PDA

View Full Version : Searching for MTN Lions

HIKER7s
01-30-2008, 07:39
Found this interesting article.

http://www.dnronline.com/news_details.php?AID=14689&CHID=2

woodsy
01-30-2008, 08:47
Another study (http://bangornews.com/news/t/penquis.aspx?articleid=157838&zoneid=184%3Cbr%3E%3C/a%3E) getting underway up this way.
Study includes area of the AT south of Greenville.

HIKER7s
01-30-2008, 08:48
Maybe they are on the brink of finally agreeing that they are in fact back in these areas,

mrburns
01-30-2008, 11:42
A fantastic book on the return of MTN lions to the continents forests is called "The Beast in the Garden" by David Baron. The catalyst for the book is the cougar attack on a high school student in Boulder, Colorado a few years back... very well written. The research evidence described in the book suggested it would be a simple matter of time before the lions began appearing again in eastern forests as well. Mostly because their primary food source (deer) is so over populated.

They are incredible to see in the wild. I've only seen a MTN Lion once (in Colorado Springs), and it ran past my dog and I on a trail run... literally within 2 ft of us. It didn't seem scared or even interested, just was on it's way some where.

Mocs123
01-30-2008, 12:36
If a MTN lion ran within 2 ft. of me, I'd have to change my pants. I'm sure it would be cool after the fact.

Nearly Normal
01-30-2008, 13:59
http://www.propertyrightsresearch.org/2007/articles02/bigcats.htm

mrburns
01-30-2008, 14:48
If a MTN lion ran within 2 ft. of me, I'd have to change my pants. I'm sure it would be cool after the fact.

Hehe, yeah at first I just was kind of moving my dog out of the way, just routine like we were moving to the side of the path to give a biker more room or something... then as I got a better look and saw the round head, small errect ears, and the long fat tail... I realized what was passing us and the implications of it being so near.

Going back the opposite direction (my first instinct) meant retracing our steps deeper into the woods, so I ended up going the same direction as the cat (who was probably long gone anyway) but I picked up two big rocks and banged them together every 10 seconds or so for the remaining two miles to the parking lot... definitly had an elevated heart rate ;-)

Hoop
01-30-2008, 19:06
Extinct...In the mid-60's we saw one walking across the alfalfa field behind my uncle's farmhouse in the Catskills (Delaware county, NY).

Bulldawg
01-30-2008, 21:00
I used to hunt on a huge old plantation down in Burke County, GA. This is about 45 minutes SSE of Augusta. For years people were constantly seeing what they all called a large long tailed black cat. I always thought they were either making it up, or seeing some cats someone had put out and were doing well living off the land. Well in 1991 I saw one for myself. This cat was stealthy, it walked across a dirt road I was standing on, getting ready to go into the woods myself. I was maybe 150 yards away from it. I would venture to say this cat was 24 to 30 inches tall at the shoulders, weighed probably 50 to 70 pounds, and was jet black. It also had a tail that seemed extremely long for it's body size. I'm guessing it was probably 5 1/2 to 6 feet long including it's tail. I guess it is one of them black panthers that are rumored to be in the Florida swamps. I dunno, but I was convinced from then on those other folks that had reported seeing them were right. One thing I do know, I'll never forget seeing that big cat.

Doughnut
01-30-2008, 21:35
John,
I too hunted in Burke county, Near Sardis, and, although I didn't personally see it, a friend saw a "Large feline, black, with a long tubular tail". this guy is an Aeronautical Engineer and I honestly believe him. there were other reports of a large cat seen crossing the highway in that area. I don't know what ever happened to it, though that year was very wet, and there is speculation that it was driven out of the sav River Swamp in search of food.
there is an excellant book entitled "Swamp Screamers" about the Florida Panther and efforts to preserve it.

dough Nut

troutseeker
02-04-2008, 13:36
I would love to see cougars introduced to the eastern woods. Maybe a cross between the Florida panther and the western cougar? The question is, can the wilderness support it? The Daks in NY maybe? Thin strips of range such as in the Shenandoah may not be wide enough. There are plenty of deer, but does the mountain lion need a wildlife corridor as long or wide as the grizzly? Most people would have a fit though.

