PDA

View Full Version : Dreams on the Trail

MOWGLI
01-30-2008, 15:28
I had a dream last night (at home) that prompted me to start this thread.

Does anyone else here tend to have zanier and more vivid dreams when they are out in the backcountry. I have noticed that while I'm in my tent while backpacking, I tend to have lots of short crazy little dreams. Is there anyone else that this happens to? My hiking partner Mark told me the same thing usually happens to him. Maybe it's the fresh air.

Lone Wolf
01-30-2008, 15:31
yup. increased exercise

Freeleo
01-30-2008, 15:33
zainy yes but i never remember the details of the dreams just that they are more weird than usual.... they usually are more bizarre when i am alone then when out with someone...that is what i was thinking on my last solo trip

Footslogger
01-30-2008, 15:34
[quote=MOWGLI;517557]
Does anyone else here tend to have zanier and more vivid dreams when they are out in the backcountry.

====================================

Yeah, I do. I've always thought it was the different sights and sounds than I am used to at home.

'Slogger

MOWGLI
01-30-2008, 15:35
OK, now for last nights CRAZY dream. My wife woke me last night and told me the power had gone out with the storm. We each have clock radios on our nightstands. Hers was blinking. She asked me to look at mine - because a stack of books was blocking her view. Mine (a Bose Wave Radio) wasn't blinking. It was 4 AM.

I went back to sleep. I then had a dream that went like this;

My cell phone was ringing, so I answered it. Here's the conversation that ensued;

Female voice: "Yes, Sir."
Me: "Excuse me"
Me: "Excuse me. Who is this."
Female voice: "You called last night and informed me you had a power outage and needed a wake-up call. It's 5 AM. This is your wake-up call."

With that, I woke up, sat up, and looked at my clock radio. It was EXACTLY 5:00 AM. :eek:

Talk about spooky!

JAK
01-30-2008, 15:37
I had a waking dream once on the Fundy Footpath. Don't know what part of it was real and what was not. Part of it was the sound of the wing beats of a large bird of prey flying close overheard and across the other side of the creek I was camped at. I'm fairly sure that part was real. The second part was the heavy breathing and sniffing of bear. I'm fairly sure that part wasn't real, but you never know. It took me a few minutes to shake myself fully awake. Usually I snap awake pretty quick, but sometimes with these waking dreams I wake up when I'm still asleep, and so it takes awhile. I'm fairly sure if it was a real bear I would wake up pretty damn quick.

warraghiyagey
01-30-2008, 15:42
OK, now for last nights CRAZY dream. My wife woke me last night and told me the power had gone out with the storm. We each have clock radios on our nightstands. Hers was blinking. She asked me to look at mine - because a stack of books was blocking her view. Mine (a Bose Wave Radio) wasn't blinking. It was 4 AM.

I went back to sleep. I then had a dream that went like this;

My cell phone was ringing, so I answered it. Here's the conversation that ensued;

Me: "Excuse me"
Me: "Excuse me. Who is this."
Female voice: "You called last night and informed me you had a power outage and needed a wake-up call. It's 5 AM. This is your wake-up call."

With that, I woke up, sat up, and looked at my clock radio. It was EXACTLY 5:00 AM. :eek:

Talk about spooky!
Did you have mushrooms in your spaghetti sauce that night??:D

eric_plano
01-30-2008, 15:45
The only one I really remember is a repetitive dream I had while
aqua-blazing.

Every single night I had a dream that the tent was floating down the river and I was scrambling around at the edges trying to keep water from getting in. A couple of times I woke up on my hands and knees at the entrance to the tent. I was sad the aqua was over but happy the dream was gone :)

warraghiyagey
01-30-2008, 15:53
I had this dream
Where I relished
The fray
And the screaming filled my head all day

It was as though
I'd been spit here
Settled in
Into the pocket
Of a lighthouse on some rocky socket
Off the coast of France
Dear

One afternoon
Four thousand men
Died in the water
Here
And five hundred more were thrashing madly
As parasites might
In your blood

I was in a life boat
Designed for ten and ten only
Anything
That systematic
Could get you hated
It's not a deal nor a test nor a love of something fated

The selection was quick
The crew was picked
In order
And those left in the water
Got kicked off our pant legs
And we headed for home

Any way
Susan
If you like
Our conversation
It's as faint a sound
In my memory
As your fingernails
Scratching on my hull

-Gordon Downie-

MOWGLI
01-30-2008, 15:57
Did you have mushrooms in your spaghetti sauce that night??:D

No, but I once met three different people in the same week who all told me similar stories about eating the local mushrooms and then climbing to the top of a Mayan temple in Palenque, Mexico. :eek: Context: At the time, I was planning a trip to Chiapas, so I was asking around about the region.

