PDA

View Full Version : Foot arch pain

Mrs Baggins
01-30-2008, 13:56
I'd hiked/backpacked for 5 years without any foot pain - not even so much as a blister. Then last March we started a thru-hike and within 6 days I was off the trail because my insteps were so sore and inflamed I couldn't go on. I went to a podiatrist and he cast my feet for orthotics. (He also had no explanation for "why now?" He just said "this happens when it happens") For $300 :eek: I got a pair of wafer thin foam rubber insoles with a plastic 1/4" high heel attached. I put them in my boots and yes, the pain never came back. Now they're breaking down, the pain is coming back when I hike, and I need a new pair but I really don't want to cough up $300 again (no insurance the first time and now our new insurance will not pay for "pre-existing conditions"). Surely with all of the over-the-counter insoles out there, there must be something that would work just as well. I tried Super Feet while still on the trail and they did absolutely nothing for me. Any suggestions?????

Ender
01-30-2008, 13:59
Hmmm... you could try making a mold of your current orthotics, and recasting them with a tough silicone. Good thing about doing that, if it works, is that you can re-use the cast over and over to make multiple pairs on orthotics.

Of course, I have no idea how to actually do that, since I've never made a mold in my life. But if you know how, it's a thought.

Footslogger
01-30-2008, 14:11
I tried Super Feet while still on the trail and they did absolutely nothing for me. Any suggestions?????

====================================

We're the Superfeet you tried the Green "Trim to Fits" ??

If so, you might want to get a pair of the custom Superfeed made for you. A lot less than $300 and will conform to your feet better than the off-the-shelf Green ones. They are heated and made one at a time so they also take into account differences in your right/left foot.

Worth a try anway.

'Slogger

Ender
01-30-2008, 14:13
If so, you might want to get a pair of the custom Superfeed made for you. A lot less than $300 and will conform to your feet better than the off-the-shelf Green ones. They are heated and made one at a time so they also take into account differences in your right/left foot.

Worth a try anway.

'Slogger

That's a much better suggestion than mine. Try his suggestion first. :p

GGS2
01-30-2008, 14:15
Back in the day, there were simple cork composition heel lifts. The insole is just to keep the heel lift in place, and to replace the original insole. I would suggest:

1. Examine your orthotic carefully to determine if there are any subtle shape details, and to measure how much lift you require,

2. Look for a "sports" insole with a heel lift that matches, or get a shoe repairman to make a simple heel lift and glue it to an insole.

Mrs Baggins
01-30-2008, 14:16
====================================

We're the Superfeet you tried the Green "Trim to Fits" ??

Worth a try anway.

'Slogger

Yes, they were the trim-to-fit. I got them at Mountain Crossings. Where do I go for the heated up ones?????

wilconow
01-30-2008, 15:37
If you know something works for your feet, you may reconsider coughing out the $300. Some things are just worth it.

Footslogger
01-30-2008, 15:45
Yes, they were the trim-to-fit. I got them at Mountain Crossings. Where do I go for the heated up ones?????

========================================

I used to work at an outfitter and was trained to make the custom ones. Been a while since I've frequented any big city outfitters but several of them (including Mountain Crossings) used to have the SuperFeet Chair and people trained to make the custom footbeds. The Perimeter REI store had one as did the original Atlanta REI store. Call around and ask. I know there must still be some stores that offer the custom footbeds.

'Slogger

Critterman
01-30-2008, 17:16
I'd hiked/backpacked for 5 years without any foot pain - not even so much as a blister. Then last March we started a thru-hike and within 6 days I was off the trail because my insteps were so sore and inflamed I couldn't go on. I went to a podiatrist and he cast my feet for orthotics. (He also had no explanation for "why now?" He just said "this happens when it happens") For $300 :eek: I got a pair of wafer thin foam rubber insoles with a plastic 1/4" high heel attached. I put them in my boots and yes, the pain never came back. Now they're breaking down, the pain is coming back when I hike, and I need a new pair but I really don't want to cough up $300 again (no insurance the first time and now our new insurance will not pay for "pre-existing conditions"). Surely with all of the over-the-counter insoles out there, there must be something that would work just as well. I tried Super Feet while still on the trail and they did absolutely nothing for me. Any suggestions?????

I have tried many things and nothing beats orthotics from a good podiatrist. I say pay the money and your feet and knees will thank you.

mudhead
01-30-2008, 17:25

The superfeet website at one time had a store locator search function.

Ender
01-30-2008, 17:30
I have tried many things and nothing beats orthotics from a good podiatrist. I say pay the money and your feet and knees will thank you.

