more than one hostel.

I hope wherever folks end up staying, they're treated right, that they in turn treat their hosts right, and that everyone has a great hiker season.

Pedaling Fool
02-02-2008, 17:39
The hiking community has gotta be on of the most bitchiest communities ever. Just an observation:cool:

dixicritter
02-02-2008, 17:44
The hiking community has gotta be on of the most bitchiest communities ever. Just an observation:cool:

Only online. :eek:

Kirby
02-02-2008, 18:42
Kirby: Keep an open mind; my guess is that Miss J. just might have something going on by April, i.e. by the time most folks are in Erwin.

Which is fine, there's plenty of room in town for more than one hostel.

I hope wherever folks end up staying, they're treated right, that they in turn treat their hosts right, and that everyone has a great hiker season.

Believe me, I will stay with MJ in a heart beat if she has something going by the time I roll through town.

Kirby