True story.

Footslogger
01-30-2008, 15:58
[quote=MOWGLI;517618]No, but I once met three different people in the same week who all told me similar stories about eating the local mushrooms and then climbing to the top of a Mayan temple in Palenque, Mexico.
=============================

There's a market for mushrooms like that !!

'Slogger

Freeleo
01-30-2008, 16:03
i was going to mention that MOWG and JAK should stop mushroom hunting from cow dung while hiking..... they do that is the book of Ezekiel....makes people thing the see things flying saucers in the sky:)

warraghiyagey
01-30-2008, 16:05
makes people thing the see things flying saucers in the sky:)
That's easy for you to say.http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/laughing013.gif

wilconow
01-30-2008, 16:08
I had a dream last night (at home) that prompted me to start this thread.

Does anyone else here tend to have zanier and more vivid dreams when they are out in the backcountry. I have noticed that while I'm in my tent while backpacking, I tend to have lots of short crazy little dreams. Is there anyone else that this happens to? My hiking partner Mark told me the same thing usually happens to him. Maybe it's the fresh air.

I tend to think this has to do with the fact that I don't get a real deep sleep in the backcountry, therefore I'm more aware of my dreams.

Blissful
01-30-2008, 16:09
My dreams were much more vivid on the trail. The one I recall is following white blazes through this huge museum (like a Smithsonian-type museum in DC).

Pennsylvania Rose
01-30-2008, 16:23
I tend to have more vivid dreams, and remember them better, during my more restful sleeps at home. My dreams while backpacking are vivid and memorable, so I assume my sleep is more restful - maybe the fresh air and exercise?

One night I was camping in Jarrard Gap. I half awoke to the sound of a helicopter echoing off the mountains. I assume it was the Army. Anyway, I spent the rest of the night dreaming about being kidnapped by aliens.

Dogwood
01-30-2008, 18:10
Oh Yeah! Melatonin, Mushrooms, Wilderness, and Big Time Dreams!

fivel
01-30-2008, 18:28
SGT Rock's had some crazy dreams described in his trail journal...

Lilred
01-30-2008, 18:32
I've had dreams come true in the past so I think I have subconciously made myself forget my dreams. I haven't remembered a dream in years. Suits me just fine......

Lion King
01-30-2008, 18:58
I have the best dreams while hiking.

Sometimes some of them are off the charts odd, but still usualyl very vibrant and realistic.

In 1998, most of my dreams in GA/NC/TN revolved aroung a grey wolf that seemed to be leading/following me, but only in my dreams, and after I hit Damascus they stopped.

Mags
01-30-2008, 19:23
I often dream of being on the trail again...does that count?

bfitz
01-30-2008, 19:31
I dreamed I saw the silver spaceships fly....

map man
01-31-2008, 00:01
Very cool dream, Lion King.

Nice Neil Young quote, bfitz. The very first day of my first backpacking trip two years ago I had a Neil Young song, "I am a Child," in my head for good stretches of the day. And I don't mean in an annoying ear-worm sense -- I liked having it in my head. Even sang it out loud a time or two (when I was sure nobody was within miles of me:D).

But back to the thread topic. I, too, have more vivid dreams on the trail, though not particularly crazy. They always seem to be benign and pleasant.

SGT Rock
01-31-2008, 00:06
I've had some humdinggers recently.

warraghiyagey
01-31-2008, 01:05
I've had some humdinggers recently.
He said without divulging.

Smile
01-31-2008, 01:36
In 1998, most of my dreams in GA/NC/TN revolved aroung a grey wolf that seemed to be leading/following me, but only in my dreams, and after I hit Damascus they stopped.

What a dream ;)

kayak karl
01-31-2008, 04:05
It was about three feet and half high, with a head like a collie dog and a face like a horse. It had a long neck, wings about two feet long, and its back legs were like those of a crane, and it had horse's hooves. It walked on its back legs and held up two short front legs with paws on them. It didn't use the front legs at all while we were watching.
I were scared, I tell you, but I managed to open the window and say, 'Shoo', and it turned around barked at me, and flew away.:D

MOWGLI
01-31-2008, 07:15
I dreamed I saw the silver spaceships fly....

In the yellow haze of the sun?

PS: I am the chosen one. :sun