PDA

View Full Version : current Weather/snow conditions @ Mt Mansfield?

garyhebert
01-30-2008, 09:11
Strongly thinking of hitting Mt Mansfield via LT this Saturday. still undecided NOBO or SOBO; possibly loop back to my truck via easier trails Sun morning; Have snowshoes, microspikes, good gear and I travel light. likely camp Sat nite in shelter;

Anybody know what snow, ice is like up there?

:eek:

Lone Wolf
01-30-2008, 09:17
Strongly thinking of hitting Mt Mansfield via LT this Saturday. still undecided NOBO or SOBO; possibly loop back to my truck via easier trails Sun morning; Have snowshoes, microspikes, good gear and I travel light. likely camp Sat nite in shelter;

Anybody know what snow, ice is like up there?

:eek:

http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/ski/tenday/802018:11

Frosty
01-30-2008, 10:10
Last Mansfield report was 01-03, but you can get a decent idea from similarly-altituded trails:

http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16

NorthCountryWoods
01-31-2008, 10:14
Had a couple days of freezing rain in the lowlands, not sure what they got up on top of Mansfield, but farther north had ice as high as 2200 feet.

I wouldn't plan a trip above tree line without full crampons, but that's me.

garyhebert
01-31-2008, 15:05
not sure I understand your comment about ice...

You think it's likely very icy vs. snow up top?
Are you saying nearby northern elevations up to 2200 feet got freezing rain making icy conditions?

thus crampons for you vs. microspikes or snowshoes with crampon-spikes
(I have MSR Lightning Ascents with some traction features for somewhat icy conditions)

(Some ice is ok, but I am much more concerned about sliding off a face if it's nothing but ice; I have no ice axe, nor full crampons; just poles & microspikes. :eek:)

neighbor dave
01-31-2008, 19:44
http://www.eotsweb.org/forecasts.php?#part3

NorthCountryWoods
01-31-2008, 20:09
Yeah, we got a couple rounds of freezing rain at least up to 2200 making horrendous snowshoeing (crampons won't grip), not sure if it rained up higher, but if not it was probably warm enough to thaw somewhat.

The problem normally above tree line is with wind loaded snow that snowshoes crampons and the micros won't bite into well enough. Also snowshoes can be liability on a steep slope.

The mountains got 3-6" yesterday after the rain and another 3-6" forecast for tomorrow. That on top of the refreeze could make for a weak layer and avalanche danger, but haven't heard any warnings.

Never been on Mansfield in winter, but have been on Camels Hump at least a dozen times and have needed full crampons near the summit every time. Wouldn't have continued with just spikes or snowshoes w/crampons, but again, I tend to be over-prepared in winter.

garyhebert
02-01-2008, 14:26
:eek: Yikes! Like, WOW!

After such a weather miserable report, let alone the "locals" report it sounds kinda foolish to execute the current plan. Stupid is as Stupid does. Guess I'll modify it "just a bit" to try some less steep trails around Mt Mansfield, if for no other reason, to gain more snowshoeing experience in crappy conditions-without the risk!

THANKS SO MUCH!

Peaks
02-01-2008, 17:45
:eek: Yikes! Like, WOW!

After such a weather miserable report, let alone the "locals" report it sounds kinda foolish to execute the current plan. Stupid is as Stupid does. Guess I'll modify it "just a bit" to try some less steep trails around Mt Mansfield, if for no other reason, to gain more snowshoeing experience in crappy conditions-without the risk!

THANKS SO MUCH!

Start of the Craftsbury Marathon is delayed by 2 hours and the course is shortened by 5K due to "deteriorating conditions."

Got to be crap weather up north.

NorthCountryWoods
02-01-2008, 17:49
It's freezing rain out there again right now. Not sure if your driving up from CT, but be careful.