Ramble~On
02-04-2008, 13:54
Reintroduced? I was skeptical about them being here until I saw one.
I'd like to see a reintroduction as the gene pool of what is here must be very, very small.

Pedaling Fool
02-04-2008, 13:59
I also believe they are back, haven't seen one yet. I don't want to see a reintroduction, it would be too controversial, just let them come back slowly and hopefully people will adapt instead of butting heads in mindless attacks of one another.

Almost There
02-04-2008, 14:23
An effort to reintroduce in the east would be a big mistake, and cruel to the lions themselves. These are solitary hunters, not pack hunters, and as such they have no fear or compunction when it comes to hunting humans smaller than it is, and sometimes those even bigger if it can get surprise. Can you imagine further north along the trail corridor with suburban sprawl? The mother who lets her little girl go in the backyard to play, only to have the child nabbed by a hungry Mtn Lion. I've been followed by coyote before but knew that 1 or 2 of them wasn't likely to make a move...and they didn't, even a singular wolf would be unlikely, but a Mtn Lion??? If they are coming back, then let nature take it's course, but we don't need to put our hands in the pot as well.

Nearly Normal
02-04-2008, 20:16
An effort to reintroduce in the east would be a big mistake, and cruel to the lions themselves. These are solitary hunters, not pack hunters, and as such they have no fear or compunction when it comes to hunting humans smaller than it is, and sometimes those even bigger if it can get surprise. Can you imagine further north along the trail corridor with suburban sprawl? The mother who lets her little girl go in the backyard to play, only to have the child nabbed by a hungry Mtn Lion. I've been followed by coyote before but knew that 1 or 2 of them wasn't likely to make a move...and they didn't, even a singular wolf would be unlikely, but a Mtn Lion??? If they are coming back, then let nature take it's course, but we don't need to put our hands in the pot as well.

This is probably why the authorities won't admit to their pressence. Too many rules would then have to be made protecting them. After a while hikers wouldn't have a chance.

Patrickjd9
02-04-2008, 20:30
I am another one of those people who has seen the supposedly nonexistent mountain lion in the eastern woods. My sighting was on the Tuscarora trail in Virginia, near the West Virginia line, about seven years ago.

It crossed the trail in broad daylight about 20 feet in front of me.

Wilson
02-04-2008, 20:39
2 were killed near the Pee Dee river in NC some years back, one was declawed and the other had a number tattooed in its ear. Pets turned loose after the owners tired of them.
I had one cross the road in front of my truck near Brown Mtn., if it was'nt a lion then I don't know what else it could have been.

Doughnut
02-04-2008, 20:45
In reference to the topic of crossing Florida Panthers and Western Mountain Lions: In the book "Swamp Screamers" Lions from out west were introduced and I believe the males were sterilized but not the females.. the issue was 'Do we preserve the Florida Panther or the Panther in Florida" If you cross it, it is no longer protected.
Food for thought

Dough Nut (Food for weight!!)) LOL I just made that up, I crack myself up...

karo
02-04-2008, 20:46
I am another one of those people who has seen the supposedly nonexistent mountain lion in the eastern woods. My sighting was on the Tuscarora trail in Virginia, near the West Virginia line, about seven years ago.

It crossed the trail in broad daylight about 20 feet in front of me.
Please describe it for us, I have a friend that saw a big black feline in Tenn. He told the local ranger who stated that there was no cat like that in this area. I believe him and have talked to others who have seen the same thing in that area.

taildragger
02-04-2008, 20:51
In Oklahoma I walked onto a kill while tracking deer.

Was following tracks of a deer that I had shot at and missed the day before, I went out to track it to appease the other people I hunt with (its pretty obvious when a deers hit, and this one wasn't).

