PDA

View Full Version : shuttle from Fontana Dam to a Greyhound depot - any ideas?

amytlewis
01-02-2004, 17:41
Hi there,

I’m very interested in hiking part of the AT this spring. I originally wanted to attempt a thru-hike, but now I won’t be able to do so. Instead, I was hoping to hike for about 2 ½ weeks, starting from Springer Mtn (to get the feel of what it would be like). I can only get that much time off of work, so I want to be able to use as much of it as possible. I assume that if I hike for 18-19 days, I can reach Fontana Dam and the entrance to the Smokies. My only concern is how to get off the AT and into a big enough town to catch a Greyhound bus back to Atlanta.

The closest places I see around this area to catch a bus would be either Knoxville or Asheville (although I could also work out Waynesville). Are there any other options you can think of? Is there any way to get from Fontana Dam to any of these cities? Do you think I will have to get off the Trail earlier?

Thanks in advance for your help. I am from NH so I have no idea about these locations.
Amy

Jack Tarlin
01-02-2004, 17:58
Amy---

First off, the good news: Assuming you're in good shape and you don't run into horrible weather, 18-19 days is more than enough time to get from Springer to Fontana Dam; most folks seem to make it in 14-17 days, and frequently, less time than that.

As far as shuttles or rides to a bus or train station, I suggest you contact Jeff or Nancy Hoch who run the very hiker-friendly Hike Inn near Fontana Dam; they'd know all about bus services, and also provide efficient and affordable shuttling to anywhere you might need to go in the area. You can contact them at (828) 479-3677 or write them at [email protected]

Jeff and Nancy are wonderful people who've been in the business of helping out hikers for around 10 years, and anyone who's heading down that way, or hiking thru that way, should consider them their first resource for information, assistance, shuttling, lodging, or anything else.

A-Train
01-03-2004, 00:36
Newfound Gap is only 40 miles (3 days) past Fontana Dam. This is definately a possibility in 18-19 days. Most folks make it in about that time. From New Found gap you could go into Gatlinburg and get transportation to a bigger town and get back home. I'd call a few people before hand, get some info and numbers and just stay flexible. You may be able to make more or less miles than you expect. Good luck and have fun

Uncle Wayne
01-05-2004, 03:30
Jeff and Nancy Hoch will be able to help you with that info. We've used them twice and they'll treat you better than family!

amytlewis
01-05-2004, 11:46
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! I'll get some phone numbers and bring them along, and see how far I get. Can't wait!!!

Jaybird
01-05-2004, 12:49
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! I'll get some phone numbers and bring them along, and see how far I get. Can't wait!!!

Amy:

if you decide to NOT go with the Hochs @ the Hike Inn, there are many shuttle drivers' names on the ATC website.

www.appalachiantrail.org/hike/plan/cars.html

good luck!

hope to see U up the trail in 2004! ;)