PDA

View Full Version : backpack help

solo29
01-29-2008, 20:29
i have kelty 4750 coyote it just dosent feel like it fits me right the straps on the shoulders,when i let them rest aganst my shoulders it feels fine but when i sinch it down on them they rise off of my shoulders am i pulling it to tight?or do i have pack that dosent fit mr im 6,2 211 lbs.:-?

Hooch
01-29-2008, 20:33
i have kelty 4750 coyote it just dosent feel like it fits me right the straps on the shoulders,when i let them rest aganst my shoulders it feels fine but when i sinch it down on them they rise off of my shoulders am i pulling it to tight?or do i have pack that dosent fit mr im 6,2 211 lbs.:-?Your height really doesn't have a lot to do with pack size or how it fits you. The realy number/measurement you're looking for at toso length. Were I you, I'd take the pack to a reputable outfitter and have them measure your torso length and also fit the pack to you to ensure a good fit. If it doesn't fit you properly, get one that does. Yoru back will thank you for it later. :D

Jack Tarlin
01-29-2008, 20:34
I would not alter a word of Hooch's post. He nailed it.

All I'd add is that when you're getting fitted, load the pack with an approximation of what you'll be carrying on the Trail. You can't really know how a pack "feels" unless it's full.

Hooch
01-29-2008, 20:37
All I'd add is that when you're getting fitted, load the pack with an approximation of what you'll be carrying on the Trail. You can't really know how a pack "feels" unless it's full.I concur, counselor. :D

bloodmountainman
01-29-2008, 20:42
Agood fitting pack should ride more on the hips than the shoulders! If when fully loaded, if it goes past the hips, all the wieght will be on the shoulders. This is uncomfortable in the short run; downright painful in the long run!

Wise Old Owl
01-29-2008, 20:59
Is it too late to go back to the store and ask for help?

solo29
01-29-2008, 21:00
thanks fellows hike on

Hooch
01-29-2008, 23:17
Is it too late to go back to the store and ask for help?Not if you bought your pack from a reputable dealer with a knowledgable staff. I bought my pack at REI in Charlotte and was having trouble with it for some reason or another. I took it back on my next rip to Charlotte more than 3 months later and they were more than happy to help out. I wouldn't even for a minute consider buying a pack at somewhere like a general sporting goods store like Dicks Sporting Goods or some thing like that because the staff usually doesn't have the expertise to fit the pack correctly, but they usually have a very limited selection as well. In my limited experience, it is always best to get major pieces of gear, especially a pack or boots from a local, reputable dealer.

bigcranky
01-30-2008, 09:40
When we bought the Kelty Coyote for our child, it wass aimed at smaller hikers -- scouts, etc. I see at REI.com that now it's aimed at adults, so the fit may depend on which version you have.

I'm your size, and there's no way I would fit in her pack. Not sure about the new version (http://www.rei.com/product/751989?vcat=REI_SEARCH).

High Places
01-30-2008, 10:29
Glad to find this thread. Just the other day, I went over to BlackCreek Outfitters to look a backpack. The guy was a great help! He measured me and told me my options. So I am looking to getting an Osprey Aether 85 backpack. But it will have to ordered since I am XL and they don't have in the store. Any feedbacks? It look like a good pack and hoping I am making the right decision.

Hooch
01-30-2008, 10:33
Glad to find this thread. Just the other day, I went over to BlackCreek Outfitters to look a backpack. The guy was a great help! He measured me and told me my options. So I am looking to getting an Osprey Aether 85 backpack. But it will have to ordered since I am XL and they don't have in the store. Any feedbacks? It look like a good pack and hoping I am making the right decision.If you want feedback on that pack, PM gldwings1. He's my hiking partner and uses that pack. It's a big ass pack, but if it works for you, that's all that matters. :D