Anyways, about 300yds later I lose the trail and pick up the trail of another buck that was running, so I continue to follow this new bucks trail. I get back to the edge of the woods and I see clotted blood on the leaves (still wet). I walk in a little further and I can see a large depression in the leaves and more blood. I can also see where the deer had been drug through the leaves, so I start to follow that trail, curious to see what kind of deer had been killed. About 100 yds into the woods I see this little fork horn's carcass, well part of it at least. This sucker still had a little bit of wet muscle on it. I then got an eary feeling about this, especially since it was such a clean kill. I figure coyotes would have been sloppier and usually won't drag a kill that far, and it looked to clean for hogs (floor wasn't disturbed much around the kill except for the dragging trail). Just about that time I look up above me and I see parts of deer in the larger trees. I freaked and slowly backed out.

I told one of my friends in the wildlife dept about it and his response was, "Yeah, thats a cat kill. The farmer on the place next to you says he's been seeing one in that area for the last two years, welp...guess he was telling the truth"

Anyways, they're back, its just a matter of what does their range look like. One things for sure, they gotta lot of big rats to feed on...

troutseeker
02-04-2008, 22:44
Well perhaps forced reintroduction is not a good idea, but I do love the fact they are in the wild when I go out west. I know there are many who do not share the same view whom hike and bike out there. I was not sure there was enough forest to sustain a healthy population out here. I do agree the prospect of a child or any person being taken is enough to cast doubts on the merit of government intervention for their return. But taken from the other angle, should the government intervene to stop them from naturally returning? I do think so, but I realize I am likely in the minority.

The main reason I go into the wild is to be with wildlife. I am an amateur bear enthusiast and really enjoy walking in black and brown bear territory. Experts such as Lynn Rogers have showed me the safe ways to enter their domain. I realize mountain lions are an entirely different animal…literally. I have heard rumors they are in the GWNF and Shenandoah NP in Virginia and sightings posted on places such as Cougar Quest also confirm this possibility. I have also heard that most that are here were likely released pets.

Nearly Normal
02-05-2008, 00:19
People don't live the rural life they once did. Predators were thinned for the sake of small game which aren't depended on for fresh meat as they were.
In some parts of the south, coyotes are stripping areas of small game. They are past the need of a control factor. Some areas deer are way over populated.
Nature can't take care of this problem with man interlaced in the populations.
Big cats need big space. Unless they are hunted to instill fear people will become prey. I'm not sure even hunting will prevent attacks from cats.
I don't really want to hike on guard and as a hunter with a high powered rifle.

mrburns
02-05-2008, 21:41
It's definitly worth reading "The Beast In The Garden", by David Baron... (don't mean to keep plugging it, but it was truly an excellent account of MTN Lions in the U.S.)

In Colorado (the area documented by the book) the cats were getting very close to the town, and sometimes even prowled in the town. In one town some of the rangers shot the cats with bean bags when they approached the town... might sound cruel at first, but was very, very smart. The idea is that the cats won't want to return to the city and will be afraid of man. The cats teach their young what to hunt, where to hunt and what to be afraid of... Killing the cats is ineffective because they won't be able to teach that message to their young if they're dead... scaring the crap out of them is and excellent solution for the cats and for the safety of people.

There's also quite a bit of history recounted in the book with regard to how/why the cats became hunted to the brink of extinction in the US and what trends have changed the odds in favor of their survival... allowing them to repopulate.

People don't need to "reintroduce" the MTN lion... it is already reintroducing itself naturally, and people are in the position of deciding how they want to respond to this fact.

Toward the end of the book, MTN lions hadn't been observed in the east but some speculated on this as a possibility... and it's likely that more cities will need to address the same safety vs wildlife protection issues that many western cities are already dealing with... areas that are much less rural than folks might imagine.

Critterman
02-05-2008, 21:53
...........I have heard rumors they are in the GWNF and Shenandoah NP in Virginia and sightings posted on places such as Cougar Quest also confirm this possibility. I have also heard that most that are here were likely released pets.

As much foot traffic as there is in SNP I would be surprised if they are in SNP north of 211 especially without being sighted.

troutseeker
02-05-2008, 21:56
Sounds interesting. I'll check Amazon.

troutseeker
02-05-2008, 22:02
As much foot traffic as there is in SNP I would be surprised if they are in SNP north of 211 especially without being sighted.

