PDA

View Full Version : Bored with My Trail Lunch

Hungry
01-30-2008, 12:14
All right folks, soliciting your best ideas here.

I am tired of my trail lunch menu, and wanted to get an idea of your favorite lunch while on the trail. So give it to me.... I'm ready for something new!

:banana I figured a dancing banana might spark your creativitiy.

Thanks,

Hungry

Lone Wolf
01-30-2008, 12:15
what is the current lunch?

DawnTreader
01-30-2008, 12:16
favorite trail lunch??

tortilla with peanut butter, tuna fish, hard cheddar, and gorp all rolled into a delicious doobie snack!!!! sometimes I throw a little minute rice into the mix... yum yum

warraghiyagey
01-30-2008, 12:18
Little Debbie Strawberry Swirl snack cakes.

Pedaling Fool
01-30-2008, 12:19
Eating is just a chore to me on the trail, although I do have a pretty good dinner. But I suck at breakfast/lunch/snacks.

Hungry
01-30-2008, 12:21
what is the current lunch?
Typically: Cliff bars, bagel, peanutbutter, gorp, that sort of thing.

Almost There
01-30-2008, 12:24
favorite trail lunch??

tortilla with peanut butter, tuna fish, hard cheddar, and gorp all rolled into a delicious doobie snack!!!! sometimes I throw a little minute rice into the mix... yum yum

UM....:-?I think I am gonna be sick! PB and Tuna with cheese...and GORP:eek: in one sandwich? JUst wanna make sure I got it right.

I usually go with Cheese and summer sausage or salami in a pita. Cheese bread with some kind of sausage is also good. Lunches are always cold foods for me, something easy to munch don't like to eat too much at lunch. I also when available will add some fresh fruit to lunch, grapes, an apple, an orange...it does wonders out on the trail!

Alligator
01-30-2008, 12:26
Avocado on an everything bagel, with a little salt.

I like dolmades (stuffed grape leaves) too, but the cans are heavy and they can be expensive. If you've got someone to make them for you though before you leave that's always a bonus.

Almost There
01-30-2008, 12:27
Oh, yeah everything bagels with cream cheese is pretty good too!

DawnTreader
01-30-2008, 12:31
UM....:-?I think I am gonna be sick! PB and Tuna with cheese...and GORP:eek: in one sandwich? JUst wanna make sure I got it right.

I usually go with Cheese and summer sausage or salami in a pita. Cheese bread with some kind of sausage is also good. Lunches are always cold foods for me, something easy to munch don't like to eat too much at lunch. I also when available will add some fresh fruit to lunch, grapes, an apple, an orange...it does wonders out on the trail!

Oh yeah, you heard that right... I've got no body fat, weigh a whopping 130 (5' 9 male,) and am starving by 11:00, even with breakfast.. I usually nap after lunch for 20 minutes, so it all sits well.. yum yum yum.... try it, you might be surprised!!!! Anybody elese into tuna and peanut butter??? Surely I'm not the only one...

Creek Dancer
01-30-2008, 12:49
Ramen Pasta Salad! Before setting out on the trail, start soaking the ramen noodles in water in a tight container. Add whatever dehydrated stuff you like such as veggies or protein. Take care to place the container somewhere on or in your pack in a way that would prevent the top from coming unscrewed. (I put mine in a tight side pocket.) At lunch, pour off the noodle water. Add cheese, pepperoni, or whatever you like to the hydrated ramen. Toss will a small amount of salad dressing and enjoy!!

Wise Old Owl
01-30-2008, 12:50
Snacks

String Cheese
Hard candy
Candy bars
Caffiene Snickers
Fig Newtons
Brownies
Fruit Cake or Cinimon cake Keastau
Pemmican
Beef Stick(my favorite)
raisins
Fruit leathers from Trader Joes

Carob coated raisins
nuts.
Nonni's Hard Bisscotti
Hard boiled egg with a small package of salt taped on
English muffin with ham & cheese pack of mayo on side
Wheat thins (tomato&basil) with a block of Monterey Jack "Cabot"
mini foil pack of Tuna or smoked Salmon on Bagel with mini prepack mayo & cayenne
Granny Smith Apple or Oranges,

Dried Beef Chipped with Extra Sharp Cabot Cheese on a Onion Bagle Mayo on side.

