PDA

View Full Version : Getting From Damascus to Franklin, WV

Kirby
01-30-2008, 10:58
Hi everyone:

I was wondering if there was any one I could get from Damascus to Franlin, WV using train/bus. My school will be on a one week trip there, and has expressed the desire to have me meeting them for a day or two if possible.

All suggestions welcome, thanks,
Kirby

Kirby
01-30-2008, 10:58
If there was anyway*

Lone Wolf
01-30-2008, 10:59
there'a bus station 30 miles from damascus i can get you to

Kirby
01-30-2008, 11:02
Thanks Wolf. Could you post either a link to their website or the name of the company so I can check scheduling and prices.

How much would the shuttle cost, $40 to 70 sound right?

Thanks,
Kirby

Alligator
01-30-2008, 11:03
Greyhound. (http://www.greyhound.com/home/)

Lone Wolf
01-30-2008, 11:05
i'll drive you to the bus station for free. it's a greyhound bus station in marion, Va.

Cuffs
01-30-2008, 14:28
Id check with the group you are hiking with first. Im sure their liability insurance would not cover such a venture away from the group...

Appalachian Tater
01-30-2008, 14:43
May I ask why they are going to Franklin, West Virginia?

dzierzak
01-30-2008, 15:37
Greyhound -

Marion to Charlottesvile, VA about $125 one way 20-31 hour ride each way.

Not very encouraging for a couple of days' visit.

Charlottesvill appears to be the closest stop. It is still about 100 miles away.

ed

Chaco Taco
01-30-2008, 15:44
Hi everyone:

I was wondering if there was any one I could get from Damascus to Franlin, WV using train/bus. My school will be on a one week trip there, and has expressed the desire to have me meeting them for a day or two if possible.

Kirby

When are you planning on meeting up with them?

Alligator
01-30-2008, 15:47
Greyhound -

Marion to Charlottesvile, VA about $125 one way 20-31 hour ride each way.

Not very encouraging for a couple of days' visit.

Charlottesvill appears to be the closest stop. It is still about 100 miles away.

edI'm not sure where you ran that but the fare is way off. I ran it for today and the trip was 5hr 15 minutes and $53. Also, 14 day advance purchase is $37 for a May date.

Lone Wolf
01-30-2008, 15:49
Hi everyone:

Kirby

It's a 4.5 hour drive from Damascus to Franklin. Maybe they could drive down to visit you?

dzierzak
01-30-2008, 16:11
I'm not sure where you ran that but the fare is way off. I ran it for today and the trip was 5hr 15 minutes and $53. Also, 14 day advance purchase is $37 for a May date.

Greyhound website - fare was for adult with no discounts. I guess it's not always accurate....

ed

Alligator
01-30-2008, 16:16
Greyhound website - fare was for adult with no discounts. I guess it's not always accurate....

edCould've been an off day you picked, with a missing connection. It seems to have routed the trip somewhere far as a hub.

Amtrak is like that too. Service isn't the same everyday, or not at all some days. Pick the wrong day and the trip time balloons.

Kirby
01-30-2008, 17:39
My school is doing work with Habitat Four Humanity the week before April break, and they are being sent to Franklin to do the work.

I would visit them during down time in Damascus, I am quite confident won't mind at all, I I've got a 4 day window where I can visit them, so I can make it work if I want to.

The reason why they would not be able to drive down and visit me is because it's easier for them to find sleeping for one additional person (me to them), than for me to find sleeping for 50 of them, and a one day visit would not be viable, that would be 9 hours of driving, leaving a small amount of time for the visit.

I would be meeting them the week of the 12th of April, when I should be within stones throw of Damascus (hopefully).

They are open to being able to pick me up where ever I can get the bus to.

All thoughts welcome.
Thanks,
Kirby

A-Train
01-30-2008, 17:47
My school is doing work with Habitat Four Humanity the week before April break, and they are being sent to Franklin to do the work.

I would visit them during down time in Damascus, I am quite confident won't mind at all, I I've got a 4 day window where I can visit them, so I can make it work if I want to.

The reason why they would not be able to drive down and visit me is because it's easier for them to find sleeping for one additional person (me to them), than for me to find sleeping for 50 of them, and a one day visit would not be viable, that would be 9 hours of driving, leaving a small amount of time for the visit.

I would be meeting them the week of the 12th of April, when I should be within stones throw of Damascus (hopefully).

They are open to being able to pick me up where ever I can get the bus to.

All thoughts welcome.
Thanks,
Kirby

Why not just hike to near Marion (Atkins, Groseclose, the park with Partnership Shelter) and then you wouldn't need Wolf or anyone to drive you to the bus. You'd be a few miles from the bus stations, but an easy hitch would get you there. This is only 4+ days north of Damascus. In fact I think I was in this area on April 14th, after leaving Springer 3-1, and wasn't moving particularly fast.

Kirby
01-30-2008, 18:27
Why not just hike to near Marion (Atkins, Groseclose, the park with Partnership Shelter) and then you wouldn't need Wolf or anyone to drive you to the bus. You'd be a few miles from the bus stations, but an easy hitch would get you there. This is only 4+ days north of Damascus. In fact I think I was in this area on April 14th, after leaving Springer 3-1, and wasn't moving particularly fast.

It all depends where I am when I would plan to meet them. Since I know I have a free ride from Damascus to the bus, I can plan accordingly if need be.

Wolf, if I plan to do this, I'll keep in touch with you as I'm approaching Damascus.

Thanks,
Kirby