I thought the same, but I hear more and more accounts. More in the GWNF in Frederick County actually. I know one of the reasons the Smithsonian Zoo CRC and the Park Service sponsored the cameras installed in SNP was to try to spot if mtn lions were in the region. I have my doubts they are here naturally, as opposed to pets that were released, but I still hope they are coming back.

Montego
02-05-2008, 22:16
I was not able to find the archive link in the Colorado Springs Gazette Journal Newspaper, but about 4 years ago, the Manitou Springs (1 mile west of Colorado Springs, CO) Middle School had to close for a day because a mountain lion was spotted on the school grounds by students about 7:30 am while waiting for classes to start.

Mountain lions have also been seen several times in the "Garden Of The Gods" area a few miles North-East of Manitou Springs as well as near the "Barr Trail" going up Pikes Peak in the Manitou Springs area.

I have not personally seen a mountain lion, though I did see a fox running down the middle of a snowy Maniou Blvd about 3:00 one morning, way cool.

Critterman
02-05-2008, 22:49
..............I have not personally seen a mountain lion, though I did see a fox running down the middle of a snowy Maniou Blvd about 3:00 one morning, way cool.

They run through my yard almost every day ! We have two resident foxes in our neighborhood and I see them all the time. No more rabbits !

Newb
02-06-2008, 08:48
I saw one dead on the side of the road (I-95) just south of the Virginia border in North Carolina. Just past that big lake there. In 2000/2001

notorius tic
02-06-2008, 09:29
I saw a rarley seen Florida Black Panther in Lakeland Florida, About 5 years ago, it was about 150lbs... Contacted my Buddy who works for the Florida fish an wildlife coom, an he went to track it but lost the tracs in a marsh..But definitly confirmed.. Now that cats habitat has been replaced bye a golf course, an million $ homes>:::::::::::::

Patrickjd9
02-07-2008, 00:04
Please describe it for us, I have a friend that saw a big black feline in Tenn. He told the local ranger who stated that there was no cat like that in this area. I believe him and have talked to others who have seen the same thing in that area.
The animal was about the height of a large dog, light brown solid color, very strong looking.

Never took a second look at me, simply crossed the trail right to left.

I called the Forest Service ranger station and while they couldn't confirm mountain lions were there, they said that I wasn't the first to make such a report in that area.

McPick
03-13-2008, 11:21
Several reports of lions being spotted in Northern Missouri during the past several years... Nothing like this!

The Killer Attack Mule

A couple from Montana were out riding on the range, he with his rifle and she (fortunately) with her camera. Their dogs always followed them, but on this occasion a Mountain Lion decided that he wanted to stalk the dogs (you'll see the dogs in the background watching). Very, very bad decision.

The hunter got off the mule with his rifle and decided to shoot in the air to scare away the lion, but before he could get off a shot the lion charged in and decided he wanted a piece of those dogs. With that, the mule took off and decided HE wanted a piece of that lion. That's when trouble broke loose for the lion.

As the lion approached the dogs, the mule snatched him up by the tail and started whirling him around. Banging its head on the ground on every pass. Then he dropped it, stomped on it and held it to the ground by the throat. The mule then got down on his knees and bit the thing all over a couple of dozen times to make sure it was dead, then whipped it into the air again, walked back over to the couple and stood there ready to continue his ride as if nothing had just happened.

Fortunately, even though the hunter didn't get off a shot, his wife go off these four pictures, even though it was mostly over by the time she thought to grab the camera.

Jan LiteShoe
03-13-2008, 11:48
2 were killed near the Pee Dee river in NC some years back, one was declawed and the other had a number tattooed in its ear. Pets turned loose after the owners tired of them.
I had one cross the road in front of my truck near Brown Mtn., if it was'nt a lion then I don't know what else it could have been.

Who are these people who get them as pets, and where do they get them from?
I believe you, but I wouldn't have the first clue where to get such an expensive and demanding "pet." Wouldn't you need a permit?

woodsy
03-13-2008, 13:15
Several reports of lions being spotted in Northern Missouri during the past several years... Nothing like this!

