PDA

View Full Version : Hello Friends

aaroniguana
01-29-2008, 19:35
One or two of you (at least one) were aware that I was in a serious car accident in Oct. My left leg was shattered from phalange to trochanter (that means it was busted up good!). I thought my hiking days were finished. I was so depressed that I haven't even logged onto WB in over three months. Today... I walked. This Spring, I hike. Hopefully in 2009, I thru on schedule. And as I told my ortho today when he called me crazy, "just because I quit drinkin' and druggin', doesn't mean I suddenly got sane".

I've missed you all.

wrongway_08
01-29-2008, 19:37
Glad to hear you are feeling better. Hope your thru-hike goes as planned.

If you dont mind, how did the accident happen?

Skidsteer
01-29-2008, 19:37
Wow.

Good Luck with the continued rehab!

rafe
01-29-2008, 19:39
That's good news, iguana. (Not the injury, of course -- but the recovery!) There's quite a "community" of hikers (and hiker wannabes) recovering from injury or illness. I walked several hundred miles of AT with a large metal plate on my left femur, from a ski injury a year before. Sometimes you just wanna walk... because you can!

Blissful
01-29-2008, 19:41
Wow. So glad you can hike again! It must feel good to get back out there and to start planning. Great news.

aaroniguana
01-29-2008, 19:43
I was southbound on MD5 near Charlotte Hall and the most beautiful buck I've ever seen sailed out of the woods. I jerked the wheel a little too hard and rolled my truck.

Next time I'll hit the damned deer. A grille and bumper would have been a lot cheaper and less painful. And my philosophy on deer eradication has changed somewhat...

TOW
01-29-2008, 19:44
You will hike again! Sorry to hear of your misfortune, keep us posted............

Gray Blazer
01-29-2008, 20:03
Good to hear from you.

-SEEKER-
01-29-2008, 20:06
Sorry to hear about the accident and your injury. Glad you are able to walk again and even more glad you are feeling good enough to get back on here and interact with the WB community again. Best wishes for a continued recovery.

spittinpigeon
01-29-2008, 20:10
The very best of luck for you. I was also in a car accident. Was hit dead on as a pedestrian at 45mph. Wasn't even supposed to be conscious, nevermind hiking. I made it, so can you. Just don't push too hard, n' hope for the best.

wrongway_08
01-29-2008, 20:59
I was southbound on MD5 near Charlotte Hall and the most beautiful buck I've ever seen sailed out of the woods. I jerked the wheel a little too hard and rolled my truck.

Next time I'll hit the damned deer. A grille and bumper would have been a lot cheaper and less painful. And my philosophy on deer eradication has changed somewhat...

Sorry to hear, that really womps. Just noticed your out of Baltimore, right down the road from me........ a deer, that figures for the area. I had one take out my '67 mustang.

Glad your getting back to hiking, hope to see you on the trail!

doggiebag
01-29-2008, 21:02
Welcome back ... the body is an amazingly resilient thing. One day at a time, has always worked for me. Regards.

warraghiyagey
01-29-2008, 21:04
Have a trail name yet?? 'Crash' or 'Oh Deer' comes to mind.
:welcomeBACK!!!

Lone Wolf
01-29-2008, 21:17
Forest Gimp

warraghiyagey
01-29-2008, 21:19
Forest Gimp
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/laughing001.gif

cowboy nichols
01-29-2008, 21:23
Glad to hear you are on the mend. I to was involve with some deer ,missed 2 hit 2 crushed my right ankle + some other stuff Dr. said I would not be hiking again. A year later I was hiking and still am. Let it heal than take off. Good luck

Wise Old Owl
01-29-2008, 21:29
Forest Gimp

Hey everybody ! The Debbie Downer of Saturday Night Live has spoken again. He trying to irritate as many AT people as possible, He is keeping a list & checking it twice!

Aaron - I am sorry to hear about your accident, glad you are back. From someone who has had a motorcycle accident the theapy will take some six months to clear minimum. Please do not rush it, hope to see you on the trail

Mark

warraghiyagey
01-29-2008, 21:32
Hey everybody ! The Debbie Downer of Saturday Night Live has spoken again. He trying to irritate as many AT people as possible, He is keeping a list & checking it twice!
Mark
Sounds like somebody's got sand in his beaver.:rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
01-29-2008, 21:41

Aaron - I am sorry to hear about your accident, glad you are back. From someone who has had a motorcycle accident the theapy will take some six months to clear minimum. Please do not rush it, hope to see you on the trail

Mark

why you gotta be a little bitch? :)

wrongway_08
01-29-2008, 21:41
Sounds like somebody's got sand in his beaver.:rolleyes:

Thats some funny poo!

warraghiyagey
01-29-2008, 21:47
Thats some funny poo!
Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all night. The 9:00 show is completely different from the 7:00 show.http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/gen121.gif

Lone Wolf
01-29-2008, 21:56
Hey everybody ! The Debbie Downer of Saturday Night Live has spoken again. He trying to irritate as many AT people as possible,

btw, that ain't too *uckin hard to do slick :cool:

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-29-2008, 22:00
::: Dino peeks over trifocals :::
Boys, don't make me turn Barney purple and sing the Barney ditty to get y'all to play well with others....