Shall I keep goin????

Hooch
01-30-2008, 12:54
Lunch is usually GORP/trail mix and Kashi bars or Clif bars. Wash it all down with 500ml of Propel or Gatorade. Yum. :D

Hungry
01-30-2008, 12:57
Oh, yeah everything bagels with cream cheese is pretty good too!
How long will cream cheese stay fresh? I know hard cheddards will be fine, but a soft cheese like cream cheese?

dpage
01-30-2008, 13:02
i like to eat MRE's any'time of the day B/L and D

Lyle
01-30-2008, 13:05
Salami/Cheese/crackers

Tuna on Flour Tortilla

Nutella on Flour Tortilla

PBJ's - carry bread tied to outside of pack to avoid crushing - eat fast

Tabouli on Tortilla - mix Tabouli with dehydrated tomatoes, olive oil, lemon juice in ziplock in AM, ready by lunch - highly recommended for something different!

minnesotasmith
01-30-2008, 13:07
But there are surely some people here who would exclaim, "At last!", upon seeing this new food product suitable for the outdoors:

http://gizmodo.com/350091/cheeseburger-in-a-can-is-both-the-best-and-worst-thing-ive-ever-seen

Lyle
01-30-2008, 13:08
How long will cream cheese stay fresh? I know hard cheddards will be fine, but a soft cheese like cream cheese?

Until it molds, then cut off mold and eat the rest fast. Never had a problem with carrying it for several days.

Wise Old Owl
01-30-2008, 13:09

While you're getting the fire going, here's an appetizer to quiet growling stomachs. "I find protein to be the hardest thing to get on the trail," says food writer and avid hiker Nicki Wood. "This is a nice change, and people associate it with festive times. Cream cheese is safe, unrefrigerated and in its original wrap, for at least three days."
18-ounce package cream cheeseDash of some or all of the following: Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, soy sauce, dried onion flakes, dried parsley, lemon-pepper1 can smoked oystersChopped parsley, fresh or dried (optional)With a fork, mash the cream cheese with seasonings to taste. Stir in oysters, mashing further. Sprinkle with parsley. Spread on crackers or pita bread. For a vegetarian version, mash the cream cheese with 1/3 cup minced olives and 1/3 cup chopped nuts. Serves 4 to 6.

budforester
01-30-2008, 13:11
Someone mentioned in a recent thread, that cream cheese is available in a squirt- on can.

warraghiyagey
01-30-2008, 13:11
Oh yeah, you heard that right... I've got no body fat, weigh a whopping 130 (5' 9 male,) and am starving by 11:00, even with breakfast.. I usually nap after lunch for 20 minutes, so it all sits well.. yum yum yum.... try it, you might be surprised!!!! Anybody elese into tuna and peanut butter??? Surely I'm not the only one...
I've actually seen this display on the trail. He makes it look likes it's delicious.

warraghiyagey
01-30-2008, 13:14
http://www.littledebbie.com/Images/products/shortcake.gif

Mrs Baggins
01-30-2008, 13:18
Ramen Pasta Salad! Before setting out on the trail, start soaking the ramen noodles in water in a tight container. Add whatever dehydrated stuff you like such as veggies or protein. Take care to place the container somewhere on or in your pack in a way that would prevent the top from coming unscrewed. (I put mine in a tight side pocket.) At lunch, pour off the noodle water. Add cheese, pepperoni, or whatever you like to the hydrated ramen. Toss will a small amount of salad dressing and enjoy!!