The Killer Attack Mule

A couple from Montana were out riding on the range, he with his rifle and she (fortunately) with her camera. Their dogs always followed them, but on this occasion a Mountain Lion decided that he wanted to stalk the dogs (you'll see the dogs in the background watching). Very, very bad decision.

The hunter got off the mule with his rifle and decided to shoot in the air to scare away the lion, but before he could get off a shot the lion charged in and decided he wanted a piece of those dogs. With that, the mule took off and decided HE wanted a piece of that lion. That's when trouble broke loose for the lion.

As the lion approached the dogs, the mule snatched him up by the tail and started whirling him around. Banging its head on the ground on every pass. Then he dropped it, stomped on it and held it to the ground by the throat. The mule then got down on his knees and bit the thing all over a couple of dozen times to make sure it was dead, then whipped it into the air again, walked back over to the couple and stood there ready to continue his ride as if nothing had just happened.

Fortunately, even though the hunter didn't get off a shot, his wife go off these four pictures, even though it was mostly over by the time she thought to grab the camera.

Hate to be the one to break the news to you but this story is only semi true. Although the Mule is seen mauling and flinging the dead lion around, the lion was killed first with a bullet or two.
This story surfaced a couple years ago.
As the old saying goes, don't believe everything you see, hear, or read.

The whole story can be read here at Snopes. com (http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/mulelion.asp)

Pony
03-13-2008, 17:52
Are there Yucca plants in Missouri? I didn't think there were, but I've been wrong before. That sort of gives it away that if it did happen it wasn't in Missouri.

Colter
03-13-2008, 21:10
There are no authenticated cases of truly melanistic cougars. Black cougars have been reported in Kentucky and in the Carolinas. There have also been reports of glossy black cougars from Kansas, Texas and eastern Nebraska. These have come to be known as the North American black panther. None has ever been photographed or shot in the wild and none has been bred. There is wide consensus among breeders and biologists that the animal does not exist and is a cryptid. Sightings are currently attributed to errors in species identification by non-experts, and by the memetic exaggeration of size.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_panther

Incahiker
03-26-2008, 18:05
I went riding my dual sport KLX around the forest service roads of the talledega national forest just west of the Georgia state line south of 278 in Bama. I came around a corner and saw a cougar just standing in the middle of the road, it was large and had a very long tail. I stopped with my mouth wide open and the next thing I knew it just leaped from the middle of the road in to the forest beyond, it had to be a 7'-0" leap that he made look like nothing. Well he was only maybe 20-30 yards away from me, but the creepy thing was that as soon as his body went into the forest, it completely dissapeared? It just went into full camo mode and I could not see it at all, that sorta freaked me out. I never have lost track of an animal that fast when it was so close. I did not see any leaves moving from contact with the cougar running away, so I got the hell outta there since he could have been right under my nose.

Nearly Normal
03-26-2008, 22:46
I hope they never admit they exist.
Think of the rules that would keep you and me out of the woods so this endangered critter could populate itself.
You would have to go around armed if these damn things ever get popular.

sasquatch2014
03-29-2008, 09:59
Extinct...In the mid-60's we saw one walking across the alfalfa field behind my uncle's farmhouse in the Catskills (Delaware county, NY).

If I could find the image I would post it but it is here on WB. a person posted a pic of a MT lion at his cabin. The Cabin is in South Western NY. If they are there then they can be in PA run the ridges and be in MD before anyone knows it. To me it is a richer experience being out in the woods and knowing you are not the apex of the food chain. Builds a healthy respect. Lived out west long enough to still have that burned into me.

cowboy nichols
03-29-2008, 10:25
My niece sent me recent pictures of a mountain lion taken south of Elmira N.Y. just over the Penna. line. I was raised in that area and much of the lands have gone back to woods as the dairy farms closed down. I don't know how to transfer pictures from an e-mail but if someone wanted to I could send them. Cowboy