Aaron, I have missed you. So sorry to hear you were in the accident. Keep up with the physical therapy and really push yourself. Don't give up because the strength doesn't come back quickly. It will come.

I received somewhat similar injuries to my femur only in 2004. I'm a whole lot older than you so I don't heal as quickly. It took me about 18 months of PT to be all that I can be (I have some permanent muscle and nerve damage). You will be back sooner than that.

warraghiyagey
01-29-2008, 22:03
::: Dino peeks over trifocals :::
Boys, don't make me turn Barney purple and sing the Barney ditty to get y'all to play well with others....
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/ad/hiding.gif

woodsy
01-29-2008, 22:10
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/ad/hiding.gif

You causing trouble again? That looks like a good place to hide for a couple posts.
Glad to hear you're on the mend Aaron

warraghiyagey
01-29-2008, 22:12
You causing trouble again? That looks like a good place to hide for a couple posts.
Me?? . . . causing trouble . . .??? . . . Noooooooooo.:rolleyes:
I've been bein good and mindin my own business - see?http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/happy070.gif

HikerChick2008
01-29-2008, 22:26
Excellent physical therapy!

Wise Old Owl
01-29-2008, 22:41
Thats some funny poo!

when LW posts poo is like a bear that S*** in the woods only its on the middle of a trail

Hey LW Your new Trail Name is Debbie Downer!

GGS2
01-29-2008, 22:50
when LW posts poo is like a bear that S*** in the woods only its on the middle of a trail

Does a wolf **** in the woods?

Lone Wolf
01-29-2008, 22:53
Does a wolf **** in the woods?

yes, plus WOO paid to have me poo on his face :cool:

warraghiyagey
01-29-2008, 23:01
yes, plus WOO paid to have me poo on his face :cool:
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/devil16.gif

Smile
01-29-2008, 23:27
Glad you are on the mend! Hope you get out hiking soon, you go for it :)

dessertrat
01-30-2008, 00:57

Hey LW Your new Trail Name is Debbie Downer!

I think you're a downer. I have learned never to trust anyone who thinks himself wise, and it has worked out well for me.

aaroniguana
01-31-2008, 19:11
Hey! This thread is about me! ME ME ME!!! ;)

Eh. Big Bad LW doesn't bother me. I might limp a little but I don't huff and puff. And being able to get up at 2am for a potty run without help is nice.

Blissful
01-31-2008, 20:18
I want to know where everyone is getting the smiley thingies. Link?

Roots
01-31-2008, 20:38
Hey Aaroniguana, glad to hear you are doing better. Those kind of injuries are tough, but not impossible to come back from. Keep up the hard work and hope to see you on the trail.:sun

Critterman
01-31-2008, 20:51

Please don't. The cute factor is at gag level now. And I am glad you are doing well Aaron.

aaroniguana
01-31-2008, 21:25
Thanks for the well wishes everyone!

warraghiyagey
02-01-2008, 17:11
http://www.freesmileys.org/free-animated-smileys.php

GGS2
02-01-2008, 17:46
And being able to get up at 2am for a potty run without help is nice.

I thought that's what empty pop bottles are for?

mudhead
02-01-2008, 18:01
Hey! This thread is about me! ME ME ME!!! ;)

Eh. Big Bad LW doesn't bother me. I might limp a little but I don't huff and puff. And being able to get up at 2am for a potty run without help is nice.

Amazing what one can take for granted!

Good you are mobile.

envirodiver
02-01-2008, 18:03
Me?? . . . causing trouble . . .??? . . . Noooooooooo.:rolleyes:
I've been bein good and mindin my own business - see?http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/happy070.gif

Hey are those smilies Boy Scouts tenting at a shelter?

Lost My Mind
02-01-2008, 23:57
Keep up the good work Aaron. I've been a rehabilitation nurse for 13 years, and see miracles happen all the time. It takes a lot of hard work and determination, and like someone said in an earlier post, it may nott be a fast as you like, or exactly the level you were before the accident. But that doesn't mean you can't adjust and compensate in some areas. Good luck to you.

warraghiyagey
02-02-2008, 01:44
Hey are those smilies Boy Scouts tenting at a shelter?
They aren't boy scouts. That's me and Woodsy in Maine and me not being a cyberjerk.:p:p

aaroniguana
02-02-2008, 13:05
yes but were you wearing trailrunners when you posed for that?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-02-2008, 13:12
... being able to get up at 2am for a potty run without help is nice.::: Dino reads this and it brings tears to her eyes. :::

aaroniguana
02-02-2008, 13:21
Awww, there, there Dino... I know you feel my pain.

It was getting to the point I was having to call my daughter in the next room on the cel phone to wake her up. She suggested I train Angus the wonderdog to jump up on the bed and turn me to face the door then nose me upright.

Yeah. Just as soon as I train him to get me a cold beer and find the remote.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-02-2008, 13:26
::: Dino curls a loving tail around Aaron :::

JAK
02-02-2008, 23:26
Looking back at some of your old posts Aaron.
We never know when one of us might stop posting or hiking or why.
Glad to have you back amongst us.

Best wishes for your rehabilitation, planning, and all your future endeavours.