Now THIS sounds good! And easy! I don't like a bunch of sweet or breakfast-like stuff for lunch. I want stuff like salami, summer sausage, cheese, maybe a plain bagel with cream cheese, crackers, tuna, mayo, that kind of thing. After breakfast my only "sweets" are 2 Snickers a day and fruit when I can get it.

Creek Dancer
01-30-2008, 13:27
Yes, it is good! Sometimes I make it for dinner instead if I am expecting a really long day of hiking and I know I will not feel like cooking a dinner.

I should add that you should not add the ramen flavor packet to the mixture. Oh, and I use one of those powdered Gatoraid containers. It weights very little, the top screws on tightly and I can use the container for many other things.

Gray Blazer
01-30-2008, 13:27
But there are surely some people here who would exclaim, "At last!", upon seeing this new food product suitable for the outdoors:

http://gizmodo.com/350091/cheeseburger-in-a-can-is-both-the-best-and-worst-thing-ive-ever-seen

Cheeezeburgerssszzz....DOH!! I love cheese burgers, but, I think I would draw the line there.

Seeker
01-30-2008, 13:28
i'm another one who eats to live... if there were a pill i could take instead of eating, i'd be all over it...

sometimes it's just a 'snack all day' hike, and other times it's a more formal 'sit in a nice spot and eat a real lunch' thing... in no particular order, here are some things i eat.

landjaeger (a german smoked salami thing)
jerky
salami/pepperoni/beefstick
cheese sticks or block of cheddar
apples
fruit cups (Dole)
bagels
wheat thins crackers (just about indestructible)
triscuit crackers (sturdy, but not like a wheat thin)
cheezy crackers with cheese or PB filling
instant soup
canned meats (spam, deviled ham, smoked oysters)
Almonds or other nuts
Raisins or other dried fruit for dessert

leeki pole
01-30-2008, 13:36
Flour tortilla, summer sausage and/or pepperoni, cheddar cheese, banana slices, peanut butter with a splash of tabasco and a sprinkle of Tony's on top. Elvis liked it, by the way. ;) Yeah, Mama.

warraghiyagey
01-30-2008, 13:39
Elvis liked it, by the way. ;) Yeah, Mama.
Sounds like a reason Not to eat it.:rolleyes::p

bigcranky
01-30-2008, 13:41
Large flour tortilla, 3-4 slices american cheese, large packet of tuna, 4-5 mayo packets, 1-2 mustard packets. Wrap and enjoy.

Wise Old Owl
01-30-2008, 13:42
Someone mentioned in a recent thread, that cream cheese is available in a squirt- on can.

Yes Kraft makes Easy Cheese with Cream Cheese that holds about a whole cup of goo. Advantage - doesn't spoil or require refrigeration.

Propellent is flammable- can weight 8 oz - good results

http://www.cockeyed.com/inside/cheese/cheese3.jpg

Wise Old Owl
01-30-2008, 13:46
Cheeezeburgerssszzz....DOH!! I love cheese burgers, but, I think I would draw the line there.

Last month I was in a Irish resturaunt with a big crowd and the locals were scarfing up cheeseburgers in a oversized toasted english muffin - it proved fairly sturdy and delicious, it would hold up as trail food-alas cold!

Gray Blazer
01-30-2008, 14:10
Flour tortilla, summer sausage and/or pepperoni, cheddar cheese, banana slices, peanut butter with a splash of tabasco and a sprinkle of Tony's on top. Elvis liked it, by the way. ;) Yeah, Mama.

I hope we don't find you lying by a toilet.:D

Gray Blazer
01-30-2008, 14:12
Last month I was in a Irish resturaunt with a big crowd and the locals were scarfing up cheeseburgers in a oversized toasted english muffin - it proved faily sturdy and delicious, it would hold up as trail food-alas cold!