Bulldawg
03-29-2008, 10:29
My niece sent me recent pictures of a mountain lion taken south of Elmira N.Y. just over the Penna. line. I was raised in that area and much of the lands have gone back to woods as the dairy farms closed down. I don't know how to transfer pictures from an e-mail but if someone wanted to I could send them. Cowboy

I wanna see them. TO transfer from email, just right click on the attachment and click on "save as". Then you will save them somewhere on your computer. Then you can post them here. If you dont want to do that, PM me, I'll give you my email.

chuckbuster
03-29-2008, 11:45
Taken from motion sensor camera in Montana. Ever get that feeling your being followed?

cowboy nichols
03-29-2008, 11:51
I wanna see them. TO transfer from email, just right click on the attachment and click on "save as". Then you will save them somewhere on your computer. Then you can post them here. If you dont want to do that, PM me, I'll give you my email.
I'll tryif not sucessful I'll em

turtle fast
03-29-2008, 12:55
wow nice chuckbuster....enough to give you the willies! I think though I heard one in northern michigan on the North Country trail...like a woman secreaming bloody murder with some breathy growling during the day on a ridge while I wason a solo hike....scared me silly...I could'a crapped myself....thought at first it could of been a fischer or a lynx eating a bird....come to find out it was a typical cougar sound....I WAS soo close!!

woodsy
03-29-2008, 16:28
Article from last spring
(http://www.concordmonitor.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070330/REPOSITORY/703300355/1103/RSS02)

borntobeoutdoors
04-08-2008, 01:37

Several years ago when i was hiking out west, I was stalked by a cat for about a mile.

It's about the scaredest I've ever been in all my years of backpacking. I've been in close proximity with bears and was in absolute awe of them, but the cat was a different story.

And it was cool after the fact, but it had my on alert for the whole time I was out there.

hawk

sofaking
04-08-2008, 02:32
Reintroduced? I was skeptical about them being here until I saw one.
I'd like to see a reintroduction as the gene pool of what is here must be very, very small.
i followed tracks in cullowhee 2 yrs ago. paws as big as my closed fist... hiked on a steep sidehill casting glances uphill and over my shoulder the whole way down... father in law tells me a lot of folks around there have seen them.

warraghiyagey
04-08-2008, 02:38
i followed tracks in cullowhee 2 yrs ago. paws as big as my closed fist... hiked on a steep sidehill casting glances uphill and over my shoulder the whole way down... father in law tells me a lot of folks around there have seen them.

Prints the size of your fist would be a bobcat. Moutain lions, Panther, Puma, etc. have a larger print. And they are out there too. I've seen them.
Beautiful.

Johnny Appleseed
04-08-2008, 02:41
In Missouri my grandparents own land that is very wooded all the way to the Mississipi River about 10 miles away. South of St. Louis by 1 hour. Niece saw a black mtn lion/panther when she was on horse back. Many neighbors saw one also. I suspect they are following the river up as it has flood areas that are only farmland w/ no houses. Over 2" foot prints in the cat classs is a mtn lion. At 2" it could be a bobcat. Also the jaguar was chased/killed all the way to Mexico and is making its' way back slowly. I say welcome. I'm still hiking deep and alone.

I heard of a guy attacked by a leaopard or some cat in India years ago. He said God told him to put his arm down the cats mouth. He did and it chocked the cat and it left. So if you get lucky enough and your neck is not snapped, try it.

sofaking
04-08-2008, 02:55
Prints the size of your fist would be a bobcat. Moutain lions, Panther, Puma, etc. have a larger print. And they are out there too. I've seen them.
Beautiful.
i don't think too many bobcats have paws as big as my ham hands...just as a reference, we stopped at the state zoo on the way home where they have a nice collection of life size bronzes of various animals, including cougars, and i showed the kids.

sasquatch2014
04-08-2008, 13:40
There was a great show the other day on the TV talking about the appearance of big cats in the US back into some of their origional territory. Keep in mind the number of things that have names associated with MT lions all along the east coast. Heck the Penn State football team is the Nittny Lions. A ski area on the CT MA border is called Catamount.

