PDA

View Full Version : Life span of proprietary waterproof/breathable materials vs. Gore-Tex

dloome
01-29-2008, 20:48
Seems like after a season or so of (heavy) use, the performance of my shell layer goes downhill pretty quick. I've used a bunch of proprietary waterproof/breathable laminates: Hy-Vent, DriZone, Alchemy, etc.

I have a 5 month 10,000 mile (and probably REALLY wet at times) bike trip from Alaska to Newfoundland coming up and need to replace my rain gear with something GOOD. Question is, do I spring for the Gore-Tex Paclite at about $300+ for the jacket and pants or try another prop. laminate and expect to replace it yet again next year?

Any input from folks who have beat the crap out of genuine Gore-Tex stuff over a long period of time would be appreciated.

NICKTHEGREEK
01-31-2008, 08:44
Seems like after a season or so of (heavy) use, the performance of my shell layer goes downhill pretty quick. I've used a bunch of proprietary waterproof/breathable laminates: Hy-Vent, DriZone, Alchemy, etc.

I have a 5 month 10,000 mile (and probably REALLY wet at times) bike trip from Alaska to Newfoundland coming up and need to replace my rain gear with something GOOD. Question is, do I spring for the Gore-Tex Paclite at about $300+ for the jacket and pants or try another prop. laminate and expect to replace it yet again next year?

Any input from folks who have beat the crap out of genuine Gore-Tex stuff over a long period of time would be appreciated.

But bike specific gear, not climbing or hiking. Clean it per mfgr's instructions. After several cleanings you can replace the DWR with the proper spray or wash in additive again per the mfgr's directions.
That said I'd guess there's going to be an issue with wear in the seat of the pants regardless of price or quality.

JAK
01-31-2008, 09:15
I think gortex itself comes in different weights, and different levels of durability I would guess. I have a heavy gortex bivy with many years on it, though not an extreme amount of miles. It sounds like an awesome trip you have planned. Can you actually hope to stay dry on a bike, or just cut down on the cold water exchange?

NorthCountryWoods
01-31-2008, 10:26
Have to say Gore-tex is worth it. Wife still uses her North Face Mountain Lite jacket from 2000. She's washed it, but hasn't had to recondition it. Still waterproof and performs well. Ripped mine or else I'd still be using it.

The Hy-vent stuff seems to get beat up fast.

Wise Old Owl
01-31-2008, 10:44

the old gortex stuff holds up very well still using a jacket 10 years later, I was told to wash it once a year to keep the dirt out of the breathable membrane. When you shells "wear out" is it due to shreading or tears or not breathing? Are you cleaning them?

take-a-knee
01-31-2008, 10:56
You must wash Goretex with a soap that doesn't contain surfactants (like most laundry soaps). If you use regular laundry soap it will leak. There are proprietary formulas but Ivory flakes will work. The garment then needs to be resprayed with DWR.

envirodiver
01-31-2008, 14:12
It's not leaking if you use the wrong detergent (also never ever use fabric softeners), what's happening is that the detergent clogs the pores in the membrane and it loses the ability to breath. So the moisture stay inside and you get wet. Also, when the DWR coating wears out and the nylon on the outside that gives the wind resistence "wets out" it keeps the membrnae from being able to breath also.

It's good for the membranes to wash them and dry in the dryer on low periodically (look at your particular instructions though). it keeps body oils, dirt and grime from clogging those membranes.

take-a-knee
01-31-2008, 14:28
It's not leaking if you use the wrong detergent (also never ever use fabric softeners), what's happening is that the detergent clogs the pores in the membrane and it loses the ability to breath. So the moisture stay inside and you get wet. Also, when the DWR coating wears out and the nylon on the outside that gives the wind resistence "wets out" it keeps the membrnae from being able to breath also.

It's good for the membranes to wash them and dry in the dryer on low periodically (look at your particular instructions though). it keeps body oils, dirt and grime from clogging those membranes.

You are right about the DWR coating but wrong about detergents. The surfactants in detergents make water molecules "wetter" , that is to say, it reduces a water molecules' polarity. This is what causes goretex to leak.

Toolshed
01-31-2008, 14:51
You are right about the DWR coating but wrong about detergents. The surfactants in detergents make water molecules "wetter" , that is to say, it reduces a water molecules' polarity. This is what causes goretex to leak.

Hmmmm..... We use to use Surfactants as to reduce water tension so as to get rid of the effect of water clinging to itself and to cling to other agents/surfaces.

Surfactants have the opposite properties (or opposite effect) of DWRs.

I never believed a surfactant could cause GTX to leak, though. I believe that once the material is "wetted out" it will not let vapors pass through and has the same effect as wearing a vinyl sweat suit. Vapor released from your body hits the inside, cools and you think your garment is leaking, but it is your sweat that is making you wet.

I think E-Diver makes excellent points here.
I recall many years ago that Mfg instructions were to avoid liquid detergents and use powder, due to the effect of tiny droplets of liquid detergent clogging the micropores of the PFTE membrane, whereas the powder granule were much too large.

I still have my '92 Campmor GTX Jacket that I wear on occasion. It's ripped, torn, stained and patched (though I did replace it in '99 with my "new" TNF Jacket). I have no issues withe the 16 year old jacket - It doesn't leak - I keep it in my truck and use it for emergencies, fishing, high winds and such.

dloome
01-31-2008, 17:06
Some interesting points. I suppose I'll invest a couple bucks in some DWR and detergent and see if I can bring my current HyVent jacket back to life- I use the same shell for hiking, biking, work, etc. so it does get dirty pretty quick and I rarely wash it. Maybe I'll get a cheapo rain shell for commuting and work, and save the nicer one for hikes. If not, I'll probably at least spring for a new pac-lite jacket, but some cheaper pants for the bike trip since the butt wears out real quick.
Thanks folks.

Kerosene
01-31-2008, 19:31
Forget Gore-tex and go with eVent, which I think you will find performs better across a wider range of conditions. Not sure about durability, however, and it is very expensive. Frankly, though, I'd be very satisfied if a critical piece of gear lasted me for a 10,000 mile ride.

Patrickjd9
01-31-2008, 20:47
the old gortex stuff holds up very well still using a jacket 10 years later, I was told to wash it once a year to keep the dirt out of the breathable membrane. When you shells "wear out" is it due to shreading or tears or not breathing? Are you cleaning them?
I'm using a Gore-Tex jacket that is at least that old. I frequently wear it to work as well as for outdoor stuff. It is a replacement for a jacket made of one of the other coatings that failed in less than 2 years. REI did stand behind the failed item.

I do wash, following all instructions, once a year. I've also used water repellent several times, the Nikwax wash-in seems to work better than teh spray.