Sounds good. I'd wrap it up and eat it a few hours later. I draw the line at the canned cheeseburgers though.

sarbar
01-30-2008, 16:05
I was nearly beaten by a hiking partner for pulling out a can of it in October :D It was good though (ok, trail good, not at home good!). Only thing is.....it won't come out if cold, so you will be sitting in camp with it between your legs, warming it up...lol!

warraghiyagey
01-30-2008, 16:07
Only thing is.....it won't come out if cold, so you will be sitting in camp with it between your legs, warming it up...lol!
Still talkin about cream cheese, right??

Alligator
01-30-2008, 16:09
The would be real messy if it went off accidently. Cream cheese everywhere.

JAK
01-30-2008, 16:16
I try and hike from breakfast to supper, but I will drink tea with milk and honey along the way. I will also forage a few berries that come my way. If I do eat it would be a handful of raisins or a granola bar if I packed any. My absolute favourite would be some scottish oatcakes, slathered in honey if I'm real hungry.

sarbar
01-30-2008, 16:16
I hope so :eek::p

Creek Dancer
01-30-2008, 16:31
That canned stuff will squirt EVERYWHERE and get on EVERYTHING if you carry it from a low elevation to higher one and then try to put some on your cracker.....errr, or so I've been told anyway. I would never do that! Nope, not I. :o:o:o:o

Hikes in Rain
01-30-2008, 16:33
Some great ideas here, for my upcoming section through the northern Smokies. Well, except the canned cheeseburger.

Absolute favorite: Bagel, summer sausage (hiking's the only time I eat it), cheese, and a single serving mustard pack.

mudhead
01-30-2008, 16:47
Sick and wrong. If it makes you happy, I am glad.

I like the comments under this: "four frickin' Euros!"

JAK
01-30-2008, 16:48
Here is a decent recipe for traditional Scottish Oatcakes, easily adapted for making them in the field using stuff you aleady brought for breakfast. You can make them in your mug, one at a time, or you make 'em at home in the oven and eat them either warm or cold.

http://www.chalet-lounge.com/cookbook/baking.php#Oatcakes

Homemade Oatcakes

These are far superior to the rubbish shop-bought ones, they are really easy to make, and a real bonus when you are in France because you can't buy them anywhere. Well, not as far as I know anyway!

Makes about 25 x 5cm rounds

175g medium ground rolled oats
½ tsp salt
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tbsp butter or olive oil
1 tsp brown sugar
6-8 tbsp water, more if necessary
Preheat oven to 150ºC. Mix all dry ingredients together well, ensuring there are no lumps of sugar. Melt butter, or mix oil, with water. Add to oats and mix to a dough. Don't add too much water or oatcakes will be tough - not enough and they will fall apart! Add enough so mix just holds together.

Sprinkle extra oats on to board and turn dough on to it. Knead into a ball, then roll out to 4-5mm thickness. Either cut round into eighths to create wedges, or cut with a cookie cutter (better). If you don't have a cutter, you could improvise with a small rinsed and dried tin can (the little tomato purée cans are a good size) or a glass. Roll offcuts into a ball, roll out again and cut more rounds until all dough is used up. Place on a baking sheet lined with baking paper and bake for 50-60 minutes until crisp. Serve with cheddar and chutney.

MOWGLI
01-30-2008, 17:27
Here's what I do. I take a sandwich baggies and fill one for each day with 4-5 different bars and such. There is usually a Snickers or a Milky Way for each day, some kind a fruit bar, and such. On the last trip I carried a couple of Lara Bars and a Kind Bar or two. Granola Bars too. Basically I snack my way though the afternoon. I like to walk and eat at the same time. Especially in the winter when daylight is precious.

Another option is a hunk of cheese (preferably smoked) and perhaps some pepperoni or summer sausage. I have to stop to have that lunch.

tiptoe
01-30-2008, 17:55
Lunch may happen at a set time, if I happen to be passing a shelter. More often it's a grazing affair that typically includes a candy bar or power bar, beef jerky, dried fruit (these two prepared at home in a dehydrator), and gorp. If I happen to be passing a deli, I get a big sandwich and have half for lunch, half for supper.