I have had more than a few experiences with them when I lived out west. They are truley something that is great to witness in the wild. I for one am glad to have had the chnace to share the woods with them in the past and will be glad to do so again. I have much more fear of two legged creatures than anything on 4.

warraghiyagey
04-08-2008, 18:33
Well said sasquatch.:)

sofaking
04-08-2008, 18:39
i'm worried about were-pigs. dude mentioned them hanging out around water sources, then wouldn't elaborate...now i'm thinking about carrying an 'arkansas pig sticker' blade or a battle axe. and kevlar chaps and snake boots. and a helmet, a helmet with a face cage like smoke jumpers wear...

warraghiyagey
04-08-2008, 18:46
i'm worried about were-pigs. ...

I saw one of those once but I don't know were it went.

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/ad/out.gif

Cherokee Bill
04-08-2008, 18:57
:-? A couple of years ago a friend of mine saw one, while hunting. It had the carcus of a deer buried in some leaves and was feeding.

The siteing was just off the "AT" in Central VA., where the "AT" crosses Rt 60 at Long Mtn Wayside ( appx 2.5 miles -N- of Brown Mtn Creek Shelter), about 2.5 miles -N- 0f RT 60. :rolleyes:

sofaking
04-08-2008, 21:12
:-? A couple of years ago a friend of mine saw one, while hunting. It had the carcus of a deer buried in some leaves and was feeding.

The siteing was just off the "AT" in Central VA., where the "AT" crosses Rt 60 at Long Mtn Wayside ( appx 2.5 miles -N- of Brown Mtn Creek Shelter), about 2.5 miles -N- 0f RT 60. :rolleyes:
dude, thanks for the heads up! maybe i'll stop in buena vista and get someone to shuttle me to lexington, that way i won't run into the were-pigs...then maybe i can leave some of this heavy gear behind. i just got some chain saw chaps that i think might be pretty effective at stopping tusk strikes and i attached some logging chains to the bottom of my pack,hanging down, kinda like a mud skirt to keep the were-pigs from sneaking up behind me and ham stringing me...but besides all that i was thinking about how to keep my gear weight down as much as possible. i've decided to carry five gallons of water at all times and to only fill up in towns because the dude did say something about water sources being prime habitat...

Nearly Normal
04-09-2008, 02:34
There was a great show the other day on the TV talking about the appearance of big cats in the US back into some of their origional territory. Keep in mind the number of things that have names associated with MT lions all along the east coast. Heck the Penn State football team is the Nittny Lions. A ski area on the CT MA border is called Catamount.

I have had more than a few experiences with them when I lived out west. They are truley something that is great to witness in the wild. I for one am glad to have had the chnace to share the woods with them in the past and will be glad to do so again. I have much more fear of two legged creatures than anything on 4.

That's where they need to stay, out west, in large wilderness areas.
Killers of livestock and people.
Can you honestly say you would welcome the freak-o rules DNR would have to enforce if they ever return to the east-coast. You be lucky if they let you in the woods after protection was declared. You would have to carry a high powered rifle everywhere you hiked.
No thanks.

take-a-knee
04-09-2008, 07:04
Can you honestly say you would welcome the freak-o rules DNR would have to enforce if they ever return to the east-coast. You be lucky if they let you in the woods after protection was declared. You would have to carry a high powered rifle everywhere you hiked.
No thanks.

A hot 9mm+P+ or a .357 would handle a mountain lion most efficiently, they are not African Lions.

chief
04-09-2008, 10:59
A hot 9mm+P+ or a .357 would handle a mountain lion most efficiently, they are not African Lions.Yep, you could also pop a .22 in his ear, but that ain't gonna happen is it?

taildragger
04-09-2008, 11:11
No thanks.

Thats part of the reason that most wildlife agencies refuse to acknowledge them as having established ranges in their state.

Also, when they were declared to be back in OK, the ODWC allows for you to shoot one if its chased cattle or if it "threatens" you. By far the loosest protection I've ever heard of, but then again, I don't mind the laws and most of the locals don't care about the cats since they have plenty of deer and pigs to eat.

take-a-knee
04-09-2008, 11:11
Yep, you could also pop a .22 in his ear, but that ain't gonna happen is it?

