PDA

View Full Version : sterilzing water filter

cheaphiker
01-29-2008, 20:45
:-?I just took a look at my msr miniworks ex after over a year of storage and noticed moisture inside the plastic case and mold spots on the ceramic element. I dont know if the cause if this was high humidity or forgetting to air dry the ceramic element before storage, regardless of the cause I went ahead and boiled it as per msr instructions and on top of that I also pumped a solution of household chlorox cleaning spray and water. (1 lt. H2O+ 2tbsp chlorox spray):confused:
My question is was the pumping of the desinfectant overkill and what damage if any would the boiling of the cefamic element have on the effectiveness of the unit since msr states that only boiling should be used as last resort.
thanks for your responses and opinions in advance and sorry for the long post

Appalachian Tater
01-29-2008, 21:09
I use a bleach solution to flush my filter. I'm not sure what's in the cleaning spray you used but I would make sure I flushed it well and let it dry well and use plain bleach next time. I also do not store my filter assembled in case there is any residual moisture. All of my small gear is in plastic containers that are ventilated. I probably wouldn't bother to boil it for some common mold, just bleach it. If you crack the filter it won't clean your water but you might not even realize it.

bloodmountainman
01-29-2008, 21:35
It has been my experience with these filtering devices to throw them away when they get crudded over( mold, mildew, etc.) don't like to take chances with them! Always clean them after each trip, allow them to completly dry, and store them in your freezer at home.

Appalachian Tater
01-29-2008, 22:50
It has been my experience with these filtering devices to throw them away when they get crudded over( mold, mildew, etc.) don't like to take chances with them! Always clean them after each trip, allow them to completly dry, and store them in your freezer at home.

The freezer is a moist environment.

bloodmountainman
02-02-2008, 01:42
The freezer is a moist environment.
Explain how moisture is problem under 32 degrees. I eat meat from it. It protects water filters from growing unwanted pathogens.:-?

Foyt20
02-10-2008, 17:50
^^^ True, that is the suggestion for hydration systems also.