Frosty
01-30-2008, 18:09
Have you considered edible hiking gear?

My favorite is the edible tarp:
http://www.ediblegear.com/shelters.html
especially the passionfruit one. Wow!

I also like the edible trekking poles, but don't get the vegan version. Too dry.
http://www.ediblegear.com/poles.html

AT-HITMAN2005
01-30-2008, 18:36

Clif bars definitely get old. some suggestions:

Goober on a bagel or in a tortilla(goober-peanut butter and jelly in 1 jar)

tuna, chicken and cheese in a tortilla

one of my favorites- wheat thins and peanut butter.more filling than you think. buy a box of them and split into individual days.

didn't do it personally but triscuits and cheese would be good too.

Hungry
01-30-2008, 21:01
All very awesome ideas!! Thanks for the input. I'll try some on my section this year, and let you know my favorite.

Many Thanks,

Hungry

Wise Old Owl
02-03-2008, 00:52
I try and hike from breakfast to supper, but I will drink tea with milk and honey along the way. I will also forage a few berries that come my way. If I do eat it would be a handful of raisins or a granola bar if I packed any. My absolute favourite would be some scottish oatcakes, slathered in honey if I'm real hungry.

:banana

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/usrecipes/oatcakes/index.html

JAK
02-03-2008, 00:59
Happy to inspire you. Now lets both get out and hike and have some scones along the way. :banana

JAK
02-03-2008, 01:00
LOL. I meant scottish oatcakes.
I've got scones and shortbread on my mind now from the other thread.
Ah well, bring it all. :banana:banana:banana

Almost There
02-03-2008, 02:04
You can get Philadelphia Cream Cheese in single serving packets I believe at Sam's Club. I pack those, carried them last June, and worked fine for a week. Should keep for 3-5 days no problem...Remember all cheese was created to last longer than milk without refrigeration. Besides, it's gotta be better than Cheeseburger in a Can!

GGS2
02-03-2008, 02:39
Remember all cheese was created to last longer than milk without refrigeration.

Surely that's backwards. I would think that cheese resulted from simply keeping milk beyond its best before date. In fact, I think I remember some idea, probably speculative, that cheese came from keeping fresh milk in a stomach bottle, like a Spanish wine skin. Another interesting cheese fact: cheeses the world over have locally peculiar organisms, yeasts and bacteria, which make them distinctive. Various cheeses also result from numerous variations in preparation, including water and fat content, and manipulation of the ripening cheese. I always thought that cheese makers had to keep their premises very clean to avoid contamination. Turns out that is also backwards. Instead, they have to keep their premises saturated with the desirable flora, so as to make sure that the next batch is promptly inoculated with the authentic stuff. At least that is the traditional method. Modern regulations no doubt turn that on its head.

Consider this also. Certain traditional cheeses, like Brie, which originally comes from the village of Brie in France, start out young as a firm, chalky fresh cheese, but gradually age into a creamy, then runny, and finally somewhat putrid mass. The epicurean taste labels one stage, the creamy, runny one, to be perfect, but I imagine the locals have been eating it in all stages as a matter of course, since to them it is simply stored milk, and a local, no doubt superb and much better than their neighbors stuff (Camembert), staple foodstuff. Think of a Brie shepherd off to his flock with a round of Brie and a loaf of local bread for lunch.

Anyway, your cream cheese is a modern form of a young, fatty cheese made from cream, newly curdled but not yet inoculated with any local bacteria etc. In modern use, it is probably pasteurized, meaning lifeless. It will last as long as it is not colonized by any of the wrong sort of bugs, or dried up. Beyond that it has no defenses. It is no doubt wholesome food, as is milk, but it is not especially proof against spoilage. The whole or skim milk version of the same would be dry cottage or white cheese, without the whey or watery mother liquid. In modern form, lite cream cheeses also have other ingredients to mimic the texture of cream cheese without the butterfat content, and preservatives to retard the process of aging or ripening. All of them tend to dry and crust from the outside in, forming a translucent, creamy white color crust, which is the part least likely to be good for you. This is similar to casein glue. So long as it remains white and in its original consistency, it is probably good. Best to keep it in its original block shape by cutting off a portion to eat without disturbing the remainder, and presenting the least exposed surface to dry and become infected.