Mountain Lions were hunted to near extinction largely with Henry leverguns chambered for 44 rimfire (ballistically similar to 44 special) and 1873 Winchesters, most of which were chambered in the "hot" cartridge of its day, the 44/40 (ballistically equivalent to 44rem magnum).

sasquatch2014
04-10-2008, 00:30
The main reason for a problem with real apex type of wildlife coming to the east coast does not have anything to do with the animals as much as it does with the neo wilderness loving whiney assed pansies who are concerned for evereything and anything that has really nothing to do with them. Some fool who lives in the middle of Manhattan or Washington DC and has never been anyplace more wild than the local park will raise a stink about how evereyone will be doomed by these animals or that it is cruel to allow them to be forced to live within such a limited range. It will all depend on which way the wind is blowing that day as to the argument they will support.

Generally, I myself would be ok with the lions munching on a few of them. Heck there are enough of them that maybe they could become the lions main source of food. I still recall all the hysteria surrounding the re introduction of the wolves to Yellowstone. Yeah there were all the protection issues of the endangered species act etc but then there is Wyoming common sense that comes into play which is when you live in the 9th largest state in the union with the lowest population and an animal is killing the way you make your living or endangers you its simple you shoot and kill it and then shut the hell up about it. Now one difference is that most westerners can hit what the heck they aim at. Its another definition of "Gun Control"

But hey this is just me. I am a guy who watches the cop shows hoping they will tazer the suspects more. I have a bit different way of viewing the world. and from my angle it's all pretty damn funny.

take-a-knee
04-10-2008, 10:15
The main reason for a problem with real apex type of wildlife coming to the east coast does not have anything to do with the animals as much as it does with the neo wilderness loving whiney assed pansies who are concerned for evereything and anything that has really nothing to do with them. Some fool who lives in the middle of Manhattan or Washington DC and has never been anyplace more wild than the local park will raise a stink about how evereyone will be doomed by these animals or that it is cruel to allow them to be forced to live within such a limited range. It will all depend on which way the wind is blowing that day as to the argument they will support.

Generally, I myself would be ok with the lions munching on a few of them. Heck there are enough of them that maybe they could become the lions main source of food. I still recall all the hysteria surrounding the re introduction of the wolves to Yellowstone. Yeah there were all the protection issues of the endangered species act etc but then there is Wyoming common sense that comes into play which is when you live in the 9th largest state in the union with the lowest population and an animal is killing the way you make your living or endangers you its simple you shoot and kill it and then shut the hell up about it. Now one difference is that most westerners can hit what the heck they aim at. Its another definition of "Gun Control"

But hey this is just me. I am a guy who watches the cop shows hoping they will tazer the suspects more. I have a bit different way of viewing the world. and from my angle it's all pretty damn funny.

I like your angle Sasquatch. As an example of what you speak of, I got an email the other day from an animal protection organization asking for contributions to stop the "slaughter" of Yellowstone bison, it was worded like the rednecks are out of control killing everything in sight. Of course, master's degree prepared wildlife biologists have decided that a certain number of bison need to be culled to protect both the herd and the range but they left that part out. Some people are way too stupid to be put in charge of anything.

Nearly Normal
04-11-2008, 04:25
Bison are tasty.

sasquatch2014
04-11-2008, 06:35
Bison are tasty.

I support P.E.T.A

People Eatting Tastey Animals

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-11-2008, 08:14
I'm pretty sure I saw a mountain lion in the Smokies on Cold Spring Gap trail about 3 miles from the intersection of Hazel Creek Trail. It was about 30 years ago, just getting light enough to see clearly and I was on my way to a water source from a stealth camp when I spotted a big cat on the next rise - I know bob cats and I know panthers - this was way too big to be either one - and way too light in color to be a skinny bear (and it had a long tail and cat head and ears). It turned around, looked at me and took off up a hill into the woods. It moved like a cat.