I would agree with this. I used to use orthotics, and I swear they fixed my feet, because I don't need them any more. Every so often my feet will hurt a little again, but then it goes away on its own. In the past, I needed the orthotics to make the pain go away. After 5 years of wearing them though, I no longer need them. Not sure if they fixed my feet, or just gave my feet time to heal on their own, but however it happened, I credit them for allowing me to wear sandals again.

Barbarosa
01-30-2008, 17:57
I have had problems with planters fasciitis (inflamation of the tendon that runs from the heel up the arch) and have gone to a sports orthopedic doc. Sounds like the same or similar thing. He had me do the following things to manage it:

-Stretch every day either by standing on stairs with the ball of your foot and "pushing your heel down" or by putting one leg way back behind you and pushing the heel down. If your calf hurts your doing it correctly.

-Ice the heel down after activity (in my case running)

-Take anti inflamitories if needed

-Wear a footbrace at night to keep it stretched

-Cross train or manage activity to pound my heels less.

By doing some combination of the above as needed over the past two years, I do pretty good managing the issue.

Also when hiking my camp sandle is a birkenstock, which have a reel high arch support and feel great on the feet.

ChinMusic
01-30-2008, 19:05
I have had problems with planters fasciitis (inflamation of the tendon that runs from the heel up the arch) and have gone to a sports orthopedic doc. Sounds like the same or similar thing. He had me do the following things to manage it:

-Stretch every day either by standing on stairs with the ball of your foot and "pushing your heel down" or by putting one leg way back behind you and pushing the heel down. If your calf hurts your doing it correctly.

I agree with jlboyer - Stretching your calves is important, more important to some than others. I TRY to stretch my calves several times a day when hiking. I would think that on a thru this would be even more important to me. I have been told that daily stretchings of the calves can decrease the chances of Plantar Fasciitis down the road (trail). It can't hurt to add some stretching into your plans.

Tennessee Viking
01-30-2008, 19:55
I have the flatest feet in the world. Absolutely no arch. What I found is to get a good work/sport insole, then lay in an arch support.

Then when hiking, my ankles turn inward putting extra pressure on my arch. So shoe wise, I would recommend a hiking boot or high top hiking shoe with cross training support. Something with a really sturdy ankle, nothing with fabric.

River Runner
01-30-2008, 22:18
Not sure if it would work in your cases, but Dr. Scholl's has a memory foam insole. I tried a pair in my Keen trail shoes which had the worst insoles I think I have ever had in a hiking shoe, and found them very comfortable.

Also, I'm not sure if this is your case, but gaining weight seems to make arch pain worse for me. Conversely, losing weight helps (and helped a friend of mine with plantar fascia problems).

Critterman
01-31-2008, 09:24
I have the flatest feet in the world. Absolutely no arch. What I found is to get a good work/sport insole, then lay in an arch support.............

I have very flat feet as well and spent 30 years on my feet all day. When I was your age orthotics sucked and I went without except for store bought supports and my feet hurt all the time. By my forties I developed alot of knee pain as well. A few years ago I tried orthotics again and found the technology has made dramatic improvements in materials and fit. I wear them all the time now and my knees are much better. Do your self and your knees a big favor while you are young and try a podiatrist.

Roots
01-31-2008, 09:44
========================================

I used to work at an outfitter and was trained to make the custom ones. Been a while since I've frequented any big city outfitters but several of them (including Mountain Crossings) used to have the SuperFeet Chair and people trained to make the custom footbeds. The Perimeter REI store had one as did the original Atlanta REI store. Call around and ask. I know there must still be some stores that offer the custom footbeds.

'Slogger
They have one of these in Asheville at Diamond Brand Outfitter in Arden. Try Great Outdoor Provision Company in Greenville. They are a good outfitter and a chain, they might have one.

Mrs Baggins
01-31-2008, 13:21
I have the flatest feet in the world. Absolutely no arch. What I found is to get a good work/sport insole, then lay in an arch support.

Then when hiking, my ankles turn inward putting extra pressure on my arch. So shoe wise, I would recommend a hiking boot or high top hiking shoe with cross training support. Something with a really sturdy ankle, nothing with fabric.

I got my new Hi -Tech Altitude boots yesterday (pair #4 - I won't wear anything else). While at the store I bought a pair of Powerstep insoles that promised arch support ( as well as an extra set of just the supports, put them under the insoles and viola - - walked around for the rest of the day and my feet felt great. Total cost for the insoles and supports - $35. I have a week before my podiatrist appt for new orthotics so I'll put all the miles I can on the boots before then and if I'm not in pain then I'll cancel the appt.