All good stuff, but we no longer really know what our food is, nor what it is supposed to behave like. Very unfortunate, don't you think?

Downunda
02-03-2008, 04:38
After quite a while on the trail I really got sick of lunch (mainly tuna or bagels) and switched to tortillas and peanut butter, occasionally with jelly. I never tired of that combo. A big advantage of tortillas is that they travel well and tend not to get damaged.

SlowLightTrek
02-03-2008, 07:46
Gardettos bread snacks were my favorite. Anything with grains = alot of good lasting carbs that sustain you. Licorice, skittels, and snikers. Sugar boosts help alot especially toward the end of the day when you start wearing out. Mixed nuts for protien and fat burn slow last most of the day.

budforester
02-03-2008, 10:15
Here is a decent recipe for traditional Scottish Oatcakes... http://www.chalet-lounge.com/cookbook/baking.php#Oatcakes

Homemade Oatcakes....
Thanks JAK, definitely want to try that recipe. I may need to test the Anzac biscuit recipe, too, from that site you linked.

Wise Old Owl
02-03-2008, 14:20
LOL. I meant scottish oatcakes.
I've got scones and shortbread on my mind now from the other thread.
Ah well, bring it all. :banana:banana:banana

As I write this the bread machine is pumping out the Oatmeal Whole Wheat & Brown Sugar loaf. I reached for the Higland Pride Butter Shortbread and The alchol stove is working on boiling water in a Billy for Tea! Are you bringing the Scones?:rolleyes:

AT-HITMAN2005
02-03-2008, 14:49
i would carry a bag of skittles or sweettarts for the end of the day nice little boost.

rafe
02-03-2008, 15:07
Well, good luck finding this stuff near the trail, but if you do mail drops, put a few bars of Halvah (http://www.halvah.biz/) in each one. It's an incredible dessert-like snack, and keeps well.

Roland
02-03-2008, 15:50
Well, good luck finding this stuff near the trail, but if you do mail drops, put a few bars of Halvah (http://www.halvah.biz/) in each one. It's an incredible dessert-like snack, and keeps well.

I'm not familiar with this product, terrapin. Have you sampled all varieties? What's your recommendation? I may give it a try.

kayak karl
02-03-2008, 15:57
...............3226:D

swellbill
02-03-2008, 16:24
The would be real messy if it went off accidently. Cream cheese everywhere.

Cobweb-Boy...um... I mean my oldest son had a can explode in his food bag while on a trek last summer. I couldn't decide if I should laugh :D or cry :( because he suddenly had none to share.

DavidNH
02-03-2008, 16:35

Hungry..

Life just isnt right without Chocolate. Milky Ways and snickers. Yum. In fact, I liked snickers bars so much it be came my trail name..Snickers!

Additionally, gorp, cheese, crackers, more cheese.

David

rafe
02-03-2008, 16:41
I'm not familiar with this product, terrapin. Have you sampled all varieties? What's your recommendation? I may give it a try.

I'll happily eat any flavor of Halvah, but I actually prefer the plain unflavored stuff. It has an intrinsic flavor (that comes from the sugar and sesame) that I enjoy all by itself. Very few hikers know about this stuff, but when I've had it to share on the trail, I don't recall anyone not liking it. ;)

Roland
02-03-2008, 17:07
I'll happily eat any flavor of Halvah, but I actually prefer the plain unflavored stuff. It has an intrinsic flavor (that comes from the sugar and sesame) that I enjoy all by itself. Very few hikers know about this stuff, but when I've had it to share on the trail, I don't recall anyone not liking it. ;)

Thanks for the information, and the link, terrapin. I look forward to trying Halvah.

GGS2
02-03-2008, 17:25

Hlavah should really go in the old fashioned trail food thread, cause that's what it is. Sort of like elvish lembas from the Middle East.

rafe
02-03-2008, 17:36
Hlavah should really go in the old fashioned trail food thread, cause that's what it is. Sort of like elvish lembas from the Middle East.

Not lembas. I think of lembas as very dry and mostly starch, like a very dense cracker. Halvah is completely different -- loaded with protein (ground sesame seeds) sugar and a healthy dose of (sesame) oil. Serious calories!

IIRC, by the end of their trip Sam and Frodo were eating lembas without much enthusiasm.

Roland
02-03-2008, 18:18

I surveyed their products and, at your recommendation, added a box of plain Halvah, to my shopping cart. $26 for 36 bars; pretty reasonable. Then I navigated to the checkout screen. $12 for shipping?!!! What? I can't bring myself to pay nearly 50% of the cost of my order, for shipping.

I'll check the local specialty stores, to see if they carry it.

GGS2
02-03-2008, 18:27
Not lembas. I think of lembas as very dry and mostly starch, like a very dense cracker. Halvah is completely different -- loaded with protein (ground sesame seeds) sugar and a healthy dose of (sesame) oil. Serious calories!

IIRC, by the end of their trip Sam and Frodo were eating lembas without much enthusiasm.

Oh? You got a recipe for lembas? Halvah crumbles, too. But I agree, it's really great stuff. The original recipe uses honey, which is also cool.

At the end of the trip, Gollum ditches the last of their supply. They never get tired of it, considering the alternative. Sam prefers coney stew, Gollum just wants to eat the rabbit raw, Frodo is well past it by then. Why do I remember all this stuff?

I would tend to pass on the little pre-wrapped bars and go for some pure stuff from a Lebanese grocery store. It comes in big, honking loaves, about a ton each. Cut slices and wrap. You might like the chocolate flavored stuff with nuts.

rafe
02-03-2008, 18:47
I surveyed their products and, at your recommendation, added a box of plain Halvah, to my shopping cart. $26 for 36 bars; pretty reasonable. Then I navigated to the checkout screen. $12 for shipping?!!! What? I can't bring myself to pay nearly 50% of the cost of my order, for shipping.

I'll check the local specialty stores, to see if they carry it.

Too bad about the shipping charges, I haven't actually ordered from that site. It's touch-and-go finding this stuff at supermarkets, even good ones. Your best bet is in markets with an ethnic (in this case, Jewish or Middle-eastern) clientele. Food co-ops may have it as well. The bars came in various sizes. You can get it "bulk" in cans but that wouldn't work for mail drops. The stuff doesn't go bad, but there's a significant oil content. On the trail, put the bar in in a Ziploc (like you'd do with a bar of cheese.)

mrgadget921
12-11-2012, 21:57
mmm! not your first rodeo! heavy but mmm! mmm!

Wise Old Owl
12-11-2012, 22:18

Actually if you can pump it.... pump on a bear claw!

Portie
02-23-2013, 12:04
A few lunch ideas and a question:

1. Tin of oysters on Ritz crackers (water crackers also work).
2. Tin of kippers on soda crackers (water crackers also work here).
3. Heavy duty Ikea Ryekrisp with choice of cheese.

Question: how long would pickled herring last unrefrigerated on the trail?

mother goose
02-23-2013, 13:05
I kinda found this by accident and maybe someone else has done it but here goes, in the AM I put ramen noodles to soak and by lunch they are "cooked" I then add a meat (tuna, con, spam) cheese and mayo. A couple packets it's a cold pasta humhum

mother goose
02-23-2013, 13:07
That was chicken, spam or tuna

Hairbear
02-24-2013, 10:12

Now that sounds good...

Hairbear
02-24-2013, 10:29
Lunch is a no cook time for me,so its tuna sandwich made from some good bread,sharp cheese,with raisons.